Repairing ME - Part 2

This a continuation of my earlier post - Repairing ME.

On monday I booted up in Safe Mode. I got an error message from Helpctr
stating that it had caused an error in MSHTML.DLL. This DLL appeared more
than once afterward. I closed the window without any problem and completed
the boot.

I opened Device Manager and removed the Toshiba CD-ROM drive. There were no
error-flagged devices. "Other" contained two unknown devices. I removed
them.

I rebooted in Normal Mode. Eventually I got the usual error message
"Explorer has caused an error in MSHTML.DLL." I closed the window, and of
course it came back again and again. I couldn't get past it. This error
stopped the boot.

There was a second error window: Run time error. "Component MSCOMCTLOCX or
one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or
invalid" I was able to close this window without further effect. Of course
the Explorer error message returned.

I rebooted in Safe Mode and got that Helpctr error message. I closed it and
did something I should have done two weeks ago. I tried to run System
Restore. Eventually I got an error message from System Restore: " Rstrui has
caused an error in MSHTML.DLL. Helpctr will now close." I couldn't get any
further with System Restore. That was perhaps a pity because there is a
hidden Restore folder on drive C.

I rebooted in Safe Mode. I had recently down loaded Spybot Search & Destroy
and Ad-Aware SE Personal and installed them. I ran Spybot. It found some
items. I had them removed. This did not complete. The program seemed to
have hung. I closed it, which I now think I shouldn't have done. Right
after this the Explorer problem began.

I rebooted and ran Spybot and Ad-Aware. They both found items. Ad-Aware
found over 300 items.

I removed all of them and rebooted in Normal Mode. Nothing had changed.
The error messages popped up and the boot was dead. I rebooted in Safe Mode
and got the error message from Helpctr. Thinking that installation of these
programs and WiZ, also a recent download, may have caused problems, I went to
Add/Remove Software and removed the anti-spyware programs. I had to remove
WiZ manually. Nothing changed and I began to regret removing these three
programs.

I should note that the Sophos virus checker runs on boot-up. I has never
found anything. The subscription is out-of-date. Since we can't access the
Internet, there is no way to update it online

On thursday I plan to borrow a PC with a floppy drive. (I don't have a
floppy drive at home.) It runs Windows XP Professional. I will download
Diskmaker, Stinger, the CWShredder files and Ad-Aware SE Personal to
diskettes and install and run them, hopefully on friday. (I hope that each
of them will fit on a single floppy.) I may download Spybot S&D. It says it
backs up the registry before scanning. Perhaps I should have paid more
attention to this when things went wrong. I will report back.

Thanks again for your help.

Alfred Bowman

Try this first:

KB 816506 - The removeNode() Function in a Script Call May Cause an Access
Violation in Mshtml.dll:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816506

Version 1173 of mshtml.dll may be downloaded directly from Microsoft at this
link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=878c5cd5-0a58-40e8-a963-7496c71d1f40&DisplayLang=en

I recommend using a PC with a CD-RW drive and burn copies of the setup files
of your various tools to it for transport to the problematic machine.
A new one costs ca. $US 35.00 today, or less.

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Sleepless in New Jersey" <SleeplessinNewJersey@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:B47E009C-76D1-4938-904B-E54F425F1BF0@microsoft.com...
> [...]
> programs.
>
> I should note that the Sophos virus checker runs on boot-up. I has never
> found anything. The subscription is out-of-date. Since we can't access
the
> Internet, there is no way to update it online
>
> On thursday I plan to borrow a PC with a floppy drive. (I don't have a
> floppy drive at home.) It runs Windows XP Professional. I will download
> Diskmaker, Stinger, the CWShredder files and Ad-Aware SE Personal to
> diskettes and install and run them, hopefully on friday. (I hope that
each
> of them will fit on a single floppy.) I may download Spybot S&D. It says
it
> backs up the registry before scanning. Perhaps I should have paid more
> attention to this when things went wrong. I will report back.

Thanks. I'll do what you suggested.

To: Jack Martinelli
From:Sleepless etc.
Subj:Booting from a start-up floppy

Can you help me?

In my first thread Noel Paton advised me to go to www.bootdisk.com and
download the OEM Win ME, run the program to create the floppy (on a borrowed
PC running XP). I have done so. I think I know how to create a DOS boot
floppy on my problem PC. The problem is that I have forgotten how to boot
from a floppy. I see the A:\ prompt and don't know how and what to type in.

My original thread is old now and I fear nobody is reading it and I could
not effectively reach Jack.

