startup won't go past Windows ME screen

My Windows ME laptop will no longer start up. Powering up, I get to the
white Windows ME screen, but no farther. If i hit escape, a black screen
appears that says "Please wait while Setup updates your configuration files.
This may take a few minutes..." However, after 10-15 minutes, a line
appears "Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 This keeps
repeating every 15 minutes or so. What do I do?
12 answers Last reply
More about startup past windows screen

    OEMXXX.inf files

    Ever heard of Norton System Doctor shooting its users in both feet? If not
    and using or having used System Doctor read on, if not ignore the rest of
    this post.

    Check your windows\inf folder (a hidden system folder and you will have to
    enable the viewing of such files and folders in Explorer (Tools | Folder
    Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide
    protected operating system files") and look for large numbers of oem*.inf
    files that are all 0 bytes in size. If you've got thousands of such files
    this is the cause of your problem as you're probably at the limit of the
    number of entries that can be entered in a FAT folder and therefore cannot
    add
    any inf file associated with the update.

    Why has this happened? Did you perhaps forget to disable System Doctor
    before
    updating your system from the Windows Update site? If you don't delete
    these
    files some software and most hardware and driver installs will take a very
    long time to complete if they complete at all.

    For more details see the Symantec site:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n
    and also MS KB Q281967 - "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup,
    Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281967). I would
    strongly recommend that you contact Microsoft and mention Q281967 and also
    Q301540 and ask for a copy of the new ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.3003. You will then
    either be sent the file or told how and where to download a copy. There
    should be no charge for this call other than for the cost of the phone call.
    --
    Mike Maltby 9/01/2002
    ------

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "jjjimmys" <jjjimmys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My Windows ME laptop will no longer start up. Powering up, I get to the
    > white Windows ME screen, but no farther. If i hit escape, a black screen
    > appears that says "Please wait while Setup updates your configuration
    files.
    > This may take a few minutes..." However, after 10-15 minutes, a line
    > appears "Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 This keeps
    > repeating every 15 minutes or so. What do I do?

    In case the issue started after an update or the addition of some other
    software, this info (also from Mike Maltby, MS-MVP), may be of some
    help.......

    First boot to DOS using a floppy and check whether you have a WININIT.INI
    file in your C:\WINDOWS folder. If present rename it to something like
    wininit.old and try booting again. It is also probable that you will have
    repeat the last software install or update that you made. See MS KB283069 -
    "Error Message: (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=283069).

    If you can't find a wininit.ini file then I suspect your problem is due to
    the
    C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder having around 64K files in it which is the limit
    (2**16) for the number of files that can be located in a folder using the
    FAT32 filing system. This can also lead to the "Cannot upgrade file %1 from
    %2.." message when booting. I suggest you try deleting the _RESTORE folder
    with the loss of any system restore checkpoints you might have (not that I
    think they are now usable) and see if that solves the problem. [BTW do you
    have any Symantec applications installed? I ask because LiveUpdate is
    implicated in this problem.] Delete the folder as follows:
    a) Boot to DOS using a floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot" from the menu
    when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer with (or
    without)
    CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be available.
    b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:

    ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
    REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

    c) Remove the floppy
    d) Reboot your PC

    Another problem though is that the update you were doing was probably never
    completed so your system may still be unusable. If however it does manage
    boot then
    e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
    f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
    g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder:
    System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider
    to your preferred setting. A figure of 200MB is normally more than
    adequate
    for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available
    although increasing this to perhaps 400MB for a few days during periods of
    large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mcmaltby@hotmail.com

    =======================================
    Heirloom, old and starting to hate the smell of latex

    > OEMXXX.inf files
    >
    > Ever heard of Norton System Doctor shooting its users in both feet? If
    not
    > and using or having used System Doctor read on, if not ignore the rest of
    > this post.
    >
    > Check your windows\inf folder (a hidden system folder and you will have to
    > enable the viewing of such files and folders in Explorer (Tools | Folder
    > Options | View and check "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide
    > protected operating system files") and look for large numbers of oem*.inf
    > files that are all 0 bytes in size. If you've got thousands of such files
    > this is the cause of your problem as you're probably at the limit of the
    > number of entries that can be entered in a FAT folder and therefore cannot
    > add
    > any inf file associated with the update.
    >
    > Why has this happened? Did you perhaps forget to disable System Doctor
    > before
    > updating your system from the Windows Update site? If you don't delete
    > these
    > files some software and most hardware and driver installs will take a very
    > long time to complete if they complete at all.
    >
    > For more details see the Symantec site:
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000120915010309&src=n
    > and also MS KB Q281967 - "Computer Stops Responding (Hangs) During Setup,
    > Installing Updates, or Adding New Hardware"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q281967). I
    would
    > strongly recommend that you contact Microsoft and mention Q281967 and also
    > Q301540 and ask for a copy of the new ifsmgr.vxd v4.90.3003. You will
    then
    > either be sent the file or told how and where to download a copy. There
    > should be no charge for this call other than for the cost of the phone
    call.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby 9/01/2002
    > ------
    > KB 301540 - "CreateFile Improperly Returns ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS
    > if the Drive Is Locked and the File Did Not Exist"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;301540)

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "jjjimmys" <jjjimmys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My Windows ME laptop will no longer start up. Powering up, I get to
    the
    > > white Windows ME screen, but no farther. If i hit escape, a black
    screen
    > > appears that says "Please wait while Setup updates your configuration
    > files.
    > > This may take a few minutes..." However, after 10-15 minutes, a line
    > > appears "Windows could not upgrade the file %1 from %2 This keeps
    > > repeating every 15 minutes or so. What do I do?

