Would a P2 system benefit from a PCI ATA 100/133 IDE card?..

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2004 11:01:05 AM

Would a P2 system benefit from a PCI ATA 100/133 IDE controller card?
Any speed improvements if used with an ATA 100/133 HDD?

What are your recommendations for such a card?
Bootable or non-bootable?

Thank you.

--
Take care.

roadster3043

ICQ 154116780
Yahoo intuxicated
MSN jmfix at hotmail dot com
AIM roadster3043
November 12, 2004 11:01:06 AM

> Would a P2 system benefit from a PCI ATA 100/133 IDE controller card?
> Any speed improvements if used with an ATA 100/133 HDD?

yes ( assuming that your present ide is ata-66 or slower )
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2004 11:01:06 AM

"roadster3043" <pls.see.addr@my.sig> wrote in message
> Would a P2 system benefit from a PCI ATA 100/133 IDE controller card?
> Any speed improvements if used with an ATA 100/133 HDD?
>
> What are your recommendations for such a card?
> Bootable or non-bootable?
>
> Thank you.

No. Most hard drives aren't fast enough to max out the bandwidth of a ATA66
interface. ATA100 and ATA133 are basically marketing gimmicks. You will
see no speed improvement at all. More helpful would be to upgrade the RPM
and cache of your current hard drive. Say, from 5400RPM/2MB to 7200RPM/8MB
(for example). But even that wouldn't be a significant improvement. -Dave
a b B Homebuilt system
November 14, 2004 2:49:13 AM

"roadster3043" <pls.see.addr@my.sig> wrote in message
> Would a P2 system benefit from a PCI ATA 100/133 IDE controller card?
> Any speed improvements if used with an ATA 100/133 HDD?

Probably not that you'd really notice.

> What are your recommendations for such a card?
> Bootable or non-bootable?

I built a second PC recently, based on an Athlon XP 2600, and installed a
Maxtor new hard disk. I used an IDE cable I happened to have around and
everything seemed fine.
Then I was fiddling around with Linux and noticed that the hard disk was
running in UDMA2 mode (33 MB/s).
After a bit of investigation I found out that I should be using an 80-core
cable for the drive (not the old 40-core), so I got a new cable. Plugged it
in an everything works fine, now running in UDMA6 mode (133 MB/s)
However, the performance improvement is hardly noticeable. I'm happy to have
done it, for the cost of a cable, but I doubt if it's worth buying an
adapter card specially.

John
November 14, 2004 2:49:14 AM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:49:13 GMT, "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>"roadster3043" <pls.see.addr@my.sig> wrote in message
>> Would a P2 system benefit from a PCI ATA 100/133 IDE controller card?
>> Any speed improvements if used with an ATA 100/133 HDD?
>
>Probably not that you'd really notice.
>
>> What are your recommendations for such a card?
>> Bootable or non-bootable?
>
>I built a second PC recently, based on an Athlon XP 2600, and installed a
>Maxtor new hard disk. I used an IDE cable I happened to have around and
>everything seemed fine.
>Then I was fiddling around with Linux and noticed that the hard disk was
>running in UDMA2 mode (33 MB/s).
>After a bit of investigation I found out that I should be using an 80-core
>cable for the drive (not the old 40-core), so I got a new cable. Plugged it
>in an everything works fine, now running in UDMA6 mode (133 MB/s)
>However, the performance improvement is hardly noticeable. I'm happy to have
>done it, for the cost of a cable, but I doubt if it's worth buying an
>adapter card specially.
>
>John

Yoiu won't really see a big difference in speed using ATA133 for most
functions.
It's real use is data capture. i.e. dv capture.
I installed a promise ata133 card and saw a signifigant increase in
capture rate vs the on board ata100 comtroller.(in conjunction with a
maxtor ata133 drive.)
!