Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Weird video problem - need help.

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 13, 2004 12:55:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi there,

I wonder if anybody can help. My symptoms are that my monitor displays
goes black (as though the video signal has stopped) randomly for a few
seconds and then comes back. Occasionally it is long enough for the
monitor to go into standby mode so fairly certain the signal is ceasing.

I have tried different monitors (and video cables) same result,
different video card same result, stripped out the machine (RIMMS, Power
cables, cards etc.), cleaned and dusted etc. but still have the same
problem (although this last action seemed to cure it for a couple of
weeks - but now it's back!).

Bizarrely I can also get this problem when in the BIOS, along with
screen corruption so it's not a driver/software issue.

The problem does appear at random, this AM it occurred 45mins after
switch on but with no processes running as such so the machine wasn't
being hit hard. Also had large domestic fans blowing over the
motherboard to see if it was overheating but this make no difference
either!

I'd be really grateful for any opinions on this. Motherboard? PSU?
Running out of suspects! Not exactly a newbie here but this one has me
stumped!

At the stage I likely need to replace a component - but I don't know
which one - arrgghhhh!!! Really appreciate some help.

Spec: P4, 2.53Ghz/533FSB, 2x256Mb RDRAM, GeForce4 Ti4600, WinXP SP2 all
on an Intel D850EMV2 mobo.

Many thanks

--
Steve

More about : weird video problem

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 13, 2004 12:55:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Steve Reeves wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I wonder if anybody can help. My symptoms are that my monitor displays
> goes black (as though the video signal has stopped) randomly for a few
> seconds and then comes back. Occasionally it is long enough for the
> monitor to go into standby mode so fairly certain the signal is ceasing.
>
> I have tried different monitors (and video cables) same result,
> different video card same result, stripped out the machine (RIMMS, Power
> cables, cards etc.), cleaned and dusted etc. but still have the same
> problem (although this last action seemed to cure it for a couple of
> weeks - but now it's back!).
>
> Bizarrely I can also get this problem when in the BIOS, along with
> screen corruption so it's not a driver/software issue.
>
> The problem does appear at random, this AM it occurred 45mins after
> switch on but with no processes running as such so the machine wasn't
> being hit hard. Also had large domestic fans blowing over the
> motherboard to see if it was overheating but this make no difference
> either!
>
> I'd be really grateful for any opinions on this. Motherboard? PSU?
> Running out of suspects! Not exactly a newbie here but this one has me
> stumped!
>
> At the stage I likely need to replace a component - but I don't know
> which one - arrgghhhh!!! Really appreciate some help.
>
> Spec: P4, 2.53Ghz/533FSB, 2x256Mb RDRAM, GeForce4 Ti4600, WinXP SP2 all
> on an Intel D850EMV2 mobo.
>
> Many thanks
>

Check your BIOS power settings. Maybe you've got a monitor timeout set.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 13, 2004 3:54:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>Check your BIOS power settings. Maybe you've got a monitor timeout set.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the BIOS settings are fine. The
problem, when it occurs, often manifests itself as the monitor going off
for a couple of seconds, back on for a second, then back off for a
second, back on, back off and then comes back on and settles down.

Blooming odd :) 

--
Steve
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 13, 2004 3:54:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Steve Reeves wrote:

>> Check your BIOS power settings. Maybe you've got a monitor timeout set.
>
>
> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the BIOS settings are fine. The
> problem, when it occurs, often manifests itself as the monitor going off
> for a couple of seconds, back on for a second, then back off for a
> second, back on, back off and then comes back on and settles down.
>
> Blooming odd :) 
>

Ah. Well, that sounds like a bad monitor cable with a loose wire.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 13, 2004 8:05:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>Ah. Well, that sounds like a bad monitor cable with a loose wire.
It does I'd agree. Except that I've swapped out the monitors and cables!

Thanks

--
Steve
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 13, 2004 8:05:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Steve Reeves wrote:

>> Ah. Well, that sounds like a bad monitor cable with a loose wire.
>
> It does I'd agree. Except that I've swapped out the monitors and cables!
>
> Thanks
>

Well, in that case it sounds like gremlins. LOL

I can't think of any software that would do that but I suppose reinstalling
the driver would be a good idea just to take that off the table. Also
Windows power settings, which monitor Windows thinks it is, and settings in
any 'special' software the driver installed for the video card and/or monitor.

