setting for VGA in safemode

Al

I've got a Compaq with an SVGA video card hooked up to an old VGA monitor. I
booted in safe mode, because I'm afraid that using SVGA output, with the
default high refresh rate, will blow out the old VGA monitor. I figured that I
could set the display to VGA while in safe mode, then reboot normally and
still be in VGA.

But, I just discovered that, while in safe mode, I don't seem to be able to
set the resolution (or refresh rate) for the next, Normal bootup. How do I
solve this, how do I configure so as to starup in VGA only? Thanks.

Al

having formulated and posted the question, a possible answer comes to mind:
will ME detect that the monitor is VGA, and set its own display properties
accordingly?

That seems to make sense. Therefore, the only way to have a video card
overdrive the monitor with too high of a refresh rate would be if the monitor
had already been detected and installed by ME, then changed manually
afterwards?

none@no.com (Al) wrote:

>I've got a Compaq with an SVGA video card hooked up to an old VGA monitor. I
>booted in safe mode, because I'm afraid that using SVGA output, with the
>default high refresh rate, will blow out the old VGA monitor. I figured that I
>could set the display to VGA while in safe mode, then reboot normally and
>still be in VGA.
>
>But, I just discovered that, while in safe mode, I don't seem to be able to
>set the resolution (or refresh rate) for the next, Normal bootup. How do I
>solve this, how do I configure so as to starup in VGA only? Thanks.

Go into Safe Mode and check the video settings. Go into the Advanced
section of the Settings window. When you come back to the main
settings window the Apply button should be active (not grayed out).

Just click on the apply button and you should get a warning that this
will cause the Safe Mode video settings (16 colors 640 x 480) to be
applied for a normal setup.

Accept the change and then reboot normally. You should now startup in
16 color video and 640 x 480 resolution. You can then go into the
video settings and increase the color depth to whatever you want and
the video card will support. The monitor will not be affected by this
change. The changes that can affect the monitor would be resolution
and also refresh rate. Any VGA monitor can display 32 bit color at
640 by 480 resolution.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--