windows me update cd?

Kay

Does anyone know where I can still get the windows me update cd that
microsoft offered a while back? I didn't find out about it until now
and they're no longer offering it.

Thanks,
Kay

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The ME upgrade CD came out over 4 years ago; that's why they are not still
offering it; it's been superseded.

Yur best bet on getting it is searching eBay.

"kay" <ktdville@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know where I can still get the windows me update cd that
> microsoft offered a while back? I didn't find out about it until now
> and they're no longer offering it.
>
> Thanks,
> Kay

Kay

Yes, I'm talking about the Microsoft Windows Security Update CD.
Apparently, I am very out of touch. I'm just now hearing about the ms
windows security cd and I've never heard of The ME upgrade CD. I
imagine there's not much chance of finding an ME upgrade CD but I'm
really hoping to find the security cd.
Thanks,
Kay
Alan Edwards wrote:
> That is assuming Kay is not talking about this:
>
> Microsoft Windows Security Update CD
> February 2004
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Jerry"
> <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:
>
> >The ME upgrade CD came out over 4 years ago; that's why they are not
still
> >offering it; it's been superseded.
> >
> >Yur best bet on getting it is searching eBay.
> >
> >"kay" <ktdville@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Does anyone know where I can still get the windows me update cd
that
> >> microsoft offered a while back? I didn't find out about it until
now
> >> and they're no longer offering it.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Kay

That is assuming Kay is not talking about this:

Microsoft Windows Security Update CD
February 2004

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Jerry"
<NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:

>The ME upgrade CD came out over 4 years ago; that's why they are not still
>offering it; it's been superseded.
>
>Yur best bet on getting it is searching eBay.
>
>"kay" <ktdville@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know where I can still get the windows me update cd that
>> microsoft offered a while back? I didn't find out about it until now
>> and they're no longer offering it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kay

Kay

Hello,
Thanks for all the help. Someone has kindly offered to send me a copy
of the cd. And Shane, thanks for telling me how I can still use the cd
if it's timed out.
Kay

WTC (remove) wrote:
> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > The upgrade cd is just a copy of Windows ME requiring a qualifying
> > product,
> > eg a Win 98 cd, before it'll install, as opposed to a full version.
> >
> > If you get hold of a copy of the Windows Security Update cd, be
advised
> > that
> > it was programmed not to run after a certain date (no doubt because
an
> > out-of-date security cd could feasibly be a liability to the user
and a
> > legal liability for MS).
> >
> > However, the routine that checks the date can be circumvented in a
no. of
> > ways. Simplest - though I haven't verified it, but it would explain
my
> > experience of about a week ago testing it on ME and XP - is to
disable
> > javascript before inserting the cd.
> >
> > Alternatively you can run each update by browsing the cd in
explorer and
> > double-clicking the relevent executables.
> >
> > Or you can copy the cd to the hard drive and remove the relevent
lines of
> > code from control.htm, after which the 'cd' would run from the hard
drive
> > (by d-clicking autorun.exe iirc).
> >
> > Or having removed said lines of code you could then burn the files
to a
> > cdr
> > thus obtaining a copy of the cd that will thereafter run
indefinately.

> > Shane

There is no Win Me update or upgrade CD (unless you mean to upgrade from
Win 9x), the Security Update CD was for Win 98, 98SE, Win Me, Win2K and
XP.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

> [...]

> code from control.htm, after which the 'cd' would run from the hard drive
> (by d-clicking autorun.exe iirc).
>
> Or having removed said lines of code you could then burn the files to a
> cdr
> thus obtaining a copy of the cd that will thereafter run indefinately.
>

> Shane
>

> "kay" <ktdville@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, I'm talking about the Microsoft Windows Security Update CD.
>> Apparently, I am very out of touch. I'm just now hearing about the ms
>> windows security cd and I've never heard of The ME upgrade CD. I
>> imagine there's not much chance of finding an ME upgrade CD but I'm
>> really hoping to find the security cd.
>> Thanks,
>> Kay
>> Alan Edwards wrote:
>> > That is assuming Kay is not talking about this:

Or you can change your clock back to March 2004.