The next step would be to re-seat the video card, check the cooling fan, if
it has one, and, if none of that helps, swap in an alternate video card to
see if it's the card itself.
November 13, 2004 9:15:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

guess you checked all power supply cables, It could be a bad MB agp slot.
Well not actually the slot but the chip set controller. It could be a bad
power supply or one that is going south. good luck
"Steve Reeves" <steve@stever.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:jdCeQGBJodlBFwDk@stever.demon.co.uk...
> Hi there,
>
> I wonder if anybody can help. My symptoms are that my monitor displays
> goes black (as though the video signal has stopped) randomly for a few
> seconds and then comes back. Occasionally it is long enough for the
> monitor to go into standby mode so fairly certain the signal is ceasing.
>
> I have tried different monitors (and video cables) same result, different
> video card same result, stripped out the machine (RIMMS, Power cables,
> cards etc.), cleaned and dusted etc. but still have the same problem
> (although this last action seemed to cure it for a couple of weeks - but
> now it's back!).
>
> Bizarrely I can also get this problem when in the BIOS, along with screen
> corruption so it's not a driver/software issue.
>
> The problem does appear at random, this AM it occurred 45mins after switch
> on but with no processes running as such so the machine wasn't being hit
> hard. Also had large domestic fans blowing over the motherboard to see if
> it was overheating but this make no difference either!
>
> I'd be really grateful for any opinions on this. Motherboard? PSU? Running
> out of suspects! Not exactly a newbie here but this one has me stumped!
>
> At the stage I likely need to replace a component - but I don't know which
> one - arrgghhhh!!! Really appreciate some help.
>
> Spec: P4, 2.53Ghz/533FSB, 2x256Mb RDRAM, GeForce4 Ti4600, WinXP SP2 all on
> an Intel D850EMV2 mobo.
>
> Many thanks
>
> --
> Steve
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2004 12:29:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I've got exactly the same problem on an Asus A7N8X ver 1.04 for one year and
a half. Never had a clue. Now I'm tired asking averywhere and reading
forums. The display goes blank for one second, no more, only once when it
occurs whatever I'm under DOS or Win98SE. I changed the PSU for a 475W
Enermax, I swapped the monitor, tried different cables on the two vid ports
and both monitor's one (BNC & VGA). Noway.
I decided to live with it.

This post won't bring help but it will show you're not alone in this dark
(for 1 sec ! ) world.



"Steve Reeves" <steve@stever.demon.co.uk> a écrit dans le message news:
jdCeQGBJodlBFwDk@stever.demon.co.uk...
> Hi there,
>
> I wonder if anybody can help. My symptoms are that my monitor displays
> goes black (as though the video signal has stopped) randomly for a few
> seconds and then comes back. Occasionally it is long enough for the
> monitor to go into standby mode so fairly certain the signal is ceasing.
>
> I have tried different monitors (and video cables) same result,
> different video card same result, stripped out the machine (RIMMS, Power
> cables, cards etc.), cleaned and dusted etc. but still have the same
> problem (although this last action seemed to cure it for a couple of
> weeks - but now it's back!).
>
> Bizarrely I can also get this problem when in the BIOS, along with
> screen corruption so it's not a driver/software issue.
>
> The problem does appear at random, this AM it occurred 45mins after
> switch on but with no processes running as such so the machine wasn't
> being hit hard. Also had large domestic fans blowing over the
> motherboard to see if it was overheating but this make no difference
> either!
>
> I'd be really grateful for any opinions on this. Motherboard? PSU?
> Running out of suspects! Not exactly a newbie here but this one has me
> stumped!
>
> At the stage I likely need to replace a component - but I don't know
> which one - arrgghhhh!!! Really appreciate some help.
>
> Spec: P4, 2.53Ghz/533FSB, 2x256Mb RDRAM, GeForce4 Ti4600, WinXP SP2 all
> on an Intel D850EMV2 mobo.
>
> Many thanks
>
> --
> Steve
November 14, 2004 12:29:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

have you guys set a 'user' color setting in the monitors OSD?

"Simon Cussonnet" <zzz@zorglub.net> wrote in message
news:41966e26$0$7526$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
> I've got exactly the same problem on an Asus A7N8X ver 1.04 for one
year and
> a half. Never had a clue. Now I'm tired asking averywhere and
reading
> forums. The display goes blank for one second, no more, only once
when it
> occurs whatever I'm under DOS or Win98SE. I changed the PSU for a
475W
> Enermax, I swapped the monitor, tried different cables on the two
vid ports
> and both monitor's one (BNC & VGA). Noway.
> I decided to live with it.
>
> This post won't bring help but it will show you're not alone in this
dark
> (for 1 sec ! ) world.
>
>
>
> "Steve Reeves" <steve@stever.demon.co.uk> a écrit dans le message
news:
> jdCeQGBJodlBFwDk@stever.demon.co.uk...
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I wonder if anybody can help. My symptoms are that my monitor
displays
> > goes black (as though the video signal has stopped) randomly for a
few
> > seconds and then comes back. Occasionally it is long enough for
the
> > monitor to go into standby mode so fairly certain the signal is
ceasing.
> >
> > I have tried different monitors (and video cables) same result,
> > different video card same result, stripped out the machine (RIMMS,
Power
> > cables, cards etc.), cleaned and dusted etc. but still have the
same
> > problem (although this last action seemed to cure it for a couple
of
> > weeks - but now it's back!).
> >
> > Bizarrely I can also get this problem when in the BIOS, along with
> > screen corruption so it's not a driver/software issue.
> >
> > The problem does appear at random, this AM it occurred 45mins
after
> > switch on but with no processes running as such so the machine
wasn't
> > being hit hard. Also had large domestic fans blowing over the
> > motherboard to see if it was overheating but this make no
difference
> > either!
> >
> > I'd be really grateful for any opinions on this. Motherboard? PSU?
> > Running out of suspects! Not exactly a newbie here but this one
has me
> > stumped!
> >
> > At the stage I likely need to replace a component - but I don't
know
> > which one - arrgghhhh!!! Really appreciate some help.
> >
> > Spec: P4, 2.53Ghz/533FSB, 2x256Mb RDRAM, GeForce4 Ti4600, WinXP
SP2 all
> > on an Intel D850EMV2 mobo.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > --
> > Steve
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2004 2:18:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Yes, I have .

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> a écrit dans le message news:
10pcsoihkudk29e@corp.supernews.com...
> have you guys set a 'user' color setting in the monitors OSD?
>
> "Simon Cussonnet" <zzz@zorglub.net> wrote in message
> news:41966e26$0$7526$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
> > I've got exactly the same problem on an Asus A7N8X ver 1.04 for one
> year and
> > a half. Never had a clue. Now I'm tired asking averywhere and
> reading
> > forums. The display goes blank for one second, no more, only once
> when it
> > occurs whatever I'm under DOS or Win98SE. I changed the PSU for a
> 475W
> > Enermax, I swapped the monitor, tried different cables on the two
> vid ports
> > and both monitor's one (BNC & VGA). Noway.
> > I decided to live with it.
> >
> > This post won't bring help but it will show you're not alone in this
> dark
> > (for 1 sec ! ) world.
> >
> >
> >
> > "Steve Reeves" <steve@stever.demon.co.uk> a écrit dans le message
> news:
> > jdCeQGBJodlBFwDk@stever.demon.co.uk...
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I wonder if anybody can help. My symptoms are that my monitor
> displays
> > > goes black (as though the video signal has stopped) randomly for a
> few
> > > seconds and then comes back. Occasionally it is long enough for
> the
> > > monitor to go into standby mode so fairly certain the signal is
> ceasing.
> > >
> > > I have tried different monitors (and video cables) same result,
> > > different video card same result, stripped out the machine (RIMMS,
> Power
> > > cables, cards etc.), cleaned and dusted etc. but still have the
> same
> > > problem (although this last action seemed to cure it for a couple
> of
> > > weeks - but now it's back!).
> > >
> > > Bizarrely I can also get this problem when in the BIOS, along with
> > > screen corruption so it's not a driver/software issue.
> > >
> > > The problem does appear at random, this AM it occurred 45mins
> after
> > > switch on but with no processes running as such so the machine
> wasn't
> > > being hit hard. Also had large domestic fans blowing over the
> > > motherboard to see if it was overheating but this make no
> difference
> > > either!
> > >
> > > I'd be really grateful for any opinions on this. Motherboard? PSU?
> > > Running out of suspects! Not exactly a newbie here but this one
> has me
> > > stumped!
> > >
> > > At the stage I likely need to replace a component - but I don't
> know
> > > which one - arrgghhhh!!! Really appreciate some help.
> > >
> > > Spec: P4, 2.53Ghz/533FSB, 2x256Mb RDRAM, GeForce4 Ti4600, WinXP
> SP2 all
> > > on an Intel D850EMV2 mobo.
> > >
> > > Many thanks
> > >
> > > --
> > > Steve
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2004 9:18:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Steve Reeves:

> I wonder if anybody can help. My symptoms are that my monitor
> displays goes black (as though the video signal has stopped) randomly
> for a few seconds and then comes back. Occasionally it is long enough
> for the monitor to go into standby mode so fairly certain the signal
> is ceasing.

I'm not sure you have the same problem I had but it sounds like it. I
swore it was a hardware problem because I also experienced the problem
in bios and in DOS and Linux environments, so I can't explain why the
solution below worked, but it did. Since you have an Nvidia card, try
the following:
================================================================== "I
was also experiencing these annoying sync-problems. The cause for this
lies in nvcpl.dll - a nvidia dll, which scans for connected TVs.

The first time the dll is loaded, is at windows-bootup
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Microsoft->Windows->CurrentVersion->Run).
This causes the first flicker and unfortunately the auto-startup-entry
can't be deleted.

The flicker when right-clicking on video-files is caused by a
shell-extension, which the nvidia-driver installs for all types of
video-files. This shell-extension calls nvcpl.dll everytime you right
click a video file to scan for connected TVs. If a TV is present, the
shell extension shows up in the context-menu as "Play on My TV". I
never tested this, but I suppose when you click it, the video is
directly shown on your connected TV.

This could have been implemented a lot better, this f...ing
sync-flicker is driving you crazy when browsing a video archive.

After scanning the registry, I found the key responsible for the shell
extension. Just search for "PlayOnMyTV" in the registry and you will
find some entries under "shellex" (shell extension). These entries
contain an identifier, {FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516} in my
case, I'm not sure if this identifier is static or created dynamically,
so in your registry, it might be another number. Now copy the
identifier and search for it in the registry; delete every occurence
when it's connected to video-file formats (.avi, .mpg, .mpeg and so on)
and afterwards the "PlayOnMyTV"-shellextensions."
================================================================== --
Mac Cool
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2004 9:20:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Simon Cussonnet:

> This post won't bring help but it will show you're not alone in this
> dark (for 1 sec ! ) world.

Try the solution I posted to Steve, it sounds like you've tried everything
else.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2004 11:18:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear you share the same problem as I do :(  Is this on an Nvidia
card also?

The fact we're on different mobos might be interesting/useful. It is
possible that the AGP power supply is faulty on both boards though. Do
you get any other symptons, crashes etc.?

Good to know I'm not alone though!! :) 

Steve

>I've got exactly the same problem on an Asus A7N8X ver 1.04 for one year and
>a half. Never had a clue. Now I'm tired asking averywhere and reading
>forums. The display goes blank for one second, no more, only once when it
>occurs whatever I'm under DOS or Win98SE. I changed the PSU for a 475W
>Enermax, I swapped the monitor, tried different cables on the two vid ports
>and both monitor's one (BNC & VGA). Noway.
>I decided to live with it.
>
>This post won't bring help but it will show you're not alone in this dark
>(for 1 sec ! ) world.
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2004 11:20:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Cheers Jim, I hear what you're saying. Having the same thoughts. Mac
Cool has posted a suggestion in this thread so I'm going to give that a
whirl before I contemplate replacing the mobo!

Is there anyway of testing the chip set controller? For the PSU I
beleive there are ATX specifications that must be met - so I should be
able to find somebody to check it out.

Thanks
Steve

>guess you checked all power supply cables, It could be a bad MB agp
>slot. Well not actually the slot but the chip set controller. It could
>be a bad power supply or one that is going south. good luck
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2004 11:21:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>have you guys set a 'user' color setting in the monitors OSD?

Indeed I have! How might this affect the problem?

--
Steve
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2004 11:29:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi Mac,

Thanks for this. I have followed your instructions (the identifier
{FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516} is the same on my machine by the
way so it looks static) and now rebooted. There are 5 references to this
identifier left - all attached to Nvidia Control Panel thingys - left
them alone :) 

It'll be a while before I know if the problem is fixed. But my GeForce
has VIVO (never used it) so you may well be right! The GeForce itself is
over 2 years old (bought it when it was state of the art :)  but the
problem has only recently shown up. Maybe an issue with the later
certified NvIdia drivers.

I suppose it might be possible to cause the BIOS to exhibit this problem
if the software makes a video card BIOS setting change (I know they have
BIOS's - but whether they can be messed with or not I have no idea!).

Interesting :) 

Thanks again Mac, will let you know how we go.

Steve


>I'm not sure you have the same problem I had but it sounds like it. I
>swore it was a hardware problem because I also experienced the problem
>in bios and in DOS and Linux environments, so I can't explain why the
>solution below worked, but it did. Since you have an Nvidia card, try
>the following:
>================================================================== "I
November 14, 2004 6:33:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Steve Reeves" <steve@stever.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:jdCeQGBJodlBFwDk@stever.demon.co.uk...
> Hi there,
>
> I wonder if anybody can help. My symptoms are that my monitor displays
> goes black (as though the video signal has stopped) randomly for a few

Bad power cable? Or bad electric wall box?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2004 9:27:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

- Sometimes the video is locally garbaged when I marh an option within a
menu (typical within Harraps)
- Small green, red or yellow dots (pixels) appear ramdomly elsewhere on the
screen
- Sometimes, I've to refresh the display (E:\WIN98\RUNDLL32.EXE
user,repaintscreen) to recover a correct display.
Not too much bothering.

On the other hand,
- It appears quite often that I've no video at boot. As soon as I can hear
the beep after the post I must turn On the monitor otherwise, waiting for
too long, I can't manage to get the video without turning the PC Off then
On. This pretty much anoying because in some occurrences I had to turn Off
and On the monitor 3 or 4 times in order to get a display.

My display adapter is a Leadtech Winfast A180 DDR TDH MyVivo with two video
ports (Standard VGA + DVI), Video in & Video out sockets, 64 MB RAM. It's an
AGP8x V 3.0 equipped with an Nvidia GeForce 4 chip.
The Monitor is an 19" Liyama Vision Master Pro 450 with a standars VGA port
and 5 BNCs.
What I can say is that the PSU is out of suspicion because I had the
promblem very soon, It failed 8 months later, I replaced temporarilly it by
a second one while the dealer gave me a more powerful waiting for the return
of the original one. Different powers but same behaviours.
Dunno how the AGP voltage is elaborated.

May be, the fact I joined you was a good motivation for the helpers !

Cheers


"Steve Reeves" <steve@stever.demon.co.uk> a écrit dans le message news:
YB$QHBB+SxlBFwEh@stever.demon.co.uk...
> Hi Simon,
>
> Sorry to hear you share the same problem as I do :(  Is this on an Nvidia
> card also?
>
> The fact we're on different mobos might be interesting/useful. It is
> possible that the AGP power supply is faulty on both boards though. Do
> you get any other symptons, crashes etc.?
>
> Good to know I'm not alone though!! :) 
>
> Steve
>
> >I've got exactly the same problem on an Asus A7N8X ver 1.04 for one year
and
> >a half. Never had a clue. Now I'm tired asking averywhere and reading
> >forums. The display goes blank for one second, no more, only once when it
> >occurs whatever I'm under DOS or Win98SE. I changed the PSU for a 475W
> >Enermax, I swapped the monitor, tried different cables on the two vid
ports
> >and both monitor's one (BNC & VGA). Noway.
> >I decided to live with it.
> >
> >This post won't bring help but it will show you're not alone in this dark
> >(for 1 sec ! ) world.
> >
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2004 10:28:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Mac Cool" <Mac@2cool.com> a écrit dans le message news:
Xns95A1DA8DF7B2MacCool@24.25.9.41...
> Simon Cussonnet:
>
> > This post won't bring help but it will show you're not alone in this
> > dark (for 1 sec ! ) world.
>
> Try the solution I posted to Steve, it sounds like you've tried everything
> else.
> --
> Mac Cool


Thanks for the help,

In fact, I've already disabled nvcpl.dll a long time ago, because it was
causing unstability under Win98SE (ISTR) running Nero.
I took the opportunity to clean also other non desired programs.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-]

[...]
"OWCCardbusTray"="ocbtray.exe"
"WinFast Schedule"="E:\\My_Programs\\Multimedia\\WinFast WFTVFM\\WFWIZ.exe"
"WinFoxV2"="E:\\WIN98\\SYSTEM\\WF2K.EXE"
"WinFast2KLoadDefault"="rundll32.exe wf2kcpl.dll,DllLoadDefaultSettings"
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE E:\\WIN98\\SYSTEM\\\\NVCpl.dll,NvStartup"
"nwiz"="nwiz.exe /install"
"nForce Tray Options"="sstray.exe /r"



Then I looked for the value you said (PlayOnMyTV). Unfortunately it's not in
my Registry.


I found two other occurrences of nvcpl.dll :
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{67E0E3C0-3068-11D3-8BD1-00104B6F7516}]
@="NVIDIA CPL EXTENSION"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{67E0E3C0-3068-11D3-8BD1-00104B6F7516}\InProcServer
32]
@="E:\\WIN98\\SYSTEM\\nvcpl.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{67E0E3C0-3068-11D3-8BD1-00104B6F
7516}]
@="NVIDIA CPL EXTENSION"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{67E0E3C0-3068-11D3-8BD1-00104B6F
7516}\InProcServer32]
@="E:\\WIN98\\SYSTEM\\nvcpl.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

Dunno if this helps the diagnostic.

Reading again your post, if, I'm understanding correctly, your problems were
occuring when right-clicking on video files.
The difference with me is that mine occur when i do _nothing_ !

Thanks again
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 15, 2004 1:12:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Stop deleting files from your system cause when you ever re-install
even if its a year later you'd have to do the same thing over and over
again,

I think it has nothing to do with NVIDIA cause I have one, and
millions of others too that don't have the problem....


I think that one of your RAM modules is f****d up,

Is your system also restarting by it self sometimes ? blue screen
error messages , windows errors too.

try to do a memory test or get 1 module by one out to
test.........memtest is a program you can use......do a
GooooooooOOOogle and you'll find it.........................

Greets from the

Tactical
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 15, 2004 3:05:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Steve Reeves:

> The GeForce itself is
> over 2 years old (bought it when it was state of the art :)  but the
> problem has only recently shown up.

I had the problem on a Geforce 3 Ti200, parted that machine out because I
couldn't fix the problem. Then after 2 years the problem showed up with my
Geforce 4 Ti4200, again I couldn't find a fix so I bought a 5900XT. The
5900XT had the same problem and FINALLY I found the solution that I posted
here. Nvidia really needs to address this problem.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 15, 2004 3:11:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Simon Cussonnet:

> Reading again your post, if, I'm understanding correctly, your
> problems were occuring when right-clicking on video files.
> The difference with me is that mine occur when i do _nothing_ !

It would happen at random and when I would right click on large video
files. I had this problem on 3 different Nvidia cards before I found the
solution.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 15, 2004 10:24:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Steve

If you are interested , I cannot explain all to you so check out this
site...

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1565

fact is people do all kind of hardware checks and tests..... take out
all their cards try other cards but still they hav the same problem
and think that their ugly motherboard is faulty, but they never check
RAM modules..

Here is the link for memtest http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

let me know if the problem was as I said
even if MEMtest will not give any errors try to get out on module by
one to test anyway

Greets from the

Tactical
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 15, 2004 11:19:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

>Stop deleting files from your system cause when you ever re-install
>even if its a year later you'd have to do the same thing over and over
>again,
Yeah the thought had occurred :( 

>I think it has nothing to do with NVIDIA cause I have one, and
>millions of others too that don't have the problem....
True - but there are millions of configs out there and with mine being a
custom PC (so to speak) there wouldn't be millions like it. But I take
your point all the same.

>I think that one of your RAM modules is f****d up,
>
>Is your system also restarting by it self sometimes ? blue screen
>error messages , windows errors too.
No the system seems fine. When the problem occurs the rest of the system
and the applications running are still OK.

Interesting you say about memory being the problem. Weird thing is that
the problem did seem to go away for a while after I re-seated the RIMMS.
To be honest I assumed this was coincidence as the PC was not crashing
etc.

Why do you say the memory is causing this? I'd be very interested in
your reasoning.

I will download memtest and do as you say.

Thanks
Steve


>
>try to do a memory test or get 1 module by one out to
>test.........memtest is a program you can use......do a
>GooooooooOOOogle and you'll find it.........................
>
>Greets from the
>
>Tactical
>

--
Steve
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 15, 2004 11:21:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi Mac,

Unfortunately my problem re-occurred after I followed your instructions
so it's not looking like the same problem as yours :( 

Many thanks for posting though, really appreciate your time.
Steve


>I had the problem on a Geforce 3 Ti200, parted that machine out because I
>couldn't fix the problem. Then after 2 years the problem showed up with my
>Geforce 4 Ti4200, again I couldn't find a fix so I bought a 5900XT. The
>5900XT had the same problem and FINALLY I found the solution that I posted
>here. Nvidia really needs to address this problem.

--
Steve
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 15, 2004 11:24:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi Simon

Cheers for the reply.

My problem doesn't seem as severe as yours. Never have booting issues
etc. I do have Iiyama monitors though - I don't think they are the cause
however.

Steve

In message <4197d1f1$0$8274$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>, Simon Cussonnet
<zzz@zorglub.net> writes
>- Sometimes the video is locally garbaged when I marh an option within a
>menu (typical within Harraps)
>- Small green, red or yellow dots (pixels) appear ramdomly elsewhere on the
>screen
>- Sometimes, I've to refresh the display (E:\WIN98\RUNDLL32.EXE
>user,repaintscreen) to recover a correct display.
>Not too much bothering.
>
>On the other hand,
>- It appears quite often that I've no video at boot. As soon as I can hear
>the beep after the post I must turn On the monitor otherwise, waiting for
>too long, I can't manage to get the video without turning the PC Off then
>On. This pretty much anoying because in some occurrences I had to turn Off
>and On the monitor 3 or 4 times in order to get a display.
>
>My display adapter is a Leadtech Winfast A180 DDR TDH MyVivo with two video
>ports (Standard VGA + DVI), Video in & Video out sockets, 64 MB RAM. It's an
>AGP8x V 3.0 equipped with an Nvidia GeForce 4 chip.
>The Monitor is an 19" Liyama Vision Master Pro 450 with a standars VGA port
>and 5 BNCs.
>What I can say is that the PSU is out of suspicion because I had the
>promblem very soon, It failed 8 months later, I replaced temporarilly it by
>a second one while the dealer gave me a more powerful waiting for the return
>of the original one. Different powers but same behaviours.
>Dunno how the AGP voltage is elaborated.
>
>May be, the fact I joined you was a good motivation for the helpers !
>
>Cheers
>
>
>"Steve Reeves" <steve@stever.demon.co.uk> a écrit dans le message news:
>YB$QHBB+SxlBFwEh@stever.demon.co.uk...
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> Sorry to hear you share the same problem as I do :(  Is this on an Nvidia
>> card also?
>>
>> The fact we're on different mobos might be interesting/useful. It is
>> possible that the AGP power supply is faulty on both boards though. Do
>> you get any other symptons, crashes etc.?
>>
>> Good to know I'm not alone though!! :) 
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> >I've got exactly the same problem on an Asus A7N8X ver 1.04 for one year
>and
>> >a half. Never had a clue. Now I'm tired asking averywhere and reading
>> >forums. The display goes blank for one second, no more, only once when it
>> >occurs whatever I'm under DOS or Win98SE. I changed the PSU for a 475W
>> >Enermax, I swapped the monitor, tried different cables on the two vid
>ports
>> >and both monitor's one (BNC & VGA). Noway.
>> >I decided to live with it.
>> >
>> >This post won't bring help but it will show you're not alone in this dark
>> >(for 1 sec ! ) world.
>> >
>
>

