Map a drive.

Hi Im having problems mapping a drive, i go into my computer and use the map
a drive tool, type the name of the computer i want to map to \\someName and
it says it cant find the computer, but i know the name is correct, both
computers are running windoxs xp sp2. also when i try to gain access using
the Run and \\someName it still wont work... any help?
--
Sean McBrien

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Make sure they are in the same workgroup and/or domain. If workgroup, make
sure you have the exact same userID/password account created on both
computers.

-Frank

"Sean McBrien" <seanthesheep1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Im having problems mapping a drive, i go into my computer and use the
> map
> a drive tool, type the name of the computer i want to map to \\someName
> and
> it says it cant find the computer, but i know the name is correct, both
> computers are running windoxs xp sp2. also when i try to gain access using
> the Run and \\someName it still wont work... any help?
> --
> Sean McBrien

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Can you ping the other computer? Is either running a firewall? Is it
configured correctly?
Open a command prompt and type >start \\someName What error code is
returned?

(It is not necessary that the computers be in the same workgroup.)
--

"Sean McBrien" <seanthesheep1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Im having problems mapping a drive, i go into my computer and use the
> map
> a drive tool, type the name of the computer i want to map to \\someName
> and
> it says it cant find the computer, but i know the name is correct, both
> computers are running windoxs xp sp2. also when i try to gain access using
> the Run and \\someName it still wont work... any help?
> --
> Sean McBrien

Try pinging the other PC - if that works then use the IP addy to map the
drive

- Brian