XP SP2.....

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 3, 2005 9:36:46 PM

Help!!

I am trying to get this computer organized to put XP on here and Mike
suggested that I should download SP2 before I do. I can't find it
anywhere......except as a Windows Update to XP.

In other words, it seems that I cannot download it unopened to burn it to a
CD unless I already have XP on here. Is this correct?

Still have a couple of things to do before putting XP on, but thought I
would ask.

And a segue here.......a friend has just bought a laptop with XP on it and
it has SP2......I was looking for the free EZ Armor download on the MS site
and came across a list of AV proggies that get screwed up by SP2....and EZ
Armor is one of them.

Any suggestions? AVG?? And I am pretty sure the firewall is enabled in
SP2.....but should I tell her to download ZA??

Questions.......and no time. I am running as fast as I can, grin!! I won't
even list the rest of mine.....heh heh.

One more.....should I bother with the last 2 critical updates to WinME? I
am using Firefox 99% of the time anyway.

Cheers......Heather

More about : sp2

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:45:08 AM

> I am trying to get this computer organized to put XP on here and Mike
> suggested that I should download SP2 before I do. I can't find it
> anywhere......except as a Windows Update to XP.
>
> In other words, it seems that I cannot download it unopened to burn
> it to a CD unless I already have XP on here. Is this correct?

No. You can download SP2 from the Microsoft Download Centre "Windows XP
Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and
Developers"
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...).
Don't be put off by the title, this is the full pack (272MB), that makes
no assumptions as to what might already be installed.

Sorry about not having done so before but look out for your local postie
in the next few days.
--
Mike

Heather <figgs@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Help!!
>
> I am trying to get this computer organized to put XP on here and Mike
> suggested that I should download SP2 before I do. I can't find it
> anywhere......except as a Windows Update to XP.
>
> In other words, it seems that I cannot download it unopened to burn
> it to a CD unless I already have XP on here. Is this correct?
>
> Still have a couple of things to do before putting XP on, but thought
> I would ask.
>
> And a segue here.......a friend has just bought a laptop with XP on
> it and it has SP2......I was looking for the free EZ Armor download
> on the MS site and came across a list of AV proggies that get screwed
> up by SP2....and EZ Armor is one of them.
>
> Any suggestions? AVG?? And I am pretty sure the firewall is enabled
> in SP2.....but should I tell her to download ZA??
>
> Questions.......and no time. I am running as fast as I can, grin!!
> I won't even list the rest of mine.....heh heh.
>
> One more.....should I bother with the last 2 critical updates to
> WinME? I am using Firefox 99% of the time anyway.
>
> Cheers......Heather
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:49:53 AM

EZ Armor has no problems with SP2. That is neither Zone Alarm nor eTrust
have any problems. Regardless of the browser you use you should still
install all critical patches due to the way that IE is integrated into the
OS.
--
Mike

Heather <figgs@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Help!!
>
> I am trying to get this computer organized to put XP on here and Mike
> suggested that I should download SP2 before I do. I can't find it
> anywhere......except as a Windows Update to XP.
>
> In other words, it seems that I cannot download it unopened to burn
> it to a CD unless I already have XP on here. Is this correct?
>
> Still have a couple of things to do before putting XP on, but thought
> I would ask.
>
> And a segue here.......a friend has just bought a laptop with XP on
> it and it has SP2......I was looking for the free EZ Armor download
> on the MS site and came across a list of AV proggies that get screwed
> up by SP2....and EZ Armor is one of them.
>
> Any suggestions? AVG?? And I am pretty sure the firewall is enabled
> in SP2.....but should I tell her to download ZA??
>
> Questions.......and no time. I am running as fast as I can, grin!!
> I won't even list the rest of mine.....heh heh.
>
> One more.....should I bother with the last 2 critical updates to
> WinME? I am using Firefox 99% of the time anyway.
>
> Cheers......Heather
Related resources
February 4, 2005 2:49:54 AM

Thanks, Mike.....that answers all my questions. I will put those last two
ones on here tonight. I noticed that the IE TIF would fill up with a lot of
the zero byte ones, so realized it was still interacting with something or
other. I use Firefox all the time now.

