Convert a Drive

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 4, 2005 2:27:28 AM

Can Fat16 be converted to FAT32 under WinME?
And if so, with Windows ME installed on it, is this done without formatting?
In the Instructions only Win98 and Win98SE are mentioned as being applied
to.
The DOS Command is: "cvt C:cvt", where C is the drive to be converted.
The other option is not available in WinME, since there is no drive
converter in the system tools.
How about it?

Harry.

More about : convert drive

February 4, 2005 2:27:29 AM

Harry,

This may be helpful:

http://www.md4pc.com/questions/36.htm

Tom

webster72n wrote:

> Can Fat16 be converted to FAT32 under WinME?
> And if so, with Windows ME installed on it, is this done without formatting?
> In the Instructions only Win98 and Win98SE are mentioned as being applied
> to.
> The DOS Command is: "cvt C:cvt", where C is the drive to be converted.
> The other option is not available in WinME, since there is no drive
> converter in the system tools.
> How about it?
>
> Harry.

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:33:11 PM

Tom:

You have been very helpful, thank you.
The concersion from FAT16 to FAT32 worked perfectly, but it didn't get me
back the missing 36 GB's or so, as I had hoped.
Do you know of a way to recover them?
I had inquired about that before and have PM8 ready to do it's job as soon
as I am ready, which I am not at the moment.
Maybe there is another way?

Harry.

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:o 3t08SnCFHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Harry,
>
> This may be helpful:
>
> http://www.md4pc.com/questions/36.htm
>
> Tom
>
> webster72n wrote:
>
> > Can Fat16 be converted to FAT32 under WinME?
> > And if so, with Windows ME installed on it, is this done without
formatting?
> > In the Instructions only Win98 and Win98SE are mentioned as being
applied
> > to.
> > The DOS Command is: "cvt C:cvt", where C is the drive to be converted.
> > The other option is not available in WinME, since there is no drive
> > converter in the system tools.
> > How about it?
> >
> > Harry.

February 4, 2005 2:41:07 PM

No offense Harry, but I think you are flogging a dead horse with that
lost disk space problem.

John

webster72n wrote:

> Tom:
>
> You have been very helpful, thank you.
> The concersion from FAT16 to FAT32 worked perfectly, but it didn't get me
> back the missing 36 GB's or so, as I had hoped.
> Do you know of a way to recover them?
> I had inquired about that before and have PM8 ready to do it's job as soon
> as I am ready, which I am not at the moment.
> Maybe there is another way?
>
> Harry.
>

> "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> news:o 3t08SnCFHA.4020@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
>>Harry,
>>
>>This may be helpful:
>>
>>http://www.md4pc.com/questions/36.htm
>>
>>Tom
>>
>>webster72n wrote:
>>

>>>Can Fat16 be converted to FAT32 under WinME?
>>>And if so, with Windows ME installed on it, is this done without
>
> formatting?
>
>>>In the Instructions only Win98 and Win98SE are mentioned as being
>
> applied
>
>>>to.
>>>The DOS Command is: "cvt C:cvt", where C is the drive to be converted.
>>>The other option is not available in WinME, since there is no drive
>>>converter in the system tools.
>>>How about it?
>>>
>>> Harry.

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:45:17 PM

Changing the filing system will never increase the size of a partition, to
do that you need to use tools such as fdisk, Partition Magic or BING but
then you knew that already didn't you. :-)
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> Tom:
>
> You have been very helpful, thank you.
> The concersion from FAT16 to FAT32 worked perfectly, but it didn't
> get me back the missing 36 GB's or so, as I had hoped.
> Do you know of a way to recover them?
> I had inquired about that before and have PM8 ready to do it's job as
> soon as I am ready, which I am not at the moment.
> Maybe there is another way?
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:45:18 PM

I am afraid so, Mike.
A soon as I am ready to tackle the thing with PM8
I will get back to this NG.
For now everything is operating seemingly ok. and I did gain some 400 MB's
back on the 2GB C drive by converting to FAT32. That was some progress
already.
Thanks Mike and everyone involved here.

Harry.

news:o 9SwHCtCFHA.3824@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Changing the filing system will never increase the size of a partition, to
> do that you need to use tools such as fdisk, Partition Magic or BING but
> then you knew that already didn't you. :-)
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > Tom:
> >
> > You have been very helpful, thank you.
> > The concersion from FAT16 to FAT32 worked perfectly, but it didn't
> > get me back the missing 36 GB's or so, as I had hoped.
> > Do you know of a way to recover them?
> > I had inquired about that before and have PM8 ready to do it's job as
> > soon as I am ready, which I am not at the moment.
> > Maybe there is another way?

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 6:45:19 PM

webster72n wrote:

> I did gain some 400 MB's
> back on the 2GB C drive by converting to FAT32.

