System restore never completed

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 5, 2005 12:43:03 AM

While having a number of problems (plug and play not working, 1 minute to
opening of control panel and files, I decided system restore (to one of 3
existing times-2 weeks span) might help. I tried several times but resore
never went to completion. I ctrl/alt/delete out of that and suddenly a lot of
operations are sluggish or not operational. What can I do next to go back to
a good operation?
Thanks
--
vince
Anonymous

How long did you wait for System Restore? - a restore operation can take
upwards of 20-30 minutes depending on a number of factors.
Crashing out of an SR operation in this way is not to be recommended, as a
variety of things may be going on at the time, and you could end up with a
mangled system!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"vince" <vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> While having a number of problems (plug and play not working, 1 minute to
> opening of control panel and files, I decided system restore (to one of 3
> existing times-2 weeks span) might help. I tried several times but resore
> never went to completion. I ctrl/alt/delete out of that and suddenly a lot
> of
> operations are sluggish or not operational. What can I do next to go back
> a good operation?
> Thanks
> --
> vince
February 5, 2005 12:08:30 PM

Noel:

In one case I waited 45 minutes but the slide bar never moved from its high
of about 55%.
At the moment I can use all of the computer; except this HP 8766 with CD
Writer Plus won't recognize any disk for writing either in CD Creator 4 or
Adaptec CD Wizard, or will it easily (first time plug-in)recognize a thumb
drive; or a CD in its DVD-ROM Drive.
Is there a relatively easy fix, or is this a case for a full
System Re-installation via Recovery Disks?
Before I do that however, is there a way for me to determine if the recently
added RAM (to the max of 768) is really working at its max? Trying to fine
tune since I didn't think the added RAM was true is the reason I got into the
situation in the first place.

Thanks

Vince

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> How long did you wait for System Restore? - a restore operation can take
> upwards of 20-30 minutes depending on a number of factors.
> Crashing out of an SR operation in this way is not to be recommended, as a
> variety of things may be going on at the time, and you could end up with a
> mangled system!
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "vince" <vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > While having a number of problems (plug and play not working, 1 minute to
> > opening of control panel and files, I decided system restore (to one of 3
> > existing times-2 weeks span) might help. I tried several times but resore
> > never went to completion. I ctrl/alt/delete out of that and suddenly a lot
> > of
> > operations are sluggish or not operational. What can I do next to go back
> > a good operation?
> > Thanks
> > --
> > vince

February 5, 2005 9:44:46 PM

AAHHHH!!!!
The light dawns!

With 768MB RAM, you need to make a setting in the SYSTEM.INI file.....

Under the [vcache] heading within the SYSTEM.INI file, add the following
line

MaxFileCache=512000

ensure that that is the ONLY entry under the heading, save the amended file,
and reboot - see if that clears your problems.

--

> Noel:
>
> In one case I waited 45 minutes but the slide bar never moved from its
> high
> of about 55%.
> At the moment I can use all of the computer; except this HP 8766 with CD
> Writer Plus won't recognize any disk for writing either in CD Creator 4 or
> Adaptec CD Wizard, or will it easily (first time plug-in)recognize a thumb
> drive; or a CD in its DVD-ROM Drive.
> Is there a relatively easy fix, or is this a case for a full
> System Re-installation via Recovery Disks?
> Before I do that however, is there a way for me to determine if the
> recently
> added RAM (to the max of 768) is really working at its max? Trying to
> fine
> tune since I didn't think the added RAM was true is the reason I got into
> the
> situation in the first place.
>
> Thanks
>
> Vince
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
>> How long did you wait for System Restore? - a restore operation can take
>> upwards of 20-30 minutes depending on a number of factors.
>> Crashing out of an SR operation in this way is not to be recommended, as
>> variety of things may be going on at the time, and you could end up with
>> mangled system!
>>

>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>> "vince" <vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > While having a number of problems (plug and play not working, 1 minute
>> > opening of control panel and files, I decided system restore (to one of
>> > 3
>> > existing times-2 weeks span) might help. I tried several times but
>> > resore
>> > never went to completion. I ctrl/alt/delete out of that and suddenly a
>> > lot
>> > of
>> > operations are sluggish or not operational. What can I do next to go
>> > back
>> > a good operation?
>> > Thanks
>> > --