CD Drives Missing in Windows Explorer

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 2, 2005 1:52:03 PM

I am having an issue with my CD drives not showing up in Windows Explorer on
my initial boot up. I have an AMD Duron 1000 running Windows ME. When I
initially boot up the machine in the morning the two CD drives (actually a
DVD player drive and a CD-RW drive) do not show up in Explorer). In the
Device Manager I get a yellow exclamation point next to the Secondary IDE
Controller in my Hard Disk Controllers. However when I reboot the machine
all is well. The CD drives are present and the Device Manager has no
errors. Does anyone know how to fix this annoying issue? I would
appreciate any help.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:28:19 PM

Your PC - or more specifically, WinMe - appears to be having difficulties
enumerating your CD's at boot-up. Can't "guarantee" this will "cure" the
problem, but it's a first start in the troubleshooting chain.

Instead of letting the PC boot into Normal Mode, 'when (You) initially boot
up the machine in the morning', boot it into Safe Mode (Ctrl or F8 key at
boot-up) and look in Device Manager and Delete ALL/ANY CD-ROM's shown. (If
there are any more than two, make a note and report back - but continue)

Re-boot and let WinMe re-detect (enumerate) your CD-ROM's and re-install
their drivers. (N.B. - These drivers should not affect your CD-RW software)

At worst, you will be back in the same state that you are at now. At best
you * may* have fixed it!

Good luck

Mart

"Ginger" <another@day.com> wrote in message
>I am having an issue with my CD drives not showing up in Windows Explorer
>on
> my initial boot up. I have an AMD Duron 1000 running Windows ME. When I
> initially boot up the machine in the morning the two CD drives (actually a
> DVD player drive and a CD-RW drive) do not show up in Explorer). In the
> Device Manager I get a yellow exclamation point next to the Secondary IDE
> Controller in my Hard Disk Controllers. However when I reboot the machine
> all is well. The CD drives are present and the Device Manager has no
> errors. Does anyone know how to fix this annoying issue? I would
> appreciate any help.

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:43:21 PM

Here is the clue: " ... I get a yellow exclamation point next to the
Secondary IDE Controller in my Hard Disk Controllers. "

The secondary IDE controller has a driver problem, obscurring the CD drive
detection.
Reboot to Safe Mode and remove the IDE controller. Reboot to Normal Mode
letting Windows restore the IDE drivers. this may require a second reboot
to enable the secondary controller.

When all seems well, reexamine Device Manager for the IDE controllers and
the CD/DVD devices.

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Your PC - or more specifically, WinMe - appears to be having difficulties
> enumerating your CD's at boot-up. Can't "guarantee" this will "cure" the
> problem, but it's a first start in the troubleshooting chain.
>
> Instead of letting the PC boot into Normal Mode, 'when (You) initially
boot
> up the machine in the morning', boot it into Safe Mode (Ctrl or F8 key at
> boot-up) and look in Device Manager and Delete ALL/ANY CD-ROM's shown. (If
> there are any more than two, make a note and report back - but continue)
>
> Re-boot and let WinMe re-detect (enumerate) your CD-ROM's and re-install
> their drivers. (N.B. - These drivers should not affect your CD-RW
software)

> At worst, you will be back in the same state that you are at now. At best
> you * may* have fixed it!
>
> Good luck
>
> Mart
>

> "Ginger" <another@day.com> wrote in message
> >I am having an issue with my CD drives not showing up in Windows Explorer
> >on
> > my initial boot up. I have an AMD Duron 1000 running Windows ME. When
> > initially boot up the machine in the morning the two CD drives (actually
> > DVD player drive and a CD-RW drive) do not show up in Explorer). In the
> > Device Manager I get a yellow exclamation point next to the Secondary
IDE
> > Controller in my Hard Disk Controllers. However when I reboot the
machine
> > all is well. The CD drives are present and the Device Manager has no
> > errors. Does anyone know how to fix this annoying issue? I would
> > appreciate any help.

Related resources
February 3, 2005 9:27:47 PM

Thank you both for your suggestions. I tried the first one. I booted up in
safe mode and then found that I had three cd devices showing in the Device
Manager. I deleted all of them and then booted up again. I had to wait
until the next morning (today) to discover that I am still not showing the
CD devices in Explorer after that first cold boot. I also tried the second
suggestion but got error messages preventing me from doing it. When I tried
to delete the Secondary IDE Controller which had the yellow exclamation
point I got the message that

"This device is part of a multi-function device and cannot be removed
independently.

