  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
January 31, 2005 1:17:45 PM

Hello. I am running Windows ME. I did a reinstall to correct a midi problem.
This worked, but created a new problem. I no longer get a logon box at
startup. I have researched this extensively and taken all the steps I have
found suggested. I believe I have all the basic setups correct and assume it
is a registry issue. I have used the following in control panel: Passwords to
enable different user settings; Users to set up different user profiles and
Network to add the Microsoft Family Logon Client and select it as primary
logon. I have tried removing all this, deleting all .pwl files and selecting
Windows Logon to see if I could get a basic logon -- no go. I have also tried
setting all the above up again after deleting .pwl files. Again no logon. Any
help appreciated.

More about : windows logon missing

January 31, 2005 5:35:46 PM

In news:5D7CF4C8-7E26-4155-9115-854DAF89F8CE@microsoft.com,
KC <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hello. I am running Windows ME. I did a reinstall to correct a midi
> problem. This worked, but created a new problem. I no longer get a
> logon box at startup. I have researched this extensively and taken
> all the steps I have found suggested. I believe I have all the basic
> setups correct and assume it is a registry issue. I have used the
> following in control panel: Passwords to enable different user
> settings; Users to set up different user profiles and Network to add
> the Microsoft Family Logon Client and select it as primary logon. I
> have tried removing all this, deleting all .pwl files and selecting
> Windows Logon to see if I could get a basic logon -- no go. I have
> also tried setting all the above up again after deleting .pwl files.
> Again no logon. Any help appreciated.

It's been a long time since I've done anything like that but here's what I
think will work for you. Open up your registry editor.

(Start > Run > type "regedit" without the quotes > Enter)

Browse to this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

Under that key find AutoAdminLogon value and change the REG_SZ value to 0?
That's where I get a bit sketchy, I haven't done that in a while so I'm not
sure if it's a 1 or a 0. 0 is usually off so it's probably that. Basically,
if it's there and it's a 1 try changing it to 0.

Under that you should find a DefaultUserName and you could go so far as to
put the typical username that you'd be using in there. If there's something
in the password field below that you should delete it. Not the string, just
the text between the quotes.

Reboot.

Let me know if that worked. If not than we'll have to try a different route
or you'll have to wait until Noel has had the time to check in on the
newsgroup and he'll certainly know.

Cheers,

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
January 31, 2005 5:35:47 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I do not have a Key "AutoAdminLogon" in the
registry at the point you mentioned. All that is there is Default, which says
"vo value", LegalNoticeCaption and LegalNotice Text, all with no data. My
problem persists I am afraid.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:5D7CF4C8-7E26-4155-9115-854DAF89F8CE@microsoft.com,
> KC <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
>

> > Hello. I am running Windows ME. I did a reinstall to correct a midi
> > problem. This worked, but created a new problem. I no longer get a
> > logon box at startup. I have researched this extensively and taken
> > all the steps I have found suggested. I believe I have all the basic
> > setups correct and assume it is a registry issue. I have used the
> > following in control panel: Passwords to enable different user
> > settings; Users to set up different user profiles and Network to add
> > the Microsoft Family Logon Client and select it as primary logon. I
> > have tried removing all this, deleting all .pwl files and selecting
> > Windows Logon to see if I could get a basic logon -- no go. I have
> > also tried setting all the above up again after deleting .pwl files.
> > Again no logon. Any help appreciated.
>
> It's been a long time since I've done anything like that but here's what I
> think will work for you. Open up your registry editor.
>
> (Start > Run > type "regedit" without the quotes > Enter)
>
> Browse to this key:
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
>
> Under that key find AutoAdminLogon value and change the REG_SZ value to 0?
> That's where I get a bit sketchy, I haven't done that in a while so I'm not
> sure if it's a 1 or a 0. 0 is usually off so it's probably that. Basically,
> if it's there and it's a 1 try changing it to 0.
>
> Under that you should find a DefaultUserName and you could go so far as to
> put the typical username that you'd be using in there. If there's something
> in the password field below that you should delete it. Not the string, just
> the text between the quotes.
>
> Reboot.
>
> Let me know if that worked. If not than we'll have to try a different route
> or you'll have to wait until Noel has had the time to check in on the
> newsgroup and he'll certainly know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Galen
>
> --
>
> "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
> the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
> in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
> stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
> mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 8:00:03 AM

Repost in our sister ng, ...windowsme.networking, where you will be quickly
helped.

Review this first, so you will be on the same page with them:

Stop LogOn Prompt at Boot

Using the Client for Microsoft Network Logon is only necessary if
you're logging on to a Windows NT/2000 domain or server. All
peer-to-peer networking functions are available using Windows Logon as
the primary network logon.

To eliminate the logon prompt, set the primary network logon to
Windows Logon and use an empty password, as described in this
Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

How to Prevent a Windows Me/98/95 Logon Prompt at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q152/1...
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Desktop Systems)

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"KC" <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello. I am running Windows ME. I did a reinstall to correct a midi
problem.
> This worked, but created a new problem. I no longer get a logon box at
> startup. I have researched this extensively and taken all the steps I have
> found suggested. I believe I have all the basic setups correct and assume
it
> is a registry issue. I have used the following in control panel: Passwords
> enable different user settings; Users to set up different user profiles
and
> Network to add the Microsoft Family Logon Client and select it as primary
> logon. I have tried removing all this, deleting all .pwl files and
selecting
> Windows Logon to see if I could get a basic logon -- no go. I have also
tried
> setting all the above up again after deleting .pwl files. Again no logon.
Any
> help appreciated.
February 1, 2005 4:47:06 PM

Thanks for responding. I will try a repost in the networking group.