I may tell Ann to download AVG for herself perhaps.....she is visiting her
daughter in the US and put it on the dtr's computer. I thought she might
still get the freebie, but I couldn't find it on MS website. I believe it
ran out yesterday or some such.

Off for supper.....thanks so much Mike.

Heather

> EZ Armor has no problems with SP2. That is neither Zone Alarm nor eTrust
> have any problems. Regardless of the browser you use you should still
> install all critical patches due to the way that IE is integrated into the
> OS.
> --
> Mike
>

> Heather <figgs@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Help!!
> >
> > I am trying to get this computer organized to put XP on here and Mike
> > suggested that I should download SP2 before I do. I can't find it
> > anywhere......except as a Windows Update to XP.
> >
> > In other words, it seems that I cannot download it unopened to burn
> > it to a CD unless I already have XP on here. Is this correct?
> >
> > Still have a couple of things to do before putting XP on, but thought
> > I would ask.
> >
> > And a segue here.......a friend has just bought a laptop with XP on
> > it and it has SP2......I was looking for the free EZ Armor download
> > on the MS site and came across a list of AV proggies that get screwed
> > up by SP2....and EZ Armor is one of them.
> >
> > Any suggestions? AVG?? And I am pretty sure the firewall is enabled
> > in SP2.....but should I tell her to download ZA??
> >
> > Questions.......and no time. I am running as fast as I can, grin!!
> > I won't even list the rest of mine.....heh heh.
> >
> > One more.....should I bother with the last 2 critical updates to
> > WinME? I am using Firefox 99% of the time anyway.
> >
> > Cheers......Heather

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:49:55 AM

Have phun ~266MB !

--
Dave

"Heather" <figgs@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:o BCOa8kCFHA.2620@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| Thanks, Mike.....that answers all my questions. I will put those last two
| ones on here tonight. I noticed that the IE TIF would fill up with a lot of
| the zero byte ones, so realized it was still interacting with something or
| other. I use Firefox all the time now.
|
| I may tell Ann to download AVG for herself perhaps.....she is visiting her
| daughter in the US and put it on the dtr's computer. I thought she might
| still get the freebie, but I couldn't find it on MS website. I believe it
| ran out yesterday or some such.
|
| Off for supper.....thanks so much Mike.
|
| Heather
|
| "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
| > EZ Armor has no problems with SP2. That is neither Zone Alarm nor eTrust
| > have any problems. Regardless of the browser you use you should still
| > install all critical patches due to the way that IE is integrated into the
| > OS.
| > --
| > Mike
| >

| > Heather <figgs@nospam.invalid> wrote:
| >
| > > Help!!
| > >
| > > I am trying to get this computer organized to put XP on here and Mike
| > > suggested that I should download SP2 before I do. I can't find it
| > > anywhere......except as a Windows Update to XP.
| > >
| > > In other words, it seems that I cannot download it unopened to burn
| > > it to a CD unless I already have XP on here. Is this correct?
| > >
| > > Still have a couple of things to do before putting XP on, but thought
| > > I would ask.
| > >
| > > And a segue here.......a friend has just bought a laptop with XP on
| > > it and it has SP2......I was looking for the free EZ Armor download
| > > on the MS site and came across a list of AV proggies that get screwed
| > > up by SP2....and EZ Armor is one of them.
| > >
| > > Any suggestions? AVG?? And I am pretty sure the firewall is enabled
| > > in SP2.....but should I tell her to download ZA??
| > >
| > > Questions.......and no time. I am running as fast as I can, grin!!
| > > I won't even list the rest of mine.....heh heh.
| > >
| > > One more.....should I bother with the last 2 critical updates to
| > > WinME? I am using Firefox 99% of the time anyway.
| > >
| > > Cheers......Heather

February 4, 2005 2:49:55 AM

Hi, Heather,

The offer on EZAV is extended through 8/01/05. The latest version is
7.0.6.7. By the way, I'm using it on XP SP2 with no problems. Here's
the link:

http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=pyocanti...

