Dell Optiplex Second Serial port

I have a Dell optiplex GX270, a I would like to use the second serial
port that is present on de motherboard. Does anyone have the pinout of
this 12-pin connector?
I assume that 9 of them are used to connect to the 9-subD, and one pin
is not present. So there are two pins left, which I expect to be used
for availibility detection (enable).
But I'd like to be more certain before trying.

Who can help?
7 answers Last reply
More about dell optiplex serial port

    "John Fox" <johan@devos-Christiaens-dot-be.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell optiplex GX270, a I would like to use the second serial
    > port that is present on de motherboard. Does anyone have the pinout of
    > this 12-pin connector?
    > I assume that 9 of them are used to connect to the 9-subD, and one pin
    > is not present. So there are two pins left, which I expect to be used
    > for availibility detection (enable).
    > But I'd like to be more certain before trying.
    >
    > Who can help?

    That doesn't sound like a serial port - perhaps a joystick port??

    Well,
    it is definitely a serial port. The connector is also mentionned in
    the documentation, but no pins are described....

    > Well,
    > it is definitely a serial port. The connector is also mentionned in
    > the documentation, but no pins are described....

    A recount here reveals that joysticks are 15 pin connectors and I';m sure
    you know what a VGA connector looks like, so that leaves me stumped! Serial
    ports are either 9 pin or 25 pin affairs. I have never encountered a 12pin
    serial port or cable. Do they mention anything about convertor adapters to
    connect to standard RS232 serial cables?

    Well,
    the connector on the main board is one for inserting a flatcable
    connector., male
    It looks like this:
    ------------
    | oooo o |
    | oooooo |
    -----__----

    Where o = a pin.
    So pin 1 to 9 are present, pin 10 is empty, and pin 11 and 12 are also
    present.

    As I mentionned in first, I think the 2 extra pins (11 & 12) are
    use to detect the presence of the adapter cable, so it can be visible
    in the bios setup.
    I know DELL sells such an adaptor cable (option when buying a PC)

    John Fox wrote:

    > Well,
    > the connector on the main board is one for inserting a flatcable
    > connector., male
    > It looks like this:
    > ------------
    > | oooo o |
    > | oooooo |
    > -----__----
    >
    > Where o = a pin.
    > So pin 1 to 9 are present, pin 10 is empty, and pin 11 and 12 are also
    > present.
    >
    > As I mentionned in first, I think the 2 extra pins (11 & 12) are
    > use to detect the presence of the adapter cable, so it can be visible
    > in the bios setup.
    > I know DELL sells such an adaptor cable (option when buying a PC)

    Have you tried searching their support site for information on it?

    Well,

    I searched the DELL site, but they seem to do very mysterious about
    it. No pinning info is found...

    John Fox wrote:

    > Well,
    >
    > I searched the DELL site, but they seem to do very mysterious about
    > it. No pinning info is found...

    Email Dell support.

Homebuilt Optiplex Dell Systems