Another Read-Only Issue

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 4, 2005 1:31:03 PM

I just had to do a complete system re-install. The OS, applications and
peripherals all seem to be working perfectly. My issue is that when I try to
copy all my files (mainly spreadsheets, word docs and photos) from the
back-up CDs I created before the re-install process, everything (folders and
files) shows up in Windows Explorer as read-only. Files also have that
designation when opened in their respective applications.

How can I get my folders and files so they appear "normally?" I am not sure
if the earlier post about read-only issues also answers my question and I was
reluctant to try it because I don't know enough to fool around with registry
settings unless I absolutely have to.

Also, will I have to recopy all my files from the back-up CDs or will the
above solution, or any new one, automatically fix all the read-only files I
have already transferred?

Thanks for the help!

More about : read issue

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:55:50 PM

Google this: "ATTRIB -R *.* /S"

John

Ham wrote:

> I just had to do a complete system re-install. The OS, applications and
> peripherals all seem to be working perfectly. My issue is that when I try to
> copy all my files (mainly spreadsheets, word docs and photos) from the
> back-up CDs I created before the re-install process, everything (folders and
> files) shows up in Windows Explorer as read-only. Files also have that
> designation when opened in their respective applications.
>
> How can I get my folders and files so they appear "normally?" I am not sure
> if the earlier post about read-only issues also answers my question and I was
> reluctant to try it because I don't know enough to fool around with registry
> settings unless I absolutely have to.
>
> Also, will I have to recopy all my files from the back-up CDs or will the
> above solution, or any new one, automatically fix all the read-only files I
> have already transferred?
>
> Thanks for the help!
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:46:39 PM

What you are seeing is a feature of the Joliet/ISO filing system used when
mastering CDs. This filing system knows nothing about file
permissions/attributes and by convention all files restored from CD media
are marked as read only. This is not an operating system issue but a
consequence of the ISO standard.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Ham <Ham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I just had to do a complete system re-install. The OS, applications
> and peripherals all seem to be working perfectly. My issue is that
> when I try to copy all my files (mainly spreadsheets, word docs and
> photos) from the back-up CDs I created before the re-install process,
> everything (folders and files) shows up in Windows Explorer as
> read-only. Files also have that designation when opened in their
> respective applications.
>
> How can I get my folders and files so they appear "normally?" I am
> not sure if the earlier post about read-only issues also answers my
> question and I was reluctant to try it because I don't know enough to
> fool around with registry settings unless I absolutely have to.
>
> Also, will I have to recopy all my files from the back-up CDs or will
> the above solution, or any new one, automatically fix all the
> read-only files I have already transferred?
>
> Thanks for the help!
Related resources
February 4, 2005 9:51:13 PM

Files on CD's (though not necessarily CDRW discs) are Read-only. To remove
the read-only attribute, r-click, select Properties, clear the Read-only
check box and apply. You can do this to multiple files simultaneously, or
you can do it to folders (whereupon you get the option to change just the
folder's attributes or all the files within also). You can also do it from a
command prompt but that isn't likkely to be required.

Shane

"Ham" <Ham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just had to do a complete system re-install. The OS, applications and
> peripherals all seem to be working perfectly. My issue is that when I try
> copy all my files (mainly spreadsheets, word docs and photos) from the
> back-up CDs I created before the re-install process, everything (folders
and
> files) shows up in Windows Explorer as read-only. Files also have that
> designation when opened in their respective applications.
>
> How can I get my folders and files so they appear "normally?" I am not
sure
> if the earlier post about read-only issues also answers my question and I
was
> reluctant to try it because I don't know enough to fool around with
registry
> settings unless I absolutely have to.
>
> Also, will I have to recopy all my files from the back-up CDs or will the
> above solution, or any new one, automatically fix all the read-only files
> have already transferred?
>
> Thanks for the help!
February 4, 2005 9:51:14 PM

I copied my files onto a CDRW disc before I did my system re-installation, so
I am assuming they should have whatever properties are normally associated
with that format. Does this change your solution?

