Can't Install Internet Explorer Service Pack 1

kc

I am running Windows ME and Internet Explorer Version 5.50.4134.0100. Windows
Update is telling me that there is a service pack to be installed on my
system -- but it relates to Internet Explorer and is called "Microsoft
Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (Windows 98, Windows ME)". Perhaps this is
the Service Pack that Mark D. in the "can't install service packs" post below
is having trouble with. I am certainly having trouble with it, although I
don't get an error code like the one Mark gets.

The update seems to download on my computer, but fails every time on
install. And every time that I end back in Windows Update, the system review
suggests that I install this SP1 as a "critical update". I have no idea what
to do.

Mark D's problem relates to the installation of Win2K's SP4 (he does
mention service pack 4), hence his seeing the ntdll.dll error he
mentioned.

If you are still running I.E. version 5.50.4134.0100 then installing IE6
SP1 is very much a critical update as the version of IE you are running
has not been supported for at least the last three years, there having
since been IE5.5 SP1, and then SP2 (which is still supported) and IE6 and
then in Feb 2003 IE6 SP1 (v6.0.2800.1106).

What error are you seeing when you attempt the install. Note that what
you are downloading from the Windows Update site is just a stub installer.
When this is run it then pulls down the required components which can
amount to as much as 25MB.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

KC <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am running Windows ME and Internet Explorer Version 5.50.4134.0100.
> Windows Update is telling me that there is a service pack to be
> installed on my system -- but it relates to Internet Explorer and is
> called "Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (Windows 98,
> Windows ME)". Perhaps this is the Service Pack that Mark D. in the
> "can't install service packs" post below is having trouble with. I am
> certainly having trouble with it, although I don't get an error code
> like the one Mark gets.
>
> The update seems to download on my computer, but fails every time on
> install. And every time that I end back in Windows Update, the system
> review suggests that I install this SP1 as a "critical update". I
> have no idea what to do.

kc

Thanks for the response.

I expect the problem has arisen because I had to do a complete Windows ME
re-install from a boot disk in order to fix a midi problem.

The reinstall gave rise to some other problems. One I have fixed - relating
to my inability to get a logon box after the reinstall.

The other seems to be with windows updating or at least with me Internet
Explorer. I have always had Windows Update working in the past and presume
that my IE was up to date. Perhaps that contributes to the problem now. I see
no way to completely uninstall and reinstall IE -- e.g. it is not listed in
the Add/Remove Programs box in Control Panel.

The problem occurs as follows:

I run Windows Update. The only suggested update of consequence is the
critical update of Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (Windows '98,
Windows ME).

I close all running applications using Control Alt Delete repeatedly, except
for Systray, IE and the update app.

I select it. The original 458K stub downloads. I accept the agreement and
choose Typical Install. A 10,729KB file downloads, seemingly completely.
Installation begins. Installation jumps extremely quickly from 1% to 70%. The
error occurs at this point. The box doesn't say error as such, but says
"Setup was unable to install all the components. Please close all
applications and try running Setup again."

(But, as mentioned, I have already closed all applications I know of --
having originally received this error when I had apps such as my firewall and
anti-virus programs running.) Anyway, I reboot, close all apps again and try
running set-up again. The same failure occurs in the exact same way. I then
cancel setup.

No idea how to fix this.

My IE remains at version 5.50.4134.0100.

Thanks to you or anyone else, in advance, if you have suggestions for how to
correct this.