I have searched for online help. There are plenty of sites (though mostly
for Linux on creating a boot floppy, but I could nothing on booting from a
floppy.

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> [...]
> > programs.
> >
> > I should note that the Sophos virus checker runs on boot-up. I has never
> > found anything. The subscription is out-of-date. Since we can't access
> the
> > Internet, there is no way to update it online
> >
> > On thursday I plan to borrow a PC with a floppy drive. (I don't have a
> > floppy drive at home.) It runs Windows XP Professional. I will download
> > Diskmaker, Stinger, the CWShredder files and Ad-Aware SE Personal to
> > diskettes and install and run them, hopefully on friday. (I hope that
> each
> > of them will fit on a single floppy.) I may download Spybot S&D. It says
> it
> > backs up the registry before scanning. Perhaps I should have paid more
> > attention to this when things went wrong. I will report back.

Your BIOS must be set to look at the floppy before it looks at your hard
drive. Watch your boot screen very closely and it will probably tell you
to push the DEL key or f2 or some other key to get into your bios setup.
Be very careful not to change anything but the boot sequence.

Jim

Sleepless in New Jersey wrote:
> [...]
>>>programs.
>>>
>>>I should note that the Sophos virus checker runs on boot-up. I has never
>>>found anything. The subscription is out-of-date. Since we can't access
>>
>>the
>>
>>>Internet, there is no way to update it online
>>>
>>>On thursday I plan to borrow a PC with a floppy drive. (I don't have a
>>>floppy drive at home.) It runs Windows XP Professional. I will download
>>>Diskmaker, Stinger, the CWShredder files and Ad-Aware SE Personal to
>>>diskettes and install and run them, hopefully on friday. (I hope that
>>
>>each
>>
>>>of them will fit on a single floppy.) I may download Spybot S&D. It says
>>
>>it
>>
>>>backs up the registry before scanning. Perhaps I should have paid more
>>>attention to this when things went wrong. I will report back.

Thanks for your swift reply Jack. My BIOS is set to boot first from A. My
problem is that once I have created the boot floppy, inserted it, and booted
from it, I see the A:\ prompt and don't know what to do next. It's been a
long time since I have booted from a floppy. Can you help me with this?

"Jim Dell" wrote:

> Your BIOS must be set to look at the floppy before it looks at your hard
> drive. Watch your boot screen very closely and it will probably tell you
> to push the DEL key or f2 or some other key to get into your bios setup.
> Be very careful not to change anything but the boot sequence.
>
> Jim
>

> Sleepless in New Jersey wrote:
> > To: Jack Martinelli
> > From:Sleepless etc.
> > Subj:Booting from a start-up floppy
> >
> > Can you help me?
> >
> > In my first thread Noel Paton advised me to go to www.bootdisk.com and
> > download the OEM Win ME, run the program to create the floppy (on a borrowed
> > PC running XP). I have done so. I think I know how to create a DOS boot
> > floppy on my problem PC. The problem is that I have forgotten how to boot
> > from a floppy. I see the A:\ prompt and don't know how and what to type in.
> >
> > My original thread is old now and I fear nobody is reading it and I could
> > not effectively reach Jack.
> >
> > I have searched for online help. There are plenty of sites (though mostly
> > for Linux on creating a boot floppy, but I could nothing on booting from a
> > floppy.
> >

> > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
> >

> >>Try this first:
> >>
> >>KB 816506 - The removeNode() Function in a Script Call May Cause an Access
> >>Violation in Mshtml.dll:
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816506
> >>
> >>Version 1173 of mshtml.dll may be downloaded directly from Microsoft at this
> >>link:
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=878c5cd5-0a58-40e8-a963-7496c71d1f40&DisplayLang=en
> >>

> >>I recommend using a PC with a CD-RW drive and burn copies of the setup files
> >>of your various tools to it for transport to the problematic machine.
> >>A new one costs ca. $US 35.00 today, or less.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> >>Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >>
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> >>Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> >>------

> >>completed

> >>no

> >>or

> >>course

> >>and

> >>has

> >>any

> >>Destroy

> >>Mode

> >>these

> >>remove

> >>the

> >>each

> >>it

Alfred, - not too sure what Noel was going to suggest you do in Real Mode
DOS (i.e. after booting, using your 'new' WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk). BUT,
one thing you cannot do - is to boot into WinMe!

From the A:\> prompt, you have a number 'tools' or utilities at your
disposal and not having a copy of Noel's post, I'm not sure what his
strategy was to be.