To remove the device, select and remove the multi-function parent. This
will also remove any other devices that are part of this multi-function
device".

When I tried to remove the parent (Hard Disk Controllers) I got this
message:

"You selected a device category. Device categories cannot be removed.
Click the plus sign next to the device category, and then click the device
you want to remove."

So I was in a loop trying to do that.

I welcome additional steps to be taken.

Thanks...

> Here is the clue: " ... I get a yellow exclamation point next to the
> Secondary IDE Controller in my Hard Disk Controllers. "
>
> The secondary IDE controller has a driver problem, obscurring the CD drive
> detection.
> Reboot to Safe Mode and remove the IDE controller. Reboot to Normal Mode
> letting Windows restore the IDE drivers. this may require a second reboot
> to enable the secondary controller.
>
> When all seems well, reexamine Device Manager for the IDE controllers and
> the CD/DVD devices.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Your PC - or more specifically, WinMe - appears to be having
difficulties
> > enumerating your CD's at boot-up. Can't "guarantee" this will "cure"
the
> > problem, but it's a first start in the troubleshooting chain.
> >
> > Instead of letting the PC boot into Normal Mode, 'when (You) initially
> boot
> > up the machine in the morning', boot it into Safe Mode (Ctrl or F8 key
at
> > boot-up) and look in Device Manager and Delete ALL/ANY CD-ROM's shown.
(If
> > there are any more than two, make a note and report back - but continue)
> >
> > Re-boot and let WinMe re-detect (enumerate) your CD-ROM's and re-install
> > their drivers. (N.B. - These drivers should not affect your CD-RW
> software)
> >
> > At worst, you will be back in the same state that you are at now. At
best
> > you * may* have fixed it!
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> > Mart
> >

> > "Ginger" <another@day.com> wrote in message
> > >I am having an issue with my CD drives not showing up in Windows
Explorer
> > >on
> > > my initial boot up. I have an AMD Duron 1000 running Windows ME.
When
> > > initially boot up the machine in the morning the two CD drives
(actually
> > > DVD player drive and a CD-RW drive) do not show up in Explorer). In
the
> > > Device Manager I get a yellow exclamation point next to the Secondary
> IDE
> > > Controller in my Hard Disk Controllers. However when I reboot the
> machine
> > > all is well. The CD drives are present and the Device Manager has no
> > > errors. Does anyone know how to fix this annoying issue? I would
> > > appreciate any help.

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:23:49 AM

Thanks for trying both methods (I must admit that Jack's suggestion would
probably have been my 'second link in the troubleshooting chain' - it's a
toss-up, which 'link' you use first.) However, it's interesting that you did
see 3 CD devices in DevMan in Safe Mode.

Therefore, assuming that the CD-ROMs are connected as Master and Slave on
the same (secondary) controller, my next suggestion would be to disconnect
the slave and see if the master is detected normally on first boot.

Try that for a day or two and if OK, swap the link on the slave to make it a
master and substitute it, again for a day or two. See if you can determine
whether one or other CD-ROM is not being detected properly, or if it only
happens when both are connected etc.

BTW - You might find that an hour or two is sufficient 'power-down' time.

If no luck, you may have to attempt Jack's suggestion again. However, there
are other possible options e.g. confirming their presence in Real Mode DOS
from cold.

The dilemma is :- 'faulty' CD-ROM(s) or Secondary Controller or WinMe?
Could be a tedious process of elimination.

> [...]
>> > enumerating your CD's at boot-up. Can't "guarantee" this will "cure"
> the
>> > problem, but it's a first start in the troubleshooting chain.
>> >
>> > Instead of letting the PC boot into Normal Mode, 'when (You) initially
>> boot
>> > up the machine in the morning', boot it into Safe Mode (Ctrl or F8 key
> at
>> > boot-up) and look in Device Manager and Delete ALL/ANY CD-ROM's shown.
> (If
>> > there are any more than two, make a note and report back - but
>> > continue)
>> >
>> > Re-boot and let WinMe re-detect (enumerate) your CD-ROM's and
>> > re-install
>> > their drivers. (N.B. - These drivers should not affect your CD-RW
>> software)
>> >
>> > At worst, you will be back in the same state that you are at now. At

February 5, 2005 12:05:35 AM

Since writing back it has been booting up with the cd drives present. I
will keep an eye on it and try some of these other suggestions if it starts
happening again. I am fairly certain that it will happen again. I'll keep
in touch.