"Mike M" wrote:

> Mark D's problem relates to the installation of Win2K's SP4 (he does
> mention service pack 4), hence his seeing the ntdll.dll error he
> mentioned.
>
> If you are still running I.E. version 5.50.4134.0100 then installing IE6
> SP1 is very much a critical update as the version of IE you are running
> has not been supported for at least the last three years, there having
> since been IE5.5 SP1, and then SP2 (which is still supported) and IE6 and
> then in Feb 2003 IE6 SP1 (v6.0.2800.1106).
>
> What error are you seeing when you attempt the install. Note that what
> you are downloading from the Windows Update site is just a stub installer.
> When this is run it then pulls down the required components which can
> amount to as much as 25MB.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> KC <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I am running Windows ME and Internet Explorer Version 5.50.4134.0100.
> > Windows Update is telling me that there is a service pack to be
> > installed on my system -- but it relates to Internet Explorer and is
> > called "Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (Windows 98,
> > Windows ME)". Perhaps this is the Service Pack that Mark D. in the
> > "can't install service packs" post below is having trouble with. I am
> > certainly having trouble with it, although I don't get an error code
> > like the one Mark gets.
> >
> > The update seems to download on my computer, but fails every time on
> > install. And every time that I end back in Windows Update, the system
> > review suggests that I install this SP1 as a "critical update". I
> > have no idea what to do.

For the "unable to install all components" issue with IE6SP1 in WinME, try
this:

Go to My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View:
- Select "Show hidden files and folders", click Apply - OK

Create a folder named "Old uninstall".

Go to folder C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Uninstall Information.

Now Edit - Select All - Cut all files.

Open "Old uninstall" folder and paste the files.

You will now be able to install all the troublesome components.

If everything works as expected, you can delete the "Old Uninstall" folder
and the files you moved.

Good luck,

Zee

"KC" <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > --
> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >

> > KC <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I am running Windows ME and Internet Explorer Version 5.50.4134.0100.
> > > Windows Update is telling me that there is a service pack to be
> > > installed on my system -- but it relates to Internet Explorer and is
> > > called "Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (Windows 98,
> > > Windows ME)". Perhaps this is the Service Pack that Mark D. in the
> > > "can't install service packs" post below is having trouble with. I am
> > > certainly having trouble with it, although I don't get an error code
> > > like the one Mark gets.
> > >
> > > The update seems to download on my computer, but fails every time on
> > > install. And every time that I end back in Windows Update, the system
> > > review suggests that I install this SP1 as a "critical update". I

kc

Thanks Zee,

Your suggestion solved 95% of my problem.

I did what you said and then ran Windows Update. The download added some
components. The install started again. It got by the 1% point and kept going.
That relieved me. Once it got to 5% it jumped to 70% very quickly, which
worried me. But it seemed to keep going and got to 100%. The install seemed
to continue from there, but eventually did freeze without ever telling me
that it was successful, unlike what Windows Update usually seems to do. I
closed IE and rebooted anyway. The configuration seemed to change and the IE
version was updated.

I found it necessary to keep going back to Windows Update and keep rebooting
in order to get a bunch of additional consequent critical updates serially.
These all worked fine until the last one.

Unfortunately, at the very end of this process a critical cumulative SP1
update for Outlook Express 6 being KB837009 would say install was successful
but everytime I go back to Windows Update it says I need to install that one
(again?). I use Outlook instead of Outlook Express anyway, but will note for
the record that my Outlook Express 6 version is 6.0.2800.1106 (I don't know
if that is the latest or not).

I am also not sure whether it matters that I can't get this critical update
confirmed as being installed since I use Outlook anyway. The Windows Update
install history says "successful install" but every time I start Windows
Update it tells me that I need this update (again?).

Like I said, I seem to be 95% there. Don't know if you or others have any
ideas for this last problem. I couldn't figure out which file to attempt a
fix analgous to the one you gave me concerning the original situation.

Thanks again for your help Zee.

