Fan Controller vrs. BIOS readings

New at modding here so be kind

I`ve been looking at adding a Fan Controller to my Antec SX635 Case.
I only need to control (2) 80MM Antec Case Fans and 1 80MM Thermaltake Smart
Case Fan II that I use for cooling the Heatsink \ CPU.

I can`t seem to understand how, when connecting the CPU \ Heatsink fan to
*any* controller (and hence disconnecting from the Mainboard CPU header),
how the mainboard will still be able to get RPM readings to the BIOS, and
also any software monitoring such as Motherboard Monitor?

I know you can turn off the shutdown feature in the BIOS (because of the
lack of a connection on the MB CPU header) but does hooking up to a Fan
controller mean you automatically loose any software monitoring as well?

Matt

In article <u2ykd.27838$Qv5.8771@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, Mattrixx
says...
> New at modding here so be kind
>
> I`ve been looking at adding a Fan Controller to my Antec SX635 Case.
> I only need to control (2) 80MM Antec Case Fans and 1 80MM Thermaltake Smart
> Case Fan II that I use for cooling the Heatsink \ CPU.
>
> I can`t seem to understand how, when connecting the CPU \ Heatsink fan to
> *any* controller (and hence disconnecting from the Mainboard CPU header),
> how the mainboard will still be able to get RPM readings to the BIOS, and
> also any software monitoring such as Motherboard Monitor?

The Fanbus may have an RPM output which clips onto the motherboard CPU
fan header.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

gerry

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:06:50 GMT, "Mattrixx" <someone@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>New at modding here so be kind
>
>I`ve been looking at adding a Fan Controller to my Antec SX635 Case.
>I only need to control (2) 80MM Antec Case Fans and 1 80MM Thermaltake Smart
>Case Fan II that I use for cooling the Heatsink \ CPU.
>
>I can`t seem to understand how, when connecting the CPU \ Heatsink fan to
>*any* controller (and hence disconnecting from the Mainboard CPU header),
>how the mainboard will still be able to get RPM readings to the BIOS, and
>also any software monitoring such as Motherboard Monitor?
>
>I know you can turn off the shutdown feature in the BIOS (because of the
>lack of a connection on the MB CPU header) but does hooking up to a Fan
>controller mean you automatically loose any software monitoring as well?
>
>Matt

use something like this:

http://www.heatsinkstore.com/3pinto4pinad1.html

"gerry" <gerry_m@spam_this.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:06:50 GMT, "Mattrixx" <someone@nowhere.com>
> wrote:
>
>>New at modding here so be kind
>>
>>I`ve been looking at adding a Fan Controller to my Antec SX635 Case.
>>I only need to control (2) 80MM Antec Case Fans and 1 80MM Thermaltake
>>Smart
>>Case Fan II that I use for cooling the Heatsink \ CPU.
>>
>>I can`t seem to understand how, when connecting the CPU \ Heatsink fan to
>>*any* controller (and hence disconnecting from the Mainboard CPU header),
>>how the mainboard will still be able to get RPM readings to the BIOS, and
>>also any software monitoring such as Motherboard Monitor?
>>
>>I know you can turn off the shutdown feature in the BIOS (because of the
>>lack of a connection on the MB CPU header) but does hooking up to a Fan
>>controller mean you automatically loose any software monitoring as well?
>>
>>Matt
>>

> use something like this:
>
> http://www.heatsinkstore.com/3pinto4pinad1.html

The Problem Is.... Going from 3-pin fan connector to 3-pin connections on
the Fan Controller *and* the MB header!
I need some kind of 3-pin extension(s) with a split (dual) RPM connection.
One can go (as per normal) to the Fan controller, while the split could go
to the MB header, thus feeding both hardware *and* software.

Anyone know if such a 3-pin fan extension with an RPM splitter exists?
If not, I suppose I could make one. How does one get a 3-pin wire out of its
connector to add a second anyhow?

Matt

Mattrixx wrote:

> "gerry" <gerry_m@spam_this.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:06:50 GMT, "Mattrixx" <someone@nowhere.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>New at modding here so be kind
>>>
>>>I`ve been looking at adding a Fan Controller to my Antec SX635 Case.
>>>I only need to control (2) 80MM Antec Case Fans and 1 80MM Thermaltake
>>>Smart
>>>Case Fan II that I use for cooling the Heatsink \ CPU.
>>>
>>>I can`t seem to understand how, when connecting the CPU \ Heatsink fan to
>>>*any* controller (and hence disconnecting from the Mainboard CPU header),
>>>how the mainboard will still be able to get RPM readings to the BIOS, and
>>>also any software monitoring such as Motherboard Monitor?
>>>
>>>I know you can turn off the shutdown feature in the BIOS (because of the
>>>lack of a connection on the MB CPU header) but does hooking up to a Fan
>>>controller mean you automatically loose any software monitoring as well?
>>>
>>>Matt
>>>

>>use something like this:
>>
>>http://www.heatsinkstore.com/3pinto4pinad1.html
>

> The Problem Is.... Going from 3-pin fan connector to 3-pin connections on
> the Fan Controller *and* the MB header!
> I need some kind of 3-pin extension(s) with a split (dual) RPM connection.
> One can go (as per normal) to the Fan controller, while the split could go
> to the MB header, thus feeding both hardware *and* software.

Whether it could be connected to both would depend on how the controller
and motherboard circuitry are designed. If they both use a simple pull-up
it would probably work but you never know when some designer has gotten
'clever' for some reason.

If the controller is using a switched gound (most common) PWM to control
the fan speed then RPM monitoring won't work anyway as the on/off power
cycling turns the RPM monitor signal on/off too.

> Anyone know if such a 3-pin fan extension with an RPM splitter exists?
> If not, I suppose I could make one. How does one get a 3-pin wire out of its
> connector to add a second anyhow?

You depress the retaining pin in the hole on the side of the connector.