cannot restore

I've got a problem since a few weeks ago wherein ME will constantly bluescreen
after startup. However, if I disable loading of ndis.vxd during bootup, then
the problem does not occur.

So, I repeatedly tried to use System Restore to go back to an earlier time,
even 6 months previous. System Restore shows the progress meter, then
spontaneously reboots. On the restart, it reports "Restoration Was
Unsuccessful". Any ideas? Thanks.
26 answers Last reply
More about cannot restore

    Restoration Unsuccessful:
    A failure to restore to a previously created checkpoint is often a sign
    that the 290700 patch for system restore wasn't installed when the
    checkpoint to which you were trying to return was created. If that is the
    case the checkpoint is useless.

    What is the version of the file smgr.dll in the windows\system folder?
    You can check this by locating this file in Windows Explorer, selecting,
    right clicking and choosing Properties and then clicking the Version tab.
    If not 4.90.0.3003 then that could be the cause of the problem and you
    need to download and install the 290700 patch for system restore. The
    easiest way to do this is from the link in the associated KB article
    (KB290700 - "Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not
    restore your computer" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=290700).

    It is also possible that at one stage you did install this patch but have
    subsequently reinstalled Win Me over itself using the Win Me CD. Doing
    this causes the original, broken, version of smgr.dll to be reinstalled.
    If this problem is a result of your having reinstalled Win Me over itself
    may I recommend you to download and use the Belarc Advisor
    (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you in
    identify which other patches also need to be reinstalled.

    Finally you may want to give system restore the once over by carrying out
    the following quick test.
    a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    b) Create a manual checkpoint
    c) Delete the shortcut
    d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
    Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Al <none@no.com> wrote:

    > I've got a problem since a few weeks ago wherein ME will constantly
    > bluescreen after startup. However, if I disable loading of ndis.vxd
    > during bootup, then the problem does not occur.
    >
    > So, I repeatedly tried to use System Restore to go back to an earlier
    > time, even 6 months previous. System Restore shows the progress
    > meter, then spontaneously reboots. On the restart, it reports
    > "Restoration Was Unsuccessful". Any ideas? Thanks.

    sure to save all precious files on a separate disk.
    The FULL Install Version of WIndows ME is very stable, but
    any UPGRADE version of windows is often less stable.
    Also I believe there are some viruses on net that can
    damage System restore, so as always try to avoid all
    viruses.
    Another possible SOLUTION is to ask a WIndows ME user to
    Email you a copy of the System Restore Program.
    Also before assuming Windows is defective, try to
    Scandisk,and set Windows Startup (MSCONFIG) to fairly
    normal settings.
    (Also Dont beleive anyone about Windows ME being inferior,
    WIndows ME is in fact usually a little more stable than
    WIN 98 and WIndows ME is a great Operating System.)

    >>Yeah Reload WIndows ME, that should fix the problem, be
    > sure to save all precious files on a separate disk.
    > The FULL Install Version of WIndows ME is very stable, but
    > any UPGRADE version of windows is often less stable.
    > Also I believe there are some viruses on net that can
    > damage System restore, so as always try to avoid all
    > viruses.
    > Another possible SOLUTION is to ask a WIndows ME user to
    > Email you a copy of the System Restore Program.
    > Also before assuming Windows is defective, try to
    > Scandisk,and set Windows Startup (MSCONFIG) to fairly
    > normal settings.
    > (Also Dont beleive anyone about Windows ME being inferior,
    > WIndows ME is in fact usually a little more stable than
    > WIN 98 and WIndows ME is a great Operating System.)

    This idiocy is so apparent that I'm struggling to find words to express my
    feelings!
    suggesting to someone that they ask a third-party to email them an
    executable file just after warning them that they should watch out for
    viruses?
    There is only one statement in there that actually rings true - and that is
    the final one. The rest is utter drivel.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    <lol> Have you noticed Noel then in most cases his suggestions come
    after the OP has returned to say the problem is fixed following the
    regulars solutions <g>
    Joan

    Noel Paton wrote:

    > This idiocy is so apparent that I'm struggling to find words to express my
    > feelings!
    > suggesting to someone that they ask a third-party to email them an
    > executable file just after warning them that they should watch out for
    > viruses?
    > There is only one statement in there that actually rings true - and that is
    > the final one. The rest is utter drivel.