In the meantime, if you have a copy of an MS WinMe CD (may not be available
on an OEM CD) take a look in the 'tools' folder for the 'oldmsdos' folder
and run "help.com" (It will run in a 'Windows' window). This will give you a
pretty comprehensive list with descriptions and examples of use, for
(almost) all the DOS commands available. - Just a little bit of homework to
be going on with - and to maintain those sleepless nights <g>

Mart

wrote in message news:968C9F11-63D2-4FD2-A5C3-D64A34187595@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your swift reply Jack. My BIOS is set to boot first from A.
> My
> problem is that once I have created the boot floppy, inserted it, and
> booted
> from it, I see the A:\ prompt and don't know what to do next. It's been a
> long time since I have booted from a floppy. Can you help me with this?
>
> "Jim Dell" wrote:
>
>> Your BIOS must be set to look at the floppy before it looks at your hard
>> drive. Watch your boot screen very closely and it will probably tell you
>> to push the DEL key or f2 or some other key to get into your bios setup.
>> Be very careful not to change anything but the boot sequence.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> Sleepless in New Jersey wrote:
>> > To: Jack Martinelli
>> > From:Sleepless etc.
>> > Subj:Booting from a start-up floppy
>> >
>> > Can you help me?
>> >
>> > In my first thread Noel Paton advised me to go to www.bootdisk.com and
>> > download the OEM Win ME, run the program to create the floppy (on a
>> > borrowed
>> > PC running XP). I have done so. I think I know how to create a DOS
>> > boot
>> > floppy on my problem PC. The problem is that I have forgotten how to
>> > boot
>> > from a floppy. I see the A:\ prompt and don't know how and what to
>> > type in.
>> >
>> > My original thread is old now and I fear nobody is reading it and I
>> > could
>> > not effectively reach Jack.
>> >
>> > I have searched for online help. There are plenty of sites (though
>> > mostly
>> > for Linux on creating a boot floppy, but I could nothing on booting
>> > from a
>> > floppy.

Ah! - Found it - I think?

> .... The problem PC's CD-ROM drive
> doesn't work, but the floppy does.

If so, come back and someone will try to talk you thru'

Mart

<snipped>

Thanks for filling the gap, Mart!
(It's been a busy week here)

We still don't know the extent of the problems on the affected PC - so far
all we have is a rather vague 'The CD doesn't work', and
"Windows Explorer is causing an error on start-up that prevents completion
of
the boot. An error window pops up stating this. I click on OK and the
window closes only to pop up again and again."

We need to know the EXACT error message, before we can offer specific
advice.

In the meantime, running ScanDisk from DOS, and following with an AV scan
and spyware scan in Safe Mode may help matters.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Alfred, - not too sure what Noel was going to suggest you do in Real Mode
> DOS (i.e. after booting, using your 'new' WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk).
> BUT, one thing you cannot do - is to boot into WinMe!
>
> From the A:\> prompt, you have a number 'tools' or utilities at your
> disposal and not having a copy of Noel's post, I'm not sure what his
> strategy was to be.
>
> In the meantime, if you have a copy of an MS WinMe CD (may not be
> available on an OEM CD) take a look in the 'tools' folder for the
> 'oldmsdos' folder and run "help.com" (It will run in a 'Windows' window).
> This will give you a pretty comprehensive list with descriptions and
> examples of use, for (almost) all the DOS commands available. - Just a
> little bit of homework to be going on with - and to maintain those
> sleepless nights <g>
>
> Mart
>

> "Sleepless in New Jersey" <SleeplessinNewJersey@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your swift reply Jack. My BIOS is set to boot first from A.
>> My
>> problem is that once I have created the boot floppy, inserted it, and
>> booted
>> from it, I see the A:\ prompt and don't know what to do next. It's been
>> long time since I have booted from a floppy. Can you help me with this?
>>
>> "Jim Dell" wrote:
>>
>>> Your BIOS must be set to look at the floppy before it looks at your hard
>>> drive. Watch your boot screen very closely and it will probably tell you
>>> to push the DEL key or f2 or some other key to get into your bios setup.
>>> Be very careful not to change anything but the boot sequence.
>>>
>>> Jim