Kevin

"oops!!" wrote:

> [...]
> > correct this.
> >
> > "Mike M" wrote:
> >
> > > Mark D's problem relates to the installation of Win2K's SP4 (he does
> > > mention service pack 4), hence his seeing the ntdll.dll error he
> > > mentioned.
> > >
> > > If you are still running I.E. version 5.50.4134.0100 then installing IE6
> > > SP1 is very much a critical update as the version of IE you are running
> > > has not been supported for at least the last three years, there having
> > > since been IE5.5 SP1, and then SP2 (which is still supported) and IE6
> and
> > > then in Feb 2003 IE6 SP1 (v6.0.2800.1106).
> > >
> > > What error are you seeing when you attempt the install. Note that what
> > > you are downloading from the Windows Update site is just a stub
> installer.
> > > When this is run it then pulls down the required components which can

You're welcome.

Glad it worked to some extent, or most of it.

If you're using Outlook, not much to worry, but maybe someone else knows how
to help you there.

FYI, my OE shows version 6.00.2800.1123 also on WinME.

Cheers,

> [...]
says
> > > "Setup was unable to install all the components. Please close all
> > > applications and try running Setup again."
> > >
> > > (But, as mentioned, I have already closed all applications I know
of --
> > > having originally received this error when I had apps such as my
firewall
> > and
> > > anti-virus programs running.) Anyway, I reboot, close all apps again
and
> > try
> > > running set-up again. The same failure occurs in the exact same way. I
> > then
> > > cancel setup.
> > >
> > > No idea how to fix this.
> > >
> > > My IE remains at version 5.50.4134.0100.
> > >
> > > Thanks to you or anyone else, in advance, if you have suggestions for

fred

Hello Zee..
I have seen your post answer (resolution) to several, and although I did
'exactly' as you suggested and disabled ALL background running programs, This
Does Not Work For Me. I have tried it 4 times. Seems like my registry has a
block preventing the install. I keep receiving the error message: "Setup ws
unable to download ... components, etc. Do you know of a site I can go to and
download and burn a CD for the Total IE Software ?
Regards,
Sparky

"oops!!" wrote:

> [...]
> > correct this.
> >
> > "Mike M" wrote:
> >
> > > Mark D's problem relates to the installation of Win2K's SP4 (he does
> > > mention service pack 4), hence his seeing the ntdll.dll error he
> > > mentioned.
> > >
> > > If you are still running I.E. version 5.50.4134.0100 then installing IE6
> > > SP1 is very much a critical update as the version of IE you are running
> > > has not been supported for at least the last three years, there having
> > > since been IE5.5 SP1, and then SP2 (which is still supported) and IE6
> and
> > > then in Feb 2003 IE6 SP1 (v6.0.2800.1106).
> > >
> > > What error are you seeing when you attempt the install. Note that what
> > > you are downloading from the Windows Update site is just a stub
> installer.
> > > When this is run it then pulls down the required components which can

Fred,

See this:

How to download Internet Explorer 6 SP1
http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html

And if you want the full IE6SP1 package:

http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/microsoft/ie/6.0sp1/

But it's 77.6MB.

Hope these may help you.

Good luck,

Zee

"Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC88A4CA-8D54-4385-B6C5-6D8B88587C1F@microsoft.com...
> [...]
> > The
> > > error occurs at this point. The box doesn't say error as such, but says
> > > "Setup was unable to install all the components. Please close all
> > > applications and try running Setup again."
> > >
> > > (But, as mentioned, I have already closed all applications I know of --
> > > having originally received this error when I had apps such as my firewall
> > and
> > > anti-virus programs running.) Anyway, I reboot, close all apps again and
> > try
> > > running set-up again. The same failure occurs in the exact same way. I
> > then
> > > cancel setup.
> > >
> > > No idea how to fix this.
> > >
> > > My IE remains at version 5.50.4134.0100.
> > >
> > > Thanks to you or anyone else, in advance, if you have suggestions for how

fred

Zee..
Thank you for your time and trouble answering my post and for the links. I
seriously doubt if my Dial-Up connection would tolerate a download of >77 MB.
I did find where I can order the CD from Microsoft and pay $5.00 for shipping
and handling. I do not know why your method does not work for me as it has
for others but again, I think my registry is blocking the Setup. I am
thinking about just backing up my docs, formating and reloading my ME System
Files. That should fix the problem, but don't really want to that. Again,
Thanks..Will let you know how I solved the problem.

