IE6SP1 Download Question

Sometimes when I an on a web page click on a download link in Internet
Explorer, it automatically starts downloading to Temporary Internet
Files instead of giving me a choice where to save the file. This does
not happen when I right-click and choose Save Target As. I think it
must be a configuration setting, but not sure where.

Windows Me
IE6SP1
17 answers Last reply
More about ie6sp1 download question

    Right-click on IE Icon on desktop, select Properties and on the General tab,
    in the Temporary Internet files area, select Settings. On the Settings tab,
    it will tell you the path to your 'current' designation. Select Move
    Folder.. and navigate to new location of your choice.

    Mart

    "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Sometimes when I an on a web page click on a download link in Internet
    > Explorer, it automatically starts downloading to Temporary Internet
    > Files instead of giving me a choice where to save the file. This does
    > not happen when I right-click and choose Save Target As. I think it
    > must be a configuration setting, but not sure where.
    >
    > Windows Me
    > IE6SP1

    How will that resolve the problem? IE will still download to the
    folder (by itself) every time I click on a download link. I never had
    this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE. When I clicked on
    a download link, a dialog box used to come up asking me whether I want
    to save the file or open it from its current location, and/or it would
    ask me what folder to download the file to. It didn't just start
    downloading by itself without giving me a choice. That's how I want it
    set up again. How do I stop IE from just downloading by itself,
    whether to Temporary Internet Files or another folder?

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Right-click on IE Icon on desktop, select Properties and on the
    General tab,
    > in the Temporary Internet files area, select Settings. On the
    Settings tab,
    > it will tell you the path to your 'current' designation. Select Move
    > Folder.. and navigate to new location of your choice.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Sometimes when I an on a web page click on a download link in
    Internet
    > > Explorer, it automatically starts downloading to Temporary
    Internet
    > > Files instead of giving me a choice where to save the file. This
    does
    > > not happen when I right-click and choose Save Target As. I think
    it
    > > must be a configuration setting, but not sure where.
    > >
    > > Windows Me
    > > IE6SP1

    > .... I never had
    > this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE.

    Can't really help in that case.

    In the meantime, I suppose you could try right-clicking on the link and see
    if you get the option to save it elsewhere. But, that facility may now no
    longer be available on your set-up

    > How will that resolve the problem? IE will still download to the
    > folder (by itself) every time I click on a download link. I never had
    > this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE. When I clicked on
    > a download link, a dialog box used to come up asking me whether I want
    > to save the file or open it from its current location, and/or it would
    > ask me what folder to download the file to. It didn't just start
    > downloading by itself without giving me a choice. That's how I want it
    > set up again. How do I stop IE from just downloading by itself,
    > whether to Temporary Internet Files or another folder?
    >
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Right-click on IE Icon on desktop, select Properties and on the
    > General tab,
    >> in the Temporary Internet files area, select Settings. On the
    > Settings tab,
    >> it will tell you the path to your 'current' designation. Select Move
    >> Folder.. and navigate to new location of your choice.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > Sometimes when I an on a web page click on a download link in
    > Internet
    >> > Explorer, it automatically starts downloading to Temporary
    > Internet
    >> > Files instead of giving me a choice where to save the file. This
    > does
    >> > not happen when I right-click and choose Save Target As. I think
    > it
    >> > must be a configuration setting, but not sure where.
    >> >
    >> > Windows Me
    >> > IE6SP1

    Perhaps this is the solution, Mart:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#confirmopen

    Shane

    > > .... I never had
    > > this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE.
    >
    > Can't really help in that case.
    >
    > In the meantime, I suppose you could try right-clicking on the link and
    see
    > if you get the option to save it elsewhere. But, that facility may now no
    > longer be available on your set-up
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > How will that resolve the problem? IE will still download to the
    > > folder (by itself) every time I click on a download link. I never had
    > > this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE. When I clicked on
    > > a download link, a dialog box used to come up asking me whether I want
    > > to save the file or open it from its current location, and/or it would
    > > ask me what folder to download the file to. It didn't just start
    > > downloading by itself without giving me a choice. That's how I want it
    > > set up again. How do I stop IE from just downloading by itself,
    > > whether to Temporary Internet Files or another folder?
    > >
    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Right-click on IE Icon on desktop, select Properties and on the
    > > General tab,
    > >> in the Temporary Internet files area, select Settings. On the
    > > Settings tab,
    > >> it will tell you the path to your 'current' designation. Select Move
    > >> Folder.. and navigate to new location of your choice.
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Internet
    > > Internet
    > > does
    > > it

    Thanks Shane, perhaps you are correct. But I didn't interpret the question
    that way. My understanding was that a link was just auto-downloading to the
    'wrong' folder (destination) and FS merely wanted all links to auto-download
    to a 'different' folder (destination).