The error messages and other matters are detailed in my opening post to this
thread.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Thanks for filling the gap, Mart!
> (It's been a busy week here)
>
> We still don't know the extent of the problems on the affected PC - so far
> all we have is a rather vague 'The CD doesn't work', and
> "Windows Explorer is causing an error on start-up that prevents completion
> of
> the boot. An error window pops up stating this. I click on OK and the
> window closes only to pop up again and again."
>
> We need to know the EXACT error message, before we can offer specific
> advice.
>
> In the meantime, running ScanDisk from DOS, and following with an AV scan
> and spyware scan in Safe Mode may help matters.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Alfred, - not too sure what Noel was going to suggest you do in Real Mode
> > DOS (i.e. after booting, using your 'new' WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk).
> > BUT, one thing you cannot do - is to boot into WinMe!
> >
> > From the A:\> prompt, you have a number 'tools' or utilities at your
> > disposal and not having a copy of Noel's post, I'm not sure what his
> > strategy was to be.
> >
> > In the meantime, if you have a copy of an MS WinMe CD (may not be
> > available on an OEM CD) take a look in the 'tools' folder for the
> > 'oldmsdos' folder and run "help.com" (It will run in a 'Windows' window).
> > This will give you a pretty comprehensive list with descriptions and
> > examples of use, for (almost) all the DOS commands available. - Just a
> > little bit of homework to be going on with - and to maintain those
> > sleepless nights <g>
> >
> > Mart
> >

> > "Sleepless in New Jersey" <SleeplessinNewJersey@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote in message
> >> Thanks for your swift reply Jack. My BIOS is set to boot first from A.
> >> My
> >> problem is that once I have created the boot floppy, inserted it, and
> >> booted
> >> from it, I see the A:\ prompt and don't know what to do next. It's been
> >> long time since I have booted from a floppy. Can you help me with this?

www.bootdisk.com
download the diskmaker for the OEM Win ME disk, run the program to create
the floppy on your home machine (or any other machine) and take it to work
with you

--

Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)www.bootdisk.com

"Mart" wrote:

> Ah! - Found it - I think?
>
> > .... The problem PC's CD-ROM drive
> > doesn't work, but the floppy does.
>
> If so, come back and someone will try to talk you thru'
>
> Mart
>
> <snipped>

"Sleepless in New Jersey" wrote:

> Thanks for your swift reply Jim. My BIOS is set to boot first from A. My
> problem is that once I have created the boot floppy, inserted it, and booted
> from it, I see the A:\ prompt and don't know what to do next. It's been a
> long time since I have booted from a floppy. Can you help me with this?
>
> "Jim Dell" wrote:
>
> > Your BIOS must be set to look at the floppy before it looks at your hard
> > drive. Watch your boot screen very closely and it will probably tell you
> > to push the DEL key or f2 or some other key to get into your bios setup.
> > Be very careful not to change anything but the boot sequence.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > Sleepless in New Jersey wrote:
> > > To: Jack Martinelli
> > > From:Sleepless etc.
> > > Subj:Booting from a start-up floppy
> > >
> > > Can you help me?
> > >
> > > In my first thread Noel Paton advised me to go to www.bootdisk.com and
> > > download the OEM Win ME, run the program to create the floppy (on a borrowed
> > > PC running XP). I have done so. I think I know how to create a DOS boot
> > > floppy on my problem PC. The problem is that I have forgotten how to boot
> > > from a floppy. I see the A:\ prompt and don't know how and what to type in.
> > >
> > > My original thread is old now and I fear nobody is reading it and I could
> > > not effectively reach Jack.
> > >
> > > I have searched for online help. There are plenty of sites (though mostly
> > > for Linux on creating a boot floppy, but I could nothing on booting from a
> > > floppy.

Today and over the weekend I downloaded the following files to floppies:

IE6.1 fix q816506
Stinger
Win ME OEM Alt1 bootme
Win ME OEM Alt2 bootme
(I suspect there is a duplication here.)
wiz502xN for Win ME
cwshredder zipped

I tried to download Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot
Search & Destroy, but the were to large to fit on a
floppy.

On Tuesday I will try to run them.

It will be a moment of truth. Wish me well.

> [...]

> Add/Remove Software and removed the anti-spyware programs. I had to remove
> WiZ manually. Nothing changed and I began to regret removing these three
> programs.
>
> I should note that the Sophos virus checker runs on boot-up. I has never
> found anything. The subscription is out-of-date. Since we can't access the
> Internet, there is no way to update it online
>
> On thursday I plan to borrow a PC with a floppy drive. (I don't have a
> floppy drive at home.) It runs Windows XP Professional. I will download
> Diskmaker, Stinger, the CWShredder files and Ad-Aware SE Personal to
> diskettes and install and run them, hopefully on friday. (I hope that each
> of them will fit on a single floppy.) I may download Spybot S&D. It says it
> backs up the registry before scanning. Perhaps I should have paid more
> attention to this when things went wrong. I will report back.

