cant install service packs

when i open the executable file for the service pack 4 it says, cant run
program, file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:strstr and another box
explains that the device attatched to the system is not functioning...
however the file NTDLL.DLL still exists in windows system folder...

Either you are running Windows 2000 and posting to the wrong newsgroup or
you are trying to install Win 2K's SP4 on to a system running Win Me which
naturally will fail with messages similar to those you are seeing. This
newsgroup supports those running the Windows Millennium operating system
for which no service packs have been released.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

"Mike M" wrote:

> Either you are running Windows 2000 and posting to the wrong newsgroup or
> you are trying to install Win 2K's SP4 on to a system running Win Me which
> naturally will fail with messages similar to those you are seeing. This
> newsgroup supports those running the Windows Millennium operating system
> for which no service packs have been released.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Mark D <Mark D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > when i open the executable file for the service pack 4 it says, cant
> > run program, file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:strstr and
> > another box explains that the device attatched to the system is not
> > functioning... however the file NTDLL.DLL still exists in windows
> > system folder...

"Mike M", If this is the case then why does Windows Update show that I need
the Critical Updates that are showing the missing export NTDLL.DLL when I
attempt to install them? I have Windows 98Se OS.

"Mike M" wrote:

> Either you are running Windows 2000 and posting to the wrong newsgroup or
> you are trying to install Win 2K's SP4 on to a system running Win Me which
> naturally will fail with messages similar to those you are seeing. This
> newsgroup supports those running the Windows Millennium operating system
> for which no service packs have been released.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Mark D <Mark D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > when i open the executable file for the service pack 4 it says, cant
> > run program, file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:strstr and
> > another box explains that the device attatched to the system is not
> > functioning... however the file NTDLL.DLL still exists in windows
> > system folder...

ET

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Hi. Mike solved this same problem for me 3 days ago. I got the same
error message as you. Turned out I was trying to install
"Q329115i.exe" - note the "i". Must have been for another OS. When I
got the proper download without the "i", it installed without a hitch.
Also I have no idea why MS download site said I needed that wrong
file.
------

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:53:03 -0800, "mommu"
<patbr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Mike M", If this is the case then why does Windows Update show that I need
>the Critical Updates that are showing the missing export NTDLL.DLL when I
>attempt to install them? I have Windows 98Se OS.
>
>"Mike M" wrote:
>
>> Either you are running Windows 2000 and posting to the wrong newsgroup or
>> you are trying to install Win 2K's SP4 on to a system running Win Me which
>> naturally will fail with messages similar to those you are seeing. This
>> newsgroup supports those running the Windows Millennium operating system
>> for which no service packs have been released.
>> --
>> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>>

>> Mark D <Mark D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > when i open the executable file for the service pack 4 it says, cant
>> > run program, file is linked to missing export NTDLL.DLL:strstr and
>> > another box explains that the device attatched to the system is not
>> > functioning... however the file NTDLL.DLL still exists in windows
>> > system folder...

ET

What patch and how are you obtaining it? If you get a message about
missing export and NTDLL.DLL when installing a patch then you are
downloading a version intended for use on an XP or W2K system - it's as
simple as that.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com