    But the use of IEradicator to remove IE, seems to me to have 'moved the
    goalposts' somewhat.

    If my understanding is correct, then my response to the original post is
    certainly the way it seems to work here

    Mart

    > Thanks Shane, perhaps you are correct. But I didn't interpret the question
    > that way. My understanding was that a link was just auto-downloading to
    the
    > 'wrong' folder (destination) and FS merely wanted all links to
    auto-download
    > to a 'different' folder (destination).

    That's what I thought when I first read it, Mart. If so, though, it's a
    simple registry edit,eg:

    <snip>

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
    "Download Directory"="C:\\My Documents"

    </snip>

    but FS should still be asked where to download to. The thing about
    downloading to the TIF though is that's what happens when you select to Open
    rather than to Save, during the download dialogue.

    As for use of IEradicator, personally I only recommend it if followed by
    re-installation of Windows (then all patches to rebuild the sfpdb database).

    Shane

    > "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Perhaps this is the solution, Mart:
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#confirmopen
    > >

    > > Shane
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Can't really help in that case.
    > >>
    > >> In the meantime, I suppose you could try right-clicking on the link and
    > > see
    > >> if you get the option to save it elsewhere. But, that facility may now
    no
    > >> longer be available on your set-up
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    I would not disagree with your suggested registry key Shane, but that was
    not what I interpreted the questioner to be asking for. Again, I go back to
    the original post.

    FS implied (to me) that there no longer 'appeared' to be any control as to
    where 'auto-downloads' were saved and then stated "I think it must be a
    configuration setting, but not sure where."

    My reply was to that specific point - a configuration setting - using
    'standard tools' rather than 'poking' into the registry. However if
    IEradicator has prevented my response from 'correcting' the situation then I
    am unable to help any further.

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Shane, perhaps you are correct. But I didn't interpret the
    >> question
    >> that way. My understanding was that a link was just auto-downloading to
    > the
    >> 'wrong' folder (destination) and FS merely wanted all links to
    > auto-download
    >> to a 'different' folder (destination).
    >
    > That's what I thought when I first read it, Mart. If so, though, it's a
    > simple registry edit,eg:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > REGEDIT4
    >
    > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
    > "Download Directory"="C:\\My Documents"
    >
    > </snip>
    >
    > but FS should still be asked where to download to. The thing about
    > downloading to the TIF though is that's what happens when you select to
    > Open
    > rather than to Save, during the download dialogue.
    >
    > As for use of IEradicator, personally I only recommend it if followed by
    > re-installation of Windows (then all patches to rebuild the sfpdb
    > database).
    >

    > Shane
    >
    >> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Perhaps this is the solution, Mart:
    >> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#confirmopen
    >> >

    >> > Shane
    >> >

    >> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message

    >> > see
    > no

    > on
    > want
    > would
    > it

    Not sure what's going on here, Mart. Do you take my suggestion as criticism?

    FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for interpretation.

    Shane

    Shane wrote :-

    > Not sure what's going on here, Mart. Do you take my suggestion as
    > criticism?

    Not at all Shane, far from it. All I am suggesting is that the practice of
    altering registry settings usually comes with a health warning - for obvious
    reasons <g> whereas my suggestion uses 'Standard Menus and Tools'. Thus
    'poking' in the registry of a 'non standard' installation (as outlined
    below) could potentially cause more issues than it might resolve.

    > FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for interpretation.

    Precisely Shane! - or at least, that's what I thought. Once FS announced
    that "I never had this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE" then
    that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the use of
    IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE suddenly rang
    alarm bells here.

    FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! - opened the post
    by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"

    As soon as the mention of IEradicator and 'removal of IE' entered into the
    equation, then I decided to pull out.

    Perhaps I've totally misinterpreted the question.

    > Not sure what's going on here, Mart. Do you take my suggestion as
    > criticism?
    >
    > FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for interpretation.
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I would not disagree with your suggested registry key Shane, but that was
    >> not what I interpreted the questioner to be asking for. Again, I go back
    >> the original post.
    >>
    >> FS implied (to me) that there no longer 'appeared' to be any control as
    >> where 'auto-downloads' were saved and then stated "I think it must be a
    >> configuration setting, but not sure where."
    >>
    >> My reply was to that specific point - a configuration setting - using
    >> 'standard tools' rather than 'poking' into the registry. However if
    >> IEradicator has prevented my response from 'correcting' the situation
    >> then
    >> am unable to help any further.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > the
    >> > auto-download
    >> >
    >> > That's what I thought when I first read it, Mart. If so, though, it's a
    >> > simple registry edit,eg:
    >> >
    >> > <snip>
    >> >
    >> > REGEDIT4
    >> >
    >> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
    >> > "Download Directory"="C:\\My Documents"
    >> >
    >> > </snip>
    >> >
    >> > but FS should still be asked where to download to. The thing about
    >> > downloading to the TIF though is that's what happens when you select to
    >> > Open
    >> > rather than to Save, during the download dialogue.
    >> >
    >> > As for use of IEradicator, personally I only recommend it if followed
    >> > by
    >> > re-installation of Windows (then all patches to rebuild the sfpdb
    >> > database).
    >> >

    >> > Shane

    > now
    >> > no

    > clicked
    >> > on
    >> > want
    >> > would
    > want
    >> > it

    > This
    > think

    When I said "how will that resolve the problem" it was not meant in a
    bad way. It was just a question. Mart misunderstood my initial post.
    He thought I wanted to change the folder that IE autodownloaded to,
    but I didn't want IE to be autodownloading at all. My second post
    explained that better. Sorry for any confusion.

    Mart and Shane gave me solutions that solved the problem.

    1. Went into Folder Options and enabled "confirm open after download"
    for a few file extensions.
    2. Added the registry entry for "Download Directory"

    There are no viruses on my computer, at least none that I can detect.
    It is thoroughly scanned a couple times a week with eTrust EZAntivirus
    2005 for Windows (current antivirus), which interfaces with my
    firewall, ZoneAlarm Pro. Scans are done daily with Spybot, CWShredder,
    X-Cleaner, and Ad-Aware. A2 (a squared), my antitrojan, is run a
    couple times a week.

    Online virus scans (Panda ActiveScan, TrendMicro HouseCall,
    BitDefender, etc.) are also used from time to time. There is also a
    DOS-based antivirus program I can run after booting with a startup
    disk, but it takes a VERY long time, so I don't use it too often.

    I'm looking for a better antivirus program than eTrust. I'm not
    entirely sure it scans compressed files, and it doesn't have many
    configuration options like I'm used to. I uninstalled it and tried
    Avast! 4.5 Home Edition, but didn't like it. It had a few bugs that
    caused my browser not to work sometimes. After it was uninstalled my
    browser was as good as new again. There must have been some conflict.
    Anyway, eTrust antivirus is back on here now. I'm going to look at
    other antivirus alternatives in the coming weeks. We already know that
    Norton is out. AVG might be an option. Some people have said they
    don't like AVG. I'll never know unless I try it. Kaspersky is an
    option, but it is expensive. NOD32 is also an option.

    My computer runs great and is very stable. It has never been faster. I
    haven't noticed any other problems. Noel did a very good job helping
    me end the "version soup" to get Internet Explorer 6, Outlook Express
    6, and all Windows Updates reinstalled. During that process, a few of
    my other programs had to be uninstalled and reinstalled, mainly
    programs that interfaced with Internet Explorer (Net Framework, Java
    Runtime, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, IE-SPYAD, Google Toolbar,
    BHODemon, BugOff, DHCP Fix, BigFix, FreshDownload). Everything is now
    back on the computer and working great. Thanks to everyone in this
    thread who helped me with the download problem. It is now solved.

    ForestSpirit

> [...]
    interpretation.

