Free Nero-alike software?

Hi,

Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?

Thanks,

Fred.
11 answers Last reply
More about free nero alike software

    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=16#16

    "Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred.

    How about Nero 6.3 OEM Suite, FREE? (small shipping charge)
    Go to www.isellsurplus.com and search for
    SOF-NERO6OEM

    Note that it says "today", so you might have to hurry. -Dave

    (I'm not affiliated with this vendor, BTW)

    In article <cmpaqh$q90$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, Fred Finisterre says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?

    Deepburner

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.

    Fred Finisterre:

    > Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?

    I tried CDBurnerXP Pro based on recommendations but it wouldn't actually
    burn the DVD. It went through the motions and gave a message that the burn
    was successful, but didn't actually put any information on the disk.

    I also tried IMGTools which contrary to the name does not burn images.

    I would like to find a lightweight CD/DVD burning software that would
    support a variety of popular image formats. Alcohol 120% is too expensive
    and Nero seems to be part of the problem of my system slowing to a crawl
    every time a burn a CD or DVD.
    --
    Mac Cool

    be careful with nero versions, make sure if your running nero6 that
    you have the latest version and that the DVD rom is on the compatible
    list. This is even worse now, than the original nero.

    Mac Cool wrote:
    > Fred Finisterre:
    >

    >>Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?
    >

    > I tried CDBurnerXP Pro based on recommendations but it wouldn't actually
    > burn the DVD. It went through the motions and gave a message that the burn
    > was successful, but didn't actually put any information on the disk.
    >
    > I also tried IMGTools which contrary to the name does not burn images.
    >
    > I would like to find a lightweight CD/DVD burning software that would
    > support a variety of popular image formats. Alcohol 120% is too expensive
    > and Nero seems to be part of the problem of my system slowing to a crawl
    > every time a burn a CD or DVD.

    I use GameJack to burn CDs and DVDs from iso images. It will copy and
    burn CDs of several formats but is limited on DVDs. There is another
    program from the same company named "MovieJack".

    jimbo

    Fred Finisterre wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Fred.

    An excellent choice is K3B found on many Linux distributions. If you
    have a dual optical setup you might consider downloading and creating a
    KNOPPIX Live CD. (http://www.knoppix.org/) It will be able to see the
    contents of your Windows drives and should meet all your wishes.

    jimbo:

    > I use GameJack to burn CDs and DVDs from iso images. It will copy and
    > burn CDs of several formats but is limited on DVDs. There is another
    > program from the same company named "MovieJack".

    I'm going to try the free version of Deepburner, if I'm not happy with it
    I'll give the Gamejack a try. thanks.
    --
    Mac Cool

    Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message news:<Xns959C64CF3F537MacCool@24.25.9.43>...
    > Fred Finisterre:
    >
    > > Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?
    >
    > I tried CDBurnerXP Pro based on recommendations but it wouldn't actually
    > burn the DVD. It went through the motions and gave a message that the burn
    > was successful, but didn't actually put any information on the disk.
    >
    > I also tried IMGTools which contrary to the name does not burn images.
    >
    > I would like to find a lightweight CD/DVD burning software that would
    > support a variety of popular image formats. Alcohol 120% is too expensive
    > and Nero seems to be part of the problem of my system slowing to a crawl
    > every time a burn a CD or DVD.

    I tried CDBurner XP Pro and had a similar experience with DVD burning.
    The DVDs did not seem to burn eventhough CDBurner XP gave no errors
    and the burn took several minutes. Windows Explorer did not recognize
    the burned DVDs at all. However, Nero was able to extract the image
    file from the supposedly mis-burned discs and extracting the track
    with Nero was successful at retrieving the data.

    I have since given up on CDBurner XP Pro in favor of DeepBurner,
    Burnatonce, and DVD Decrypter (works great for DVD ISO reading and
    writing).

    Ezra

    On 13 Nov 2004 13:47:47 -0800, esitea@yahoo.com (Ezra) wrote:

    >Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message news:<Xns959C64CF3F537MacCool@24.25.9.43>...
    >> Fred Finisterre:
    >>
    >> > Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?
    >>
    >> I tried CDBurnerXP Pro based on recommendations but it wouldn't actually
    >> burn the DVD. It went through the motions and gave a message that the burn
    >> was successful, but didn't actually put any information on the disk.
    >>
    >> I also tried IMGTools which contrary to the name does not burn images.
    It's used in conjunction with Nero burning rom to create a properly
    "imaged" dvd, mainly dvd video.(I use it with dvd shrink 3.1 and nero
    and get very good dupes of all my dvd movies.)

    Fred Finisterre wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?

    Yeah... It's called K3b and it's only availably in Linux. However, you can
    download a variety of LiveCD Linux solutions and run the OS directly from a
    CD, without installing anything other than a folder on your system to keep
    your preferences. However, you'd have to boot to the CD, so rebooting is
    required.

    Anyway, here are a few free LiveCD downloads, in case you're interested.
    Please remember that hardware support varies from distro to distro, so you
    may have to try a couple. And, oh yeah, you need to burn a CD to make a
    LiveCD, so I hope you have an older cd burning application to do it with,
    or a friends computer to use.

    SuSE Linux:

    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/live-cd-9.2

    Mandrake Linux (scroll down to MandrakeMove):

    http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3

    PCLinuxOS:

    http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/html/download.html

    Knoppix:

    http://www.knoppix.org/

Homebuilt CD-Rom Hardware Nero Freeware DVD Burning Software Systems