--
William

As you have ME already, then I don't see that you need the Upgrade CD,
so just concentrate on the Microsoft Windows Security Update CD.
Perhaps someone in or about Columbus, OH will answer your plea.
If not, then just get the updates slowly from Windows Update.

....Alan

--

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "kay" <ktdville@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Yes, I'm talking about the Microsoft Windows Security Update CD.
>Apparently, I am very out of touch. I'm just now hearing about the ms
>windows security cd and I've never heard of The ME upgrade CD. I
>imagine there's not much chance of finding an ME upgrade CD but I'm
>really hoping to find the security cd.
>Thanks,
>Kay
>Alan Edwards wrote:
>> That is assuming Kay is not talking about this:
>>
>> Microsoft Windows Security Update CD
>> February 2004
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Jerry"
>> <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:
>>
>> >The ME upgrade CD came out over 4 years ago; that's why they are not
>still
>> >offering it; it's been superseded.
>> >
>> >Yur best bet on getting it is searching eBay.
>> >
>> >"kay" <ktdville@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>that
>now

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

upgrade either. She wants both.

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> As you have ME already, then I don't see that you need the Upgrade CD,
> so just concentrate on the Microsoft Windows Security Update CD.
> Perhaps someone in or about Columbus, OH will answer your plea.
> If not, then just get the updates slowly from Windows Update.
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>

> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "kay" <ktdville@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Yes, I'm talking about the Microsoft Windows Security Update CD.
>>Apparently, I am very out of touch. I'm just now hearing about the ms
>>windows security cd and I've never heard of The ME upgrade CD. I
>>imagine there's not much chance of finding an ME upgrade CD but I'm
>>really hoping to find the security cd.
>>Thanks,
>>Kay
>>Alan Edwards wrote:
>>> That is assuming Kay is not talking about this:
>>>
>>> Microsoft Windows Security Update CD
>>> February 2004
>>>
>>> ...Alan
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>>> http://dts-l.org/index.html

>>still

>>that
>>now

I have reread it.
Just because she has never heard of the Upgrade CD is no indication
that she needs it.
Why do you think she needs an Upgrade CD if she has ME already?

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Jerry"
<NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:

>upgrade either. She wants both.
>
>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> As you have ME already, then I don't see that you need the Upgrade CD,
>> so just concentrate on the Microsoft Windows Security Update CD.
>> Perhaps someone in or about Columbus, OH will answer your plea.
>> If not, then just get the updates slowly from Windows Update.
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>

>> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "kay" <ktdville@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, I'm talking about the Microsoft Windows Security Update CD.
>>>Apparently, I am very out of touch. I'm just now hearing about the ms
>>>windows security cd and I've never heard of The ME upgrade CD. I
>>>imagine there's not much chance of finding an ME upgrade CD but I'm
>>>really hoping to find the security cd.
>>>Thanks,
>>>Kay

>>>still

>>>that
>>>now

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Because in her second posting she says she has never heard of the ME upgrade
CD.

>I have reread it.
> Just because she has never heard of the Upgrade CD is no indication
> that she needs it.
> Why do you think she needs an Upgrade CD if she has ME already?
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Jerry"
> <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:

>>upgrade either. She wants both.
>>
>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>>> As you have ME already, then I don't see that you need the Upgrade CD,
>>> so just concentrate on the Microsoft Windows Security Update CD.
>>> Perhaps someone in or about Columbus, OH will answer your plea.
>>> If not, then just get the updates slowly from Windows Update.
>>>
>>> ...Alan
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>>> http://dts-l.org/index.html

It may not time out. It didn't for me and I don't see why it should,
(but someone may tell me), looking at control.htm

I have used it on two computers after the supposed time out date and
had no trouble. Both were offline at the time and that may be a
factor.

