Error message on Scan Defrag or through Norton System Works

I am getting the following error message....

The boot area on this drive contains invalid information about this drive's
free space.
Windows may report the drive's free space incorrectly or slowly.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Can you please clarify?

Are you suggesting that there is an issue with ScanDefrag v5.0?

Or, is (MS) Defrag and/or Defrag itself reporting the message?

Try running scandisk in Safe Mode (defrag won't run in Safe Mode) and see if
you get the same report.

If so, try running scandisk in Real Mode DOS by booting from your WinMe
Startup (floppy) Disk and type "scandisk c:" (no quotes and note the colon
after the c) at the A:\> prompt. Press Return and follow the screen prompts.

N.B. - for the moment, DO NOT let it do a 'surface scan' - you *may* have a
failing hard drive.

Come back with your results and someone should be able to help you.

Mart

"salukiMike" <salukiMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am getting the following error message....
>
> The boot area on this drive contains invalid information about this
> drive's
> free space.
> Windows may report the drive's free space incorrectly or slowly.
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Mart
Would you elaborate on Defrag won't run in Safe mode. Although I no
longer do it in safe mode because I use Diskeeper Lite, my
recollection is I always defragged in safe mode when using MS's defrag
utility.
Thanks
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Can you please clarify?
>
> Are you suggesting that there is an issue with ScanDefrag v5.0?
>
> Or, is (MS) Defrag and/or Defrag itself reporting the message?
>
> Try running scandisk in Safe Mode (defrag won't run in Safe Mode)
and see if
> you get the same report.
>
> If so, try running scandisk in Real Mode DOS by booting from your
WinMe
> Startup (floppy) Disk and type "scandisk c:" (no quotes and note the
colon
> after the c) at the A:\> prompt. Press Return and follow the screen
prompts.

> N.B. - for the moment, DO NOT let it do a 'surface scan' - you *may*
have a
> failing hard drive.
>
> Come back with your results and someone should be able to help you.
>
> Mart
>

> "salukiMike" <salukiMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am getting the following error message....
> >
> > The boot area on this drive contains invalid information about
this
> > drive's
> > free space.
> > Windows may report the drive's free space incorrectly or slowly.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be helpful.
> >
> > Thanks!

Hi DD - My bad, I'm sorry - caffeine issues <g>

I *meant* to say that Defrag wont run in Real Mode DOS.

Total aberration, I'm afraid - I've no idea why I associated it with 'Safe
Mode'.

Mart

"Dapper Dan" <dapperdan@home.com> wrote in message
> Hi Mart
> Would you elaborate on Defrag won't run in Safe mode. Although I no
> longer do it in safe mode because I use Diskeeper Lite, my
> recollection is I always defragged in safe mode when using MS's defrag
> utility.
> Thanks
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Can you please clarify?
>>
>> Are you suggesting that there is an issue with ScanDefrag v5.0?
>>
>> Or, is (MS) Defrag and/or Defrag itself reporting the message?
>>
>> Try running scandisk in Safe Mode (defrag won't run in Safe Mode)
> and see if
>> you get the same report.
>>
>> If so, try running scandisk in Real Mode DOS by booting from your
> WinMe
>> Startup (floppy) Disk and type "scandisk c:" (no quotes and note the
> colon
>> after the c) at the A:\> prompt. Press Return and follow the screen
> prompts.
>>
>> N.B. - for the moment, DO NOT let it do a 'surface scan' - you *may*
> have a
>> failing hard drive.
>>
>> Come back with your results and someone should be able to help you.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "salukiMike" <salukiMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am getting the following error message....
>> >
>> > The boot area on this drive contains invalid information about
> this
>> > drive's
>> > free space.
>> > Windows may report the drive's free space incorrectly or slowly.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions would be helpful.
>> >
>> > Thanks!

Thanks for the clarification, Mart.

> Hi DD - My bad, I'm sorry - caffeine issues <g>
>
> I *meant* to say that Defrag wont run in Real Mode DOS.
>
> Total aberration, I'm afraid - I've no idea why I associated it with
'Safe
> Mode'.
>
> Mart
>

> "Dapper Dan" <dapperdan@home.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Mart
> > Would you elaborate on Defrag won't run in Safe mode. Although I
no
> > longer do it in safe mode because I use Diskeeper Lite, my
> > recollection is I always defragged in safe mode when using MS's
defrag
> > utility.
> > Thanks
> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Can you please clarify?
> >>
> >> Are you suggesting that there is an issue with ScanDefrag v5.0?
> >>
> >> Or, is (MS) Defrag and/or Defrag itself reporting the message?
> >>
> >> Try running scandisk in Safe Mode (defrag won't run in Safe Mode)
> > and see if
> >> you get the same report.
> >>
> >> If so, try running scandisk in Real Mode DOS by booting from your
> > WinMe
> >> Startup (floppy) Disk and type "scandisk c:" (no quotes and note
the
> > colon
> >> after the c) at the A:\> prompt. Press Return and follow the
screen
> > prompts.
> >>
> >> N.B. - for the moment, DO NOT let it do a 'surface scan' - you
*may*
> > have a
> >> failing hard drive.
> >>
> >> Come back with your results and someone should be able to help
you.

> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "salukiMike" <salukiMike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message