Explorer not responding.

I'm getting frequent lockups with Win Me and getting the "Explorer (not
responding)" when pressing Ctrl-alt-delete.

I can continue to use the machine after closing explorer (whatever that is)
but half the icons on my quick Launch toolbar have disappeared.

Any suggestions?

Andrew Bowie
abowie@internode.on.net
www.users.on.net/abowie
6 answers Last reply
More about explorer responding

    You may have a virus/spyware hijack

    download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    viruses are not present on your PC
    http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

    Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    CoolWebSearch hijacker.

    Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (download it without the accompanying rubbish)

    download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    your system.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Zboing Mouflon" <zboing@bigzboing.co> wrote in message
    > I'm getting frequent lockups with Win Me and getting the "Explorer (not
    > responding)" when pressing Ctrl-alt-delete.
    >
    > I can continue to use the machine after closing explorer (whatever that
    > is)
    > but half the icons on my quick Launch toolbar have disappeared.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Andrew Bowie
    > abowie@internode.on.net
    > www.users.on.net/abowie

    After this process I found that Shredder had removed a program called
    qttasks.exe.

    My thanks.

    Andrew Bowie
    abowie@internode.on.net
    www.users.on.net/abowie
    > You may have a virus/spyware hijack
    >
    > download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    > viruses are not present on your PC
    > http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
    >
    > - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
    >
    > Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    > CoolWebSearch hijacker.
    > http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
    >
    > Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    > http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    > (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
    >
    > download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    > update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    > your system.
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Zboing Mouflon" <zboing@bigzboing.co> wrote in message
    > > I'm getting frequent lockups with Win Me and getting the "Explorer (not
    > > responding)" when pressing Ctrl-alt-delete.
    > >
    > > I can continue to use the machine after closing explorer (whatever that
    > > is)
    > > but half the icons on my quick Launch toolbar have disappeared.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Andrew Bowie
    > > abowie@internode.on.net
    > > www.users.on.net/abowie

    qttask.exe *should* be the Quicktime task scheduler - and AFAIK, neither
    Shredder nor any of the other tools I pointed you at would normally rid you
    of this, unless it found that is was another file spoofing the name (which
    is possible - but CWShredder doesn't normally look for this type of attack
    unless known in advance)

    Quicktime has nothing whatever to do with the QuickLaunch toolbar..... are
    you sure that you haven't just reduced its size, so that some of the icons
    are hidden? is the a pair of '>>' at the end?, if so, then click on them,
    and see what pops up.

    Is there any difference in behaviour of either Internet Explorer or Windows
    Explorer since running the cleaning tools?

    --

    > After this process I found that Shredder had removed a program called
    > qttasks.exe.
    >
    > My thanks.
    >
    > Andrew Bowie
    > abowie@internode.on.net
    > www.users.on.net/abowie
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> You may have a virus/spyware hijack
    >>
    >> download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    >> viruses are not present on your PC
    >> http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
    >>
    >> - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
    >>
    >> Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    >> CoolWebSearch hijacker.
    >> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
    >>
    >> Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    >> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    >> (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
    >>
    >> download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    >> update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    >> your system.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Zboing Mouflon" <zboing@bigzboing.co> wrote in message
    >> > I'm getting frequent lockups with Win Me and getting the "Explorer (not
    >> > responding)" when pressing Ctrl-alt-delete.
    >> >
    >> > I can continue to use the machine after closing explorer (whatever that
    >> > is)
    >> > but half the icons on my quick Launch toolbar have disappeared.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions?
    >> >
    >> > Andrew Bowie
    >> > abowie@internode.on.net
    >> > www.users.on.net/abowie

    Sorry it was CWS.qttasks it killed.

    Haven't had a lockup since....fingers crossed.

    Andrew Bowie

    > qttask.exe *should* be the Quicktime task scheduler - and AFAIK, neither
    > Shredder nor any of the other tools I pointed you at would normally rid
    you
    > of this, unless it found that is was another file spoofing the name (which
    > is possible - but CWShredder doesn't normally look for this type of attack
    > unless known in advance)
    >
    > Quicktime has nothing whatever to do with the QuickLaunch toolbar..... are
    > you sure that you haven't just reduced its size, so that some of the icons
    > are hidden? is the a pair of '>>' at the end?, if so, then click on them,
    > and see what pops up.
    >
    > Is there any difference in behaviour of either Internet Explorer or
    Windows
    > Explorer since running the cleaning tools?
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Zboing Mouflon" <zboing@bigzboing.co> wrote in message
    > > After this process I found that Shredder had removed a program called
    > > qttasks.exe.
    > >
    > > My thanks.
    > >
    > > Andrew Bowie
    > > abowie@internode.on.net
    > > www.users.on.net/abowie
    > > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > >> You may have a virus/spyware hijack
    > >>
    > >> download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that
    A-V-disabling
    > >> viruses are not present on your PC
    > >> http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe
    > >>
    > >> - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.
    > >>
    > >> Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    > >> CoolWebSearch hijacker.
    > >> http://www.merijn.org/cwschronicles.html
    > >>
    > >> Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    > >> http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    > >> (download it without the accompanying rubbish)
    > >>
    > >> download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    > >> update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties
    from
    > >> your system.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >>
    > >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >>
    > >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > >> "Zboing Mouflon" <zboing@bigzboing.co> wrote in message

    Glad to hear it - and thanks for the feedback.

    CWS.qttasks....
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453077875
    you should check that the infection is totally removed by following the
    instructions there

    --

    > Sorry it was CWS.qttasks it killed.
    >
    > Haven't had a lockup since....fingers crossed.
    >
    > Andrew Bowie
    >

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> qttask.exe *should* be the Quicktime task scheduler - and AFAIK, neither
    >> Shredder nor any of the other tools I pointed you at would normally rid
    > you
    >> of this, unless it found that is was another file spoofing the name
    >> (which
    >> is possible - but CWShredder doesn't normally look for this type of
    >> attack
    >> unless known in advance)
    >>
    >> Quicktime has nothing whatever to do with the QuickLaunch toolbar.....
    >> are
    >> you sure that you haven't just reduced its size, so that some of the
    >> icons
    >> are hidden? is the a pair of '>>' at the end?, if so, then click on them,
    >> and see what pops up.
    >>
    >> Is there any difference in behaviour of either Internet Explorer or
    > Windows
    >> Explorer since running the cleaning tools?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Zboing Mouflon" <zboing@bigzboing.co> wrote in message
    >> > After this process I found that Shredder had removed a program called
    >> > qttasks.exe.
    >> >
    >> > My thanks.
    >> >
    >> > Andrew Bowie
    >> > abowie@internode.on.net
    >> > www.users.on.net/abowie
    >> > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

    > A-V-disabling

    > from

    > NG's

    > (not

    > that

    WTG, Noel!

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > Glad to hear it - and thanks for the feedback.
    >
    > CWS.qttasks....
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453077875
    > you should check that the infection is totally removed by following the
    > instructions there
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Zboing Mouflon" <zboing@bigzboing.co> wrote in message
    > > Sorry it was CWS.qttasks it killed.
    > >
    > > Haven't had a lockup since....fingers crossed.
    > >
    > > Andrew Bowie

    <SNIP>

Explorer Quick Launch Microsoft Windows