Are you really sure you need this CD?
I have used it on computers with no internet connection or a slow
dial-up line but I haven't seen any need to use it on any computers
that have had access to Windows Update and hence don't need the CD.

....Alan

--

wrote:

>Hello,
>Thanks for all the help. Someone has kindly offered to send me a copy
>of the cd. And Shane, thanks for telling me how I can still use the cd
>if it's timed out.
>Kay
>
>WTC (remove) wrote:
>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > The upgrade cd is just a copy of Windows ME requiring a qualifying
>> > product,
>> > eg a Win 98 cd, before it'll install, as opposed to a full version.
>> >
>> > If you get hold of a copy of the Windows Security Update cd, be
>advised
>> > that
>> > it was programmed not to run after a certain date (no doubt because
>an
>> > out-of-date security cd could feasibly be a liability to the user
>and a
>> > legal liability for MS).
>> >
>> > However, the routine that checks the date can be circumvented in a
>no. of
>> > ways. Simplest - though I haven't verified it, but it would explain
>my
>> > experience of about a week ago testing it on ME and XP - is to
>disable
>> > javascript before inserting the cd.
>> >
>> > Alternatively you can run each update by browsing the cd in
>explorer and
>> > double-clicking the relevent executables.
>> >
>> > Or you can copy the cd to the hard drive and remove the relevent
>lines of
>> > code from control.htm, after which the 'cd' would run from the hard
>drive
>> > (by d-clicking autorun.exe iirc).
>> >
>> > Or having removed said lines of code you could then burn the files
>to a
>> > cdr
>> > thus obtaining a copy of the cd that will thereafter run
>indefinately.
>> >

>> > Shane

I used the CD without problem on a clean install of 98SE last weekend for
a friend who only has slow dial-up access to the net and had no date
problems, just prior to that I tested it for myself on virgin Win Me
install in a virtual PC and again didn't need to play with the dates.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Alan Edwards <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote:

> It may not time out. It didn't for me and I don't see why it should,
> (but someone may tell me), looking at control.htm
>
> I have used it on two computers after the supposed time out date and
> had no trouble. Both were offline at the time and that may be a
> factor.
>
> Are you really sure you need this CD?
> I have used it on computers with no internet connection or a slow
> dial-up line but I haven't seen any need to use it on any computers
> that have had access to Windows Update and hence don't need the CD.

Perhaps only the NT, W2K, XP side of the family times out for this 2004
Security Update CD?
Those with a Virtual PC copy of XP may wish to check.

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> I used the CD without problem on a clean install of 98SE last weekend for
> a friend who only has slow dial-up access to the net and had no date
> problems, just prior to that I tested it for myself on virgin Win Me
> install in a virtual PC and again didn't need to play with the dates.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Alan Edwards <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote:
>
> > It may not time out. It didn't for me and I don't see why it should,
> > (but someone may tell me), looking at control.htm
> >
> > I have used it on two computers after the supposed time out date and
> > had no trouble. Both were offline at the time and that may be a
> > factor.
> >
> > Are you really sure you need this CD?
> > I have used it on computers with no internet connection or a slow
> > dial-up line but I haven't seen any need to use it on any computers
> > that have had access to Windows Update and hence don't need the CD.

This is so. The 2K/XP side times out, the 9x side does not.

Maybe this means Microsoft still loves Windows Me?

:)

> Perhaps only the NT, W2K, XP side of the family times out for this 2004
> Security Update CD?
> Those with a Virtual PC copy of XP may wish to check.

> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
>> I used the CD without problem on a clean install of 98SE last weekend for
>> a friend who only has slow dial-up access to the net and had no date
>> problems, just prior to that I tested it for myself on virgin Win Me
>> install in a virtual PC and again didn't need to play with the dates.
>> --
>> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>>

>> Alan Edwards <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> > It may not time out. It didn't for me and I don't see why it should,
>> > (but someone may tell me), looking at control.htm
>> >
>> > I have used it on two computers after the supposed time out date and
>> > had no trouble. Both were offline at the time and that may be a
>> > factor.
>> >
>> > Are you really sure you need this CD?
>> > I have used it on computers with no internet connection or a slow
>> > dial-up line but I haven't seen any need to use it on any computers
>> > that have had access to Windows Update and hence don't need the CD.