Yesterday I successfully installed WiZ. (Needed to unzip CWShredder.) I
installed and ran Stinger. No problems. I unzipped, installed and ran
CWShredder. No problems. I tried to create boot disks through Win OEM Alt1
and Alt2. The programs weren't able to create the disks. I tried to make a
startup disk using ME (in Safe Mode). It couldn't find a certain file. I
looked in a Windows subfolder and found it, but couldn't do any thing about
it. No startup disk. The final file was IE6.1 fix q816506. I tried to
install it but got an error window stating that IE 6 SP 1 was required. I
have the installation CD for this at home, but since the problem PC's CD-ROM
drive is broken I couldn't use it. This was a disappointment. This file was
supposed to patch mshtml.dll. This file had figured in some of the start-up
error messages that I had gotten.

Unless there is something else I could try, it looks like this thread has
reached the end. We have some options. The simplest and quickest is to buy
a new CD-ROM drive. The powers-that-be here don't want to spend money on
this PC because of its age. However, there are patient funds and my own
money.

However, there is one catch. In order for the new drive option to work, I
would have to be able to fix a corrupted operating system. I have an ME
installation CD (Upgrade version). I have only about 500 MB of space on my
hard drive. I don't think that is enough for a fresh installation. One
approach would be to selectively reinstall individual files. I have two
Microsoft papers: "How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows ME
" and "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files". These methods
seem to require me to know the names of the files to be loaded, and this
could be a problem for me.

The only alternative would be to reinstall ME over the existing
installation. This was possible with earlier versions of Windows. Is it
possible with ME?

> [...]

> > Add/Remove Software and removed the anti-spyware programs. I had to remove
> > WiZ manually. Nothing changed and I began to regret removing these three
> > programs.
> >
> > I should note that the Sophos virus checker runs on boot-up. I has never
> > found anything. The subscription is out-of-date. Since we can't access the
> > Internet, there is no way to update it online
> >
> > On thursday I plan to borrow a PC with a floppy drive. (I don't have a
> > floppy drive at home.) It runs Windows XP Professional. I will download
> > Diskmaker, Stinger, the CWShredder files and Ad-Aware SE Personal to
> > diskettes and install and run them, hopefully on friday. (I hope that each
> > of them will fit on a single floppy.) I may download Spybot S&D. It says it
> > backs up the registry before scanning. Perhaps I should have paid more
> > attention to this when things went wrong. I will report back.

Noel Paton is now our leading expert on reinstalling WinME:
Re-installing ME
http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm

Be sure to read the details and caveats closely, several times, and follow
the instructions precisely.
Think carefully about the pros and cons of this "in-place" reinstallation
vs. a "clean" installation.

Post to Noel with any problems or prior questions.

CD readers are very cheap now. I think it best to install a good one.

Be sure to run Disk Cleanup, followed by Defrag, before running the
reinstallation. Get the C:\ in the best possible shape for the new OS.
And clear out all viruses, spyware, and other pests.

wrote in message news:251F08FF-FADE-4C07-83A4-C70001ADB3B4@microsoft.com...
> [...]
> > >
> > > I should note that the Sophos virus checker runs on boot-up. I has
never
> > > found anything. The subscription is out-of-date. Since we can't
access the
> > > Internet, there is no way to update it online
> > >
> > > On thursday I plan to borrow a PC with a floppy drive. (I don't have
> > > floppy drive at home.) It runs Windows XP Professional. I will
download
> > > Diskmaker, Stinger, the CWShredder files and Ad-Aware SE Personal to
> > > diskettes and install and run them, hopefully on friday. (I hope that
each
> > > of them will fit on a single floppy.) I may download Spybot S&D. It
says it
> > > backs up the registry before scanning. Perhaps I should have paid
more
> > > attention to this when things went wrong. I will report back.

Thanks a lot for your attention and help. I will contact Noel Paton directly.

I really would prefer to do a "clean" install, but I only have 500MB
available on drive C. I tried to reinstall ME on our other PC. I was hoping
to do an "in-place" install but I never saw the option to do that. So I
proceeded with a "clean" install. It did not go well. I had cleared out
about 750MB on the hard drive. After about 40 minutes of trundling, I was
told there wasn't enough room and I had to abort the install.......and found
I had a disaster on my hands. If this could happen with 750MB, what would
with only 500 MB.

