scandisk & defrag

I have windows me. I can only run scandisk & defrag in safe mode. Can anyone
tell me what to?

If they OK in Safe Mode, download and install ScanDefrag v5.0.

This is a FREE utility, written by several well respected contributors to
these News Groups and has been designed to run several original MS utilities
through a 'filter' which eliminates the usual junk which stops Scandisk (and
Defrag) from running properly in Normal Mode - as you are already
experiencing <g>

You can get ScanDefrag at either of the two sites below - and be sure to
read the associated notes for setting it up:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/index.html

HTH and good luck

Mart

"ecke" <ecke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have windows me. I can only run scandisk & defrag in safe mode. Can
>anyone
> tell me what to?

Mart:

Is this utility operable under WinME besides WinXP?
If so, I like it and will need it too.
Thank you.

Harry.

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> If they OK in Safe Mode, download and install ScanDefrag v5.0.
>
> This is a FREE utility, written by several well respected contributors to
> these News Groups and has been designed to run several original MS
utilities
> through a 'filter' which eliminates the usual junk which stops Scandisk
(and
> Defrag) from running properly in Normal Mode - as you are already
> experiencing <g>
>
> You can get ScanDefrag at either of the two sites below - and be sure to
> read the associated notes for setting it up:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
> http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/index.html
>
> HTH and good luck
>
> Mart
>

> "ecke" <ecke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have windows me. I can only run scandisk & defrag in safe mode. Can
> >anyone
> > tell me what to?

Shane

Hi Harry,

If Mart doesn't mind my butting in (again) - ScanDefrag was written for
WinME and works best (IMO) in ME and 98 (actually there's no real point of
ScanDefrag for XP that I'm aware of).

Shane

> Mart:
>
> Is this utility operable under WinME besides WinXP?
> If so, I like it and will need it too.
> Thank you.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> If they OK in Safe Mode, download and install ScanDefrag v5.0.
>>
>> This is a FREE utility, written by several well respected contributors to
>> these News Groups and has been designed to run several original MS
> utilities
>> through a 'filter' which eliminates the usual junk which stops Scandisk
> (and
>> Defrag) from running properly in Normal Mode - as you are already
>> experiencing <g>
>>
>> You can get ScanDefrag at either of the two sites below - and be sure to
>> read the associated notes for setting it up:
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
>> http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/index.html
>>
>> HTH and good luck
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "ecke" <ecke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have windows me. I can only run scandisk & defrag in safe mode. Can
>> >anyone
>> > tell me what to?

Cheers Shane, please feel free, you are most welcome (and encouraged) -
along with any one else who cares to join me in my replies. There are times
when I find myself as the 'solo' respondent of a longish thread, wishing
that one of you guys (and gals - Heather & Joan) would jump-in - if only for
moral support <g> These groups are open to all, I don't believe anyone has
the right to 'hog' a topic.

Back to this topic - Harry, I concur with Shane's reply. However, I have
only used it for WinMe and 98 - or more accurately, only when I was having
problems with both scandisk and defrag, but uninstalled it when I resolved
the underlying causes. It can also be used with other things besides
scandisk and defrag. I don't currently have it installed on my XP machines.

It's certainly a utility that I have recommended on a number of occasions on
these groups for scandisk/defrag issues and most follow-ups have reported
positive results. I suggest you take a look at the readme file link on the
web page for more detailed information and decide for yourself.