    Windows should be reinstalled!
    Reinstalling Windows seems best, I am a computer repaiman,
    install Windows in Partial install mode first, if that
    doesnt work install Windows again in Full install Mode and
    that should work.

> [...]

    .....and that's the reason that you're a 'computer repairman'!
    Reinstalling Windows is a LAST resort - and NOT necessary under most
    circumstances.

    Reinstalling the OS has at least two effects - both of which mean that
    another reinstallation is more likely in the future.
    1) if the reinstall is a clean one, then the user is forced to reinstall all
    programs, and is likely to commit the same errors in doing so that he did
    the first time, which created the apparent need for the reinstall
    2) if the reinstall is an over-the-top one, then version soup is the likely
    result - with effects that are entirely unpredictable, and the end-result is
    most likely to be a clean install and loss of data

    Neither teaches the user anything about the cause of the problem, and
    possible prevention of recurrence

    It would seem that you are more intent on repeat business for your repair
    shop than on helping your customers understand their PC's.
    It would also seem that you know very little about computers - please let me
    know the company name so I can put it on my 'avoid' list! There is no such
    thing as either a 'Partial Install' of Windows, or a 'Full install' -
    although they may be terms that you have invented for whatever it is that
    you purport to attempt to do to your clients' machines.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    ROFL!

    As soon as I read *I am a computer repairman* I envisaged *Bicycle Repair
    Man!*. I think the former is the more ludicrous!

    Shane

    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Yeah, my arse you are!

    Shane

    Don't know about the rest of the world, but, Me has been on this machine
    since the day it hit the shelves and has never been
    're-installed'.......either "partially" or "full." Just refrain from
    putting garbage on it........a clean machine is a happy machine.
    Heirloom, old and clean

    "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Reinstalling Windows seems best, I am a computer repaiman,
    >
    > Yeah, my arse you are!
    >

    > Shane

    Hiya Heirloom where have you been hiding <g>
    Joan

    heirloom wrote:
    > Don't know about the rest of the world, but, Me has been on this machine
    > since the day it hit the shelves and has never been
    > 're-installed'.......either "partially" or "full." Just refrain from
    > putting garbage on it........a clean machine is a happy machine.
    > Heirloom, old and clean

    Not hiding, just painting........and painting.........and painting,
    aaauuuurrrrgh! The smell of latex has softened my brain. Had to take a
    break today....got up at 8:30a, had coffee, showered, ate breakfast and took
    a 4 hour nap, checked some email and feeling tired again. Did I mention I
    hate painting?
    Heirloom, old and caulking is okay

    "Joan Archer" <Joan@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hiya Heirloom where have you been hiding <g>
    > Joan
    >
    > heirloom wrote:
    > > Don't know about the rest of the world, but, Me has been on this machine
    > > since the day it hit the shelves and has never been
    > > 're-installed'.......either "partially" or "full." Just refrain from
    > > putting garbage on it........a clean machine is a happy machine.
    > > Heirloom, old and clean

    Yo Loon.......we need our master bedroom (incl. ceiling) done, plus the
    entire exterior. You want to come up here for a week or two? But wait till
    the snow and ice go away, grin. Latex only, please.

    Ron loves refinishing furniture, but he hates painting. And tradespeople
    won't return calls!! Hey....you two can work on the furniture together. He
    has finished 5 pieces in the past 2 weeks.......all *primitive
    Canadiana*.....which would seem quite New, not Primitive....to our UK
    friends....only 200 years old. (G)

    I also have a major leak in the roof......7 calls later and I finally got a
    roofing company who is going to call back (want to take bets?).....plus I
    need a new furnace......salesman in this case just dying to put me into
    major debt. About $3500 each for roof and furnace. Sob.....and I wanted to

    Cheers....FIggs

    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > Not hiding, just painting........and painting.........and painting,
    > aaauuuurrrrgh! The smell of latex has softened my brain. Had to take a
    > break today....got up at 8:30a, had coffee, showered, ate breakfast and
    took
    > a 4 hour nap, checked some email and feeling tired again. Did I mention I
    > hate painting?
    > Heirloom, old and caulking is okay
    >

    > "Joan Archer" <Joan@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Hiya Heirloom where have you been hiding <g>
    > > Joan
    > >
    > > heirloom wrote:
    > > > Don't know about the rest of the world, but, Me has been on this
    machine
    > > > since the day it hit the shelves and has never been
    > > > 're-installed'.......either "partially" or "full." Just refrain from
    > > > putting garbage on it........a clean machine is a happy machine.
    > > > Heirloom, old and clean

    <lol> I sympathise, it's not that long ago we did the same here
    bedroom/hall/living room, it's a killer <g> just got the bathroom/tiles
    to sort out now but don't know when <g>
    Joan

    heirloom wrote:
    > Not hiding, just painting........and painting.........and painting,
    > aaauuuurrrrgh! The smell of latex has softened my brain. Had to take a
    > break today....got up at 8:30a, had coffee, showered, ate breakfast and took
    > a 4 hour nap, checked some email and feeling tired again. Did I mention I
    > hate painting?
    > Heirloom, old and caulking is okay

    Hike to an auto body repair supplies store and get a mask which absorbs
    volatile chemicals, and the smell and headaches will disappear.
    Very effective and not too expensive. The absorbant canisters are
    replacable.

    Volatile chemicals and the human brain do not belong together.

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > Not hiding, just painting........and painting.........and painting,
    > aaauuuurrrrgh! The smell of latex has softened my brain. Had to take a
    > break today....got up at 8:30a, had coffee, showered, ate breakfast and
    took
    > a 4 hour nap, checked some email and feeling tired again. Did I mention I
    > hate painting?
    > Heirloom, old and caulking is okay

    <snip>

Windows Me Microsoft Windows