> [...]
> >
> > Thanks...
> >

> > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> >> Here is the clue: " ... I get a yellow exclamation point next to the
> >> Secondary IDE Controller in my Hard Disk Controllers. "
> >>
> >> The secondary IDE controller has a driver problem, obscurring the CD
> >> drive
> >> detection.
> >> Reboot to Safe Mode and remove the IDE controller. Reboot to Normal
Mode
> >> letting Windows restore the IDE drivers. this may require a second
> >> reboot
> >> to enable the secondary controller.
> >>
> >> When all seems well, reexamine Device Manager for the IDE controllers
and
> >> the CD/DVD devices.
> >> --
> >> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:13:41 AM

OK Ginger, - If possible, try to stick with this thread when you come back -
I'll keep "watching" so it should be easier to pick-up from where we've left
off.

> Since writing back it has been booting up with the cd drives present. I
> will keep an eye on it and try some of these other suggestions if it
> starts
> happening again. I am fairly certain that it will happen again. I'll
> keep
> in touch.

<snipped>
February 6, 2005 12:08:30 PM

i am having the same problem as ginger. i have tried all the steps mentioned
to no avail.is there anyway to reboot from a startup cd? any help would be
deeply appreciated.thanks!!
> OK Ginger, - If possible, try to stick with this thread when you come
back -
> I'll keep "watching" so it should be easier to pick-up from where we've
left
> off.
>
> Mart
>

> "Ginger" <another@day.com> wrote in message
> > Since writing back it has been booting up with the cd drives present. I
> > will keep an eye on it and try some of these other suggestions if it
> > starts
> > happening again. I am fairly certain that it will happen again. I'll
> > keep
> > in touch.
> >
> <snipped>

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 8:40:49 PM

You say that you've followed the previous steps, do you see CD-ROM device(s)
in Windows Explorer and do you see in both Device Manager (in Safe Mode) and
what do you see in Device Manager (in Safe Mode).

If the meantime, you *may* have a faulty CD-ROM(s). You will probably need a
WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk to proceed further.

Mart

"carl" <yag625@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>i am having the same problem as ginger. i have tried all the steps
>mentioned
> to no avail.is there anyway to reboot from a startup cd? any help would be
> deeply appreciated.thanks!!
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> OK Ginger, - If possible, try to stick with this thread when you come
> back -
>> I'll keep "watching" so it should be easier to pick-up from where we've
> left
>> off.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Ginger" <another@day.com> wrote in message
>> > Since writing back it has been booting up with the cd drives present.
>> > will keep an eye on it and try some of these other suggestions if it
>> > starts
>> > happening again. I am fairly certain that it will happen again. I'll
>> > keep
>> > in touch.
>> >
>> <snipped>

February 9, 2005 1:29:17 AM

I have had the problem again. It appears to be an intermittent problem. I
have also tried only booting up with on cd drive and have reversed the
drives on the cable so that the one that was secondary slave became
secondary master and the one that was secondary master became secondary
slave. Still occasionally on the cold boot it comes up with no cd's in
explorer. Any other ideas? Would I have the same problem in Windows 2000
or XP?

Thanks again.

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> OK Ginger, - If possible, try to stick with this thread when you come
back -
> I'll keep "watching" so it should be easier to pick-up from where we've
left
> off.
>
> Mart
>

> "Ginger" <another@day.com> wrote in message
> > Since writing back it has been booting up with the cd drives present. I
> > will keep an eye on it and try some of these other suggestions if it
> > starts
> > happening again. I am fairly certain that it will happen again. I'll
> > keep
> > in touch.
> >
> <snipped>

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:35:50 AM

Ginger wrote:
> I have had the problem again. It appears to be an intermittent problem. I
> have also tried only booting up with on cd drive

> and have reversed the
> drives on the cable so that the one that was secondary slave became
> secondary master and the one that was secondary master became secondary
> slave.

ummm... I think you have the right idea but that's not the way to
accomplish it. Master/Slave is determined by dip-switch or jumper
settings on the devices not by device position on the cable. You have
to change the jumpers from Slave to Master on one device and from Master
to Slave on the other.

(NOTE: if you have a 'Y' cable with both devices set to CS, then what
you've done is correct and I've just wasted a paragraph worth of typing)

From the looks of things one of your optical drives is a bit wonky.

a) ensure that one device's jumper is set to Master and the other Slave
('Y' cable notwithstanding) [1]

b) The switching M/S S/M is a very good idea.

c) When you change the jumpers, remember to go into the BIOS and choose
"Reset ECSD" (or something like that) before booting

d) check your optical drives' manufacturers' websites for firmware updates.

