IE6SP1 Download Question

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 3, 2005 1:43:44 PM

Sometimes when I an on a web page click on a download link in Internet
Explorer, it automatically starts downloading to Temporary Internet
Files instead of giving me a choice where to save the file. This does
not happen when I right-click and choose Save Target As. I think it
must be a configuration setting, but not sure where.

Windows Me
IE6SP1
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:01:02 PM

Right-click on IE Icon on desktop, select Properties and on the General tab,
in the Temporary Internet files area, select Settings. On the Settings tab,
it will tell you the path to your 'current' designation. Select Move
Folder.. and navigate to new location of your choice.

Mart

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sometimes when I an on a web page click on a download link in Internet
> Explorer, it automatically starts downloading to Temporary Internet
> Files instead of giving me a choice where to save the file. This does
> not happen when I right-click and choose Save Target As. I think it
> must be a configuration setting, but not sure where.
>
> Windows Me
> IE6SP1

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 7:16:30 AM

How will that resolve the problem? IE will still download to the
folder (by itself) every time I click on a download link. I never had
this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE. When I clicked on
a download link, a dialog box used to come up asking me whether I want
to save the file or open it from its current location, and/or it would
ask me what folder to download the file to. It didn't just start
downloading by itself without giving me a choice. That's how I want it
set up again. How do I stop IE from just downloading by itself,
whether to Temporary Internet Files or another folder?

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Right-click on IE Icon on desktop, select Properties and on the
General tab,
> in the Temporary Internet files area, select Settings. On the
Settings tab,
> it will tell you the path to your 'current' designation. Select Move
> Folder.. and navigate to new location of your choice.
>
> Mart
>

> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Sometimes when I an on a web page click on a download link in
Internet
> > Explorer, it automatically starts downloading to Temporary
Internet
> > Files instead of giving me a choice where to save the file. This
does
> > not happen when I right-click and choose Save Target As. I think
it
> > must be a configuration setting, but not sure where.
> >
> > Windows Me
> > IE6SP1

February 4, 2005 5:26:38 PM

> .... I never had
> this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE.

Can't really help in that case.

In the meantime, I suppose you could try right-clicking on the link and see
if you get the option to save it elsewhere. But, that facility may now no
longer be available on your set-up

> How will that resolve the problem? IE will still download to the
> folder (by itself) every time I click on a download link. I never had
> this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE. When I clicked on
> a download link, a dialog box used to come up asking me whether I want
> to save the file or open it from its current location, and/or it would
> ask me what folder to download the file to. It didn't just start
> downloading by itself without giving me a choice. That's how I want it
> set up again. How do I stop IE from just downloading by itself,
> whether to Temporary Internet Files or another folder?
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Right-click on IE Icon on desktop, select Properties and on the
> General tab,
>> in the Temporary Internet files area, select Settings. On the
> Settings tab,
>> it will tell you the path to your 'current' designation. Select Move
>> Folder.. and navigate to new location of your choice.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Sometimes when I an on a web page click on a download link in
> Internet
>> > Explorer, it automatically starts downloading to Temporary
> Internet
>> > Files instead of giving me a choice where to save the file. This
> does
>> > not happen when I right-click and choose Save Target As. I think
> it
>> > must be a configuration setting, but not sure where.
>> >
>> > Windows Me
>> > IE6SP1

February 4, 2005 9:45:30 PM

Perhaps this is the solution, Mart:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#confirmopen

Shane

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o zHALWsCFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > .... I never had
> > this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE.
>
> Can't really help in that case.
>
> In the meantime, I suppose you could try right-clicking on the link and
see
> if you get the option to save it elsewhere. But, that facility may now no
> longer be available on your set-up
>
> Mart
>

> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > How will that resolve the problem? IE will still download to the
> > folder (by itself) every time I click on a download link. I never had
> > this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE. When I clicked on
> > a download link, a dialog box used to come up asking me whether I want
> > to save the file or open it from its current location, and/or it would
> > ask me what folder to download the file to. It didn't just start
> > downloading by itself without giving me a choice. That's how I want it
> > set up again. How do I stop IE from just downloading by itself,
> > whether to Temporary Internet Files or another folder?
> >
> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Right-click on IE Icon on desktop, select Properties and on the
> > General tab,
> >> in the Temporary Internet files area, select Settings. On the
> > Settings tab,
> >> it will tell you the path to your 'current' designation. Select Move
> >> Folder.. and navigate to new location of your choice.
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Internet
> > Internet
> > does
> > it

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:50:17 PM

Thanks Shane, perhaps you are correct. But I didn't interpret the question
that way. My understanding was that a link was just auto-downloading to the
'wrong' folder (destination) and FS merely wanted all links to auto-download
to a 'different' folder (destination).

But the use of IEradicator to remove IE, seems to me to have 'moved the
goalposts' somewhat.

If my understanding is correct, then my response to the original post is
certainly the way it seems to work here

Mart

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps this is the solution, Mart:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#confirmopen
>

> Shane
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:o zHALWsCFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> > .... I never had
>> > this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE.
>>
>> Can't really help in that case.
>>
>> In the meantime, I suppose you could try right-clicking on the link and
> see
>> if you get the option to save it elsewhere. But, that facility may now no
>> longer be available on your set-up
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > How will that resolve the problem? IE will still download to the
>> > folder (by itself) every time I click on a download link. I never had
>> > this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE. When I clicked on
>> > a download link, a dialog box used to come up asking me whether I want
>> > to save the file or open it from its current location, and/or it would
>> > ask me what folder to download the file to. It didn't just start
>> > downloading by itself without giving me a choice. That's how I want it
>> > set up again. How do I stop IE from just downloading by itself,
>> > whether to Temporary Internet Files or another folder?
>> >
>> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > General tab,
>> > Settings tab,

>> > Internet
>> > Internet
>> > does
>> > it

February 5, 2005 2:25:14 AM

> Thanks Shane, perhaps you are correct. But I didn't interpret the question
> that way. My understanding was that a link was just auto-downloading to
the
> 'wrong' folder (destination) and FS merely wanted all links to
auto-download
> to a 'different' folder (destination).

That's what I thought when I first read it, Mart. If so, though, it's a
simple registry edit,eg:

<snip>

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
"Download Directory"="C:\\My Documents"

</snip>

but FS should still be asked where to download to. The thing about
downloading to the TIF though is that's what happens when you select to Open
rather than to Save, during the download dialogue.

As for use of IEradicator, personally I only recommend it if followed by
re-installation of Windows (then all patches to rebuild the sfpdb database).

Shane

> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Perhaps this is the solution, Mart:
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#confirmopen
> >

> > Shane
> >

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > news:o zHALWsCFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >>
> >> Can't really help in that case.
> >>
> >> In the meantime, I suppose you could try right-clicking on the link and
> > see
> >> if you get the option to save it elsewhere. But, that facility may now
no
> >> longer be available on your set-up
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 4:38:58 AM

I would not disagree with your suggested registry key Shane, but that was
not what I interpreted the questioner to be asking for. Again, I go back to
the original post.

FS implied (to me) that there no longer 'appeared' to be any control as to
where 'auto-downloads' were saved and then stated "I think it must be a
configuration setting, but not sure where."

My reply was to that specific point - a configuration setting - using
'standard tools' rather than 'poking' into the registry. However if
IEradicator has prevented my response from 'correcting' the situation then I
am unable to help any further.

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Shane, perhaps you are correct. But I didn't interpret the
>> question
>> that way. My understanding was that a link was just auto-downloading to
> the
>> 'wrong' folder (destination) and FS merely wanted all links to
> auto-download
>> to a 'different' folder (destination).
>
> That's what I thought when I first read it, Mart. If so, though, it's a
> simple registry edit,eg:
>
> <snip>
>
> REGEDIT4
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
> "Download Directory"="C:\\My Documents"
>
> </snip>
>
> but FS should still be asked where to download to. The thing about
> downloading to the TIF though is that's what happens when you select to
> Open
> rather than to Save, during the download dialogue.
>
> As for use of IEradicator, personally I only recommend it if followed by
> re-installation of Windows (then all patches to rebuild the sfpdb
> database).
>

> Shane
>
>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Perhaps this is the solution, Mart:
>> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#confirmopen
>> >

>> > Shane
>> >

>> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > news:o zHALWsCFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

>> > see
> no

> on
> want
> would
> it

February 5, 2005 6:01:22 AM

Not sure what's going on here, Mart. Do you take my suggestion as criticism?

FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for interpretation.

Shane

> I would not disagree with your suggested registry key Shane, but that was
> not what I interpreted the questioner to be asking for. Again, I go back
> the original post.
>
> FS implied (to me) that there no longer 'appeared' to be any control as to
> where 'auto-downloads' were saved and then stated "I think it must be a
> configuration setting, but not sure where."
>
> My reply was to that specific point - a configuration setting - using
> 'standard tools' rather than 'poking' into the registry. However if
> IEradicator has prevented my response from 'correcting' the situation then
> am unable to help any further.
>
> Mart
>

> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks Shane, perhaps you are correct. But I didn't interpret the
> >> question
> >> that way. My understanding was that a link was just auto-downloading to
> > the
> >> 'wrong' folder (destination) and FS merely wanted all links to
> > auto-download
> >> to a 'different' folder (destination).
> >
> > That's what I thought when I first read it, Mart. If so, though, it's a
> > simple registry edit,eg:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > REGEDIT4
> >
> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
> > "Download Directory"="C:\\My Documents"
> >
> > </snip>
> >
> > but FS should still be asked where to download to. The thing about
> > downloading to the TIF though is that's what happens when you select to
> > Open
> > rather than to Save, during the download dialogue.
> >
> > As for use of IEradicator, personally I only recommend it if followed by
> > re-installation of Windows (then all patches to rebuild the sfpdb
> > database).
> >

> > Shane
> >
> >> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > no

> > on
> > want
> > would
> > it

This

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 1:07:29 PM

Shane wrote :-

> Not sure what's going on here, Mart. Do you take my suggestion as
> criticism?

Not at all Shane, far from it. All I am suggesting is that the practice of
altering registry settings usually comes with a health warning - for obvious
reasons <g> whereas my suggestion uses 'Standard Menus and Tools'. Thus
'poking' in the registry of a 'non standard' installation (as outlined
below) could potentially cause more issues than it might resolve.

> FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for interpretation.

Precisely Shane! - or at least, that's what I thought. Once FS announced
that "I never had this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE" then
that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the use of
IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE suddenly rang
alarm bells here.

FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! - opened the post
by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"

As soon as the mention of IEradicator and 'removal of IE' entered into the
equation, then I decided to pull out.

Perhaps I've totally misinterpreted the question.

> Not sure what's going on here, Mart. Do you take my suggestion as
> criticism?
>
> FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for interpretation.
>

> Shane
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I would not disagree with your suggested registry key Shane, but that was
>> not what I interpreted the questioner to be asking for. Again, I go back
>> the original post.
>>
>> FS implied (to me) that there no longer 'appeared' to be any control as
>> where 'auto-downloads' were saved and then stated "I think it must be a
>> configuration setting, but not sure where."
>>
>> My reply was to that specific point - a configuration setting - using
>> 'standard tools' rather than 'poking' into the registry. However if
>> IEradicator has prevented my response from 'correcting' the situation
>> then
>> am unable to help any further.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > the
>> > auto-download
>> >
>> > That's what I thought when I first read it, Mart. If so, though, it's a
>> > simple registry edit,eg:
>> >
>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > REGEDIT4
>> >
>> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
>> > "Download Directory"="C:\\My Documents"
>> >
>> > </snip>
>> >
>> > but FS should still be asked where to download to. The thing about
>> > downloading to the TIF though is that's what happens when you select to
>> > Open
>> > rather than to Save, during the download dialogue.
>> >
>> > As for use of IEradicator, personally I only recommend it if followed
>> > by
>> > re-installation of Windows (then all patches to rebuild the sfpdb
>> > database).
>> >

>> > Shane

> now
>> > no

> clicked
>> > on
>> > want
>> > would
> want
>> > it

> This
> think

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 9:41:02 PM

When I said "how will that resolve the problem" it was not meant in a
bad way. It was just a question. Mart misunderstood my initial post.
He thought I wanted to change the folder that IE autodownloaded to,
but I didn't want IE to be autodownloading at all. My second post
explained that better. Sorry for any confusion.

