Installing Administrator

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

How does one install "Administrator" in WindowsMe?
I need it to run a certain program. Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about installing administrator
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Win Me has no administrative mode. What is important though is that you
    have logged on and not just clicked cancel or escape if/when presented
    with a logon window when booting the PC.

    What exact problem are you experiencing? What application are you trying
    to install and what error message(s) do you see?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    Ernie <1racabli@maine.rr.com> wrote:

    > How does one install "Administrator" in WindowsMe?
    > I need it to run a certain program. Thanks
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I am attempting to run "Retrospect" and every time I try, it will not allow
    me to proceed because I do not have the "Administrator" privilege.

    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    news:usYJj6iCFHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Win Me has no administrative mode. What is important though is that you
    > have logged on and not just clicked cancel or escape if/when presented
    > with a logon window when booting the PC.
    >
    > What exact problem are you experiencing? What application are you trying
    > to install and what error message(s) do you see?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
    >
    > Ernie <1racabli@maine.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    > > How does one install "Administrator" in WindowsMe?
    > > I need it to run a certain program. Thanks
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Check that you are attempting to install a version suitable for use with
    Win Me or Win 9x systems none of which have administrative mode which is a
    feature of NT systems such as Win2K and XP. If you continue to have
    problems I would suggest contacting Dantz.

    However from reading Dantz's web site
    (http://www.dantz.com/en/products/win_personal/requirements.dtml) I see
    that as I suspected Retrospect can only be installed on NT type systems
    although Win 9x systems can be clients.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    Ernie <1racabli@maine.rr.com> wrote:

    > I am attempting to run "Retrospect" and every time I try, it will not
    > allow me to proceed because I do not have the "Administrator"
    > privilege.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Thanks for the info.

    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    news:eeJm$NlCFHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Check that you are attempting to install a version suitable for use with
    > Win Me or Win 9x systems none of which have administrative mode which is a
    > feature of NT systems such as Win2K and XP. If you continue to have
    > problems I would suggest contacting Dantz.
    >
    > However from reading Dantz's web site
    > (http://www.dantz.com/en/products/win_personal/requirements.dtml) I see
    > that as I suspected Retrospect can only be installed on NT type systems
    > although Win 9x systems can be clients.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
    >
    > Ernie <1racabli@maine.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I am attempting to run "Retrospect" and every time I try, it will not
    > > allow me to proceed because I do not have the "Administrator"
    > > privilege.
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike M wrote:

    > Win Me has no administrative mode. What is important though is that you
    > have logged on and not just clicked cancel or escape if/when presented
    > with a logon window when booting the PC.

    Why do you say that Mike, if there's no administrator mode anyway, why
    does it make any difference if you log on as a "user"?

    Seriously, I don't understand.

    --
    Regards from John Corliss
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    A failure to log on has nothing to do with whether Win Me has an
    administrative mode or not (it does not, nor do any Win 9x systems) but
    instead you only have limited privileges such as the inability to save
    passwords. If you feel you need to give this restriction a name then
    consider it as guest mode although that is just a label, the difference
    being that the user has not logged on - once logged on all users are
    equal.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    John Corliss <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote:

    > Why do you say that Mike, if there's no administrator mode anyway, why
    > does it make any difference if you log on as a "user"?
    >
    > Seriously, I don't understand.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I recognize that Administrator privileges (such as in NT and XP) don't exist
    in Win Me. However, I have several User profiles setup on my Me machine, each
    with an individual desktop appearance, start menu, icons and user settings.

    What is the most efficient way to make global changes to all users'
    profiles, as if I had Administrator rights? For example, I want to install
    new software, have it useable by all users (without reinstalling it for every
    person), and have it's icons visible in all profile Start Menus.

    Thanks,
    -Robert


    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Win Me has no administrative mode. What is important though is that you
    > have logged on and not just clicked cancel or escape if/when presented
    > with a logon window when booting the PC.
    >
    > What exact problem are you experiencing? What application are you trying
    > to install and what error message(s) do you see?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
    >
    > Ernie <1racabli@maine.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    > > How does one install "Administrator" in WindowsMe?
    > > I need it to run a certain program. Thanks
    >
    >
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Robert wrote:

    > I recognize that Administrator privileges (such as in NT and XP) don't exist
    > in Win Me. However, I have several User profiles setup on my Me machine, each
    > with an individual desktop appearance, start menu, icons and user settings.
    >
    > What is the most efficient way to make global changes to all users'
    > profiles, as if I had Administrator rights? For example, I want to install
    > new software, have it useable by all users (without reinstalling it for every
    > person), and have it's icons visible in all profile Start Menus.

    Simply move the shortcuts to this folder or one of its subfolders:

    C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Start Menu

    assuming you allowed a default installtion of Windows.

    --
    Regards from John Corliss
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    In addition, the smarter installation programs will ask if you desire only
    the current user, or all users, to be able to run the program being
    installed.
    Of course, you can't exactly count on this beforehand.
    ----
    Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm

    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "John Corliss" <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote in message
    news:uVO%23mUgLFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Robert wrote:
    >
    > > I recognize that Administrator privileges (such as in NT and XP) don't
    exist
    > > in Win Me. However, I have several User profiles setup on my Me machine,
    each
    > > with an individual desktop appearance, start menu, icons and user
    settings.
    > >
    > > What is the most efficient way to make global changes to all users'
    > > profiles, as if I had Administrator rights? For example, I want to
    install
    > > new software, have it useable by all users (without reinstalling it for
    every
    > > person), and have it's icons visible in all profile Start Menus.
    >
    > Simply move the shortcuts to this folder or one of its subfolders:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Start Menu
    >
    > assuming you allowed a default installtion of Windows.
    >
    > --
    > Regards from John Corliss
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    OK, but what about programs that don't ask if you're installing for multiple
    users? I have several programs that won't run unless I'm in the profile that
    originally installed them. If I attempt to run the programs by simply
    clicking on (or moving) their start menu icons while in the "wrong" profile,
    I get error messages usually indicating that certain .dll registry entries
    can't be found.

    -Robert


    "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

    > In addition, the smarter installation programs will ask if you desire only
    > the current user, or all users, to be able to run the program being
    > installed.
    > Of course, you can't exactly count on this beforehand.
    > ----
    > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "John Corliss" <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:uVO%23mUgLFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > > Robert wrote:
    > >
    > > > I recognize that Administrator privileges (such as in NT and XP) don't
    > exist
    > > > in Win Me. However, I have several User profiles setup on my Me machine,
    > each
    > > > with an individual desktop appearance, start menu, icons and user
    > settings.
    > > >
    > > > What is the most efficient way to make global changes to all users'
    > > > profiles, as if I had Administrator rights? For example, I want to
    > install
    > > > new software, have it useable by all users (without reinstalling it for
    > every
    > > > person), and have it's icons visible in all profile Start Menus.
    > >
    > > Simply move the shortcuts to this folder or one of its subfolders:
    > >
    > > C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Start Menu
    > >
    > > assuming you allowed a default installtion of Windows.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards from John Corliss
Ask a new question

Read More

Microsoft Windows