Mart

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Harry,
>
> If Mart doesn't mind my butting in (again) - ScanDefrag was written for
> WinME and works best (IMO) in ME and 98 (actually there's no real point of
> ScanDefrag for XP that I'm aware of).
>

> Shane
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Mart:
>>
>> Is this utility operable under WinME besides WinXP?
>> If so, I like it and will need it too.
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Harry.
>>

>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> If they OK in Safe Mode, download and install ScanDefrag v5.0.
>>>
>>> This is a FREE utility, written by several well respected contributors
>>> these News Groups and has been designed to run several original MS
>> utilities
>>> through a 'filter' which eliminates the usual junk which stops Scandisk
>> (and
>>> Defrag) from running properly in Normal Mode - as you are already
>>> experiencing <g>
>>>
>>> You can get ScanDefrag at either of the two sites below - and be sure to
>>> read the associated notes for setting it up:
>>> http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
>>> http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/index.html
>>>
>>> HTH and good luck
>>>
>>> Mart
>>>

>>> "ecke" <ecke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

But usually you are doing such a good job that I don't feel the need to
jump in <g> plus I wouldn't know what I was talking about half the time <g>
Joan

Mart wrote:
There are times
> when I find myself as the 'solo' respondent of a longish thread, wishing
> that one of you guys (and gals - Heather & Joan) would jump-in - if only for
> moral support <g>

Hey Joan, - I wouldn't say that - and, you often chip-in with some pretty
wise words, yourself.

Mart

"Joan Archer" <Joan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> But usually you are doing such a good job that I don't feel the need to
> jump in <g> plus I wouldn't know what I was talking about half the time
> <g>
> Joan
>
> Mart wrote:
> There are times
>> when I find myself as the 'solo' respondent of a longish thread, wishing
>> that one of you guys (and gals - Heather & Joan) would jump-in - if only
>> for moral support <g>

I'll second, and third, that!
Joanie knows when she is correct!

The journeling feature of file management in NTFS under W2K & XP makes
running chkdsk rather infrequent.
A third-party defragmenter is certainly preferable, if it can be afforded,
for speed and the additional features.
I would recommend Diskeeper and Perfect Disk, as choices.

ScanDefrag is excellent for Win9X. Great tool, esp., for the less
well-informed, or those lacking a process viewer to terminate undesired
programs.

Mart, if you find yourself wishing for aid in a long thread, just ask
quietly, as the last line of the post.
We don't wish to appear to step on your toes, esp. when you are doing such a
good job! <bg>

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> Hey Joan, - I wouldn't say that - and, you often chip-in with some pretty
> wise words, yourself.
>
> Mart
>

> "Joan Archer" <Joan@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > But usually you are doing such a good job that I don't feel the need to
> > jump in <g> plus I wouldn't know what I was talking about half the time
> > <g>
> > Joan
> >
> > Mart wrote:
> > There are times
> >> when I find myself as the 'solo' respondent of a longish thread,
wishing
> >> that one of you guys (and gals - Heather & Joan) would jump-in - if
only
> >> for moral support <g>

Shane:

My OS is WinME.
While you are here, I have another question:
Using the Windows Security Update CD after the crash, I encountered the
following message during install:
'An exeption or error ocurred while calling the function DLLinstall in
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\inetcpl.cpl".'
There were no problems later, should I be concerned?
Hope you see this and thanks for your input.

Harry.

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Harry,
>
> If Mart doesn't mind my butting in (again) - ScanDefrag was written for
> WinME and works best (IMO) in ME and 98 (actually there's no real point of
> ScanDefrag for XP that I'm aware of).
>

> Shane
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Mart:
> >
> > Is this utility operable under WinME besides WinXP?
> > If so, I like it and will need it too.
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> If they OK in Safe Mode, download and install ScanDefrag v5.0.
> >>
> >> This is a FREE utility, written by several well respected contributors
> >> these News Groups and has been designed to run several original MS
> > utilities
> >> through a 'filter' which eliminates the usual junk which stops Scandisk
> > (and
> >> Defrag) from running properly in Normal Mode - as you are already
> >> experiencing <g>
> >>
> >> You can get ScanDefrag at either of the two sites below - and be sure
> >> read the associated notes for setting it up:
> >> http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
> >> http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/index.html
> >>
> >> HTH and good luck
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "ecke" <ecke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

<lol> Thank you for those kind words Mart, but as I never have any
problems as such (that's tempting fate) I just use other peoples
remedies if I get the chance <vbg>
Joan

Mart wrote:
> Hey Joan, - I wouldn't say that - and, you often chip-in with some pretty
> wise words, yourself.
>
> Mart

<lol> Which isn't always so, but thank you for thinking otherwise <g>
I don't very often run chkdsk but do run defrag once a month and it
doesn't seem to take that long on my 80GB drive.
Joan

Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> I'll second, and third, that!
> Joanie knows when she is correct!