Rick

[1] I'd probably put the DVD as Slave on the same chain as the HD, but
that's just me and you should really try to pinpoint the cause first.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:17:47 PM

Ginger, notwithstanding Ricks reply (which you do need to check, to confirm
that you have connected them properly), I am a little worried that it
happens with both devices, *even when only one is connected at a time*.

If this really is the case, then it's either s*d's law that you have two
'iffy' CD-ROM's, or more worrying perhaps, an 'iffy' motherboard (IDE
controller). I don't believe the problem is with WinMe, but rather, is a
hardware issue.

Will you please confirm that it also happens *even when only one CD-ROM is
connected at a time*.

> Would I have the same problem in Windows 2000 or XP?

Probably so, if it is a hardware issue.

BTW - how old are your CD-ROM's? 3+ years?
Mmm.. - thinking 8^¬

Mart

news:o Kq5ZDmDFHA.148@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Ginger wrote:
>> I have had the problem again. It appears to be an intermittent problem.
>> have also tried only booting up with on cd drive
>

>> and have reversed the
>> drives on the cable so that the one that was secondary slave became
>> secondary master and the one that was secondary master became secondary
>> slave.
>
> ummm... I think you have the right idea but that's not the way to
> accomplish it. Master/Slave is determined by dip-switch or jumper
> settings on the devices not by device position on the cable. You have to
> change the jumpers from Slave to Master on one device and from Master to
> Slave on the other.
>
> (NOTE: if you have a 'Y' cable with both devices set to CS, then what
> you've done is correct and I've just wasted a paragraph worth of typing)
>
> From the looks of things one of your optical drives is a bit wonky.
>
> a) ensure that one device's jumper is set to Master and the other Slave
> ('Y' cable notwithstanding) [1]
>
> b) The switching M/S S/M is a very good idea.
>
> c) When you change the jumpers, remember to go into the BIOS and choose
> "Reset ECSD" (or something like that) before booting
>
> d) check your optical drives' manufacturers' websites for firmware
> updates.
>

> Rick
>
> [1] I'd probably put the DVD as Slave on the same chain as the HD, but
> that's just me and you should really try to pinpoint the cause first.
February 9, 2005 1:17:48 PM

When I reversed the drives from master to slave and slave to master I did so
with the jumpers. I just didn't spell it out clearly I guess. My drives
are both less than 2 years old and haven't been used a tremendous amount so
I doubt the issue is with the drives.

How do I determine if it is a motherboard issue and what can I do about it
short of replace the motherboard which otherwise appears to be fine?

One other thing I did notice is that when I do boot up with no CD's showing
in Explorer, it does seem to take longer to boot up than it will when the
drives show up. How does that information add to the mix?

Thanks again for all the help.

> Ginger, notwithstanding Ricks reply (which you do need to check, to
confirm
> that you have connected them properly), I am a little worried that it
> happens with both devices, *even when only one is connected at a time*.
>
> If this really is the case, then it's either s*d's law that you have two
> 'iffy' CD-ROM's, or more worrying perhaps, an 'iffy' motherboard (IDE
> controller). I don't believe the problem is with WinMe, but rather, is a
> hardware issue.
>
> Will you please confirm that it also happens *even when only one CD-ROM is
> connected at a time*.
>
> > Would I have the same problem in Windows 2000 or XP?
>
> Probably so, if it is a hardware issue.
>
> BTW - how old are your CD-ROM's? 3+ years?
> Mmm.. - thinking 8^¬
>
> Mart
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o Kq5ZDmDFHA.148@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Ginger wrote:
> >> I have had the problem again. It appears to be an intermittent
problem.
> >> have also tried only booting up with on cd drive
> >

> >> and have reversed the
> >> drives on the cable so that the one that was secondary slave became
> >> secondary master and the one that was secondary master became secondary
> >> slave.
> >
> > ummm... I think you have the right idea but that's not the way to
> > accomplish it. Master/Slave is determined by dip-switch or jumper
> > settings on the devices not by device position on the cable. You have
> > change the jumpers from Slave to Master on one device and from Master to
> > Slave on the other.
> >
> > (NOTE: if you have a 'Y' cable with both devices set to CS, then what
> > you've done is correct and I've just wasted a paragraph worth of typing)
> >
> > From the looks of things one of your optical drives is a bit wonky.
> >
> > a) ensure that one device's jumper is set to Master and the other Slave
> > ('Y' cable notwithstanding) [1]
> >
> > b) The switching M/S S/M is a very good idea.
> >
> > c) When you change the jumpers, remember to go into the BIOS and choose
> > "Reset ECSD" (or something like that) before booting
> >
> > d) check your optical drives' manufacturers' websites for firmware
> > updates.
> >

> > Rick
> >
> > [1] I'd probably put the DVD as Slave on the same chain as the HD, but
> > that's just me and you should really try to pinpoint the cause first.