Mart and Shane gave me solutions that solved the problem.

1. Went into Folder Options and enabled "confirm open after download"
for a few file extensions.
2. Added the registry entry for "Download Directory"

There are no viruses on my computer, at least none that I can detect.
It is thoroughly scanned a couple times a week with eTrust EZAntivirus
2005 for Windows (current antivirus), which interfaces with my
firewall, ZoneAlarm Pro. Scans are done daily with Spybot, CWShredder,
X-Cleaner, and Ad-Aware. A2 (a squared), my antitrojan, is run a
couple times a week.

Online virus scans (Panda ActiveScan, TrendMicro HouseCall,
BitDefender, etc.) are also used from time to time. There is also a
DOS-based antivirus program I can run after booting with a startup
disk, but it takes a VERY long time, so I don't use it too often.

I'm looking for a better antivirus program than eTrust. I'm not
entirely sure it scans compressed files, and it doesn't have many
configuration options like I'm used to. I uninstalled it and tried
Avast! 4.5 Home Edition, but didn't like it. It had a few bugs that
caused my browser not to work sometimes. After it was uninstalled my
browser was as good as new again. There must have been some conflict.
Anyway, eTrust antivirus is back on here now. I'm going to look at
other antivirus alternatives in the coming weeks. We already know that
Norton is out. AVG might be an option. Some people have said they
don't like AVG. I'll never know unless I try it. Kaspersky is an
option, but it is expensive. NOD32 is also an option.

My computer runs great and is very stable. It has never been faster. I
haven't noticed any other problems. Noel did a very good job helping
me end the "version soup" to get Internet Explorer 6, Outlook Express
6, and all Windows Updates reinstalled. During that process, a few of
my other programs had to be uninstalled and reinstalled, mainly
programs that interfaced with Internet Explorer (Net Framework, Java
Runtime, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, IE-SPYAD, Google Toolbar,
BHODemon, BugOff, DHCP Fix, BigFix, FreshDownload). Everything is now
back on the computer and working great. Thanks to everyone in this
thread who helped me with the download problem. It is now solved.

ForestSpirit

> [...]
interpretation.

> > Shane
> >

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> I would not disagree with your suggested registry key Shane, but
that was
> >> not what I interpreted the questioner to be asking for. Again, I
go back
> >> the original post.
> >>
> >> FS implied (to me) that there no longer 'appeared' to be any
control as
> >> where 'auto-downloads' were saved and then stated "I think it
must be a
> >> configuration setting, but not sure where."
> >>
> >> My reply was to that specific point - a configuration setting -
using
> >> 'standard tools' rather than 'poking' into the registry. However
if
> >> IEradicator has prevented my response from 'correcting' the

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:59:14 AM

Mart/Shane
The IERadicator usage was at my suggestion - so you can blame me :)
FS had a bad case of version soup, and we eventually got IE6SP1 installed
and functional after using IER to remove the soup.

I suspect that FS has some other system problems that may come to light over
the next few weeks.

WRT this one, I think that Shane is probably right, and that it's merely a
case of an improper setting for the association of .zip and/or .exe files,
etc - possibly as a result of prior viral infections.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Shane wrote :-
>
>> Not sure what's going on here, Mart. Do you take my suggestion as
>> criticism?
>
> Not at all Shane, far from it. All I am suggesting is that the practice of
> altering registry settings usually comes with a health warning - for
> obvious reasons <g> whereas my suggestion uses 'Standard Menus and Tools'.
> Thus 'poking' in the registry of a 'non standard' installation (as
> outlined below) could potentially cause more issues than it might resolve.
>
>> FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for interpretation.
>
> Precisely Shane! - or at least, that's what I thought. Once FS announced
> that "I never had this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE"
> then that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the use
> of IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE suddenly
> rang alarm bells here.
>
> FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! - opened the
> post by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"
>
> As soon as the mention of IEradicator and 'removal of IE' entered into the
> equation, then I decided to pull out.
>
> Perhaps I've totally misinterpreted the question.
>
> Mart
>

> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Not sure what's going on here, Mart. Do you take my suggestion as
>> criticism?
>>
>> FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for interpretation.
>>

>> Shane
>>

>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I would not disagree with your suggested registry key Shane, but that
>>> was
>>> not what I interpreted the questioner to be asking for. Again, I go back
>>> the original post.
>>>
>>> FS implied (to me) that there no longer 'appeared' to be any control as
>>> where 'auto-downloads' were saved and then stated "I think it must be a
>>> configuration setting, but not sure where."
>>>
>>> My reply was to that specific point - a configuration setting - using
>>> 'standard tools' rather than 'poking' into the registry. However if
>>> IEradicator has prevented my response from 'correcting' the situation
>>> then
>>> am unable to help any further.
>>>
>>> Mart
>>>

>>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> now

>> clicked
>> want

>> This
>> think

February 6, 2005 4:48:58 AM

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Shane wrote :-
>
>> Not sure what's going on here, Mart. Do you take my suggestion as
>> criticism?
>
> Not at all Shane, far from it. All I am suggesting is that the practice of
> altering registry settings usually comes with a health warning - for
> obvious reasons <g> whereas my suggestion uses 'Standard Menus and Tools'.
> Thus 'poking' in the registry of a 'non standard' installation (as
> outlined below) could potentially cause more issues than it might resolve.

Well, OK Mart. Almost any change might be considered *altering registry
settings*, but unless I skimmed too much, the link I posted was for altering
file settings via Folder Options/File Types. Admittedly I frequently do skim
too much, largely, I think, because I didn't follow Noel's sig's advice when
it came to the CDO posters.

>> FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for interpretation.
>
> Precisely Shane! - or at least, that's what I thought. Once FS announced
> that "I never had this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE"
> then that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the use
> of IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE suddenly
> rang alarm bells here.

I don't have the details anymore, but I *did* have them for files and reg
entries IEradicator removes. We're talking hundreds - inc. for PCHealth/SFP.
The download directory registry will undoubtedly be removed, but I wouldn't
have expected default file action ones to be touched.

> FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! - opened the
> post by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"

Yes, that would probably have pissed me off enormously.

(I kinda wish Sunny had something to say about it. That'd be cool ! ;-) )

Hey, Mart, I know you're one of the good guys - as long as you don't support
Arsenal. And I know you don't support Utd because you're too near
Manchester!

Shane
February 6, 2005 5:01:01 AM

> Not at all Shane, far from it. All I am suggesting is that the practice of
> altering registry settings usually comes with a health warning - for
> obvious reasons <g> whereas my suggestion uses 'Standard Menus and Tools'.
> Thus 'poking' in the registry of a 'non standard' installation (as
> outlined below) could potentially cause more issues than it might resolve.

Well, OK Mart. Almost any change might be considered *altering registry
settings*, but unless I skimmed too much, the link I posted was for altering
file settings via Folder Options/File Types. Admittedly I frequently do skim
too much, largely, I think, because I didn't follow Noel's sig's advice when
it came to the CDO posters.

>> FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for interpretation.
>
> Precisely Shane! - or at least, that's what I thought. Once FS announced
> that "I never had this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE"
> then that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the use
> of IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE suddenly
> rang alarm bells here.

I don't have the details anymore, but I *did* have them for files and reg
entries IEradicator removes. We're talking hundreds - inc. for PCHealth/SFP.
The download directory registry entry will undoubtedly be removed, but I
wouldn't
have expected default file action ones to be touched.

> FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! - opened the
> post by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"

Yes, that would probably have pissed me off enormously.

Hey, Mart, I know you're one of the good guys - as long as you don't support
Arsenal. And I know you don't support Utd because you're too near
Manchester!