Alfred Bowman

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> [...]
> > seem to require me to know the names of the files to be loaded, and this
> > could be a problem for me.
> >
> > The only alternative would be to reinstall ME over the existing
> > installation. This was possible with earlier versions of Windows. Is it
> > possible with ME?
> >

> > "Sleepless in New Jersey" wrote:
> >
> > > Today and over the weekend I downloaded the following files to floppies:
> > >
> > > IE6.1 fix q816506
> > > Stinger
> > > Win ME OEM Alt1 bootme
> > > Win ME OEM Alt2 bootme
> > > (I suspect there is a duplication here.)
> > > wiz502xN for Win ME
> > > cwshredder zipped
> > >
> > > I tried to download Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot
> > > Search & Destroy, but the were to large to fit on a
> > > floppy.
> > >
> > > On Tuesday I will try to run them.
> > >
> > > It will be a moment of truth. Wish me well.

What size is the HD? - a CLEAN install is where you wipe the disk
beforehand, so maximising the available space.
If you can, install Belarc Advisor, and email me the results of a scan - my
email here is valid

--

wrote in message news:77E94290-22FD-4043-9D5B-36300D8E2AF8@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > installation CD (Upgrade version). I have only about 500 MB of space
>> > on
>> my
>> > hard drive. I don't think that is enough for a fresh installation.
>> > One
>> > approach would be to selectively reinstall individual files. I have
>> > two
>> > Microsoft papers: "How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in
>> > Windows
>> ME
>> > " and "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files". These
>> > methods
>> > seem to require me to know the names of the files to be loaded, and
>> > this
>> > could be a problem for me.
>> >
>> > The only alternative would be to reinstall ME over the existing
>> > installation. This was possible with earlier versions of Windows. Is

Listen up, Sleepless, and please do as Noel suggests.
The whole world is watching ...

"
> >> Rstrui has
> >> get any

> >> Destroy
> >> some
> >> seemed to
> >> Right

> >> Ad-Aware

> >> changed.
> >> Safe Mode
> >> these
> >> went to
> >> remove
> >> three

> >> never
> >> access the

> >> download
> >> each
> >> says it
> >> more

The HD is only 2GB in size. The PC has only 64MB of RAM. I have cleaned out
the HD as best I could. There are no datafiles. The only programs installed
are ME and AOL 7.0 There is 711MB of free space. I don't think I could
install ME in that amount of space.

However, I think I see light at the end of the tunnel. A counterpart of
mine at the hospital gave me a CD-ROM drive. The faceplate says it was
manufactured in 1995. It must be very sl oowww. Assuming it actually works,
on Friday I will install it. But wait, there's more.

I also got an OEM Windows 98 installation CD together with the Product Code.
I am assured that it will install without requiring an earlier version of
Windows be installed. I am told that I will be asked if I want to format the
hard drive. I want to clear out the hard disk, so I will tell it to go
ahead. Hopefully the PC will be running under Windows 98.

I also got a Windows 98SE upgrade installation CD with the Product Code.
Once we are up and running, I will install this upgrade. I should have our
ME upgrade installation CD with the Product Code by early next week. I will
upgrade to ME.

Hopefully, this bootstrap operation will get us back to where we were.
Except for one thing....AOL. I have the CD for AOL 9.0 and instructions for
contacting our existing account. However, I understand that 9.0 needs 128MB
of RAM or twice what we have. I hope to find an installed or installable
version of AOL in one of the above installations. If not, I will somehow
have to contact AOL from home (where I don't run AOL) and ask (beg?) for an
older version we can run.

Hopefully I wont be Sleepless in New Jersey for much longer.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Alfred Bowman

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Alfred Bowman
> >
> > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
> >
> >> Noel Paton is now our leading expert on reinstalling WinME:
> >> Re-installing ME
> >> http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/reinME.htm
> >>
> >> Be sure to read the details and caveats closely, several times, and
> >> follow
> >> the instructions precisely.
> >> Think carefully about the pros and cons of this "in-place" reinstallation
> >> vs. a "clean" installation.
> >>
> >> Post to Noel with any problems or prior questions.
> >>
> >> CD readers are very cheap now. I think it best to install a good one.
> >>
> >> Be sure to run Disk Cleanup, followed by Defrag, before running the
> >> reinstallation. Get the C:\ in the best possible shape for the new OS.
> >> And clear out all viruses, spyware, and other pests.
> >> --
> >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

If funds permit, and you really wish to continue using this older machine
rather than buy or build a new one, then I recommend installing at least 128
MB of additional physical memory, and replacing the current HD with a new,
larger, faster one. Wait for the WinME upgrade CD to arrive and use it
only. During its installation, it will ask for proof of a qualifying
Windows installation. Put any of the Win98 disks in the CD drive and select
it to qualify. The WinME installation will resume and ask for its disk, to
continue the installation.