That's due to cluster size and slack space only, nothing to do with the
actual partition size, none of that came from the lost 36GB.

FAT Partition Efficiency: Slack
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/file/par...

John
February 4, 2005 6:45:19 PM

Harry,

I didn't know that you had PM8. You can use PM8 to convert the file
system on a partition if you need to do so again. PM8 maps out what's
on the HD, so you should be able to identify where the HD space is
currently allocated, and then determine what you want to do with it.

Tom

webster72n wrote:
> I am afraid so, Mike.
> A soon as I am ready to tackle the thing with PM8
> I will get back to this NG.
> For now everything is operating seemingly ok. and I did gain some 400 MB's
> back on the 2GB C drive by converting to FAT32. That was some progress
> already.
> Thanks Mike and everyone involved here.
>
> Harry.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 7:39:41 PM

Tom:

Once I gain some confidence, I will do just what you suggest, put the lost
part back into existence, right where
it belongs. I might need some help in doing that.
If I would send a note pad copy of the current partition status, it would
give you an idea of what I am dealing with.
Until then we're going to take it easy, lying low.
Thanks to all.

> Harry,
>
> I didn't know that you had PM8. You can use PM8 to convert the file
> system on a partition if you need to do so again. PM8 maps out what's
> on the HD, so you should be able to identify where the HD space is
> currently allocated, and then determine what you want to do with it.
>
> Tom
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > I am afraid so, Mike.
> > A soon as I am ready to tackle the thing with PM8
> > I will get back to this NG.
> > For now everything is operating seemingly ok. and I did gain some 400
MB's
> > back on the 2GB C drive by converting to FAT32. That was some progress
> > already.
> > Thanks Mike and everyone involved here.
> >
> > Harry.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 1:10:31 AM

PM8.pdf
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/product...

See "Resizing and Moving Partitions"

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------

> Tom:
>
> Once I gain some confidence, I will do just what you suggest, put the lost
> part back into existence, right where
> it belongs. I might need some help in doing that.
> If I would send a note pad copy of the current partition status, it would
> give you an idea of what I am dealing with.
> Until then we're going to take it easy, lying low.
> Thanks to all.
>
> Harry.
>

> "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > Harry,
> >
> > I didn't know that you had PM8. You can use PM8 to convert the file
> > system on a partition if you need to do so again. PM8 maps out what's
> > on the HD, so you should be able to identify where the HD space is
> > currently allocated, and then determine what you want to do with it.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > webster72n wrote:
> > > I am afraid so, Mike.
> > > A soon as I am ready to tackle the thing with PM8
> > > I will get back to this NG.
> > > For now everything is operating seemingly ok. and I did gain some 400
> MB's
> > > back on the 2GB C drive by converting to FAT32. That was some progress
> > > already.
> > > Thanks Mike and everyone involved here.
> > >
> > > Harry.

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 5:20:53 PM

Jack:

You are like an everlasting fountain.
Thanks for the link, but it refuses to show up, even though it says 'Done'
(with the download I presume).
A little while ago I installed NetZero 7 (Beta), but on 'D' instead of 'C',
because of its small size (2GB), where D has almost 40GB.
I did install it from a floppy and things changrd a bit afterwards. Have a
hunch that this might be the culprit.
It probably will be better to uninstall the program again.
I keep it in case my ISP goes on the blink.
Do the problems never cease?

Harry.

news:o 7zK9AzCFHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> PM8.pdf

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/product...

> See "Resizing and Moving Partitions"

> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Tom:
> >
> > Once I gain some confidence, I will do just what you suggest, put the
lost
> > part back into existence, right where
> > it belongs. I might need some help in doing that.
> > If I would send a note pad copy of the current partition status, it
would
> > give you an idea of what I am dealing with.
> > Until then we're going to take it easy, lying low.
> > Thanks to all.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > > Harry,
> > >
> > > I didn't know that you had PM8. You can use PM8 to convert the file
> > > system on a partition if you need to do so again. PM8 maps out what's
> > > on the HD, so you should be able to identify where the HD space is
> > > currently allocated, and then determine what you want to do with it.
> > >
> > > Tom

> > MB's

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 10:31:48 PM

Begin by installing the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which
includes the IE plug-in, at
to display the PDF file in IE.

Begin at "Step 1 of 2" to get the WinME version.

> Jack:
>
> You are like an everlasting fountain.
> Thanks for the link, but it refuses to show up, even though it says 'Done'
> (with the download I presume).
> A little while ago I installed NetZero 7 (Beta), but on 'D' instead of
'C',
> because of its small size (2GB), where D has almost 40GB.
> I did install it from a floppy and things changrd a bit afterwards. Have a
> hunch that this might be the culprit.
> It probably will be better to uninstall the program again.
> I keep it in case my ISP goes on the blink.
> Do the problems never cease?
>
> Harry.
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> news:o 7zK9AzCFHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > PM8.pdf

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/product...

