Need Help with a script file

I need help. I have done a non-destrcutive recover on my Windows ME machine.
Now that is complete and I am trying to start up the machine. Of course,
windows ME wants to repeat the initial setup scenario again. One script file
continuously causes this setup to "hang" and the error message references a
file called "c:\program files\sbapps\oemreg\sndchk1.htm" This file seems to
have been damaged and even lost some of the information. I really need some
help finding out waht this file is and how to fix it.

This file isn't part of the operating system but instead appears to be
used either to check out your sound card or perhaps to register you as the
owner. This was presumably added to the system by the OEM from whom you
originally purchased your PC. Can you skip this when booting and then
remove the reference to it in perhaps MSConfig | Startup?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Rus Gibs <rustyg(deleteme)21499@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I need help. I have done a non-destrcutive recover on my Windows ME
> machine. Now that is complete and I am trying to start up the
> machine. Of course, windows ME wants to repeat the initial setup
> scenario again. One script file continuously causes this setup to
> "hang" and the error message references a file called "c:\program
> files\sbapps\oemreg\sndchk1.htm" This file seems to have been
> damaged and even lost some of the information. I really need some
> help finding out waht this file is and how to fix it.

I haven't been able to get past this setup tryout. I have a dos boot disk
and can edit some files. Is there any way to bypass this setup? Either
through editing a file or other way?

Thanks

"Mike M" wrote:

> This file isn't part of the operating system but instead appears to be
> used either to check out your sound card or perhaps to register you as the
> owner. This was presumably added to the system by the OEM from whom you
> originally purchased your PC. Can you skip this when booting and then
> remove the reference to it in perhaps MSConfig | Startup?
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Rus Gibs <rustyg(deleteme)21499@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I need help. I have done a non-destrcutive recover on my Windows ME
> > machine. Now that is complete and I am trying to start up the
> > machine. Of course, windows ME wants to repeat the initial setup
> > scenario again. One script file continuously causes this setup to
> > "hang" and the error message references a file called "c:\program
> > files\sbapps\oemreg\sndchk1.htm" This file seems to have been
> > damaged and even lost some of the information. I really need some
> > help finding out waht this file is and how to fix it.

Rus Gibs <rustyg(deleteme)21499@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't been able to get past this setup tryout. I have a dos boot
> disk and can edit some files. Is there any way to bypass this setup?
> Either through editing a file or other way?

If you can't bypass this file then you need to contact the OEM whose
recovery disk you used. As I mentioned this is not part of Win Me but
something that has been added by the computer manufacturer. You might
want to check the CD you used to restore your system for the missing file.
and then copy it to the required location.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

TRENDING THREADS