    > > Shane
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> I would not disagree with your suggested registry key Shane, but
    that was
    > >> not what I interpreted the questioner to be asking for. Again, I
    go back
    > >> the original post.
    > >>
    > >> FS implied (to me) that there no longer 'appeared' to be any
    control as
    > >> where 'auto-downloads' were saved and then stated "I think it
    must be a
    > >> configuration setting, but not sure where."
    > >>
    > >> My reply was to that specific point - a configuration setting -
    using
    > >> 'standard tools' rather than 'poking' into the registry. However
    if
    > >> IEradicator has prevented my response from 'correcting' the

    Mart/Shane
    The IERadicator usage was at my suggestion - so you can blame me :)
    FS had a bad case of version soup, and we eventually got IE6SP1 installed
    and functional after using IER to remove the soup.

    I suspect that FS has some other system problems that may come to light over
    the next few weeks.

    WRT this one, I think that Shane is probably right, and that it's merely a
    case of an improper setting for the association of .zip and/or .exe files,
    etc - possibly as a result of prior viral infections.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> [...]
    >>> am unable to help any further.
    >>>
    >>> Mart
    >>>

    >>> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> now

    >> clicked
    >> want

    >> This
    >> think

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Shane wrote :-
    >
    >> Not sure what's going on here, Mart. Do you take my suggestion as
    >> criticism?
    >
    > Not at all Shane, far from it. All I am suggesting is that the practice of
    > altering registry settings usually comes with a health warning - for
    > obvious reasons <g> whereas my suggestion uses 'Standard Menus and Tools'.
    > Thus 'poking' in the registry of a 'non standard' installation (as
    > outlined below) could potentially cause more issues than it might resolve.

    Well, OK Mart. Almost any change might be considered *altering registry
    settings*, but unless I skimmed too much, the link I posted was for altering
    file settings via Folder Options/File Types. Admittedly I frequently do skim
    too much, largely, I think, because I didn't follow Noel's sig's advice when
    it came to the CDO posters.

    >> FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for interpretation.
    >
    > Precisely Shane! - or at least, that's what I thought. Once FS announced
    > that "I never had this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE"
    > then that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the use
    > of IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE suddenly
    > rang alarm bells here.

    I don't have the details anymore, but I *did* have them for files and reg
    entries IEradicator removes. We're talking hundreds - inc. for PCHealth/SFP.
    The download directory registry will undoubtedly be removed, but I wouldn't
    have expected default file action ones to be touched.

    > FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! - opened the
    > post by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"

    Yes, that would probably have pissed me off enormously.

    (I kinda wish Sunny had something to say about it. That'd be cool ! ;-) )

    Hey, Mart, I know you're one of the good guys - as long as you don't support
    Arsenal. And I know you don't support Utd because you're too near
    Manchester!

    Shane

    > Not at all Shane, far from it. All I am suggesting is that the practice of
    > altering registry settings usually comes with a health warning - for
    > obvious reasons <g> whereas my suggestion uses 'Standard Menus and Tools'.
    > Thus 'poking' in the registry of a 'non standard' installation (as
    > outlined below) could potentially cause more issues than it might resolve.

    Well, OK Mart. Almost any change might be considered *altering registry
    settings*, but unless I skimmed too much, the link I posted was for altering
    file settings via Folder Options/File Types. Admittedly I frequently do skim
    too much, largely, I think, because I didn't follow Noel's sig's advice when
    it came to the CDO posters.

    >> FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for interpretation.
    >
    > Precisely Shane! - or at least, that's what I thought. Once FS announced
    > that "I never had this problem before I used IEradicator to remove IE"
    > then that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the use
    > of IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE suddenly
    > rang alarm bells here.

    I don't have the details anymore, but I *did* have them for files and reg
    entries IEradicator removes. We're talking hundreds - inc. for PCHealth/SFP.
    The download directory registry entry will undoubtedly be removed, but I
    wouldn't
    have expected default file action ones to be touched.

    > FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! - opened the
    > post by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"

    Yes, that would probably have pissed me off enormously.

    Hey, Mart, I know you're one of the good guys - as long as you don't support
    Arsenal. And I know you don't support Utd because you're too near
    Manchester!

    Shane

    Glad you've got it sorted out.

    As for EZ-AV, some of the most expert contributors to these forums swear by
    it. Then again, others swear by eset's NOD, though I don't reckon it much.
    IMO Kaspersky AV is best. Besides being a damn good AV, it's better than
    most if not all anti-trojan progs too! However, I use AVG free.

