Map a drive.

Hi Im having problems mapping a drive, i go into my computer and use the map
a drive tool, type the name of the computer i want to map to \\someName and
it says it cant find the computer, but i know the name is correct, both
computers are running windoxs xp sp2. also when i try to gain access using
the Run and \\someName it still wont work... any help?
--
Sean McBrien
3 answers Last reply

    Make sure they are in the same workgroup and/or domain. If workgroup, make
    sure you have the exact same userID/password account created on both
    computers.

    -Frank

    "Sean McBrien" <seanthesheep1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Im having problems mapping a drive, i go into my computer and use the
    > map
    > a drive tool, type the name of the computer i want to map to \\someName
    > and
    > it says it cant find the computer, but i know the name is correct, both
    > computers are running windoxs xp sp2. also when i try to gain access using
    > the Run and \\someName it still wont work... any help?
    > --
    > Sean McBrien

    Can you ping the other computer? Is either running a firewall? Is it
    configured correctly?
    Open a command prompt and type >start \\someName What error code is
    returned?

    (It is not necessary that the computers be in the same workgroup.)
    --

    "Sean McBrien" <seanthesheep1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Im having problems mapping a drive, i go into my computer and use the
    > map
    > a drive tool, type the name of the computer i want to map to \\someName
    > and
    > it says it cant find the computer, but i know the name is correct, both
    > computers are running windoxs xp sp2. also when i try to gain access using
    > the Run and \\someName it still wont work... any help?
    > --
    > Sean McBrien

    Try pinging the other PC - if that works then use the IP addy to map the
    drive

    - Brian

    "Sean McBrien" <seanthesheep1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Im having problems mapping a drive, i go into my computer and use the
    > map
    > a drive tool, type the name of the computer i want to map to \\someName
    > and
    > it says it cant find the computer, but i know the name is correct, both
    > computers are running windoxs xp sp2. also when i try to gain access using
    > the Run and \\someName it still wont work... any help?
    > --
    > Sean McBrien

Computers Wireless Networking