Unable to create bootup floppy

Greetings.
Working on my sister's machine Pavilion 7840 766Mhz 64MB RAM WinME, I have
everything working, updated, and startup preferences set. I wish to make a
full backup on CDR(W) for the 6GB of used space. Reading somewhere, I
should have a floppy boot disk created to get the CD-ROM drives recognized
to be used to reinstall the backup. Attempting such, I get a list of files
not found with the extension of .ebd. Searching manually on the restoration
disks and hard drive, I can only find a folder under Windows named EBD but
the extensions are mostly .sys. Can anyone tell me where to find these
files? If I could find a backup program that creates a bootable CD, that
would eliminate the need of a floopy boot disk, right? But I wouldn't feel
good about giving this machine back knowing it can't make a floppy boot
disk. I'd appreciate some advise on this. Thank you!
B.rgds,
Kevin

A startup floppy disk is created in:

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Startup disk tab

Just grab a formatted floppy put it in the drive and follow the instructions.

Good luck,

Zee

"General Mailbox" <nospam@home.net> wrote in message news:eYgw1s6BFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Greetings.
> Working on my sister's machine Pavilion 7840 766Mhz 64MB RAM WinME, I have
> everything working, updated, and startup preferences set. I wish to make a
> full backup on CDR(W) for the 6GB of used space. Reading somewhere, I
> should have a floppy boot disk created to get the CD-ROM drives recognized
> to be used to reinstall the backup. Attempting such, I get a list of files
> not found with the extension of .ebd. Searching manually on the restoration
> disks and hard drive, I can only find a folder under Windows named EBD but
> the extensions are mostly .sys. Can anyone tell me where to find these
> files? If I could find a backup program that creates a bootable CD, that
> would eliminate the need of a floopy boot disk, right? But I wouldn't feel
> good about giving this machine back knowing it can't make a floppy boot
> disk. I'd appreciate some advise on this. Thank you!
> B.rgds,
> Kevin

Hi Zee.
The process is known to me. It comes up with certain files not found while
creating the disk.
Kevin

"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

A startup floppy disk is created in:

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Startup disk tab

Just grab a formatted floppy put it in the drive and follow the
instructions.

Good luck,

Zee

"General Mailbox" <nospam@home.net> wrote in message
> Greetings.
> Working on my sister's machine Pavilion 7840 766Mhz 64MB RAM WinME, I have
> everything working, updated, and startup preferences set. I wish to make
> full backup on CDR(W) for the 6GB of used space. Reading somewhere, I
> should have a floppy boot disk created to get the CD-ROM drives recognized
> to be used to reinstall the backup. Attempting such, I get a list of files
> not found with the extension of .ebd. Searching manually on the
restoration
> disks and hard drive, I can only find a folder under Windows named EBD but
> the extensions are mostly .sys. Can anyone tell me where to find these
> files? If I could find a backup program that creates a bootable CD, that
> would eliminate the need of a floopy boot disk, right? But I wouldn't
feel
> good about giving this machine back knowing it can't make a floppy boot
> disk. I'd appreciate some advise on this. Thank you!
> B.rgds,
> Kevin

Boot Disk:
If you don't have a boot floppy you can create a boot floppy (EBD) or
start up disk as follows:
Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Startup Disk and follow the prompts.

If you get asked for the location of a "missing" file point the wizard
towards your Win Me cab files which should be in either the
windows\options\cabs or windows\options\install folder. Alternatively
point to the Win9x folder on the Win Me CD. Specifically look for the
file BASE2.CAB and then point the wizard at the folder containing
base2.cab..