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 3:51:19 PM

>> Will you please confirm that it also happens
>> *even when only one CD-ROM is
>> connected at a time*.

It could be that just one device is causing the problem and is 'masking' the
issue. Can you please confirm the above request.

> ... it does seem to take longer to boot up than
> it will when the drives show up. How does that
> information add to the mix?

Because WinMe is having trouble trying to 'enumerate' or identify the
device(s) during the (cold) boot period. The cause of which, being the focus
of our attention.

Your fault description is not an uncommon symptom of a failing CD-ROM - a
worn or dry motor bearing perhaps, which runs OK when warm. If so, we need
to try to identify which device it might be as it may also be preventing the
other from being correctly enumerated.

news:o gFHfmpDFHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>> > Slave on the other.
>> >
>> > (NOTE: if you have a 'Y' cable with both devices set to CS, then what
>> > you've done is correct and I've just wasted a paragraph worth of
>> > typing)
>> >
>> > From the looks of things one of your optical drives is a bit wonky.
>> >
>> > a) ensure that one device's jumper is set to Master and the other Slave
>> > ('Y' cable notwithstanding) [1]
>> >
>> > b) The switching M/S S/M is a very good idea.
>> >
>> > c) When you change the jumpers, remember to go into the BIOS and choose
>> > "Reset ECSD" (or something like that) before booting
>> >
>> > d) check your optical drives' manufacturers' websites for firmware
>> > updates.
>> >

>> > Rick
>> >
>> > [1] I'd probably put the DVD as Slave on the same chain as the HD, but
>> > that's just me and you should really try to pinpoint the cause first.

February 9, 2005 3:51:20 PM

It is possible that due to old age, etc., the drive/s is not coming up to
adequate speed, particularly on the first or second boot of the day, before
Windows finishes its interrogation during PNP detection, and WinME is
dropping the drive/s intermittently.

The cheap solution is to reboot until detection is accomplished.
The more expensive is to replace with modern devices, which might be more
preferable now in order to obtain a DVD-RW drive, single or dual layer, as
needed. Costs are ca. $60 - $100, for single to dual layer devices, at many
retail outlets. The Memorex and Sony devices are currently highly rated
dual layer drives, along with the more expensive Plextor, as is usual. I
suspect single layer drives will become dirt-cheap in just a few months.

> [...]
> >
> > Thanks again for all the help.
> >
> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Ginger, notwithstanding Ricks reply (which you do need to check, to
> > confirm
> >> that you have connected them properly), I am a little worried that it
> >> happens with both devices, *even when only one is connected at a time*.
> >>
> >> If this really is the case, then it's either s*d's law that you have
two
> >> 'iffy' CD-ROM's, or more worrying perhaps, an 'iffy' motherboard (IDE
> >> controller). I don't believe the problem is with WinMe, but rather, is
> >> hardware issue.
> >>
> >> Will you please confirm that it also happens *even when only one CD-ROM
> >> is
> >> connected at a time*.

> >> Probably so, if it is a hardware issue.
> >>
> >> BTW - how old are your CD-ROM's? 3+ years?

February 9, 2005 10:20:46 PM

Yes it also happens intermittently when only one drive is connected. I also
stated previously that both drives are fairly new and haven't been used a
great deal so I doubt that the issue is "old drives". Maybe an old
motherboard.

Thanks.

> [...]
> >
> > Thanks again for all the help.
> >
> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Ginger, notwithstanding Ricks reply (which you do need to check, to
> > confirm
> >> that you have connected them properly), I am a little worried that it
> >> happens with both devices, *even when only one is connected at a time*.
> >>
> >> If this really is the case, then it's either s*d's law that you have
two
> >> 'iffy' CD-ROM's, or more worrying perhaps, an 'iffy' motherboard (IDE
> >> controller). I don't believe the problem is with WinMe, but rather, is
> >> hardware issue.
> >>
> >> Will you please confirm that it also happens *even when only one CD-ROM
> >> is
> >> connected at a time*.

> >> Probably so, if it is a hardware issue.
> >>
> >> BTW - how old are your CD-ROM's? 3+ years?

February 10, 2005 4:20:43 AM

> Yes it also happens intermittently when only one drive is connected.

Which one? Or either one?

> both drives are fairly new
> so I doubt that the issue is "old drives".