> > See "Resizing and Moving Partitions"
> >
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Tom:
> > >
> > > Once I gain some confidence, I will do just what you suggest, put the
> lost
> > > part back into existence, right where
> > > it belongs. I might need some help in doing that.
> > > If I would send a note pad copy of the current partition status, it
> would
> > > give you an idea of what I am dealing with.
> > > Until then we're going to take it easy, lying low.
> > > Thanks to all.
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >

> > > "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message

> 400
> > > MB's
> progress

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:13:56 PM

Jack

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.
Should I uninstall it first and , if I do, what about the saved documents in
it? Is there a way to recover them?
Thanks.

Harry.

> Begin by installing the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which
> includes the IE plug-in, at
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
> to display the PDF file in IE.
>
> Begin at "Step 1 of 2" to get the WinME version.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Jack:
> >
> > You are like an everlasting fountain.
> > Thanks for the link, but it refuses to show up, even though it says
'Done'
> > (with the download I presume).
> > A little while ago I installed NetZero 7 (Beta), but on 'D' instead of
> 'C',
> > because of its small size (2GB), where D has almost 40GB.
> > I did install it from a floppy and things changrd a bit afterwards. Have
> > hunch that this might be the culprit.
> > It probably will be better to uninstall the program again.
> > I keep it in case my ISP goes on the blink.
> > Do the problems never cease?
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > news:o 7zK9AzCFHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > PM8.pdf

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/product...

> > > See "Resizing and Moving Partitions"
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > > ------
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

> > lost
> > would

> what's

> > 400
> > progress

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 6:59:22 PM

Jack:

Is Adobe Acrobat Reader 6 sufficirnt to do the job?
I have that on a disk somewhere.
If I would need version 7, WinME is not included in the requirements, or can
I install it anyway?
As you can see, I am still fumbling.

Harry.

> Begin by installing the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which
> includes the IE plug-in, at
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
> to display the PDF file in IE.
>
> Begin at "Step 1 of 2" to get the WinME version.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Jack:
> >
> > You are like an everlasting fountain.
> > Thanks for the link, but it refuses to show up, even though it says
'Done'
> > (with the download I presume).
> > A little while ago I installed NetZero 7 (Beta), but on 'D' instead of
> 'C',
> > because of its small size (2GB), where D has almost 40GB.
> > I did install it from a floppy and things changrd a bit afterwards. Have
> > hunch that this might be the culprit.
> > It probably will be better to uninstall the program again.
> > I keep it in case my ISP goes on the blink.
> > Do the problems never cease?
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > news:o 7zK9AzCFHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > PM8.pdf

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/product...

> > > See "Resizing and Moving Partitions"
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > > ------
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

> > lost
> > would

> what's

> > 400
> > progress

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 10:46:08 PM

Hello Jack:

I am glad you didn't reply yet, beause in the meantime
I've got things worked out myself, making my previous post obsolete.
Thank you for your patience.

Harry.

> Begin by installing the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader, which
> includes the IE plug-in, at
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
> to display the PDF file in IE.
>
> Begin at "Step 1 of 2" to get the WinME version.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Jack:
> >
> > You are like an everlasting fountain.
> > Thanks for the link, but it refuses to show up, even though it says
'Done'
> > (with the download I presume).
> > A little while ago I installed NetZero 7 (Beta), but on 'D' instead of
> 'C',
> > because of its small size (2GB), where D has almost 40GB.
> > I did install it from a floppy and things changrd a bit afterwards. Have
> > hunch that this might be the culprit.
> > It probably will be better to uninstall the program again.
> > I keep it in case my ISP goes on the blink.
> > Do the problems never cease?
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > news:o 7zK9AzCFHA.2600@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > PM8.pdf

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/product...

> > > See "Resizing and Moving Partitions"
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > > ------
> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

> > lost
> > would

> what's

> > 400
> > progress

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:06:01 AM

Some eleven hours later, I suspect you now know Adobe Acrobat Reader Version
7 is for XP, and you can install the newer version of Reader, 6.03 for
Win9X, "in place", and that your personal data is safe, during the update.

I hope your other issues are now resolved.

> Hello Jack:
>
> I am glad you didn't reply yet, beause in the meantime
> I've got things worked out myself, making my previous post obsolete.
> Thank you for your patience.
>
> Harry.

<SNIP>
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:13:32 AM

Jack:

I simply kept version 5.
To begin with, I didn't go to the second step at first.
And where "my other issues" are concerned,
they are not resolved by a long shot.
But getting back to the link you had posted before,
it still doesn't materialize. It doesn't really matter either.
I have all the neccessary instructions included with my PM8 program. Not
until I study them carefully enough to be sure that I am ready.
Thank you very much.

Harry.

!