Free Nero-alike software?

Hi,

Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?

Thanks,

Fred.

"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred.

How about Nero 6.3 OEM Suite, FREE? (small shipping charge)
Go to www.isellsurplus.com and search for
SOF-NERO6OEM

Note that it says "today", so you might have to hurry. -Dave

(I'm not affiliated with this vendor, BTW)

In article <cmpaqh$q90$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, Fred Finisterre says...
> Hi,
>
> Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?

Deepburner

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Fred Finisterre:

> Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?

I tried CDBurnerXP Pro based on recommendations but it wouldn't actually
burn the DVD. It went through the motions and gave a message that the burn
was successful, but didn't actually put any information on the disk.

I also tried IMGTools which contrary to the name does not burn images.

I would like to find a lightweight CD/DVD burning software that would
support a variety of popular image formats. Alcohol 120% is too expensive
and Nero seems to be part of the problem of my system slowing to a crawl
every time a burn a CD or DVD.
--
Mac Cool

jad

be careful with nero versions, make sure if your running nero6 that
you have the latest version and that the DVD rom is on the compatible
list. This is even worse now, than the original nero.

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
> Fred Finisterre:
>
> > Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?
>
> I tried CDBurnerXP Pro based on recommendations but it wouldn't
actually
> burn the DVD. It went through the motions and gave a message that
the burn
> was successful, but didn't actually put any information on the disk.
>
> I also tried IMGTools which contrary to the name does not burn
images.

> I would like to find a lightweight CD/DVD burning software that
would
> support a variety of popular image formats. Alcohol 120% is too
expensive
> and Nero seems to be part of the problem of my system slowing to a
crawl
> every time a burn a CD or DVD.
> --
> Mac Cool

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Mac Cool wrote:
> Fred Finisterre:
>

>>Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?
>

> I tried CDBurnerXP Pro based on recommendations but it wouldn't actually
> burn the DVD. It went through the motions and gave a message that the burn
> was successful, but didn't actually put any information on the disk.
>
> I also tried IMGTools which contrary to the name does not burn images.
>
> I would like to find a lightweight CD/DVD burning software that would
> support a variety of popular image formats. Alcohol 120% is too expensive
> and Nero seems to be part of the problem of my system slowing to a crawl
> every time a burn a CD or DVD.

I use GameJack to burn CDs and DVDs from iso images. It will copy and
burn CDs of several formats but is limited on DVDs. There is another
program from the same company named "MovieJack".

jimbo

Jim

Fred Finisterre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred.

An excellent choice is K3B found on many Linux distributions. If you
have a dual optical setup you might consider downloading and creating a
KNOPPIX Live CD. (http://www.knoppix.org/) It will be able to see the
contents of your Windows drives and should meet all your wishes.

jimbo:

> I use GameJack to burn CDs and DVDs from iso images. It will copy and
> burn CDs of several formats but is limited on DVDs. There is another
> program from the same company named "MovieJack".

I'm going to try the free version of Deepburner, if I'm not happy with it
I'll give the Gamejack a try. thanks.
--
Mac Cool

Ezra

Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message news:<Xns959C64CF3F537MacCool@24.25.9.43>...
> Fred Finisterre:
>
> > Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?
>
> I tried CDBurnerXP Pro based on recommendations but it wouldn't actually
> burn the DVD. It went through the motions and gave a message that the burn
> was successful, but didn't actually put any information on the disk.
>
> I also tried IMGTools which contrary to the name does not burn images.
>
> I would like to find a lightweight CD/DVD burning software that would
> support a variety of popular image formats. Alcohol 120% is too expensive
> and Nero seems to be part of the problem of my system slowing to a crawl
> every time a burn a CD or DVD.

I tried CDBurner XP Pro and had a similar experience with DVD burning.
The DVDs did not seem to burn eventhough CDBurner XP gave no errors
and the burn took several minutes. Windows Explorer did not recognize
the burned DVDs at all. However, Nero was able to extract the image
file from the supposedly mis-burned discs and extracting the track
with Nero was successful at retrieving the data.

I have since given up on CDBurner XP Pro in favor of DeepBurner,
Burnatonce, and DVD Decrypter (works great for DVD ISO reading and
writing).

Ezra

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

On 13 Nov 2004 13:47:47 -0800, esitea@yahoo.com (Ezra) wrote:

>Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message news:<Xns959C64CF3F537MacCool@24.25.9.43>...
>> Fred Finisterre:
>>
>> > Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?
>>
>> I tried CDBurnerXP Pro based on recommendations but it wouldn't actually
>> burn the DVD. It went through the motions and gave a message that the burn
>> was successful, but didn't actually put any information on the disk.
>>
>> I also tried IMGTools which contrary to the name does not burn images.
It's used in conjunction with Nero burning rom to create a properly
"imaged" dvd, mainly dvd video.(I use it with dvd shrink 3.1 and nero
and get very good dupes of all my dvd movies.)

Fred Finisterre wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any decent freeware CD/DVD burning software around?

Yeah... It's called K3b and it's only availably in Linux. However, you can
download a variety of LiveCD Linux solutions and run the OS directly from a
CD, without installing anything other than a folder on your system to keep
your preferences. However, you'd have to boot to the CD, so rebooting is
required.

Anyway, here are a few free LiveCD downloads, in case you're interested.
Please remember that hardware support varies from distro to distro, so you
may have to try a couple. And, oh yeah, you need to burn a CD to make a
LiveCD, so I hope you have an older cd burning application to do it with,
or a friends computer to use.

SuSE Linux:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/live-cd-9.2

Mandrake Linux (scroll down to MandrakeMove):

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3

PCLinuxOS:

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/html/download.html

Knoppix: