Can I recover my DVD ROM drive ?

Archived from groups: alt.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.video.dvd,alt.dvd.video,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi,

I have one DVD ROM drive which can be detected by my PC on every
boot-up. However, as I insert CD into it and try to view CD's content,
DOS always reported drive failure. I'm sure the CDs are all normal
because they can be read in other PC's DVD drive.

I have tried using LENS CLEANER to clean the drives. However, the
situation doesn't get improved.

I would like to know what additional thing I can do before I throw it
away as "rubbish" ?

Tks:(

goolu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one DVD ROM drive which can be detected by my PC on every
> boot-up. However, as I insert CD into it and try to view CD's content,
> DOS always reported drive failure. I'm sure the CDs are all normal
> because they can be read in other PC's DVD drive.
>
> I have tried using LENS CLEANER to clean the drives. However, the
> situation doesn't get improved.
>
> I would like to know what additional thing I can do before I throw it
> away as "rubbish" ?
>
> Tks:(

Remove the drive and check the pins on the IDE port on the back of the
drive. My friend DVD drive was doing almost the same thing, and one of the
pins was pushed in. He pulled the pin out a litte and it work now. If
its something else, most likely it rubbish, since it most likely a
internal problem with the drive. DVD drives are check, you can get a DVD
burner for $80 or $90 bux today, and readers are even cheaper. My DVD
reader/CDRW cost $50 and that was over a year ago.

goolu wrote:

> I have tried using LENS CLEANER to clean the drives. However, the
> situation doesn't get improved.

Lens cleaners are toys, mostly useless. It takes five to ten years
before lenses in optical drives get that dirty that a cleaning _might_
be needed at all (unless you're a heavy smoker) and if it is needed, you
get it less expensive and with much better results by simply opening the
drive and gently (!) cleaning the lens with a q-tip and some pure
alcohol (100%).

And don't expect the optical pickup (the laser system) of a cheap drive
to last the same 20 years as the one of a quality product anyway.

> I would like to know what additional thing I can do before I throw it
> away as "rubbish" ?

Probably nothing.

Archived from groups: alt.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.video.dvd,alt.dvd.video,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Make sure there is a device driver installed for the drive.

"goolu" <goo_lu1@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have one DVD ROM drive which can be detected by my PC on every
> boot-up. However, as I insert CD into it and try to view CD's content,
> DOS always reported drive failure. I'm sure the CDs are all normal
> because they can be read in other PC's DVD drive.
>
> I have tried using LENS CLEANER to clean the drives. However, the
> situation doesn't get improved.
>
> I would like to know what additional thing I can do before I throw it
> away as "rubbish" ?
>
> Tks:(

Archived from groups: alt.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.video.dvd,alt.dvd.video,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi everyone,

I have a NEC ND2100AD on a WinXP machine (sp-2), and it has an odd
problem. I'm trying to install some software from Canon, but the
machine doesn't even recognize the cd as being there.

When I first put in, my curser turns to a icon of a CD for a moment,
then nothing... even in window explorer it shows nothing in the D:
drive.

The CD ROM works perfect in another computer.

WHATS UP??

THANKS!
James, Seattle

"RainLover" <SP-AMB-LOCKrainlover@raincity.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a NEC ND2100AD on a WinXP machine (sp-2), and it has an odd
> problem. I'm trying to install some software from Canon, but the
> machine doesn't even recognize the cd as being there.
>
> When I first put in, my curser turns to a icon of a CD for a moment,
> then nothing... even in window explorer it shows nothing in the D:
> drive.
>
> The CD ROM works perfect in another computer.
>
> WHATS UP??

The next test is to see what cds or other disks will run in your drive if
any or if it is just the canon cd.

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:04:11 GMT, "Mr Jessop" <anonymouse@isp.com>
wrote:

>"RainLover" <SP-AMB-LOCKrainlover@raincity.com> wrote in message
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have a NEC ND2100AD on a WinXP machine (sp-2), and it has an odd
>> problem. I'm trying to install some software from Canon, but the
>> machine doesn't even recognize the cd as being there.
>>
>> When I first put in, my curser turns to a icon of a CD for a moment,
>> then nothing... even in window explorer it shows nothing in the D:
>> drive.
>>
>> The CD ROM works perfect in another computer.
>>
>> WHATS UP??
>
>The next test is to see what cds or other disks will run in your drive if
>any or if it is just the canon cd.

Yes, every CD, CD-ROM, and DVD work fine in my drive except for this
Canon disk.... which the computer doesn't even see as THERE.

james, Seattle

Archived from groups: alt.cd-rom,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom,alt.video.dvd,alt.dvd.video,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Tray making a copy of that disc in another machine and see if the NEC can
read the copy.