Shane

Hi Harry,

Should you be concerned? If there are no errors, then no, I don't believe
so. Inetcpl.cpl is the Internet Options program as accessed via the Control
Panel and by r-clicking the IE desktop icon and choosing *Properties*. I
should say that, if it works from both those locations and you're having no
internet or Internet Explorer trouble, what ever the issue was has probably
resolved itself.

Shane

> Shane:
>
> My OS is WinME.
> While you are here, I have another question:
> Using the Windows Security Update CD after the crash, I encountered the
> following message during install:
> 'An exeption or error ocurred while calling the function DLLinstall in
> "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\inetcpl.cpl".'
> There were no problems later, should I be concerned?
> Hope you see this and thanks for your input.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Harry,
>>
>> If Mart doesn't mind my butting in (again) - ScanDefrag was written for
>> WinME and works best (IMO) in ME and 98 (actually there's no real point
>> of
>> ScanDefrag for XP that I'm aware of).
>>

>> Shane
>>

>> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Mart:
>> >
>> > Is this utility operable under WinME besides WinXP?
>> > If so, I like it and will need it too.
>> > Thank you.
>> >
>> > Harry.
>> >

>> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message

>> > utilities
>> > (and

Shane:

Both r-clicks on IE work fine and no trouble with the Explorer either. That
means things must have worked themselves out.
I do get lucky sometimes and thankfully so.
All I need to do from now on is to be patient, as Jack already mentioned.
The way it looks, I am back to normal, except for the 36 or so hidden
gigabytes, which I eventually hope to unhide with the help of my recovered
PM8 and without the error message about a faulty partition table.
I already had it show me details about my current partition status,
including the missing g-bytes.
But actually running it after carefully backing everything up first, will be
way down the road.
Thanks for caring, Shane.

Harry.

> Hi Harry,
>
> Should you be concerned? If there are no errors, then no, I don't believe
> so. Inetcpl.cpl is the Internet Options program as accessed via the
Control
> Panel and by r-clicking the IE desktop icon and choosing *Properties*. I
> should say that, if it works from both those locations and you're having
no
> internet or Internet Explorer trouble, what ever the issue was has
probably
> resolved itself.
>

> Shane
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Shane:
> >
> > My OS is WinME.
> > While you are here, I have another question:
> > Using the Windows Security Update CD after the crash, I encountered the
> > following message during install:
> > 'An exeption or error ocurred while calling the function DLLinstall in
> > "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\inetcpl.cpl".'
> > There were no problems later, should I be concerned?
> > Hope you see this and thanks for your input.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi Harry,
> >>
> >> If Mart doesn't mind my butting in (again) - ScanDefrag was written for
> >> WinME and works best (IMO) in ME and 98 (actually there's no real point
> >> of
> >> ScanDefrag for XP that I'm aware of).
> >>

> >> Shane
> >>

> >> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

Can

Harry, if you properly backup your OS and personal data, and (most
important) read the user manual (i.e., RTFM!) and PDF file for the desired
operations in Partition Magic 8 BEFOREHAND, I don't think you have much to
worry about.
You sound pretty sharp here.

And you have us to help and advise BEFORE you do something really stupid.