My problem actually is the opposite of what I think you believe. I want a
logon box -- unlike many people who post asking how to get rid of theirs --
in order that I can have different profiles for family members, especially
for Microsoft Outlook calendars and e-mail inboxes.

My computer had the logon set up working fine until I found it necessary to
re-install Windows ME to correct a midi problem. The midi problem was fixed
by the re-install, but the logon problem (i.e. no logon box) arose upon the
re-install and presumably was caused by it. I have all network, password and
user settings as before, which should enable logon using Microsoft Family
Logon. But the logon box refuses to appear. I assume the problem is with the
registry or system files, about which I know little.

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> Repost in our sister ng, ...windowsme.networking, where you will be quickly
> helped.
>

> Review this first, so you will be on the same page with them:
>
> Stop LogOn Prompt at Boot
>
> Using the Client for Microsoft Network Logon is only necessary if
> you're logging on to a Windows NT/2000 domain or server. All
> peer-to-peer networking functions are available using Windows Logon as
> the primary network logon.
>
> To eliminate the logon prompt, set the primary network logon to
> Windows Logon and use an empty password, as described in this
> Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
>
> How to Prevent a Windows Me/98/95 Logon Prompt at Startup
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q152/1...
> --
> Best Wishes,
> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Desktop Systems)
> -----

> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "KC" <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello. I am running Windows ME. I did a reinstall to correct a midi
> problem.
> > This worked, but created a new problem. I no longer get a logon box at
> > startup. I have researched this extensively and taken all the steps I have
> > found suggested. I believe I have all the basic setups correct and assume
> it
> > is a registry issue. I have used the following in control panel: Passwords
> > enable different user settings; Users to set up different user profiles
> and
> > Network to add the Microsoft Family Logon Client and select it as primary
> > logon. I have tried removing all this, deleting all .pwl files and
> selecting
> > Windows Logon to see if I could get a basic logon -- no go. I have also
> tried
> > setting all the above up again after deleting .pwl files. Again no logon.
> Any
> > help appreciated.

February 1, 2005 9:09:16 PM

In news:6ABC8152-F103-464C-8667-5C5481C6C812@microsoft.com,
KC <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Thanks for the quick response. I do not have a Key "AutoAdminLogon"
> in the registry at the point you mentioned. All that is there is
> Default, which says "vo value", LegalNoticeCaption and LegalNotice
> Text, all with no data. My problem persists I am afraid.

It's amazing how blind we can be when faced with a problem this easy. I know
this works on my system because I had disabled passwords and the login
screen and just re-enabled it on the box next to me. Open the control panel
(from the start > settings buttons) and click on the Users icon. Click new
user, add a user, add a password if you want, and add as many as you like.
On the next boot you'll get the login screen where you can enter in a user
name and password. I'm not sure but I think that the next user will be able
to enter any user in that they want. If they do they'll get a message that
asks them if they would like the computer to retain a copy of their
individual settings for use when they log in there in the future.

If you do it the 'right way' (which is the first way where you make the
accounts through the control panel on the original account that you're using
right now) it's pretty straight forward. There's a handy wizard that will
guide you through the entire process and having tested this I can tell you
that it should work without any troubles as it worked fine here under what
I'm thinking is identical circumstances.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:59:00 AM

Sorry for apparently confusing you. i understand what you desire to do.
I simply gave you a link to begin to educate you about the various
components of the Logon process for your later post to the networking group.
I'm sure they will help you.

> [...]
have
> > > found suggested. I believe I have all the basic setups correct and
assume
> > it
> > > is a registry issue. I have used the following in control panel:
Passwords
> > > enable different user settings; Users to set up different user
profiles
> > and
> > > Network to add the Microsoft Family Logon Client and select it as
primary
> > > logon. I have tried removing all this, deleting all .pwl files and
> > selecting
> > > Windows Logon to see if I could get a basic logon -- no go. I have
also
> > tried
> > > setting all the above up again after deleting .pwl files. Again no

February 2, 2005 6:25:02 PM

My problem has been solved from a suggestion on the Windows ME Networking
Group (thanks for the suggestion from Jack here to post there), as well as
from additional research and leg work on my part.

I have posted a brief explanation of the fix on that other site under my
related post there: "Subject: Missing Microsoft Family Logon Box at Startup".

Thank you,

Kevin

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> [...]
> > >

> > > Review this first, so you will be on the same page with them:
> > >
> > > Stop LogOn Prompt at Boot
> > >
> > > Using the Client for Microsoft Network Logon is only necessary if
> > > you're logging on to a Windows NT/2000 domain or server. All
> > > peer-to-peer networking functions are available using Windows Logon as
> > > the primary network logon.
> > >
> > > To eliminate the logon prompt, set the primary network logon to
> > > Windows Logon and use an empty password, as described in this
> > > Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
> > >
> > > How to Prevent a Windows Me/98/95 Logon Prompt at Startup
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q152/1...
> > > --
> > > Best Wishes,
> > > Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Desktop Systems)
> > > -----
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:13:04 PM

Your 2/01/2005 post in ...windowsme.networking is certainly interesting, ...
and you were lucky enough to be helped by one of our very finest MVP's, Mr.
Steve Winograd. You are unlikely to find a kinder or more helpful,
knowledgeable user.

I congratulate you on your patience and persistence, both of which were
needed in your "Family Logon" networking case.

!