I never really paid attention before, but are files copied this way always
read-only?

"Shane" wrote:

> Files on CD's (though not necessarily CDRW discs) are Read-only. To remove
> the read-only attribute, r-click, select Properties, clear the Read-only
> check box and apply. You can do this to multiple files simultaneously, or
> you can do it to folders (whereupon you get the option to change just the
> folder's attributes or all the files within also). You can also do it from a
> command prompt but that isn't likkely to be required.
>
> Shane
>

> "Ham" <Ham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just had to do a complete system re-install. The OS, applications and
> > peripherals all seem to be working perfectly. My issue is that when I try
> > copy all my files (mainly spreadsheets, word docs and photos) from the
> > back-up CDs I created before the re-install process, everything (folders
> and
> > files) shows up in Windows Explorer as read-only. Files also have that
> > designation when opened in their respective applications.
> >
> > How can I get my folders and files so they appear "normally?" I am not
> sure
> > if the earlier post about read-only issues also answers my question and I
> was
> > reluctant to try it because I don't know enough to fool around with
> registry
> > settings unless I absolutely have to.
> >
> > Also, will I have to recopy all my files from the back-up CDs or will the
> > above solution, or any new one, automatically fix all the read-only files
> > have already transferred?
> >
> > Thanks for the help!

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:03:08 PM

Shane,

Rather than files written to CDRW I suspect you meant files written to
disk (both R and RW) with packet software using the UDF format (Universal
Disk Format) such as Roxio's DirectCD and Ahead's InCD.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Files on CD's (though not necessarily CDRW discs) are Read-only. To
> remove the read-only attribute, r-click, select Properties, clear the
> Read-only check box and apply. You can do this to multiple files
> simultaneously, or you can do it to folders (whereupon you get the
> option to change just the folder's attributes or all the files within
> also). You can also do it from a command prompt but that isn't
> likkely to be required.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 1:51:51 AM

Ham <Ham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I copied my files onto a CDRW disc before I did my system
> re-installation, so I am assuming they should have whatever
> properties are normally associated with that format. Does this
> change your solution?
>
> I never really paid attention before, but are files copied this way
> always read-only?

Whether the files have retained their attributes of not depends entirely
on the filing system used on the disk rather than the type of disk and
that filing system depends on the application used.

Files written to CDR/RW using mastering software and hence to the
ISO/Joliet standard have no attributes associated with them and will
always be restored as read only.
Files written to CDR/RW using packet software and therefore using the UDF
format will retain their attributes.

Note that disks written using the UDF system should not be considered
suitable for archive or back up use due to the frequent problems
encountered when attempting to read the resulting disks on systems other
than that on which the CD was initially written.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Indeed, Mike, thanks for the correction.

Shane

> Shane,
>
> Rather than files written to CDRW I suspect you meant files written to
> disk (both R and RW) with packet software using the UDF format (Universal
> Disk Format) such as Roxio's DirectCD and Ahead's InCD.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Files on CD's (though not necessarily CDRW discs) are Read-only. To
> > remove the read-only attribute, r-click, select Properties, clear the
> > Read-only check box and apply. You can do this to multiple files
> > simultaneously, or you can do it to folders (whereupon you get the
> > option to change just the folder's attributes or all the files within
> > also). You can also do it from a command prompt but that isn't
> > likkely to be required.

February 5, 2005 2:11:27 AM

As Mike says, Ham. It is, rather, the application you copied them with - one
for ISO/Joliet as against UDF.