Mmm... Doesn't necessarily follow - sadly.

Just an idea - and I've never tried it myself and I'm not even sure if it
feasible - and so **you might be best to wait to see if someone flames me
before you try it**. It may also depend on whether your BIOS will let you do
it <g>

Transpose IDE #0 cable (Primary Controller) with IDE #1 (Secondary
Controller) and vice-versa. You may have to re-jig the BIOS setting to
accommodate the 'new' drive settings and also ensure that it recognises that
the C: drive (your Boot drive) has been transposed. That way - if it
works!! - it may point the problem to (or from?) the secondary IDE
controller.

In my own experience, I have never known an IDE controller to fail - but
someone out there may know differently <g>
Or even the PSU perhaps? Might be worth downloading Everest Home Edition
from http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en to see what your PSU
voltages are.

> ... Maybe an old motherboard. ?

Possible .. but.. someone out there may know differently <g>

Perhaps Jack's advice (especially the 'cheap solution') should be
considered. I still think it unlikely to be a WinMe issue.

Sadly, running out of suggestions - anyone out there??
Mmm.. - still thinking 8^¬

> Yes it also happens intermittently when only one drive is connected. I
> also
> stated previously that both drives are fairly new and haven't been used a
> great deal so I doubt that the issue is "old drives". Maybe an old
> motherboard.
>
> Thanks.
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> It could be that just one device is causing the problem and is 'masking'
> the
>> issue. Can you please confirm the above request.
>>
>> > ... it does seem to take longer to boot up than
>> > it will when the drives show up. How does that
>> > information add to the mix?
>>
>> Because WinMe is having trouble trying to 'enumerate' or identify the
>> device(s) during the (cold) boot period. The cause of which, being the
> focus
>> of our attention.
>>
>> Your fault description is not an uncommon symptom of a failing CD-ROM - a
>> worn or dry motor bearing perhaps, which runs OK when warm. If so, we
>> need
>> to try to identify which device it might be as it may also be preventing
> the
>> other from being correctly enumerated.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Ginger" <another@day.com> wrote in message
>> news:o gFHfmpDFHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > When I reversed the drives from master to slave and slave to master I
> did
>> > so
>> > with the jumpers. I just didn't spell it out clearly I guess. My
> drives
>> > are both less than 2 years old and haven't been used a tremendous
>> > amount
>> > so
>> > I doubt the issue is with the drives.
>> >
>> > How do I determine if it is a motherboard issue and what can I do about
> it
>> > short of replace the motherboard which otherwise appears to be fine?
>> >
>> > One other thing I did notice is that when I do boot up with no CD's
>> > showing
>> > in Explorer, it does seem to take longer to boot up than it will when
> the
>> > drives show up. How does that information add to the mix?
>> >
>> > Thanks again for all the help.
>> >
>> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > confirm

> two

>> > problem.

> have

> Slave

> choose

> but

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 11:10:14 PM

Mart
Just as an FYI....
IDE controllers DO fail! - mine on my GW G6 PII/400 did, and the only way I
got the system working properly again for a couple of years was to install
an Ultra-ATA PCI card.
The mobo has since dies completely - the AGP slot failed as well - and I
suspect that the problem is the hoary old capacitor screw-up. For me, it's
not worth repairing the mobo, and I have a couple of spare slightly lower
spec mobos to replace it with - which I'm determined to try and do this
weekend (be near the phone, will you? - I might need someone to scream
at!<g>)

Not a bad idea, though - I'd simply try disabling the IDE0 in BIOS, and
moving the HD's to IDE1 (or 1 and 2, depending on the BIOS setup<g>) - then
seeing what happens on boot. (via a Safe Mode boot and deletion of the IDE
controller drivers from DM)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

>> Yes it also happens intermittently when only one drive is connected.
>
> Which one? Or either one?
>
>> both drives are fairly new
>> so I doubt that the issue is "old drives".
>
> Mmm... Doesn't necessarily follow - sadly.
>
> Just an idea - and I've never tried it myself and I'm not even sure if it
> feasible - and so **you might be best to wait to see if someone flames me
> before you try it**. It may also depend on whether your BIOS will let you
> do it <g>
>
> Transpose IDE #0 cable (Primary Controller) with IDE #1 (Secondary
> Controller) and vice-versa. You may have to re-jig the BIOS setting to
> accommodate the 'new' drive settings and also ensure that it recognises
> that the C: drive (your Boot drive) has been transposed. That way - if it
> works!! - it may point the problem to (or from?) the secondary IDE
> controller.
>
> In my own experience, I have never known an IDE controller to fail - but
> someone out there may know differently <g>
> Or even the PSU perhaps? Might be worth downloading Everest Home Edition
> from http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en to see what your PSU
> voltages are.
>
>> ... Maybe an old motherboard. ?
>
> Possible .. but.. someone out there may know differently <g>
>
> Perhaps Jack's advice (especially the 'cheap solution') should be
> considered. I still think it unlikely to be a WinMe issue.
>
> Sadly, running out of suggestions - anyone out there??
> Mmm.. - still thinking 8^¬