Regards,
Tom

Heather wrote:
<snip>
> I thought she might still get the freebie, but I couldn't find it on MS website.
> I believe it ran out yesterday or some such.
<snip>
February 4, 2005 3:16:32 AM

Thanks, Tom. I stumbled over that by accident about an hour ago. It wasn't
listed under XP on the MS website, but was listed for ME. I forwarded it on
to Ann in the US and I told her it would work OK on her new laptop.

I forget (a common problem, grin).....do I uninstall and install the new
one? May wait till I get my ducks in a row here. You would swear it was
full moon.....crazy day!!

Darn near asked you a really dumb question....grin. Your date is Aug. 1st,
2005......but others would write it 01/08/05. I just can't remember which
format we use. In genealogy, it would be 01Aug2005.....a heck of a lot less
confusing.

Cheers....Heather

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Heather,
>
> The offer on EZAV is extended through 8/01/05. The latest version is
> 7.0.6.7. By the way, I'm using it on XP SP2 with no problems. Here's
> the link:

http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=pyocanti...

> Regards,
> Tom
>
> Heather wrote:
> <snip>
> > I thought she might still get the freebie, but I couldn't find it on MS
website.
> > I believe it ran out yesterday or some such.
> <snip>
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:37:16 AM

David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

> Have phun ~266MB !

Hence the postie. :-)
--
Mike
February 4, 2005 3:37:17 AM

> David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
> > Have phun ~266MB !
>
> Hence the postie. :-)

Followed by a *big hug*......(((((M)))))

Thanks......Heather
> --
> Mike

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:22:14 AM

I'm off to bed at this moment but have put a Microsoft SP2 CD (that's the
266MB job) in an addressed envelope whilst a somewhat larger (556MB)
download is currently about 40% down and will finish off whilst I sleep.
Will burn to CD in the morning and then drop them both in the post to you.
--
Mike

Heather <figgs@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Followed by a *big hug*......(((((M)))))
>
> Thanks......Heather
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:22:15 AM

You 'da man Mike !

--
Dave

news:o VN$9imCFHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| I'm off to bed at this moment but have put a Microsoft SP2 CD (that's the
| 266MB job) in an addressed envelope whilst a somewhat larger (556MB)
| download is currently about 40% down and will finish off whilst I sleep.
| Will burn to CD in the morning and then drop them both in the post to you.
| --
| Mike
February 4, 2005 6:22:15 AM

I can't thank you enough!! That is so wonderful of you to do this.....frees
me up to get the rest of the cleanout done.

XX Heather
news:o VN$9imCFHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I'm off to bed at this moment but have put a Microsoft SP2 CD (that's the
> 266MB job) in an addressed envelope whilst a somewhat larger (556MB)
> download is currently about 40% down and will finish off whilst I sleep.
> Will burn to CD in the morning and then drop them both in the post to you.
> --
> Mike
>

> Heather <figgs@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Followed by a *big hug*......(((((M)))))
> >
> > Thanks......Heather

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:48:26 AM

Dave,

I got sent a stack of about 20 SP2 CDs so its not really a problem. :-)
--
Mike

David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

> You 'da man Mike !
February 4, 2005 11:27:02 AM

You're welcome, Heather. You should be able to install over the current
installation. For some reason, I'm not able to do that on my Windows ME
box. It hiccups on me every time, and I uninstall and then reinstall.
It's not a problem on XP though.

I used the "Americanized" date format. ;)  01Aug2005 it is...and I agree
it's definitely less confusing. :)

Cheers,
Tom

!