Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

cannot restore

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • System Restore
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 5, 2005 8:25:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I've got a problem since a few weeks ago wherein ME will constantly bluescreen
after startup. However, if I disable loading of ndis.vxd during bootup, then
the problem does not occur.

So, I repeatedly tried to use System Restore to go back to an earlier time,
even 6 months previous. System Restore shows the progress meter, then
spontaneously reboots. On the restart, it reports "Restoration Was
Unsuccessful". Any ideas? Thanks.

More about : restore

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 8:33:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Restoration Unsuccessful:
A failure to restore to a previously created checkpoint is often a sign
that the 290700 patch for system restore wasn't installed when the
checkpoint to which you were trying to return was created. If that is the
case the checkpoint is useless.

What is the version of the file smgr.dll in the windows\system folder?
You can check this by locating this file in Windows Explorer, selecting,
right clicking and choosing Properties and then clicking the Version tab.
If not 4.90.0.3003 then that could be the cause of the problem and you
need to download and install the 290700 patch for system restore. The
easiest way to do this is from the link in the associated KB article
(KB290700 - "Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not
restore your computer" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=290700).

It is also possible that at one stage you did install this patch but have
subsequently reinstalled Win Me over itself using the Win Me CD. Doing
this causes the original, broken, version of smgr.dll to be reinstalled.
If this problem is a result of your having reinstalled Win Me over itself
may I recommend you to download and use the Belarc Advisor
(http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you in
identify which other patches also need to be reinstalled.

Finally you may want to give system restore the once over by carrying out
the following quick test.
a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
b) Create a manual checkpoint
c) Delete the shortcut
d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Al <none@no.com> wrote:

> I've got a problem since a few weeks ago wherein ME will constantly
> bluescreen after startup. However, if I disable loading of ndis.vxd
> during bootup, then the problem does not occur.
>
> So, I repeatedly tried to use System Restore to go back to an earlier
> time, even 6 months previous. System Restore shows the progress
> meter, then spontaneously reboots. On the restart, it reports
> "Restoration Was Unsuccessful". Any ideas? Thanks.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 4:15:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

>-----Original Message-----
>I've got a problem since a few weeks ago wherein ME will
constantly bluescreen
>after startup. However, if I disable loading of ndis.vxd
during bootup, then
>the problem does not occur.
>
>So, I repeatedly tried to use System Restore to go back
to an earlier time,
>even 6 months previous. System Restore shows the progress
meter, then
>spontaneously reboots. On the restart, it
reports "Restoration Was
>Unsuccessful". Any ideas? Thanks.
>
>.
>Yeah Reload WIndows ME, that should fix the problem, be
sure to save all precious files on a separate disk.
The FULL Install Version of WIndows ME is very stable, but
any UPGRADE version of windows is often less stable.
Also I believe there are some viruses on net that can
damage System restore, so as always try to avoid all
viruses.
Another possible SOLUTION is to ask a WIndows ME user to
Email you a copy of the System Restore Program.
Also before assuming Windows is defective, try to
Scandisk,and set Windows Startup (MSCONFIG) to fairly
normal settings.
(Also Dont beleive anyone about Windows ME being inferior,
WIndows ME is in fact usually a little more stable than
WIN 98 and WIndows ME is a great Operating System.)
Related resources
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:02:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0d4e01c50c2c$737c56b0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>>Yeah Reload WIndows ME, that should fix the problem, be
> sure to save all precious files on a separate disk.
> The FULL Install Version of WIndows ME is very stable, but
> any UPGRADE version of windows is often less stable.
> Also I believe there are some viruses on net that can
> damage System restore, so as always try to avoid all
> viruses.
> Another possible SOLUTION is to ask a WIndows ME user to
> Email you a copy of the System Restore Program.
> Also before assuming Windows is defective, try to
> Scandisk,and set Windows Startup (MSCONFIG) to fairly
> normal settings.
> (Also Dont beleive anyone about Windows ME being inferior,
> WIndows ME is in fact usually a little more stable than
> WIN 98 and WIndows ME is a great Operating System.)

This idiocy is so apparent that I'm struggling to find words to express my
feelings!
suggesting to someone that they ask a third-party to email them an
executable file just after warning them that they should watch out for
viruses?
There is only one statement in there that actually rings true - and that is
the final one. The rest is utter drivel.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:34:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

<lol> Have you noticed Noel then in most cases his suggestions come
after the OP has returned to say the problem is fixed following the
regulars solutions <g>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:

>
> This idiocy is so apparent that I'm struggling to find words to express my
> feelings!
> suggesting to someone that they ask a third-party to email them an
> executable file just after warning them that they should watch out for
> viruses?
> There is only one statement in there that actually rings true - and that is
> the final one. The rest is utter drivel.
>
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:39:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

G'Mornin', Joan!
Yes - it seems that either this idiot doesn't know how to click on the '+'
sign, or is incapable of responding to posts that may actually benefit from
his very limited knowledge.
I've restricted myself to responding to some of the more blatant inanities
that he's posted, or I'd get too wrought-up to be coherent.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Joan Archer" <Joan@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:%23WaYmdDDFHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> <lol> Have you noticed Noel then in most cases his suggestions come after
> the OP has returned to say the problem is fixed following the regulars
> solutions <g>
> Joan
>
> Noel Paton wrote:
>
>>
>> This idiocy is so apparent that I'm struggling to find words to express
>> my feelings!
>> suggesting to someone that they ask a third-party to email them an
>> executable file just after warning them that they should watch out for
>> viruses?
>> There is only one statement in there that actually rings true - and that
>> is the final one. The rest is utter drivel.
>>
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 1:52:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Morning to you Noel.

<lol> I know what you mean.

Got to go and sort out preparing dinner but I'll be back soon.
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> G'Mornin', Joan!
> Yes - it seems that either this idiot doesn't know how to click on the '+'
> sign, or is incapable of responding to posts that may actually benefit from
> his very limited knowledge.
> I've restricted myself to responding to some of the more blatant inanities
> that he's posted, or I'd get too wrought-up to be coherent.
>
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 2:11:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Yeah Reload WIndows ME, that should fix the problem, be
> sure to save all precious files on a separate disk.
> The FULL Install Version of WIndows ME is very stable, but
> any UPGRADE version of windows is often less stable.
> Also I believe there are some viruses on net that can
> damage System restore, so as always try to avoid all
> viruses.
> Another possible SOLUTION is to ask a WIndows ME user to
> Email you a copy of the System Restore Program.
> Also before assuming Windows is defective, try to
> Scandisk,and set Windows Startup (MSCONFIG) to fairly
> normal settings.
> (Also Dont beleive anyone about Windows ME being inferior,
> WIndows ME is in fact usually a little more stable than
> WIN 98 and WIndows ME is a great Operating System.)

Do you know what tripe is?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 2:26:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

ROFL
Joan

Mike M wrote:

>
> Do you know what tripe is?
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 3:03:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Perhaps I should have asked the poster if he wanted onions with his order?
--
Mike


Joan Archer <Joan@nospam.com> wrote:

> ROFL
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 5:51:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

He must, as he sure served up several plateloads of the stuff. ;-)

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
* My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
* HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm


"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:uQc8Q1DDFHA.960@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> Do you know what tripe is?
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 6:29:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

ROFL
I prefer it cold with vinegar, although it's years since I had any <g>
Joan

Mike M wrote:
> Perhaps I should have asked the poster if he wanted onions with his order?
February 6, 2005 6:29:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

YUCK!!!! You English folks eat the most awful offal.....grin. I wouldn't
touch that *furry stuff* with a 10 foot pole. (shudder!!)

Figgs

"Joan Archer" <Joan@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:%2305WoCGDFHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> ROFL
> I prefer it cold with vinegar, although it's years since I had any <g>
> Joan
>
> Mike M wrote:
> > Perhaps I should have asked the poster if he wanted onions with his
order?
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 11:15:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

ROFL
Don't forget it has been treated to get to that stage <g>
I remember a good few years ago when I had a bloodhound a couple of
beagles and a basset cross I used to get it from the slaughterhouse
along with the lights to feed them, a cut down milk churn makes a great
saucepan to cook them in after an old butchers mincer makes them
manageable <g>
That'll give you something to go "YUCK" about <vbg>
Joan

Heather wrote:
> YUCK!!!! You English folks eat the most awful offal.....grin. I wouldn't
> touch that *furry stuff* with a 10 foot pole. (shudder!!)
>
> Figgs
February 6, 2005 11:23:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Joan Archer" <Joan@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o i1dLiIDFHA.2232@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> ROFL
> Don't forget it has been treated to get to that stage <g>
> I remember a good few years ago when I had a bloodhound a couple of
> beagles and a basset cross I used to get it from the slaughterhouse along
> with the lights to feed them, a cut down milk churn makes a great saucepan
> to cook them in after an old butchers mincer makes them manageable <g>
> That'll give you something to go "YUCK" about <vbg>

Me too!

> Heather wrote:
>> YUCK!!!! You English folks eat the most awful offal.....grin. I
>> wouldn't
>> touch that *furry stuff* with a 10 foot pole. (shudder!!)