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 11:54:55 PM

I'd better make sure I don't phone you this weekend then <vbg>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:

> weekend (be near the phone, will you? - I might need someone to scream
> at!<g>)

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 4:20:08 AM

Thanks for your reply Noel, good to know that you guys were following.

Well, I did suggest that "someone out there may know differently <g>" and
more importantly, you didn't totally flame my transpositioning suggestion
<bg>

It's certainly an 'interesting' one though. I just hope that Ginger is able
to resolve it and lets us know how he gets on.

Mart

news:o EytGy6DFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Mart
> Just as an FYI....
> IDE controllers DO fail! - mine on my GW G6 PII/400 did, and the only way
> I got the system working properly again for a couple of years was to
> install an Ultra-ATA PCI card.
> The mobo has since dies completely - the AGP slot failed as well - and I
> suspect that the problem is the hoary old capacitor screw-up. For me, it's
> not worth repairing the mobo, and I have a couple of spare slightly lower
> spec mobos to replace it with - which I'm determined to try and do this
> weekend (be near the phone, will you? - I might need someone to scream
> at!<g>)
>
> Not a bad idea, though - I'd simply try disabling the IDE0 in BIOS, and
> moving the HD's to IDE1 (or 1 and 2, depending on the BIOS setup<g>) -
> then seeing what happens on boot. (via a Safe Mode boot and deletion of
> the IDE controller drivers from DM)
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes it also happens intermittently when only one drive is connected.
>>
>> Which one? Or either one?
>>
>>> both drives are fairly new
>>> so I doubt that the issue is "old drives".
>>
>> Mmm... Doesn't necessarily follow - sadly.
>>
>> Just an idea - and I've never tried it myself and I'm not even sure if it
>> feasible - and so **you might be best to wait to see if someone flames me
>> before you try it**. It may also depend on whether your BIOS will let you
>> do it <g>
>>
>> Transpose IDE #0 cable (Primary Controller) with IDE #1 (Secondary
>> Controller) and vice-versa. You may have to re-jig the BIOS setting to
>> accommodate the 'new' drive settings and also ensure that it recognises
>> that the C: drive (your Boot drive) has been transposed. That way - if it
>> works!! - it may point the problem to (or from?) the secondary IDE
>> controller.
>>
>> In my own experience, I have never known an IDE controller to fail - but
>> someone out there may know differently <g>
>> Or even the PSU perhaps? Might be worth downloading Everest Home Edition
>> from http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en to see what your PSU
>> voltages are.
>>
>>> ... Maybe an old motherboard. ?
>>
>> Possible .. but.. someone out there may know differently <g>
>>
>> Perhaps Jack's advice (especially the 'cheap solution') should be
>> considered. I still think it unlikely to be a WinMe issue.
>>
>> Sadly, running out of suggestions - anyone out there??
>> Mmm.. - still thinking 8^¬

February 11, 2005 4:20:09 AM

I haven't resolved it yet but I did notice that when it boots up the first
time and doesn't list the cd drives in Explorer it does seem to hang a bit
while booting up while it doesn't hang like that when it is booting up cold
and it does list the cd drives in Explorer. Does that sound symptomatic of
anything?

Anyway I am also curious about whether I can buy a PCI card to connect the
drives to. Will that fix the problem?

news:o VtJUf9DFHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for your reply Noel, good to know that you guys were following.
>
> Well, I did suggest that "someone out there may know differently <g>" and
> more importantly, you didn't totally flame my transpositioning suggestion
> <bg>
>
> It's certainly an 'interesting' one though. I just hope that Ginger is
able
> to resolve it and lets us know how he gets on.
>
> Mart
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> news:o EytGy6DFHA.2700@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > Mart
> > Just as an FYI....
> > IDE controllers DO fail! - mine on my GW G6 PII/400 did, and the only
way
> > I got the system working properly again for a couple of years was to
> > install an Ultra-ATA PCI card.
> > The mobo has since dies completely - the AGP slot failed as well - and I
> > suspect that the problem is the hoary old capacitor screw-up. For me,
it's
> > not worth repairing the mobo, and I have a couple of spare slightly
lower
> > spec mobos to replace it with - which I'm determined to try and do this
> > weekend (be near the phone, will you? - I might need someone to scream
> > at!<g>)
> >
> > Not a bad idea, though - I'd simply try disabling the IDE0 in BIOS, and
> > moving the HD's to IDE1 (or 1 and 2, depending on the BIOS setup<g>) -
> > then seeing what happens on boot. (via a Safe Mode boot and deletion of
> > the IDE controller drivers from DM)
> >

> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Which one? Or either one?

