no longer recognizes A or D drive

my computer no longer recognizes those two drives, it asks me to install a
disk into the appropriate drive even though there is a disk in them.

Any suggestions?

Bill

The A: being the floppy drive and the D:, I guess, is your CD-ROM?

First - has this only 'recently' happened and did it happen to BOTH drives
at the same time?

Second - Is your computer located in a dusty environment?

What happens if you put your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk into the A: drive
and then boot-up your computer? Any error reports?

Mart

"bphw" <pennyheld@verizon.net> wrote in message
> my computer no longer recognizes those two drives, it asks me to install a
> disk into the appropriate drive even though there is a disk in them.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Bill

A is the floppy, D is a DVD, the A: drive went first about 2 weeks ago,
being it wasn't used that much I didn't really care. The D: drive went in
just the last couple of days. I keep the computer dusted frequently and I
haven't tried the Startup disk yet.

When I go to My Computer, it shows both drives as well as my C: and E: which
so far works. E: is a zip drive.

I'll try the startup disk and let you know.

Bill
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> The A: being the floppy drive and the D:, I guess, is your CD-ROM?
>
> First - has this only 'recently' happened and did it happen to BOTH drives
> at the same time?
>
> Second - Is your computer located in a dusty environment?
>
> What happens if you put your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk into the A:
drive
> and then boot-up your computer? Any error reports?
>
> Mart
>

> "bphw" <pennyheld@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > my computer no longer recognizes those two drives, it asks me to install
> > disk into the appropriate drive even though there is a disk in them.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Bill

Unfortunately, I can't find my startup disk.

Bill
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> The A: being the floppy drive and the D:, I guess, is your CD-ROM?
>
> First - has this only 'recently' happened and did it happen to BOTH drives
> at the same time?
>
> Second - Is your computer located in a dusty environment?
>
> What happens if you put your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk into the A:
drive
> and then boot-up your computer? Any error reports?
>
> Mart
>

> "bphw" <pennyheld@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > my computer no longer recognizes those two drives, it asks me to install
> > disk into the appropriate drive even though there is a disk in them.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Bill

I just restarted my computer with just a plain floppy in A:. It didn't even
try to access the A: drive at all. Don't know if that helps.

Bill
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> The A: being the floppy drive and the D:, I guess, is your CD-ROM?
>
> First - has this only 'recently' happened and did it happen to BOTH drives
> at the same time?
>
> Second - Is your computer located in a dusty environment?
>
> What happens if you put your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk into the A:
drive
> and then boot-up your computer? Any error reports?
>
> Mart
>

> "bphw" <pennyheld@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > my computer no longer recognizes those two drives, it asks me to install
> > disk into the appropriate drive even though there is a disk in them.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Bill

OK, Bill - one thing at a time ...

> I just restarted my computer with just a plain floppy in A:.
> It didn't even try to access the A: drive at all.

You are going to have to confirm/alter the 'boot sequence' in your BIOS.

Boot into your BIOS at startup (power-up) - [Often Del or F1 key - You may
see a 'message' as the start-up screen scrolls down the monitor as it starts
to boot, if not, read the manual] Then you are going to have to make sure
that you pc boots from the A: drive first, - before the C: drive.

If it is already set correctly - then you appear to have a faulty A: drive
and substitution/replacement is your simplest (and cheapest) course of
action

> Unfortunately, I can't find my startup disk.

You are going to need one! - Can you borrow one?

Or can you gain access to a PC on which the A: drive works? If so, you
will have to download a WinMe Startup Disk making utility from
www.bootdisk.com - Just download it to the hard drive and run it to make
a new WinMe Startup floppy disk using that PC.

Until you've got your A: drive working properly - and have a WinMe boot
disk - you can't (easily) troubleshoot your DVD.

>I just restarted my computer with just a plain floppy in A:. It didn't
>even
> try to access the A: drive at all. Don't know if that helps.
>
> Bill
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> The A: being the floppy drive and the D:, I guess, is your CD-ROM?
>>
>> First - has this only 'recently' happened and did it happen to BOTH
>> drives
>> at the same time?
>>
>> Second - Is your computer located in a dusty environment?
>>
>> What happens if you put your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk into the A:
> drive
>> and then boot-up your computer? Any error reports?
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "bphw" <pennyheld@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> > my computer no longer recognizes those two drives, it asks me to
>> > install
>> > disk into the appropriate drive even though there is a disk in them.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>> >
>> > Bill

job

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004

I had this problem one time with my CD drive and corrected
it by running a CD/DVD Lens Cleaner (purchased from an
office supply store) cd in the drive. Maybe will work for
you also. Good luck.