> I copied my files onto a CDRW disc before I did my system re-installation,
so
> I am assuming they should have whatever properties are normally associated
> with that format. Does this change your solution?
>
> I never really paid attention before, but are files copied this way always
> read-only?
>
> "Shane" wrote:
>
> > Files on CD's (though not necessarily CDRW discs) are Read-only. To
remove
> > the read-only attribute, r-click, select Properties, clear the Read-only
> > check box and apply. You can do this to multiple files simultaneously,
or
> > you can do it to folders (whereupon you get the option to change just
the
> > folder's attributes or all the files within also). You can also do it
from a
> > command prompt but that isn't likkely to be required.
> >
> > Shane
> >

> > "Ham" <Ham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I just had to do a complete system re-install. The OS, applications
and
> > > peripherals all seem to be working perfectly. My issue is that when I
try
> > > copy all my files (mainly spreadsheets, word docs and photos) from the
> > > back-up CDs I created before the re-install process, everything
(folders
> > and
> > > files) shows up in Windows Explorer as read-only. Files also have
that
> > > designation when opened in their respective applications.
> > >
> > > How can I get my folders and files so they appear "normally?" I am
not
> > sure
> > > if the earlier post about read-only issues also answers my question
and I
> > was
> > > reluctant to try it because I don't know enough to fool around with
> > registry
> > > settings unless I absolutely have to.
> > >
> > > Also, will I have to recopy all my files from the back-up CDs or will
the
> > > above solution, or any new one, automatically fix all the read-only
files
> > > have already transferred?
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help!

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:26:41 AM

Shane,

I hope you don't mind but I commented because:
a) I often write to CDRW disks using Nero (ISO/Joliet), mainly to test
video encodes to check that they will play in my standalone DVD player
that supports DivX and XviD.
b) Whilst DirectCD I think only supports CDRW I'm not sure the same is
true of Ahead's InCD which I think can also write to CDR. I know that the
late lamented CeQuadrat (Roxio have a lot to answer for) had a UDF
application, which I think was called PacketCD, which could be used with
both CDR and CDRW media.
--
Mike

Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, Mike, thanks for the correction.
February 5, 2005 2:47:53 AM

Mike,

> I hope you don't mind but I commented because:

No, not at all. Actually I wonder if I'll *ever* stop making that error.

> b) Whilst DirectCD I think only supports CDRW I'm not sure the same is
> true of Ahead's InCD which I think can also write to CDR. I know that the

I just checked InCD's Help documentation and it's quite emphatic that it
cannot be used with CDRs.

Shane
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 3:07:16 AM

> I just checked InCD's Help documentation and it's quite emphatic that
> it cannot be used with CDRs.

Thanks for checking that Shane since I don't have InCD installed or any
other packet software come to that. I wonder if this has changed at some
time as I thought InCD could write to CDR at one stage. I know that
packet writing to CDR and CDRW is/was done differently with, I think, CDRW
being written using fixed length blocks whereas when writing to CDR
variable length blocks can/are(?) used. I can see variable length blocks
being a potential cause of problems.
--
Mike
(Who's decided on an early night with a book <g>)

Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I just checked InCD's Help documentation and it's quite emphatic that
> it cannot be used with CDRs.
February 5, 2005 6:10:50 AM

> Mike
> (Who's decided on an early night with a book <g>)

Don't blame you, Mike! I've managed an improved book-computer ratio myself
lately. But right now I've had to get up again, despite taking a Nytol an
hour ago. Now I'm back to bed to try again!

Hope it's a good book!

Shane
April 16, 2005 8:09:25 PM

"Ham" wrote:

> I just had to do a complete system re-install. The OS, applications and
> peripherals all seem to be working perfectly. My issue is that when I try to
> copy all my files (mainly spreadsheets, word docs and photos) from the
> back-up CDs I created before the re-install process, everything (folders and
> files) shows up in Windows Explorer as read-only. Files also have that
> designation when opened in their respective applications.
>
> How can I get my folders and files so they appear "normally?" I am not sure
> if the earlier post about read-only issues also answers my question and I was
> reluctant to try it because I don't know enough to fool around with registry
> settings unless I absolutely have to.
>
> Also, will I have to recopy all my files from the back-up CDs or will the
> above solution, or any new one, automatically fix all the read-only files I
> have already transferred?
>
> Thanks for the help!
April 16, 2005 8:11:02 PM

All my CD-RW discs became read only after I updated Windows Media Player.
I read the InCD manual and did as they suggested. Uninstall InCD and then
reinstall it and I have had no problem since.

!