    Shane

> [...]
    > IE" then
    >> that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the use
    > of
    >> IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE
    > suddenly rang
    >> alarm bells here.
    >>
    >> FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! - opened
    > the post
    >> by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"
    >>
    >> As soon as the mention of IEradicator and 'removal of IE' entered
    > into the
    >> equation, then I decided to pull out.
    >>
    >> Perhaps I've totally misinterpreted the question.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Not sure what's going on here, Mart. Do you take my suggestion as
    >> > criticism?
    >> >
    >> > FS's second post, anyhow, doesn't leave much room for

    Ditto. ... And ditto for AVG

    Mart

    PS - PNE Shane.

> [...]
    >> interpretation.
    >>>
    >>> Precisely Shane! - or at least, that's what I thought. Once FS
    >> announced
    >>> that "I never had this problem before I used IEradicator to remove
    >> IE" then
    >>> that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the use
    >> of
    >>> IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE
    >> suddenly rang
    >>> alarm bells here.
    >>>
    >>> FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! - opened
    >> the post
    >>> by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"
    >>>
    >>> As soon as the mention of IEradicator and 'removal of IE' entered
    >> into the
    >>> equation, then I decided to pull out.
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps I've totally misinterpreted the question.

    Thanks for letting me know Kaspersky may be the best. Unfortunately,
    it doesn't want to work for me. I installed the trial version of
    Kaspersky Antivirus Personal Edition. After it was installed, Windows
    refused to come up at all in normal Windows mode. Diagnostic Startup
    and Selective Startup troubleshooting with MSCONFIG revealed that
    there was a conflict with IPVNmon.vxd, which is related to IPinsight.
    I think my ISP uses it, and I probably don't need it loading anyway
    because it is a form of spyware.

    After disabling that VXD, Windows came up but it and Kaspersky did not
    always respond. Kaspersky caused errors and either Windows would
    freeze and be unresponsive or the browser would not work or gave
    wininet.dll errors or Kaspersky would not load. Kaspersky only worked
    properly in Safe Mode. After running one full system scan in Safe Mode
    (luckily I had downloaded the most recent virus definitions before
    installing the demo) to verify I had no viruses, I uninstalled it.

    Kaspersky conflicts with something on my system. The moment it was
    uninstalled, both Windows and my browser returned to normal. I
    couldn't find anything about this problem in Kaspersky's knowledge
    base. Perhaps I will try AVG or NOD next.

> [...]
    > >>
    > >> Precisely Shane! - or at least, that's what I thought. Once FS
    > > announced
    > >> that "I never had this problem before I used IEradicator to
    remove
    > > IE" then
    > >> that put a whole new complexion on things. I have no idea if the
    use
    > > of
    > >> IEradicator caused any 'damage' but the spectre of removing IE
    > > suddenly rang
    > >> alarm bells here.
    > >>
    > >> FS, who did not say whether my suggestion worked - or not! -
    opened
    > > the post
    > >> by asking "How will that resolve the problem?"
    > >>
    > >> As soon as the mention of IEradicator and 'removal of IE' entered
    > > into the
    > >> equation, then I decided to pull out.
    > >>
    > >> Perhaps I've totally misinterpreted the question.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I am now using AVG 7.0.300 Free Edition. So far it is wonderful. It
    took a bit of tweaking, reading the program's help, and visiting the
    Grisoft web site to configure the email scanner for Outlook Express,
    and to get the email scanner status to display "E-mail scanning is
    fully functional". I'm not entirely sure everything is configured
    correctly, but we'll see how the rest of the testing goes.

    AVG Free has a nice interface, context menu access, and a scanning
    engine that supposedly uses less of the CPU than other antiviruses.
    The only drawbacks are (1) delays in getting updates and (2) ZoneAlarm
    Pro can't detect it. ZoneAlarm didn't detect Kaspersky or Avast!
    either, but it did detect both Norton AntiVirus and eTrust
    EZAntivirus. AVG is the only antivirus program currently installed.

    "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Glad you've got it sorted out.
    >
    > As for EZ-AV, some of the most expert contributors to these forums
    swear by
    > it. Then again, others swear by eset's NOD, though I don't reckon it
    much.
    > IMO Kaspersky AV is best. Besides being a damn good AV, it's better
    than
    > most if not all anti-trojan progs too! However, I use AVG free.
    >

    > Shane

Download Microsoft Windows