Shane
February 6, 2005 6:08:53 AM

Glad you've got it sorted out.

As for EZ-AV, some of the most expert contributors to these forums swear by
it. Then again, others swear by eset's NOD, though I don't reckon it much.
IMO Kaspersky AV is best. Besides being a damn good AV, it's better than
most if not all anti-trojan progs too! However, I use AVG free.

Shane

> [...]
> IE" then
>> that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the use
> of
>> IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE
> suddenly rang
>> alarm bells here.
>>
>> FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! - opened
> the post
>> by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"
>>
>> As soon as the mention of IEradicator and 'removal of IE' entered
> into the
>> equation, then I decided to pull out.
>>
>> Perhaps I've totally misinterpreted the question.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Not sure what's going on here, Mart. Do you take my suggestion as
>> > criticism?
>> >
>> > FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 12:08:39 PM

Ditto. ... And ditto for AVG

Mart

PS - PNE Shane.

> [...]
>> interpretation.
>>>
>>> Precisely Shane! - or at least, that's what I thought. Once FS
>> announced
>>> that "I never had this problem before I used IEradicator to remove
>> IE" then
>>> that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the use
>> of
>>> IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE
>> suddenly rang
>>> alarm bells here.
>>>
>>> FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! - opened
>> the post
>>> by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"
>>>
>>> As soon as the mention of IEradicator and 'removal of IE' entered
>> into the
>>> equation, then I decided to pull out.
>>>
>>> Perhaps I've totally misinterpreted the question.

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 5:56:05 PM

Thanks for letting me know Kaspersky may be the best. Unfortunately,
it doesn't want to work for me. I installed the trial version of
Kaspersky Antivirus Personal Edition. After it was installed, Windows
refused to come up at all in normal Windows mode. Diagnostic Startup
and Selective Startup troubleshooting with MSCONFIG revealed that
there was a conflict with IPVNmon.vxd, which is related to IPinsight.
I think my ISP uses it, and I probably don't need it loading anyway
because it is a form of spyware.

After disabling that VXD, Windows came up but it and Kaspersky did not
always respond. Kaspersky caused errors and either Windows would
freeze and be unresponsive or the browser would not work or gave
wininet.dll errors or Kaspersky would not load. Kaspersky only worked
properly in Safe Mode. After running one full system scan in Safe Mode
(luckily I had downloaded the most recent virus definitions before
installing the demo) to verify I had no viruses, I uninstalled it.

Kaspersky conflicts with something on my system. The moment it was
uninstalled, both Windows and my browser returned to normal. I
couldn't find anything about this problem in Kaspersky's knowledge
base. Perhaps I will try AVG or NOD next.

> [...]
> >>
> >> Precisely Shane! - or at least, that's what I thought. Once FS
> > announced
> >> that "I never had this problem before I used IEradicator to
remove
> > IE" then
> >> that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the
use
> > of
> >> IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE
> > suddenly rang
> >> alarm bells here.
> >>
> >> FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! -
opened
> > the post
> >> by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"
> >>
> >> As soon as the mention of IEradicator and 'removal of IE' entered
> > into the
> >> equation, then I decided to pull out.
> >>
> >> Perhaps I've totally misinterpreted the question.

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 9:47:23 PM

I am now using AVG 7.0.300 Free Edition. So far it is wonderful. It
took a bit of tweaking, reading the program's help, and visiting the
Grisoft web site to configure the email scanner for Outlook Express,
and to get the email scanner status to display "E-mail scanning is
fully functional". I'm not entirely sure everything is configured
correctly, but we'll see how the rest of the testing goes.

AVG Free has a nice interface, context menu access, and a scanning
engine that supposedly uses less of the CPU than other antiviruses.
The only drawbacks are (1) delays in getting updates and (2) ZoneAlarm
Pro can't detect it. ZoneAlarm didn't detect Kaspersky or Avast!
either, but it did detect both Norton AntiVirus and eTrust
EZAntivirus. AVG is the only antivirus program currently installed.

!