system recovery with usb

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

hi
I want to use the recovery cd in my laptop, but it is not reading any cds (i
think it's broken). I can read cds using an external usb drive. But i don't
know how to use the recovery cd with it.
Thanks
Adrian

It's unlikely that a System Recovery disk will work from an external drive
that wasn't in the initial configuration.

Why not try curing your problems?
What problems are you seeing that make you want to reset the system?
EXACT error messages are you seeing?

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi
> I want to use the recovery cd in my laptop, but it is not reading any cds
> (i
> think it's broken). I can read cds using an external usb drive. But i
> don't
> know how to use the recovery cd with it.
> Thanks
> Adrian

adrian

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2001

I got several viruses, and downloaded several "cures" that made everything
worse. I think that I even modified the registry keys, following advice from
another website. Probably I did it wrong.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> It's unlikely that a System Recovery disk will work from an external drive
> that wasn't in the initial configuration.
>
> Why not try curing your problems?
> What problems are you seeing that make you want to reset the system?
> EXACT error messages are you seeing?
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi
> > I want to use the recovery cd in my laptop, but it is not reading any cds
> > (i
> > think it's broken). I can read cds using an external usb drive. But i
> > don't
> > know how to use the recovery cd with it.
> > Thanks
> > Adrian

Now with details......

What made what worse???

removing viruses may have made your system more likely to either

1) not boot
2) not connect to the internet when it does boot
3) take a long time to do anything
4) behave unpredictably
5) any combination of the above

In most cases the cure is fairly simple - at least to get the system to a
state where you can save your data, and then do what's necessary to make it
secure.

The more detail you can give as to your problems (and the viruses you found)
the better - we have all the time available you're prepared to spend!

--

>I got several viruses, and downloaded several "cures" that made everything
> worse. I think that I even modified the registry keys, following advice
> from
> another website. Probably I did it wrong.
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
>> It's unlikely that a System Recovery disk will work from an external
>> drive
>> that wasn't in the initial configuration.
>>
>> Why not try curing your problems?
>> What problems are you seeing that make you want to reset the system?
>> EXACT error messages are you seeing?
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "adrian" <adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hi
>> > I want to use the recovery cd in my laptop, but it is not reading any
>> > cds
>> > (i
>> > think it's broken). I can read cds using an external usb drive. But i
>> > don't
>> > know how to use the recovery cd with it.
>> > Thanks
>> > Adrian

Adrian, I urge you to follow Noel's good advice. We are ready to help you
once you describe your problem in enough detail to aid us.

Perhaps this will help:
How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938

and this: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------