> >> Mmm... Doesn't necessarily follow - sadly.
> >>
> >> Just an idea - and I've never tried it myself and I'm not even sure if
it
> >> feasible - and so **you might be best to wait to see if someone flames
me
> >> before you try it**. It may also depend on whether your BIOS will let
you
> >> do it <g>
> >>
> >> Transpose IDE #0 cable (Primary Controller) with IDE #1 (Secondary
> >> Controller) and vice-versa. You may have to re-jig the BIOS setting to
> >> accommodate the 'new' drive settings and also ensure that it recognises
> >> that the C: drive (your Boot drive) has been transposed. That way - if
it
> >> works!! - it may point the problem to (or from?) the secondary IDE
> >> controller.
> >>
> >> In my own experience, I have never known an IDE controller to fail -
but
> >> someone out there may know differently <g>
> >> Or even the PSU perhaps? Might be worth downloading Everest Home
Edition
> >> from http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en to see what your PSU
> >> voltages are.

> >> Possible .. but.. someone out there may know differently <g>
> >>
> >> Perhaps Jack's advice (especially the 'cheap solution') should be
> >> considered. I still think it unlikely to be a WinMe issue.
> >>
> >> Sadly, running out of suggestions - anyone out there??
> >> Mmm.. - still thinking 8^¬

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 4:20:10 AM

Ginger wrote:
> I haven't resolved it yet but I did notice that when it boots up the first
> time and doesn't list the cd drives in Explorer it does seem to hang a bit
> while booting up while it doesn't hang like that when it is booting up cold
> and it does list the cd drives in Explorer. Does that sound symptomatic of
> anything?

I like the "not enough time to enumerate" idea.

> Anyway I am also curious about whether I can buy a PCI card to connect the
> drives to. Will that fix the problem?

It's not a serious fault; something's just taking a little longer than
something else thinks it should.

Here's a list of stuff based on the "jiggle it til it works" theory in
no particular order...

a) reinstall MB BIOS and Optical drive BIOSes.

b) toggle MB BIOS "PnP OS?" setting

c) move one drive over to the other IDE cable.

d) turn any MB BIOS "quick start" options OFF.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:03:46 AM

Ginger, just a bit of 'lateral' to be going on with:-

Maybe.. Could be worth trying 'Boot Log Analyzer' to if that is able to pin
it down any further :-
http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/bootloganalyzer123.htm...

I suspect that it might not tell us anything we don't already know but has
to be worth a try.

>> Anyway I am also curious about whether I can
>> buy a PCI card to connect the drives to.
>>
>> Will that fix the problem?

Only if you have a faulty controller <g> and the cost may become a
determining factor. Substituting a new CD-ROM *might* be a cheaper
alternative - if only to prove your existing ones aren't the real cause.

Mart

> Ginger wrote:
>> I haven't resolved it yet but I did notice that when it boots up the
>> first
>> time and doesn't list the cd drives in Explorer it does seem to hang a
>> bit
>> while booting up while it doesn't hang like that when it is booting up
>> cold
>> and it does list the cd drives in Explorer. Does that sound symptomatic
>> of
>> anything?
>
> I like the "not enough time to enumerate" idea.
>

>> Anyway I am also curious about whether I can buy a PCI card to connect
>> the
>> drives to. Will that fix the problem?
>
> It's not a serious fault; something's just taking a little longer than
> something else thinks it should.
>
> Here's a list of stuff based on the "jiggle it til it works" theory in no
> particular order...
>
> a) reinstall MB BIOS and Optical drive BIOSes.
>
> b) toggle MB BIOS "PnP OS?" setting
>
> c) move one drive over to the other IDE cable.
>
> d) turn any MB BIOS "quick start" options OFF.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:33:03 PM

As Mart suggests, temporarily pulling a known-good working CD drive from
another machine to test in yours is easy and inexpensive.
And using "BLA" is a good idea.

!