Don't lump me in with those funny ways from North of the Watford Gap!

Now, eels and mash, there's a *real* delicacy!


Shane
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 11:31:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Don't lump me in with those funny ways from North of the Watford Gap!
>
> Now, eels and mash, there's a *real* delicacy!

Your forgot the green liquor.
--
Mike
February 6, 2005 11:32:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:ejUIqrIDFHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Don't lump me in with those funny ways from North of the Watford Gap!
> >
> > Now, eels and mash, there's a *real* delicacy!
>
> Your forgot the green liquor.

Still shuddering over what you people eat......eels?? Lordy!! And IIRC,
doesn't Joanie drink some gawdoffal liquor that is green mixed with some
other weird thing? Makes that CC & Coke look like a gourmet's delight,
grin.

Heather
> --
> Mike
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:05:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

<lol> Do you mean the mushy peas or some other green liquor <g>
Joan

Mike M wrote:

>
> Your forgot the green liquor.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:20:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

> some other green liquor <g>

It's parsley sauce often made with eel/fish stock
--
Mike


Joan Archer <Joan@nospam.com> wrote:

> <lol> Do you mean the mushy peas or some other green liquor <g>
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:35:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

<lol> I'm with you now and I like parsley sauce but never had it made
with eel/fish stock <g>
Joan

Mike M wrote:
>> some other green liquor <g>
>
>
> It's parsley sauce often made with eel/fish stock
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:57:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Joan Archer <Joan@nospam.com> wrote:

> <lol> I'm with you now and I like parsley sauce but never had it made
> with eel/fish stock <g>

But then again you aren't a cockney and neither am I although technically
both of my parents could be considered to be cockneys having been born
within the sound of Bow Bells. They were both born in Holborn, about a
mile from Cheapside, but didn't meet until many years later and were both
brought up elsewhere..
--
Mike
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:06:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

That's true I'm a Nottingham girl, where apparently all the best looking
ones come from <vbg>
Joan

Mike M wrote:

> But then again you aren't a cockney and neither am I although
> technically both of my parents could be considered to be cockneys having
> been born within the sound of Bow Bells. They were both born in
> Holborn, about a mile from Cheapside, but didn't meet until many years
> later and were both brought up elsewhere..
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:27:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

<lol> Are you referring to Pernod with blackcurrant and lemonade and
it's not green <vbg>
Joan


Heather wrote:

>
> Still shuddering over what you people eat......eels?? Lordy!! And IIRC,
> doesn't Joanie drink some gawdoffal liquor that is green mixed with some
> other weird thing? Makes that CC & Coke look like a gourmet's delight,
> grin.
>
> Heather
>
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 3:12:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Joan Archer <Joan@nospam.com> wrote:

> <lol> Are you referring to Pernod with blackcurrant and lemonade and
> it's not green <vbg>

However I suspect that not a few of us might turn green after drinking
such a concoction. As for Heather's green how about crème de menthe or
even absinthe? <vbg>
--
Mike
February 7, 2005 4:57:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:%23bl2Z8QDFHA.3688@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Joan Archer <Joan@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > <lol> Are you referring to Pernod with blackcurrant and lemonade and
> > it's not green <vbg>
>
> However I suspect that not a few of us might turn green after drinking
> such a concoction. As for Heather's green how about crème de menthe or
even absinthe? <vbg>

Double yuck!! Yes, that was the one and I had it mixed up with the almost
lethal absinthe........

Creme de menthe & absinthe.....no way. I prefer Kahlua or Tia Maria on the
rocks. Or a little-known liqueur that is super....called Nassau Royale and
we used to get it in the Bahamas, naturally.

I could send you some straight men's aftershave or rubbing alcohol, which
has got to taste better than your oddball Welsh *cocktail*.....grin.

XX Heather
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:07:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

ROFL
You should have seen it when I used to have it with coke, it looked more
like cough medicine <g> it is now quite a pretty colour <vbg> even
though it is a very rare occasion when I indulge, you ask Will when I go
to the pub for a meal I drink coffee <g>
Joan

Mike M wrote:

>
> However I suspect that not a few of us might turn green after drinking
> such a concoction. As for Heather's green how about crème de menthe or
> even absinthe? <vbg>
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 12:08:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

<lol> You should try it before knocking it, it all depends whether you
like aniseed or not <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:

> I could send you some straight men's aftershave or rubbing alcohol, which
> has got to taste better than your oddball Welsh *cocktail*.....grin.
>
> XX Heather
>
>
!