Be sure to select to use a large disk during the partition/formatting
process, or do so before hand using fdisk from a boot floppy. Remember that
you want to be able to use a possible 2 GB swap file, in addition to the OS
files, and any apps and personal files.
Keep the initial OS partition at or under 8 GB to ensure that 4 KB clusters
are used to maximize memory performance.
A third-party partition manager will afford complete control of all of this:
http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm

This "clean" installation will avoid leaving all kinds of Win98 orphaned
files on the HD and similar entries in the registry.
http://www.aumha.org/a/clean.htm

Your older CD drive will be just fine for such OS and app installations.

This recommendation resolves any potential AOL 9.0 problems, also. Older
versions are easily found.

wrote in message news:6E49FF73-3B51-4121-88F0-7DE04D3FF712@microsoft.com...
> The HD is only 2GB in size. The PC has only 64MB of RAM. I have cleaned
out
> the HD as best I could. There are no datafiles. The only programs
installed
> are ME and AOL 7.0 There is 711MB of free space. I don't think I could
> install ME in that amount of space.
>
> However, I think I see light at the end of the tunnel. A counterpart of
> mine at the hospital gave me a CD-ROM drive. The faceplate says it was
> manufactured in 1995. It must be very sl oowww. Assuming it actually
works,
> on Friday I will install it. But wait, there's more.
>
> I also got an OEM Windows 98 installation CD together with the Product
Code.
> I am assured that it will install without requiring an earlier version of
> Windows be installed. I am told that I will be asked if I want to format
the
> hard drive. I want to clear out the hard disk, so I will tell it to go
> ahead. Hopefully the PC will be running under Windows 98.
>
> I also got a Windows 98SE upgrade installation CD with the Product Code.
> Once we are up and running, I will install this upgrade. I should have
our
> ME upgrade installation CD with the Product Code by early next week. I
will
> upgrade to ME.
>
> Hopefully, this bootstrap operation will get us back to where we were.
> Except for one thing....AOL. I have the CD for AOL 9.0 and instructions
for
> contacting our existing account. However, I understand that 9.0 needs
128MB
> of RAM or twice what we have. I hope to find an installed or installable
> version of AOL in one of the above installations. If not, I will somehow
> have to contact AOL from home (where I don't run AOL) and ask (beg?) for
an
> older version we can run.
>
> Hopefully I wont be Sleepless in New Jersey for much longer.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help.
>
> Alfred Bowman
>

> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
> > What size is the HD? - a CLEAN install is where you wipe the disk
> > beforehand, so maximising the available space.
> > If you can, install Belarc Advisor, and email me the results of a scan -
my
> > email here is valid
> >

> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> > "Sleepless in New Jersey"
<SleeplessinNewJersey@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote in message
> > > Thanks a lot for your attention and help. I will contact Noel Paton
> > > directly.
> > >
> > > I really would prefer to do a "clean" install, but I only have 500MB
> > > available on drive C. I tried to reinstall ME on our other PC. I was
> > > hoping
> > > to do an "in-place" install but I never saw the option to do that. So
> > > proceeded with a "clean" install. It did not go well. I had cleared
out
> > > about 750MB on the hard drive. After about 40 minutes of trundling, I
was
> > > told there wasn't enough room and I had to abort the install.......and
> > > found
> > > I had a disaster on my hands. If this could happen with 750MB, what
would
> > > with only 500 MB.
> > >
> > > Alfred Bowman

OS.

CWShredder.)
OEM
PC's
This

Is

This

Restore: "

Personal
S&D.

Nobody here wants to spend money on this relic. We just
want to get it running again for a while. Our present
workload is low by design. It is used for Internet
email, news and browsing. I don't allow downloads. We
can live with its limitations for a while longer.

