System restore never completed

While having a number of problems (plug and play not working, 1 minute to
opening of control panel and files, I decided system restore (to one of 3
existing times-2 weeks span) might help. I tried several times but resore
never went to completion. I ctrl/alt/delete out of that and suddenly a lot of
operations are sluggish or not operational. What can I do next to go back to
a good operation?
Thanks
--
vince
4 answers Last reply

    How long did you wait for System Restore? - a restore operation can take
    upwards of 20-30 minutes depending on a number of factors.
    Crashing out of an SR operation in this way is not to be recommended, as a
    variety of things may be going on at the time, and you could end up with a
    mangled system!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "vince" <vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > While having a number of problems (plug and play not working, 1 minute to
    > opening of control panel and files, I decided system restore (to one of 3
    > existing times-2 weeks span) might help. I tried several times but resore
    > never went to completion. I ctrl/alt/delete out of that and suddenly a lot
    > of
    > operations are sluggish or not operational. What can I do next to go back
    > a good operation?
    > Thanks
    > --
    > vince

    Noel:

    In one case I waited 45 minutes but the slide bar never moved from its high
    of about 55%.
    At the moment I can use all of the computer; except this HP 8766 with CD
    Writer Plus won't recognize any disk for writing either in CD Creator 4 or
    Adaptec CD Wizard, or will it easily (first time plug-in)recognize a thumb
    drive; or a CD in its DVD-ROM Drive.
    Is there a relatively easy fix, or is this a case for a full
    System Re-installation via Recovery Disks?
    Before I do that however, is there a way for me to determine if the recently
    added RAM (to the max of 768) is really working at its max? Trying to fine
    tune since I didn't think the added RAM was true is the reason I got into the
    situation in the first place.

    Thanks

    Vince

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > How long did you wait for System Restore? - a restore operation can take
    > upwards of 20-30 minutes depending on a number of factors.
    > Crashing out of an SR operation in this way is not to be recommended, as a
    > variety of things may be going on at the time, and you could end up with a
    > mangled system!
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "vince" <vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > While having a number of problems (plug and play not working, 1 minute to
    > > opening of control panel and files, I decided system restore (to one of 3
    > > existing times-2 weeks span) might help. I tried several times but resore
    > > never went to completion. I ctrl/alt/delete out of that and suddenly a lot
    > > of
    > > operations are sluggish or not operational. What can I do next to go back
    > > a good operation?
    > > Thanks
    > > --
    > > vince

    AAHHHH!!!!
    The light dawns!

    With 768MB RAM, you need to make a setting in the SYSTEM.INI file.....

    Under the [vcache] heading within the SYSTEM.INI file, add the following
    line

    MaxFileCache=512000

    ensure that that is the ONLY entry under the heading, save the amended file,
    and reboot - see if that clears your problems.

    --

    > Noel:
    >
    > In one case I waited 45 minutes but the slide bar never moved from its
    > high
    > of about 55%.
    > At the moment I can use all of the computer; except this HP 8766 with CD
    > Writer Plus won't recognize any disk for writing either in CD Creator 4 or
    > Adaptec CD Wizard, or will it easily (first time plug-in)recognize a thumb
    > drive; or a CD in its DVD-ROM Drive.
    > Is there a relatively easy fix, or is this a case for a full
    > System Re-installation via Recovery Disks?
    > Before I do that however, is there a way for me to determine if the
    > recently
    > added RAM (to the max of 768) is really working at its max? Trying to
    > fine
    > tune since I didn't think the added RAM was true is the reason I got into
    > the
    > situation in the first place.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Vince
    >
    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    >> How long did you wait for System Restore? - a restore operation can take
    >> upwards of 20-30 minutes depending on a number of factors.
    >> Crashing out of an SR operation in this way is not to be recommended, as
    >> variety of things may be going on at the time, and you could end up with
    >> mangled system!
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "vince" <vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > While having a number of problems (plug and play not working, 1 minute
    >> > opening of control panel and files, I decided system restore (to one of
    >> > 3
    >> > existing times-2 weeks span) might help. I tried several times but
    >> > resore
    >> > never went to completion. I ctrl/alt/delete out of that and suddenly a
    >> > lot
    >> > of
    >> > operations are sluggish or not operational. What can I do next to go
    >> > back
    >> > a good operation?
    >> > Thanks
    >> > --
    >> > vince

    Noel:

    Thanks!
    I'll give that a try.

    Vince

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > AAHHHH!!!!
    > The light dawns!
    >
    > With 768MB RAM, you need to make a setting in the SYSTEM.INI file.....
    >
    > Under the [vcache] heading within the SYSTEM.INI file, add the following
    > line
    >
    > MaxFileCache=512000
    >
    > ensure that that is the ONLY entry under the heading, save the amended file,
    > and reboot - see if that clears your problems.
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "vince" <vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Noel:
    > >
    > > In one case I waited 45 minutes but the slide bar never moved from its
    > > high
    > > of about 55%.
    > > At the moment I can use all of the computer; except this HP 8766 with CD
    > > Writer Plus won't recognize any disk for writing either in CD Creator 4 or
    > > Adaptec CD Wizard, or will it easily (first time plug-in)recognize a thumb
    > > drive; or a CD in its DVD-ROM Drive.
    > > Is there a relatively easy fix, or is this a case for a full
    > > System Re-installation via Recovery Disks?
    > > Before I do that however, is there a way for me to determine if the
    > > recently
    > > added RAM (to the max of 768) is really working at its max? Trying to
    > > fine
    > > tune since I didn't think the added RAM was true is the reason I got into
    > > the
    > > situation in the first place.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Vince
    > >
    > > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    > >
    > >> How long did you wait for System Restore? - a restore operation can take
    > >> upwards of 20-30 minutes depending on a number of factors.
    > >> Crashing out of an SR operation in this way is not to be recommended, as
    > >> variety of things may be going on at the time, and you could end up with
    > >> mangled system!
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >>
    > >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >>
    > >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    > >>
    > >> "vince" <vince@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Plug And Play Microsoft System Restore Windows