Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Monitor flickers on video file deletion

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 10, 2004 5:49:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I have a nec 19inch monitor with a kvm switch between two computers (radeon
9000 and 5900xt). I've been using this setup for about a year now with no
problems.

Earlier today after I restarted the r9000 comp I noticed the screen was
different, parts of the display was off screen etc, nothing major just
different. Then a couple of hours later on the 5900xt comp (not rebooted) I
tried to delete an mpg file and the monitor flickered. That was weird, never
happened before. There is only one mention of this strange problem by
another person on google groups
http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=%22delete+key%22+monit...

basically when I try to delete any video file the screen flickers like it is
changing resolutions. It worsened to even occuring on a right click on a
video file. Strangely it only happens on video files and nothing else. In my
display properties "advanced button" also causes the monitor to flicker.
This never occurred before!

I rebooted, and then I noticed that my monitor was back to "Default
Monitor". This is what happened earlier on the r9000 comp (I confirmed it)

I have changed the drivers back to the nec97 and rebooted but the flicker
problem is still there!! But everything else is fine. I can play games and
change resolutions and refresh rates except for this strange flicker bug
that only happens with video files.

Is my monitor dying?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 10, 2004 3:40:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Monster" <do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote in message
news:JeednQOPaepEWgzcRVn-vg@rogers.com...
>I have a nec 19inch monitor with a kvm switch between two computers (radeon
> 9000 and 5900xt). I've been using this setup for about a year now with no
> problems.
>
> Earlier today after I restarted the r9000 comp I noticed the screen was
> different, parts of the display was off screen etc, nothing major just
> different. Then a couple of hours later on the 5900xt comp (not rebooted)
> I
> tried to delete an mpg file and the monitor flickered. That was weird,
> never
> happened before. There is only one mention of this strange problem by
> another person on google groups
> http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=%22delete+key%22+monit...
>


Sheesh, I just got done working on a computer with a similar problem. The
one I was working on though, it would happen with any file, not just video
files. It seemed to want to open every file as a web page, regardless of
what I was trying to do with it. In other words, (for example) right-click
text file, choose delete, windows launches IE before I can even hit delete.
To fix it, I had to go into IE, tools, Internet Options, advanced, and
restore defaults.

You should check your MIME settings to see what program is associated with
video files. Then try deleting and/or reinstalling that program, to see if
that helps. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 10, 2004 9:21:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Monster:

> Then a couple of hours later on the 5900xt comp (not rebooted) I
> tried to delete an mpg file and the monitor flickered.

> basically when I try to delete any video file the screen flickers
> like it is changing resolutions. It worsened to even occuring on a
> right click on a video file. Strangely it only happens on video files
> and nothing else.

here is the solution:
==========
The cause for this lies in nvcpl.dll - a nvidia dll, which scans for
connected TVs.

The first time the dll is loaded, is at windows-bootup
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->Run).
This causes the first flicker and unfortunately the auto-startup-entry
can't be deleted.

The flicker when right-clicking on video-files is caused by a shell-
extension, which the nvidia-driver installs for all types of video-
files. This shell-extension calls nvcpl.dll everytime you right click a
video file to scan for connected TVs. If a TV is present, the shell
extension shows up in the context-menu as "Play on My TV". I never
tested this, but I suppose when you click it, the video is directly
shown on your connected TV.

This could have been implemented a lot better, this f...ing sync-flicker
is driving you crazy when browsing a video archive.

After scanning the registry, I found the key responsible for the shell
extension. Just search for "PlayOnMyTV" in the registry and you will
find some entries under "shellex" (shell extension). These entries
contain an identifier, {FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516} in my
case, I'm not sure if this identifier is static or created dynamically,
so in your registry, it might be another number. Now copy the identifier
and search for it in the registry; delete every occurence when it's
connected to video-file formats (.avi, .mpg, .mpeg and so on) and
afterwards the "PlayOnMyTV"-shellextensions.

That's it, now the flicker when right-clicking on video files should be
gone (at least it worked for me ). I hope nvidia fixes this annoying
issue asap, not every user wants this (unnecessary) extension and it
causes very annoying problems.
==========
It works.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 10, 2004 9:21:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

dude! you're my hero :) 

if you looked like Renee Zellweger I'ld kiss you

thanks you just saved me an os reinstall

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in message
news:Xns959D87E109DF1MacCool@24.25.9.43...
> Monster:
>
>> Then a couple of hours later on the 5900xt comp (not rebooted) I
>> tried to delete an mpg file and the monitor flickered.
>
>> basically when I try to delete any video file the screen flickers
>> like it is changing resolutions. It worsened to even occuring on a
>> right click on a video file. Strangely it only happens on video files
>> and nothing else.
>
> here is the solution:
> ==========
> The cause for this lies in nvcpl.dll - a nvidia dll, which scans for
> connected TVs.
>
> The first time the dll is loaded, is at windows-bootup
> (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->Run).
> This causes the first flicker and unfortunately the auto-startup-entry
> can't be deleted.
>
> The flicker when right-clicking on video-files is caused by a shell-
> extension, which the nvidia-driver installs for all types of video-
> files. This shell-extension calls nvcpl.dll everytime you right click a
> video file to scan for connected TVs. If a TV is present, the shell
> extension shows up in the context-menu as "Play on My TV". I never
> tested this, but I suppose when you click it, the video is directly
> shown on your connected TV.
>
> This could have been implemented a lot better, this f...ing sync-flicker
> is driving you crazy when browsing a video archive.
>
> After scanning the registry, I found the key responsible for the shell
> extension. Just search for "PlayOnMyTV" in the registry and you will
> find some entries under "shellex" (shell extension). These entries
> contain an identifier, {FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516} in my
> case, I'm not sure if this identifier is static or created dynamically,
> so in your registry, it might be another number. Now copy the identifier
> and search for it in the registry; delete every occurence when it's
> connected to video-file formats (.avi, .mpg, .mpeg and so on) and
> afterwards the "PlayOnMyTV"-shellextensions.
>
> That's it, now the flicker when right-clicking on video files should be
> gone (at least it worked for me ). I hope nvidia fixes this annoying
> issue asap, not every user wants this (unnecessary) extension and it
> causes very annoying problems.
> ==========
> It works.
> --
> Mac Cool
!