agp recommendation?

My monitor is starting to strange random colour and brightness changes. I
am not totally sure if the monitor is at fault (it *is* an old NEC MultiSync
3FGx, but it has been the most reliable compared to a few other monitors
I've been using on other pc's). When I wiggle the video cable slightly near
the card connector, the colour/brightness problem re-occurs. I've tightened
the connection as much as possible. I've also opened the pc case and have
reseated the video card. But the problem is still the same.

The current video card is a GeForce MX AGP with 32meg ram.

The next product I am looking at that seems affordable (under $30 cdn) is an
ATI All-in-Wonder RADEON 9000pro AGP with 64meg ram.

Does anyone have any info about compatibilty of the ATI product with WinME?

Just a thought - if it will fit, turn the cable around (end-to-end) and see
if the problem shifts to the monitor end = faulty video cable.

Mart

"Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
> My monitor is starting to strange random colour and brightness changes. I
> am not totally sure if the monitor is at fault (it *is* an old NEC
> MultiSync
> 3FGx, but it has been the most reliable compared to a few other monitors
> I've been using on other pc's). When I wiggle the video cable slightly
> near
> the card connector, the colour/brightness problem re-occurs. I've
> tightened
> the connection as much as possible. I've also opened the pc case and have
> reseated the video card. But the problem is still the same.
>
> The current video card is a GeForce MX AGP with 32meg ram.
>
> The next product I am looking at that seems affordable (under $30 cdn) is
> an
> ATI All-in-Wonder RADEON 9000pro AGP with 64meg ram.
>
> Does anyone have any info about compatibilty of the ATI product with
> WinME?

The cable at the monitor end is permanent.

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message...
> Just a thought - if it will fit, turn the cable around (end-to-end) and
see
> if the problem shifts to the monitor end = faulty video cable.

I've had no problems in using various ATI cards with Win Me although I've
never used an All-In-Wonder. Cards I've used include Radeon 7000, 9000
and 9200s as well as an old Rage. Note though that all the cards I've
used have been produced by third parties (Sapphire, Gigabyte, etc) using
ATI chips, since ATI don't sell directly here in Europe.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Ogg <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote:

> My monitor is starting to strange random colour and brightness
> changes. I am not totally sure if the monitor is at fault (it *is*
> an old NEC MultiSync 3FGx, but it has been the most reliable compared
> to a few other monitors I've been using on other pc's). When I
> wiggle the video cable slightly near the card connector, the
> colour/brightness problem re-occurs. I've tightened the connection
> as much as possible. I've also opened the pc case and have reseated
> the video card. But the problem is still the same.
>
> The current video card is a GeForce MX AGP with 32meg ram.
>
> The next product I am looking at that seems affordable (under $30
> cdn) is an ATI All-in-Wonder RADEON 9000pro AGP with 64meg ram.
>
> Does anyone have any info about compatibilty of the ATI product with
> WinME?

Thanks for you thoughts on this. The colour/brightness dance seems to have
settled down now (computer has been on for about 4 hours. I'm NOT going to
disturb the situation! Later.. I'll consider connecting another monitor
that is known good.

As additional info.. a strange thing happened when I first turned on the
computer today: the computer booted up in 16 colour mode (and low res), and
a prompt appeared that said that one or more devices are conflicting with
the Video. There was nothing else I could do except a "reset" via a toggle
switch on the front panel of the pc. After that, the pc video kicked into
gear just fine! (full 1024x768), but there was one more warning on screen -
something like this, "Your video file that controls placement of icon on the
desktop, may be corrupt." Well.. I could do was "OK" and the computer
booted up normally with all the desktop icons in place.

So.. does this point a video card issue? or.. would there be something
inherently wrong with the AGP at the mobo level, I wonder?

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote...
> I've had no problems in using various ATI cards with Win Me although I've
> never used an All-In-Wonder. Cards I've used include Radeon 7000, 9000
> and 9200s as well as an old Rage. Note though that all the cards I've
> used have been produced by third parties (Sapphire, Gigabyte, etc) using
> ATI chips, since ATI don't sell directly here in Europe.

> So.. does this point a video card issue? or.. would there be
> something inherently wrong with the AGP at the mobo level, I wonder?

Not necessarily so. It might pay you to try reinstalling your video
drivers (you may have already done so). I know you've tried reseating the
card but it might be worth removing it again and making sure both the AGP
slot and the teeth on the card are all clean and free of dust and other
debris.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com