If you are unable to create a boot floppy you can download the image of a
Win Me OEM boot disk from www.bootdisk.com. Download to your desktop,
double click to run and follow the prompts to transfer the image to a
floppy.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

General Mailbox <nospam@home.net> wrote:

> Greetings.
> Working on my sister's machine Pavilion 7840 766Mhz 64MB RAM WinME, I
> have everything working, updated, and startup preferences set. I
> wish to make a full backup on CDR(W) for the 6GB of used space.
> Reading somewhere, I should have a floppy boot disk created to get
> the CD-ROM drives recognized to be used to reinstall the backup.
> Attempting such, I get a list of files not found with the extension
> of .ebd. Searching manually on the restoration disks and hard drive,
> I can only find a folder under Windows named EBD but the extensions
> are mostly .sys. Can anyone tell me where to find these files? If I
> could find a backup program that creates a bootable CD, that would
> eliminate the need of a floopy boot disk, right? But I wouldn't feel
> good about giving this machine back knowing it can't make a floppy
> boot disk. I'd appreciate some advise on this. Thank you!
> B.rgds,
> Kevin

Thanks Mike!
As usual, you've done it again. You're the man of the day!
I knew what needed to be done, but simply could not find any of those .ebd
extensions. I found it in the options/cabs folder within archive BASE2.cab.
So, am I right though in my thinking that if I could create a bootable CD,
that the emergency boot floppy disk isn't needed? If so, which backup
program would do this so a totally blank drive would be restored with just
the backup CDR's I provide her. I read on Nero about each sector is copied,
even the ones that are blank. That would be a waste of CDR's to record
blank sectors.
In the last 3 years I've been using a computer at home, I've always just
copied/pasted to another drive as my backup. But for my sister's tower
here, there's one HD drive (30GB) and CD-ROM & CD-RW drive. Your
recommendation will be well considered.
Thank you!
B.rgds,
Kevin

> Boot Disk:
> If you don't have a boot floppy you can create a boot floppy (EBD) or
> start up disk as follows:
> Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Startup Disk and follow the prompts.
>
> If you get asked for the location of a "missing" file point the wizard
> towards your Win Me cab files which should be in either the
> windows\options\cabs or windows\options\install folder. Alternatively
> point to the Win9x folder on the Win Me CD. Specifically look for the
> file BASE2.CAB and then point the wizard at the folder containing
> base2.cab..
>
> If you are unable to create a boot floppy you can download the image of a
> Win Me OEM boot disk from www.bootdisk.com. Download to your desktop,
> double click to run and follow the prompts to transfer the image to a
> floppy.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> General Mailbox <nospam@home.net> wrote:
>
> > Greetings.
> > Working on my sister's machine Pavilion 7840 766Mhz 64MB RAM WinME, I
> > have everything working, updated, and startup preferences set. I
> > wish to make a full backup on CDR(W) for the 6GB of used space.
> > Reading somewhere, I should have a floppy boot disk created to get
> > the CD-ROM drives recognized to be used to reinstall the backup.
> > Attempting such, I get a list of files not found with the extension
> > of .ebd. Searching manually on the restoration disks and hard drive,
> > I can only find a folder under Windows named EBD but the extensions
> > are mostly .sys. Can anyone tell me where to find these files? If I
> > could find a backup program that creates a bootable CD, that would
> > eliminate the need of a floopy boot disk, right? But I wouldn't feel
> > good about giving this machine back knowing it can't make a floppy
> > boot disk. I'd appreciate some advise on this. Thank you!
> > B.rgds,
> > Kevin

Kevin,

You shouldn't have needed to find any files in the cabs, just pointing the
applet towards the folder containing the Win Me cab files should be
sufficient when asked for a file. The problem seems to be due to some
PCs, for reasons unknown, not having the correct address for the location
of the cab files recorded in the registry. FYI the folder containing the
cab files should be the data for the string "SourcePath" located in the
key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

As to your question, if you are using a bootable CD then you won't need a
boot floppy although you will need one to make the bootable CD.

There are several applications that will do what you want. One being BING
from TerrabyteUnlimited (www.bing.com). In my case I use when needed a
bootable BING floppy (it could equally well be a CD) which boots into BING
and then restore my system partition form a backup DVD created using BING.
BING is all of a boot manager (if installed on your hard disk), partition
manager and drive imaging application. There are others that you can use,
I use BING because it is both cheap and versatile as well as being very
well supported.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com