ODBC

I have an entry in my control panel called "ODBC data sources". It points to
a file called odbcad32.exe in the system directory along with about twenty
odbc*.dll files. Is it safe to uninstall or to remove the odbcad32.exe and
all it's components, and if so how do I remove it from my computer? I've been
looking for an uninstall for it but there is none.

There is no uninstall, and even if there was you don't want to uninstall it
anyway since the ODBC components provide database and file connectivity.

"Faldo" <Faldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an entry in my control panel called "ODBC data sources". It points
> a file called odbcad32.exe in the system directory along with about twenty
> odbc*.dll files. Is it safe to uninstall or to remove the odbcad32.exe and
> all it's components, and if so how do I remove it from my computer? I've
> been
> looking for an uninstall for it but there is none.

Thanks Richard,
I was just curious on the removal because it has drivers associated to
FoxPro, Excel, Access, Paradox, etc.... I don't have Office installed anymore
on my computer and was wondering if these particular drivers are necessary?

ODBC Last modified: Monday, August 16, 2004
(pronounced as separate letters) Short for Open DataBase Connectivity, a
standard database access method developed by the SQL Access group in 1992.
The goal of ODBC is to make it possible to access any data from any
application, regardless of which database management system (DBMS) is
handling the data. ODBC manages this by inserting a middle layer, called a
database driver , between an application and the DBMS. The purpose of this
layer is to translate the application's data queries into commands that the
DBMS understands. For this to work, both the application and the DBMS must
be ODBC-compliant -- that is, the application must be capable of issuing
ODBC commands and the DBMS must be capable of responding to them. Since
version 2.0, the standard supports SAG SQL.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/ODBC.html

The Official Win32::ODBC Home Page
http://www.roth.net/perl/odbc/

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> Thanks Richard,
> I was just curious on the removal because it has drivers associated to
> FoxPro, Excel, Access, Paradox, etc.... I don't have Office installed
anymore
> on my computer and was wondering if these particular drivers are
necessary?

> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
> > There is no uninstall, and even if there was you don't want to uninstall
it
> > anyway since the ODBC components provide database and file connectivity.
> >
> > --
> > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Faldo" <Faldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have an entry in my control panel called "ODBC data sources". It
points
> > > a file called odbcad32.exe in the system directory along with about
twenty
> > > odbc*.dll files. Is it safe to uninstall or to remove the odbcad32.exe
and
> > > all it's components, and if so how do I remove it from my computer?
I've
> > > been
> > > looking for an uninstall for it but there is none.

Sorry Jack, but this is flying right over my head. As far as I know this ODBC
was on my computer when I bought it, and a list of drivers is listed under
the "driver tab" in odbc. FoxPro, Paradox,Oracle,Excel, etc. Still don't know
what they are for and how to access them?

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> ODBC Last modified: Monday, August 16, 2004
> (pronounced as separate letters) Short for Open DataBase Connectivity, a
> standard database access method developed by the SQL Access group in 1992.
> The goal of ODBC is to make it possible to access any data from any
> application, regardless of which database management system (DBMS) is
> handling the data. ODBC manages this by inserting a middle layer, called a
> database driver , between an application and the DBMS. The purpose of this
> layer is to translate the application's data queries into commands that the
> DBMS understands. For this to work, both the application and the DBMS must
> be ODBC-compliant -- that is, the application must be capable of issuing
> ODBC commands and the DBMS must be capable of responding to them. Since
> version 2.0, the standard supports SAG SQL.
> http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/ODBC.html
>
> The Official Win32::ODBC Home Page
> http://www.roth.net/perl/odbc/

> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Faldo" <Faldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Richard,
> > I was just curious on the removal because it has drivers associated to
> > FoxPro, Excel, Access, Paradox, etc.... I don't have Office installed
> anymore
> > on my computer and was wondering if these particular drivers are
> necessary?
> >
> > "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> >
> > > There is no uninstall, and even if there was you don't want to uninstall
> it
> > > anyway since the ODBC components provide database and file connectivity.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> > > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> > > * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> > > * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> > > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "Faldo" <Faldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> points
> twenty
> and
> I've

Of course it was on your computer when you bought it, ODBC is part of
MDAC and MDAC is a core component. You cannot remove these components
unless you want to completely strip Windows. Products like pclite might
be able to remove these but then you may have all kinds of problems
with various software on the pc. Are you receiving error messages
concerning ODBC? No? Well then leave well enough alone or you may get
all kinds of them after you "fix" or "remove" them. The file
odbcad32.exe that you mentioned in your original post is the
Administrator program for ODBC, you don't want to remove that. The
drivers that you see may be used by other non Microsoft programs so just
leave them alone!