In the last 10 months,our management has applied to the
hospital for a new PC several times. Unfortunately we
have been turned down each time. We applied again on
Friday. This time we requested a replacement, new or
surplus. However, I don't have much hope. The director of
our program is contacting veterans groups for donations.
I heard she was having some success. As for me, I learned of
another vets program here that expects to replace its
gear with state-of-the-art stuff by the end of March.
Their five or six existing PC's are considerably better
than the two we have. I have requested two of their
surplus PC's from my counterpart in their program.
There is the possibility of using patient funds earned
through the operation of our snacks store. To keep the
potential cost down I have been searching the Internet
for refurbished PC's. One way or another we will get
something. Meanwhile we have had a setback, temporary I
hope.

I thought I was so close. On Friday I got the help of a
local technical support guy. We installed the CD-ROM
drive in the case. We needed to find out if it was
working. Our corrupted ME can't boot normally and my
support guy said the CD isn't accessable in Safe Mode.
We tried to boot from the Windows 98 CD, but it wasn't a
boot disk. We tried to boot from an ME start-up floppy.
That's when we found out that the floppy drive had
died. He said he would bring a replacement on Monday or
Tuesday. The plan is to boot from that floppy and, if
the boot succeeds, reformat the hard drive. That will
get rid of everything.

We should have an ME CD on Monday or Tuesday. We'll
stay with ME and follow your directions. If this succeeds
I somehow will have to find a version of AOL we can run.

Many thanks for all the help and attention you have given me.

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> [...]
> > Except for one thing....AOL. I have the CD for AOL 9.0 and instructions
> for
> > contacting our existing account. However, I understand that 9.0 needs
> 128MB
> > of RAM or twice what we have. I hope to find an installed or installable
> > version of AOL in one of the above installations. If not, I will somehow
> > have to contact AOL from home (where I don't run AOL) and ask (beg?) for
> an
> > older version we can run.
> >
> > Hopefully I wont be Sleepless in New Jersey for much longer.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your help.
> >
> > Alfred Bowman
> >

> > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> >
> > > What size is the HD? - a CLEAN install is where you wipe the disk
> > > beforehand, so maximising the available space.
> > > If you can, install Belarc Advisor, and email me the results of a scan -

While I can't possibly know about the intricacies of your mangement's logic,
I can't (easily) understand why they can't find $375.00 to move you into the
20th century, and to obtain XP Home:

Eg.,

Dell Dimension 2400
Entry Level PC Dimension 2400
XP Home, 80GB Hard Drive & 3 year Service Dimension 3000
Essential Technology on a Budget Dimension 3000
XP Home, 80GB Hard Drive,
15 Month McAfee Security, &
3 year Service

$349.00
Offer Details
After $50 OFF Instantly!
After $40 Mail-in Rebate!
Rebate Details

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/low_price_dimen?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

And I suspect I could find a dozen equal or better offers in 6 hours, only
using the Internet.

The jump up in robustness and security alone from XP, not mentioning the new
hardware, is an overwhelming argument, IMO.
It would seem the amount of money is not the real issue for management here.
A bake sale and a Saturday car wash ought to raise this piddlely amount of
money.
Heck, I'll contribute $20! That's five per cent.

wrote in message news:2EC60743-20C4-4B35-AEB5-A38D7B4D086D@microsoft.com...
> [...]
> > will
> > > upgrade to ME.
> > >
> > > Hopefully, this bootstrap operation will get us back to where we were.
> > > Except for one thing....AOL. I have the CD for AOL 9.0 and
instructions
> > for
> > > contacting our existing account. However, I understand that 9.0 needs
> > 128MB
> > > of RAM or twice what we have. I hope to find an installed or
installable
> > > version of AOL in one of the above installations. If not, I will
somehow
> > > have to contact AOL from home (where I don't run AOL) and ask (beg?)
for
> > an
> > > older version we can run.
> > >
> > > Hopefully I wont be Sleepless in New Jersey for much longer.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:07:45 -0500, "Jack E Martinelli"

>While I can't possibly know about the intricacies of your mangement's logic,
>I can't (easily) understand why they can't find $375.00 to move you into the
>20th century, and to obtain XP Home:

If tax management's as per bigbiz, then sure. Else, no way.

Let's get scientific here. Start by checking the hardware (other than
the CD-ROM, which I'd replace with another, if not a CDRW):
- motherboard caps, fans, etc.
- MemTest86 to check RAM
- DOS mode diskette boot, ScanDisk surface scan to check HD
- formal virus check from same diskette DOS mode boot

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm in other words.

There's a reason that page is called "Before You Think".

Here we are thinking about how to re-install WinME or whether to get a
new PC instead, but (unless it was earlier in the thread) it may be
that no-one's verified the hardware yet.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing
in it, does not go away (PKD)