Would a P2 system benefit from a PCI ATA 100/133 IDE card?..

Would a P2 system benefit from a PCI ATA 100/133 IDE controller card?
Any speed improvements if used with an ATA 100/133 HDD?

What are your recommendations for such a card?
Bootable or non-bootable?

Thank you.

--
Take care.

roadster3043

ICQ 154116780
Yahoo intuxicated
MSN jmfix at hotmail dot com
AIM roadster3043
4 answers Last reply
More about would system benefit card

    > Would a P2 system benefit from a PCI ATA 100/133 IDE controller card?
    > Any speed improvements if used with an ATA 100/133 HDD?

    yes ( assuming that your present ide is ata-66 or slower )

    "roadster3043" <pls.see.addr@my.sig> wrote in message
    > Would a P2 system benefit from a PCI ATA 100/133 IDE controller card?
    > Any speed improvements if used with an ATA 100/133 HDD?
    >
    > What are your recommendations for such a card?
    > Bootable or non-bootable?
    >
    > Thank you.

    No. Most hard drives aren't fast enough to max out the bandwidth of a ATA66
    interface. ATA100 and ATA133 are basically marketing gimmicks. You will
    see no speed improvement at all. More helpful would be to upgrade the RPM
    and cache of your current hard drive. Say, from 5400RPM/2MB to 7200RPM/8MB
    (for example). But even that wouldn't be a significant improvement. -Dave

    "roadster3043" <pls.see.addr@my.sig> wrote in message
    > Would a P2 system benefit from a PCI ATA 100/133 IDE controller card?
    > Any speed improvements if used with an ATA 100/133 HDD?

    Probably not that you'd really notice.

    > What are your recommendations for such a card?
    > Bootable or non-bootable?

    I built a second PC recently, based on an Athlon XP 2600, and installed a
    Maxtor new hard disk. I used an IDE cable I happened to have around and
    everything seemed fine.
    Then I was fiddling around with Linux and noticed that the hard disk was
    running in UDMA2 mode (33 MB/s).
    After a bit of investigation I found out that I should be using an 80-core
    cable for the drive (not the old 40-core), so I got a new cable. Plugged it
    in an everything works fine, now running in UDMA6 mode (133 MB/s)
    However, the performance improvement is hardly noticeable. I'm happy to have
    done it, for the cost of a cable, but I doubt if it's worth buying an
    adapter card specially.

    John

    On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:49:13 GMT, "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com>
    wrote:

    >"roadster3043" <pls.see.addr@my.sig> wrote in message
    >> Would a P2 system benefit from a PCI ATA 100/133 IDE controller card?
    >> Any speed improvements if used with an ATA 100/133 HDD?
    >
    >Probably not that you'd really notice.
    >
    >> What are your recommendations for such a card?
    >> Bootable or non-bootable?
    >
    >I built a second PC recently, based on an Athlon XP 2600, and installed a
    >Maxtor new hard disk. I used an IDE cable I happened to have around and
    >everything seemed fine.
    >Then I was fiddling around with Linux and noticed that the hard disk was
    >running in UDMA2 mode (33 MB/s).
    >After a bit of investigation I found out that I should be using an 80-core
    >cable for the drive (not the old 40-core), so I got a new cable. Plugged it
    >in an everything works fine, now running in UDMA6 mode (133 MB/s)
    >However, the performance improvement is hardly noticeable. I'm happy to have
    >done it, for the cost of a cable, but I doubt if it's worth buying an
    >adapter card specially.
    >
    >John

    Yoiu won't really see a big difference in speed using ATA133 for most
    functions.
    It's real use is data capture. i.e. dv capture.
    I installed a promise ata133 card and saw a signifigant increase in
    capture rate vs the on board ata100 comtroller.(in conjunction with a
    maxtor ata133 drive.)

Homebuilt PCI Systems