    G'Mornin', Joan!
    Yes - it seems that either this idiot doesn't know how to click on the '+'
    sign, or is incapable of responding to posts that may actually benefit from
    his very limited knowledge.
    I've restricted myself to responding to some of the more blatant inanities
    that he's posted, or I'd get too wrought-up to be coherent.

    --

    "Joan Archer" <Joan@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > <lol> Have you noticed Noel then in most cases his suggestions come after
    > the OP has returned to say the problem is fixed following the regulars
    > solutions <g>
    > Joan
    >
    > Noel Paton wrote:
    >

    >> This idiocy is so apparent that I'm struggling to find words to express
    >> my feelings!
    >> suggesting to someone that they ask a third-party to email them an
    >> executable file just after warning them that they should watch out for
    >> viruses?
    >> There is only one statement in there that actually rings true - and that
    >> is the final one. The rest is utter drivel.

    Morning to you Noel.

    <lol> I know what you mean.

    Got to go and sort out preparing dinner but I'll be back soon.
    Joan

    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    > Yeah Reload WIndows ME, that should fix the problem, be
    > sure to save all precious files on a separate disk.
    > The FULL Install Version of WIndows ME is very stable, but
    > any UPGRADE version of windows is often less stable.
    > Also I believe there are some viruses on net that can
    > damage System restore, so as always try to avoid all
    > viruses.
    > Another possible SOLUTION is to ask a WIndows ME user to
    > Email you a copy of the System Restore Program.
    > Also before assuming Windows is defective, try to
    > Scandisk,and set Windows Startup (MSCONFIG) to fairly
    > normal settings.
    > (Also Dont beleive anyone about Windows ME being inferior,
    > WIndows ME is in fact usually a little more stable than
    > WIN 98 and WIndows ME is a great Operating System.)

    Do you know what tripe is?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    ROFL
    Joan

    Mike M wrote:

    > Do you know what tripe is?

    Perhaps I should have asked the poster if he wanted onions with his order?
    --
    Mike

    Joan Archer <Joan@nospam.com> wrote:

    > ROFL

    He must, as he sure served up several plateloads of the stuff. ;-)

    > Do you know what tripe is?

    ROFL
    I prefer it cold with vinegar, although it's years since I had any <g>
    Joan

    Mike M wrote:
    > Perhaps I should have asked the poster if he wanted onions with his order?

    YUCK!!!! You English folks eat the most awful offal.....grin. I wouldn't
    touch that *furry stuff* with a 10 foot pole. (shudder!!)

    Figgs

    > ROFL
    > I prefer it cold with vinegar, although it's years since I had any <g>
    > Joan
    >
    > Mike M wrote:
    > > Perhaps I should have asked the poster if he wanted onions with his
    order?

    ROFL
    Don't forget it has been treated to get to that stage <g>
    I remember a good few years ago when I had a bloodhound a couple of
    beagles and a basset cross I used to get it from the slaughterhouse
    along with the lights to feed them, a cut down milk churn makes a great
    saucepan to cook them in after an old butchers mincer makes them
    manageable <g>
    That'll give you something to go "YUCK" about <vbg>
    Joan

    > ROFL
    > Don't forget it has been treated to get to that stage <g>
    > I remember a good few years ago when I had a bloodhound a couple of
    > beagles and a basset cross I used to get it from the slaughterhouse along
    > with the lights to feed them, a cut down milk churn makes a great saucepan
    > to cook them in after an old butchers mincer makes them manageable <g>
    > That'll give you something to go "YUCK" about <vbg>

    Me too!

    > Heather wrote:
    >> YUCK!!!! You English folks eat the most awful offal.....grin. I
    >> wouldn't
    >> touch that *furry stuff* with a 10 foot pole. (shudder!!)

    Don't lump me in with those funny ways from North of the Watford Gap!

    Now, eels and mash, there's a *real* delicacy!

    Shane

    Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Don't lump me in with those funny ways from North of the Watford Gap!
    >
    > Now, eels and mash, there's a *real* delicacy!