"oops!!" wrote:

> Fred,
>
> See this:
>
> How to download Internet Explorer 6 SP1
> http://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html
>
> And if you want the full IE6SP1 package:
>
> http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/microsoft/ie/6.0sp1/
>
> But it's 77.6MB.
>
> Hope these may help you.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Zee
>

> "Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC88A4CA-8D54-4385-B6C5-6D8B88587C1F@microsoft.com...
> > Hello Zee..
> > I have seen your post answer (resolution) to several, and although I did
> > 'exactly' as you suggested and disabled ALL background running programs, This
> > Does Not Work For Me. I have tried it 4 times. Seems like my registry has a
> > block preventing the install. I keep receiving the error message: "Setup ws
> > unable to download ... components, etc. Do you know of a site I can go to and
> > download and burn a CD for the Total IE Software ?
> > Regards,
> > Sparky
> >
> > "oops!!" wrote:
> >

> > > For the "unable to install all components" issue with IE6SP1 in WinME, try
> > > this:
> > >

> > > Go to My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View:
> > > - Select "Show hidden files and folders", click Apply - OK
> > >
> > > Create a folder named "Old uninstall".
> > >
> > > Go to folder C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Uninstall Information.
> > >
> > > Now Edit - Select All - Cut all files.
> > >
> > > Open "Old uninstall" folder and paste the files.
> > >
> > > You will now be able to install all the troublesome components.
> > >
> > > If everything works as expected, you can delete the "Old Uninstall" folder
> > > and the files you moved.
> > >
> > > Good luck,
> > >
> > > Zee
> > >

> > > "KC" <KC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > relating

> > > see
> > > in

> > > '98,

> > > except

> > > The

> > > and
> > > try
> > > then

> > > and

> > > installer.

Fred,

I've come to this thread late and can't see your earlier posts however
there's no need to download the full 77MB. The size of the Win Me files
is around 13.2 MB which whilst still a fair download on dial-up is
significantly less than 77MB.

Download the file iesetup.exe (481 KB) from the Microsoft Download Centre
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&DisplayLang=en)
and place in a folder on your desktop.

Connect to the internet. Open the folder containing iesetup.exe and
double click to open. Accept the agreement and click Next. On the next
page select Install Minimal or customize your browser and then click Next.
On the next page click the Advanced button and check "Download only", and
click OK. Now click Next , and on the next page ensure that just Windows
Millennium is checked. Click Next again and the download should start
which is around 12.7MB.

When complete you should then be able to install IE6 SP1 without having to
go on line by running iesetup.exe.
--
Mike Maltby
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Fred <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Zee..
> Thank you for your time and trouble answering my post and for the
> links. I seriously doubt if my Dial-Up connection would tolerate a
> download of >77 MB. I did find where I can order the CD from
> Microsoft and pay $5.00 for shipping and handling. I do not know why
> your method does not work for me as it has for others but again, I
> think my registry is blocking the Setup. I am thinking about just
> backing up my docs, formating and reloading my ME System Files. That
> should fix the problem, but don't really want to that. Again,
> Thanks..Will let you know how I solved the problem.

"Fred" <Fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Zee..
> I have seen your post answer (resolution) to several, and although I
did
> 'exactly' as you suggested and disabled ALL background running
programs, This
> Does Not Work For Me. I have tried it 4 times. Seems like my registry
has a
> block preventing the install. I keep receiving the error message:
"Setup ws
> unable to download ... components, etc. Do you know of a site I can go
to and
> download and burn a CD for the Total IE Software ?
> Regards,
> Sparky
>
> "oops!!" wrote:

Here in Britain, computer mags such as .NET sometimes have IE6SP1 on the
cover CD-ROM.
Regards Mike.