--
Steve
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 16, 2004 11:14:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi Tactical

I have now tested my memory with memtest and after about 45mins of
testing no errors were reported. Thanks also for the link, interesting
reading - there are some other testing apps I may try.

I hear your comments about bad RAM modules and I think you're right -
not normally suspect because many people think that they work or they
don't. As you say they can cause all sorts of weird behaviour.

I have RIMMS in my PC and so they are not easy to find laying about :)  -
bit expensive to buy too to see if they are the problem!!

Regards
Steve

In message <419948ce$1_3@alt.athenanews.com>, tactical
<flatscreem@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> writes
>Steve
>
>If you are interested , I cannot explain all to you so check out this
>site...
>
>http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1565
>
>fact is people do all kind of hardware checks and tests..... take out
>all their cards try other cards but still they hav the same problem
>and think that their ugly motherboard is faulty, but they never check
>RAM modules..
>
>Here is the link for memtest http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
>
>let me know if the problem was as I said
>even if MEMtest will not give any errors try to get out on module by
>one to test anyway
>
>Greets from the
>
>Tactical
>

--
Steve
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 17, 2004 4:12:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

If it fixes your problem I'll be happy to help you..........

so your problem is solved now ?


Greets from the

Tactical
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 17, 2004 6:11:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

If its not the PSU, VGA,Monitor, or RAM, and this problem is occuring
in the BIOS as well as windows, driver issues are not blame, and the
only thing left is to change the Mobo.

I'm not quite sure why people seem allergic to changing the board when
its only a 15 min job and bit of driver installation. (not making any
personal judgements, just a generalisation)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 18, 2004 3:10:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Two guys having pretty same problem one with a Pentium, another one with an
Athlon, both with an Nvidia Adapter but different type.
I investigated on mine for a little more than one year, dismounted the
boards, the memory, replaced the PSU, did everything except changing the
version of the OS (but installed it in another partition and same
behaviour). Still stuck on Win98SE.
Exhausted, I decided ti live with it until the other guy rand the bell !



"Synkro" <cjw@orange-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> a écrit dans le message news:
419bb075$1_2@alt.athenanews.com...
> If its not the PSU, VGA,Monitor, or RAM, and this problem is occuring
> in the BIOS as well as windows, driver issues are not blame, and the
> only thing left is to change the Mobo.
>
> I'm not quite sure why people seem allergic to changing the board when
> its only a 15 min job and bit of driver installation. (not making any
> personal judgements, just a generalisation)
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
November 30, 2004 1:45:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi Jad,

What are you thinking about the user color setting in the monitor OSD ?
What could be its influence on the behaviour w're are exposed to ?

TIA


"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> a écrit dans le message news:
10pcsoihkudk29e@corp.supernews.com...
> have you guys set a 'user' color setting in the monitors OSD?
>
> "Simon Cussonnet" <zzz@zorglub.net> wrote in message
> news:41966e26$0$7526$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr...
> > I've got exactly the same problem on an Asus A7N8X ver 1.04 for one
> year and
> > a half. Never had a clue. Now I'm tired asking averywhere and
> reading
> > forums. The display goes blank for one second, no more, only once
> when it
> > occurs whatever I'm under DOS or Win98SE. I changed the PSU for a
> 475W
> > Enermax, I swapped the monitor, tried different cables on the two
> vid ports
> > and both monitor's one (BNC & VGA). Noway.
> > I decided to live with it.
> >
> > This post won't bring help but it will show you're not alone in this
> dark
> > (for 1 sec ! ) world.
[...]
!