Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gigabyte Motherboards

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2004 3:23:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I'm in the same boat as many others when it comes to building my new pc.
It's hard to find *exactly* what one wants.

Looking at MB's, mostly Asus and Abit. Is Gigabyte also a good reliable mb?

thanks, Mr Koko

More about : gigabyte motherboards

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2004 4:08:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Mr Koko wrote:

> I'm in the same boat as many others when it comes to building my new pc.
> It's hard to find *exactly* what one wants.
>
> Looking at MB's, mostly Asus and Abit. Is Gigabyte also a good reliable
> mb?

Well, generally, yes. I have the infamous GA-8IRXP, which promised 1.85
volts for overclocking, but instability limited overclocking the voltage to
1.75, which was what all the other similar boards offered. Some people were
enraged on how Gigabyte handled it. But that was 2-1/2 years ago. I've been
pretty happy with my board. I've upgraded the CPU from a 2.0A Northwood to
a 2.6A, and It's plenty fast since the CPU upgrade. It's never been
anything but stable. I'd buy another Gigabyte board in a heartbeat,
expecially their highend stuff with the Dual Stage Power addon.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2004 11:41:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Lots of folks enjoy them. I've been building for about 10 years and have
used Asus, Abit, Biostar, ECS (bah-humbug), Gigabyte. I've built 2 Gigabyte
boards and both are very stable. However, my current very reliable favorite
for the past year is MSI. They seem to make very decent boards at good
prices and have well written manuals.
Newegg likes to do online polls and I noted when they ran one for their
users favorite motherboard about three months ago that MSI was a winner
hands down. It's not that I agree with them it's probably that they came to
the same conclusion as myself.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
or
jalter@phila.k12.pa.us
"Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet> wrote in message
news:G-adnUnWj9g-CQrcRVn-iQ@comcast.com...
> I'm in the same boat as many others when it comes to building my new pc.
> It's hard to find *exactly* what one wants.
>
> Looking at MB's, mostly Asus and Abit. Is Gigabyte also a good reliable
> mb?
>
> thanks, Mr Koko
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2004 11:41:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Jan Alter wrote:

> Lots of folks enjoy them. I've been building for about 10 years and have
> used Asus, Abit, Biostar, ECS (bah-humbug), Gigabyte. I've built 2
> Gigabyte boards and both are very stable. However, my current very
> reliable favorite for the past year is MSI. They seem to make very decent
> boards at good
> prices and have well written manuals.

I disagree with the manuals thing. I hate MSI manuals. No one does an
admirable job with their manuals, but my Gigabyte manual for my GA-8IRXP is
better than most.

> Newegg likes to do online polls and I noted when they ran one for
> their
> users favorite motherboard about three months ago that MSI was a winner
> hands down. It's not that I agree with them it's probably that they came
> to the same conclusion as myself.

I think that MSI is hands down the overclocking+features winner right now.
Abit may be overclockers dreams, but MSI gives lots of extras and good
overclocking.

My favorite 3 mobo brands are Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2004 4:08:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Ruel Smith <NoWay@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>Jan Alter wrote:

>> Lots of folks enjoy them. I've been building for about 10 years and
>> have used Asus, Abit, Biostar, ECS (bah-humbug), Gigabyte. I've built
>> 2 Gigabyte boards and both are very stable. However, my current very
>> reliable favorite for the past year is MSI. They seem to make very
>> decent boards at good prices and have well written manuals.
>
>I disagree with the manuals thing. I hate MSI manuals.

What do you not like about MicroStar International manuals?

>No one does an
>admirable job with their manuals, but my Gigabyte manual for my
>GA-8IRXP is better than most.

Seems to me MSI writers understand English grammar, and
they have lots of pretty pictures.

I like their online update feature FWIW. And they are cheap.

>> Newegg likes to do online polls and I noted when they ran one for
>> their users favorite motherboard about three months ago that MSI was
>> a winner hands down. It's not that I agree with them it's probably
>> that they came to the same conclusion as myself.
>
>I think that MSI is hands down the overclocking+features winner right
>now. Abit may be overclockers dreams, but MSI gives lots of extras and
>good overclocking.

Overclocking and lots of juicy buzzwords. I figure if they can stand the
kid test, they must be pretty good.

>My favorite 3 mobo brands are Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte.

Thanks for the recommendations. Things change, I'm not loyal to any maker.

Have fun.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2004 4:08:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks All, Just ordered a Gigabye GA 8 IPE 1000 G.

Mr Koko
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2004 4:32:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Mr Koko wrote:
> I'm in the same boat as many others when it comes to building my new pc.
> It's hard to find *exactly* what one wants.
>
> Looking at MB's, mostly Asus and Abit. Is Gigabyte also a good reliable mb?
>
> thanks, Mr Koko
>
>

I like mine, all three of them :-)

--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2004 10:04:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:28:25 -0500, "Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet>
wrote:

>Thanks All, Just ordered a Gigabye GA 8 IPE 1000 G.
>
>Mr Koko
>
I have that board. You won't be disappointed based upon my
experience.
!