Shane

Well, I'm glad you lot have added this. I really didn't want to re-install
just to test this and thought I could go by OCD Greg's claim that it no
longer works in Win 98.

(I don't want to re-install Win 98 either).

Shane

> This is so. The 2K/XP side times out, the 9x side does not.
>
> Maybe this means Microsoft still loves Windows Me?
>
> :)

> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > Perhaps only the NT, W2K, XP side of the family times out for this 2004
> > Security Update CD?
> > Those with a Virtual PC copy of XP may wish to check.
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> >> I used the CD without problem on a clean install of 98SE last weekend
for
> >> a friend who only has slow dial-up access to the net and had no date
> >> problems, just prior to that I tested it for myself on virgin Win Me
> >> install in a virtual PC and again didn't need to play with the dates.
> >> --
> >> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> >> mike.maltby@gmail.com

FWIW, I have tried it on both Win98 and Win Me since it supposedly
expires.
No problems.
Yes, I followed the thread in Win98.gen_discussion for a while though
I soon gave up.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Shane"
<arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well, I'm glad you lot have added this. I really didn't want to re-install
>just to test this and thought I could go by OCD Greg's claim that it no
>longer works in Win 98.
>
>(I don't want to re-install Win 98 either).
>

>Shane
>

>"Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> This is so. The 2K/XP side times out, the 9x side does not.
>>
>> Maybe this means Microsoft still loves Windows Me?
>>
>> :)
>>
>> --
>> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
>> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>>

>> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
>> > Perhaps only the NT, W2K, XP side of the family times out for this 2004
>> > Security Update CD?
>> > Those with a Virtual PC copy of XP may wish to check.
>> > --
>> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>> >
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
>> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>> > ------
>> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
>for

I suspect MS's reasoning is that there are so few, and only critical
updates, for the Win9X side that older updates are less of an issue, while
the XP side has numerous critical updates, so it is preferable to obtain the
most recent cumulative updates to be fully protected and effective.
But Bill doesn't tell me anything useful anymore <bg>.

Thanks for reporting, Richard. I consider it good news.

> FWIW, I have tried it on both Win98 and Win Me since it supposedly
> expires.
> No problems.
> Yes, I followed the thread in Win98.gen_discussion for a while though
> I soon gave up.
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Shane"
> <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Well, I'm glad you lot have added this. I really didn't want to
re-install
> >just to test this and thought I could go by OCD Greg's claim that it no
> >longer works in Win 98.
> >
> >(I don't want to re-install Win 98 either).
> >

> >Shane
> >

> >"Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
> >> This is so. The 2K/XP side times out, the 9x side does not.
> >>
> >> Maybe this means Microsoft still loves Windows Me?
> >>
> >> :)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> >> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> >> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> >> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> >> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >>

> >> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message

> >for

CD.

XP's SP2 was known to be arriving during 2004 so limiting the time scale
during which the security update CD could be used on systems running XP
was, with hindsight, probably to be expected. Sadly the same logic
doesn't explain why Microsoft might have limited the use of the CD with
systems running W2K where SP4 had already been released.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

> I suspect MS's reasoning is that there are so few, and only critical
> updates, for the Win9X side that older updates are less of an issue,
> while the XP side has numerous critical updates, so it is preferable
> to obtain the most recent cumulative updates to be fully protected
> and effective.
> But Bill doesn't tell me anything useful anymore <bg>.
>
> Thanks for reporting, Richard. I consider it good news.
..

I agree: Does this mean that "management" listens to you about as well as
to me?

Most errors like this are simply due to oversight under extreme time
pressures, and are not the result of careful consideration.
The unintended consequences thing ...