> Shane:
>
> Both r-clicks on IE work fine and no trouble with the Explorer either.
That
> means things must have worked themselves out.
> I do get lucky sometimes and thankfully so.
> All I need to do from now on is to be patient, as Jack already mentioned.
> The way it looks, I am back to normal, except for the 36 or so hidden
> gigabytes, which I eventually hope to unhide with the help of my recovered
> PM8 and without the error message about a faulty partition table.
> I already had it show me details about my current partition status,
> including the missing g-bytes.
> But actually running it after carefully backing everything up first, will
be
> way down the road.
> Thanks for caring, Shane.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Harry,
> >
> > Should you be concerned? If there are no errors, then no, I don't
believe
> > so. Inetcpl.cpl is the Internet Options program as accessed via the
> Control
> > Panel and by r-clicking the IE desktop icon and choosing *Properties*. I
> > should say that, if it works from both those locations and you're having
> no
> > internet or Internet Explorer trouble, what ever the issue was has
> probably
> > resolved itself.
> >

> > Shane
> >

> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Shane:
> > >
> > > My OS is WinME.
> > > While you are here, I have another question:
> > > Using the Windows Security Update CD after the crash, I encountered
the
> > > following message during install:
> > > 'An exeption or error ocurred while calling the function DLLinstall in
> > > "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\inetcpl.cpl".'
> > > There were no problems later, should I be concerned?
> > > Hope you see this and thanks for your input.
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >

> > > "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> contributors

> sure

> Can

I have done my fill of "stupid things", Jack.
No more of that - I hope.
Thanks for the encouragement.
When I'm ready, I'll report here first.
Forever greatful,

Harry.

> Harry, if you properly backup your OS and personal data, and (most
> important) read the user manual (i.e., RTFM!) and PDF file for the desired
> operations in Partition Magic 8 BEFOREHAND, I don't think you have much to
> worry about.
> You sound pretty sharp here.
>
> And you have us to help and advise BEFORE you do something really stupid.

> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Shane:
> >
> > Both r-clicks on IE work fine and no trouble with the Explorer either.
> That
> > means things must have worked themselves out.
> > I do get lucky sometimes and thankfully so.
> > All I need to do from now on is to be patient, as Jack already
mentioned.
> > The way it looks, I am back to normal, except for the 36 or so hidden
> > gigabytes, which I eventually hope to unhide with the help of my
recovered
> > PM8 and without the error message about a faulty partition table.
> > I already had it show me details about my current partition status,
> > including the missing g-bytes.
> > But actually running it after carefully backing everything up first,
will
> be
> > way down the road.
> > Thanks for caring, Shane.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Harry,
> > >
> > > Should you be concerned? If there are no errors, then no, I don't
> believe
> > > so. Inetcpl.cpl is the Internet Options program as accessed via the
> > Control
> > > Panel and by r-clicking the IE desktop icon and choosing *Properties*.
> > > should say that, if it works from both those locations and you're
having
> > no
> > > internet or Internet Explorer trouble, what ever the issue was has
> > probably
> > > resolved itself.
> > >

> > > Shane
> > >

> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

> the

> for
> point

> > contributors
MS

> > sure

> > Can

You're good to go, big guy.

> I have done my fill of "stupid things", Jack.
> No more of that - I hope.
> Thanks for the encouragement.
> When I'm ready, I'll report here first.
> Forever greatful,
>
> Harry.
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > Harry, if you properly backup your OS and personal data, and (most
> > important) read the user manual (i.e., RTFM!) and PDF file for the
desired
> > operations in Partition Magic 8 BEFOREHAND, I don't think you have much
> > worry about.
> > You sound pretty sharp here.
> >
> > And you have us to help and advise BEFORE you do something really
stupid.
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Shane:
> > >
> > > Both r-clicks on IE work fine and no trouble with the Explorer either.
> > That
> > > means things must have worked themselves out.
> > > I do get lucky sometimes and thankfully so.
> > > All I need to do from now on is to be patient, as Jack already
> mentioned.
> > > The way it looks, I am back to normal, except for the 36 or so hidden
> > > gigabytes, which I eventually hope to unhide with the help of my
> recovered
> > > PM8 and without the error message about a faulty partition table.
> > > I already had it show me details about my current partition status,
> > > including the missing g-bytes.
> > > But actually running it after carefully backing everything up first,
> will
> > be
> > > way down the road.
> > > Thanks for caring, Shane.