John

Faldo wrote:

> Sorry Jack, but this is flying right over my head. As far as I know this ODBC
> was on my computer when I bought it, and a list of drivers is listed under
> the "driver tab" in odbc. FoxPro, Paradox,Oracle,Excel, etc. Still don't know
> what they are for and how to access them?
>
> "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
>

>>ODBC Last modified: Monday, August 16, 2004
>>(pronounced as separate letters) Short for Open DataBase Connectivity, a
>>standard database access method developed by the SQL Access group in 1992.
>>The goal of ODBC is to make it possible to access any data from any
>>application, regardless of which database management system (DBMS) is
>>handling the data. ODBC manages this by inserting a middle layer, called a
>>database driver , between an application and the DBMS. The purpose of this
>>layer is to translate the application's data queries into commands that the
>>DBMS understands. For this to work, both the application and the DBMS must
>>be ODBC-compliant -- that is, the application must be capable of issuing
>>ODBC commands and the DBMS must be capable of responding to them. Since
>>version 2.0, the standard supports SAG SQL.
>>http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/ODBC.html
>>
>>The Official Win32::ODBC Home Page
>>http://www.roth.net/perl/odbc/
>>
>>--
>>Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
>>Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
>>Your cooperation is very appreciated.
>>------
>>"Faldo" <Faldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Thanks Richard,
>>> I was just curious on the removal because it has drivers associated to
>>>FoxPro, Excel, Access, Paradox, etc.... I don't have Office installed
>>
>>anymore
>>
>>>on my computer and was wondering if these particular drivers are
>>
>>necessary?

>>it

>>points

>>twenty

>>and

>>I've

I will definitely leave well enough alone. As long as odbc and mdac and all
involved are happy on my computer and doing what they're supposed to do,
whatever that is? Thanks John John..

"John John" wrote:

> Of course it was on your computer when you bought it, ODBC is part of
> MDAC and MDAC is a core component. You cannot remove these components
> unless you want to completely strip Windows. Products like pclite might
> be able to remove these but then you may have all kinds of problems
> with various software on the pc. Are you receiving error messages
> concerning ODBC? No? Well then leave well enough alone or you may get
> all kinds of them after you "fix" or "remove" them. The file
> odbcad32.exe that you mentioned in your original post is the
> Administrator program for ODBC, you don't want to remove that. The
> drivers that you see may be used by other non Microsoft programs so just
> leave them alone!
>
> John
>
> Faldo wrote:
>
> > Sorry Jack, but this is flying right over my head. As far as I know this ODBC
> > was on my computer when I bought it, and a list of drivers is listed under
> > the "driver tab" in odbc. FoxPro, Paradox,Oracle,Excel, etc. Still don't know
> > what they are for and how to access them?
> >
> > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
> >

> >>ODBC Last modified: Monday, August 16, 2004
> >>(pronounced as separate letters) Short for Open DataBase Connectivity, a
> >>standard database access method developed by the SQL Access group in 1992.
> >>The goal of ODBC is to make it possible to access any data from any
> >>application, regardless of which database management system (DBMS) is
> >>handling the data. ODBC manages this by inserting a middle layer, called a
> >>database driver , between an application and the DBMS. The purpose of this
> >>layer is to translate the application's data queries into commands that the
> >>DBMS understands. For this to work, both the application and the DBMS must
> >>be ODBC-compliant -- that is, the application must be capable of issuing
> >>ODBC commands and the DBMS must be capable of responding to them. Since
> >>version 2.0, the standard supports SAG SQL.
> >>http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/ODBC.html
> >>
> >>The Official Win32::ODBC Home Page
> >>http://www.roth.net/perl/odbc/
> >>
> >>--
> >>Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> >>Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >>
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> >>Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> >>------
> >>"Faldo" <Faldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >>anymore

> >>necessary?

> >>it

> >>points

> >>twenty

> >>and

> >>I've

Yes. A number of software programs, not just Microsoft Office, rely on
having it present. If a program can use an existing ODBC connector it does,
otherwise it installs its own ODBC connector.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

"Faldo" <Faldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Richard,
> I was just curious on the removal because it has drivers associated to
> FoxPro, Excel, Access, Paradox, etc.... I don't have Office installed
> anymore
> on my computer and was wondering if these particular drivers are
> necessary?
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> There is no uninstall, and even if there was you don't want to uninstall
>> it
>> anyway since the ODBC components provide database and file connectivity.
>>
>> --
>> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
>> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>>

>> "Faldo" <Faldo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have an entry in my control panel called "ODBC data sources". It
>> >points
>> > a file called odbcad32.exe in the system directory along with about
>> > twenty
>> > odbc*.dll files. Is it safe to uninstall or to remove the odbcad32.exe
>> > and
>> > all it's components, and if so how do I remove it from my computer?
>> > I've
>> > been
>> > looking for an uninstall for it but there is none.

Your decision is extremely good, and you will avoid numerous exotic error
messages in the future for doing do.

You don't need to know how your brain actually works to use it!

Faldo wrote:

> As long as odbc and mdac and all
> involved are happy on my computer and doing what they're supposed to do,
> whatever that is?

Open DataBase Connectivity.

"Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) is an open standard application
programming interface (API) for accessing a database. By using ODBC
statements in a program or Web site, you can access information in a
number of different databases, including Access, dBase, DB2, Excel, and
Text. The main proponent and supplier of ODBC programming support is
Microsoft."

"The aim of ODBC is to make it possible to access any data from any
application, regardless of which database management system (DBMS) is
handling the data. ODBC manages this by inserting a middle layer, called
a database driver, between an application and the DBMS."

Now, granted not that many applications use ODBC and as a matter of fact
you may have no applications that use it at all on your pc. But remove
or screw it up and install a piece of software that uses it and the
software will run like molasses (or treacle as Noel calls it) on the
coldest day in January... if it runs at all. When and if you install
software that uses it there will be or should be information and
instructions in the software package on how to configure and connect to
ODBC. And yes it is a bit of a confusing and difficult thing to figure
out and configure properly. Adequate information on it is scant to say
the least, even from software companies who make use of it with their
programs.

John

Thanks to all who responded. I've learned a little about odbc and will
research some more to fill my appetite. Thanks again,