    Your forgot the green liquor.
    --
    Mike

    > Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Don't lump me in with those funny ways from North of the Watford Gap!
    > >
    > > Now, eels and mash, there's a *real* delicacy!
    >
    > Your forgot the green liquor.

    Still shuddering over what you people eat......eels?? Lordy!! And IIRC,
    doesn't Joanie drink some gawdoffal liquor that is green mixed with some
    other weird thing? Makes that CC & Coke look like a gourmet's delight,
    grin.

    Heather
    > --
    > Mike
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> Do you mean the mushy peas or some other green liquor <g>
    Joan

    Mike M wrote:

    > Your forgot the green liquor.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > some other green liquor <g>

    It's parsley sauce often made with eel/fish stock
    --
    Mike

    Joan Archer <Joan@nospam.com> wrote:

    > <lol> Do you mean the mushy peas or some other green liquor <g>
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> I'm with you now and I like parsley sauce but never had it made
    with eel/fish stock <g>
    Joan

    Mike M wrote:
    >> some other green liquor <g>
    >

    > It's parsley sauce often made with eel/fish stock
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Joan Archer <Joan@nospam.com> wrote:

    > <lol> I'm with you now and I like parsley sauce but never had it made
    > with eel/fish stock <g>

    But then again you aren't a cockney and neither am I although technically
    both of my parents could be considered to be cockneys having been born
    within the sound of Bow Bells. They were both born in Holborn, about a
    mile from Cheapside, but didn't meet until many years later and were both
    brought up elsewhere..
    --
    Mike
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    That's true I'm a Nottingham girl, where apparently all the best looking
    ones come from <vbg>
    Joan

    Mike M wrote:

    > But then again you aren't a cockney and neither am I although
    > technically both of my parents could be considered to be cockneys having
    > been born within the sound of Bow Bells. They were both born in
    > Holborn, about a mile from Cheapside, but didn't meet until many years
    > later and were both brought up elsewhere..
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> Are you referring to Pernod with blackcurrant and lemonade and
    it's not green <vbg>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:

    > Still shuddering over what you people eat......eels?? Lordy!! And IIRC,
    > doesn't Joanie drink some gawdoffal liquor that is green mixed with some
    > other weird thing? Makes that CC & Coke look like a gourmet's delight,
    > grin.
    >
    > Heather

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Joan Archer <Joan@nospam.com> wrote:

    > <lol> Are you referring to Pernod with blackcurrant and lemonade and
    > it's not green <vbg>

    However I suspect that not a few of us might turn green after drinking
    such a concoction. As for Heather's green how about crème de menthe or
    even absinthe? <vbg>
    --
    Mike
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > Joan Archer <Joan@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > > <lol> Are you referring to Pernod with blackcurrant and lemonade and
    > > it's not green <vbg>
    >
    > However I suspect that not a few of us might turn green after drinking
    > such a concoction. As for Heather's green how about crème de menthe or
    even absinthe? <vbg>

    Double yuck!! Yes, that was the one and I had it mixed up with the almost
    lethal absinthe........

    Creme de menthe & absinthe.....no way. I prefer Kahlua or Tia Maria on the
    rocks. Or a little-known liqueur that is super....called Nassau Royale and
    we used to get it in the Bahamas, naturally.

    I could send you some straight men's aftershave or rubbing alcohol, which
    has got to taste better than your oddball Welsh *cocktail*.....grin.

    XX Heather
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    ROFL
    You should have seen it when I used to have it with coke, it looked more
    like cough medicine <g> it is now quite a pretty colour <vbg> even
    though it is a very rare occasion when I indulge, you ask Will when I go
    to the pub for a meal I drink coffee <g>
    Joan

    Mike M wrote:

    > However I suspect that not a few of us might turn green after drinking
    > such a concoction. As for Heather's green how about crème de menthe or
    > even absinthe? <vbg>
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> You should try it before knocking it, it all depends whether you
    like aniseed or not <g>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:

    > I could send you some straight men's aftershave or rubbing alcohol, which
    > has got to taste better than your oddball Welsh *cocktail*.....grin.
    >
    > XX Heather

Microsoft System Restore Windows