Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Installing Administrator

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 3, 2005 11:22:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

How does one install "Administrator" in WindowsMe?
I need it to run a certain program. Thanks
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:26:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Win Me has no administrative mode. What is important though is that you
have logged on and not just clicked cancel or escape if/when presented
with a logon window when booting the PC.

What exact problem are you experiencing? What application are you trying
to install and what error message(s) do you see?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Ernie <1racabli@maine.rr.com> wrote:

> How does one install "Administrator" in WindowsMe?
> I need it to run a certain program. Thanks
February 4, 2005 3:13:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I am attempting to run "Retrospect" and every time I try, it will not allow
me to proceed because I do not have the "Administrator" privilege.

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:usYJj6iCFHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Win Me has no administrative mode. What is important though is that you
> have logged on and not just clicked cancel or escape if/when presented
> with a logon window when booting the PC.
>
> What exact problem are you experiencing? What application are you trying
> to install and what error message(s) do you see?
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> Ernie <1racabli@maine.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > How does one install "Administrator" in WindowsMe?
> > I need it to run a certain program. Thanks
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:43:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Check that you are attempting to install a version suitable for use with
Win Me or Win 9x systems none of which have administrative mode which is a
feature of NT systems such as Win2K and XP. If you continue to have
problems I would suggest contacting Dantz.

However from reading Dantz's web site
(http://www.dantz.com/en/products/win_personal/requireme...) I see
that as I suspected Retrospect can only be installed on NT type systems
although Win 9x systems can be clients.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Ernie <1racabli@maine.rr.com> wrote:

> I am attempting to run "Retrospect" and every time I try, it will not
> allow me to proceed because I do not have the "Administrator"
> privilege.
February 4, 2005 6:01:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Thanks for the info.

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:eeJm$NlCFHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Check that you are attempting to install a version suitable for use with
> Win Me or Win 9x systems none of which have administrative mode which is a
> feature of NT systems such as Win2K and XP. If you continue to have
> problems I would suggest contacting Dantz.
>
> However from reading Dantz's web site
> (http://www.dantz.com/en/products/win_personal/requireme...) I see
> that as I suspected Retrospect can only be installed on NT type systems
> although Win 9x systems can be clients.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> Ernie <1racabli@maine.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > I am attempting to run "Retrospect" and every time I try, it will not
> > allow me to proceed because I do not have the "Administrator"
> > privilege.
>
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 9:21:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Mike M wrote:

> Win Me has no administrative mode. What is important though is that you
> have logged on and not just clicked cancel or escape if/when presented
> with a logon window when booting the PC.

Why do you say that Mike, if there's no administrator mode anyway, why
does it make any difference if you log on as a "user"?

Seriously, I don't understand.

--
Regards from John Corliss
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:48:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

A failure to log on has nothing to do with whether Win Me has an
administrative mode or not (it does not, nor do any Win 9x systems) but
instead you only have limited privileges such as the inability to save
passwords. If you feel you need to give this restriction a name then
consider it as guest mode although that is just a label, the difference
being that the user has not logged on - once logged on all users are
equal.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


John Corliss <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote:

> Why do you say that Mike, if there's no administrator mode anyway, why
> does it make any difference if you log on as a "user"?
>
> Seriously, I don't understand.
March 21, 2005 12:07:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I recognize that Administrator privileges (such as in NT and XP) don't exist
in Win Me. However, I have several User profiles setup on my Me machine, each
with an individual desktop appearance, start menu, icons and user settings.

What is the most efficient way to make global changes to all users'
profiles, as if I had Administrator rights? For example, I want to install
new software, have it useable by all users (without reinstalling it for every
person), and have it's icons visible in all profile Start Menus.

Thanks,
-Robert




"Mike M" wrote:

> Win Me has no administrative mode. What is important though is that you
> have logged on and not just clicked cancel or escape if/when presented
> with a logon window when booting the PC.
>
> What exact problem are you experiencing? What application are you trying
> to install and what error message(s) do you see?
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> Ernie <1racabli@maine.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > How does one install "Administrator" in WindowsMe?
> > I need it to run a certain program. Thanks
>
>
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:59:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Robert wrote:

> I recognize that Administrator privileges (such as in NT and XP) don't exist
> in Win Me. However, I have several User profiles setup on my Me machine, each
> with an individual desktop appearance, start menu, icons and user settings.
>
> What is the most efficient way to make global changes to all users'
> profiles, as if I had Administrator rights? For example, I want to install
> new software, have it useable by all users (without reinstalling it for every
> person), and have it's icons visible in all profile Start Menus.

Simply move the shortcuts to this folder or one of its subfolders:

C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Start Menu

assuming you allowed a default installtion of Windows.

--
Regards from John Corliss
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:55:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

In addition, the smarter installation programs will ask if you desire only
the current user, or all users, to be able to run the program being
installed.
Of course, you can't exactly count on this beforehand.
----
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"John Corliss" <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote in message
news:uVO%23mUgLFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Robert wrote:
>
> > I recognize that Administrator privileges (such as in NT and XP) don't
exist
> > in Win Me. However, I have several User profiles setup on my Me machine,
each
> > with an individual desktop appearance, start menu, icons and user
settings.
> >
> > What is the most efficient way to make global changes to all users'
> > profiles, as if I had Administrator rights? For example, I want to
install
> > new software, have it useable by all users (without reinstalling it for
every
> > person), and have it's icons visible in all profile Start Menus.
>
> Simply move the shortcuts to this folder or one of its subfolders:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Start Menu
>
> assuming you allowed a default installtion of Windows.
>
> --
> Regards from John Corliss
March 22, 2005 1:59:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

OK, but what about programs that don't ask if you're installing for multiple
users? I have several programs that won't run unless I'm in the profile that
originally installed them. If I attempt to run the programs by simply
clicking on (or moving) their start menu icons while in the "wrong" profile,
I get error messages usually indicating that certain .dll registry entries
can't be found.

-Robert




"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> In addition, the smarter installation programs will ask if you desire only
> the current user, or all users, to be able to run the program being
> installed.
> Of course, you can't exactly count on this beforehand.
> ----
> Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "John Corliss" <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote in message
> news:uVO%23mUgLFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Robert wrote:
> >
> > > I recognize that Administrator privileges (such as in NT and XP) don't
> exist
> > > in Win Me. However, I have several User profiles setup on my Me machine,
> each
> > > with an individual desktop appearance, start menu, icons and user
> settings.
> > >
> > > What is the most efficient way to make global changes to all users'
> > > profiles, as if I had Administrator rights? For example, I want to
> install
> > > new software, have it useable by all users (without reinstalling it for
> every
> > > person), and have it's icons visible in all profile Start Menus.
> >
> > Simply move the shortcuts to this folder or one of its subfolders:
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Start Menu
> >
> > assuming you allowed a default installtion of Windows.
> >
> > --
> > Regards from John Corliss
!