need recommendation for mobo/cpu with integrated video for..

Hi,
My sister wants me to build her a new system to replace her aging P2 350
system.
Cost, of course, is a consideration. I have an eide hard drive, flopy, cd
burner, and
cdrom for it. She's gonna use here existing mouse, keyboard, broadband
modem, and monitor.
DVD isn't required.

So what I'm looking for is mobo/cpu combo that has integraded video, and
sound so
we won't have to buy sound and video cards. The computer is used for basic
stuff, nothing fancy so she doesn't need, or want, the latest and greatest,
but USB 2
would be nice, as would an integrated nic card. She's using PC100 memory
so that will go the way of all flesh, and we'll buy 256megs of whatever kind
of
memory the new mobo wants.

So, any ideas on where the best bang for the buck these days for a basic
system?

as always, TIA.

Alby

PS: We're gonna bite the bullet and get a new case, too.
6 answers Last reply
More about need recommendation mobo integrated video

    At MWave you can get a Biostar M7NCG motherboard (miniATX form factor, will
    fit in a standard ATX case just fine) with an Athlon XP 2600+ and 2 X 256 MB
    Crucial PC 2700 memory for $236.00. The motherboard has onboard graphics
    (NVidia), LAN and sound (5.1).

    You can get the AMD Sempron 2600+ for about 15 dollars less.

    I'm running two of these boards, one for a teenager, and one for a 6 yr old.
    Both have performed flawlessly. The six yr old provides quite a test of
    reliability, and I haven't had to touch it since the initial build.

    Good Luck,
    Fitz

    !Allen Lasting:

    > So what I'm looking for is mobo/cpu combo that has integraded video,
    > and sound

    http://arstechnica.dealtime.com/xFS?FN=Motherboards&KW=GA-8TRS350MT&FD=
    1717&x=0&y=0

    The nice thing about this board is that it has onboard ATI Radeon 9200
    graphics which should give better performance than the more common intel
    Extreme Graphics chips. Tack on a 2.4 or 2.8 Ghz P4.
    If you want to go the AMD route:
    http://arstechnica.dealtime.com/xFS?FN=Motherboards&KW=K7N2GM2-LSR&FD=1717
    &x=15&y=5
    Tack on an XP3000+.
    --
    Mac Cool

    "!Allen Lasting" <bogus@nowhere.net> wrote:

    >My sister wants me to build her a new system to replace her aging P2
    >350 system.

    Big difference.

    >So what I'm looking for is mobo/cpu combo that has integraded video,
    >and sound so we won't have to buy sound and video cards.

    That is common enough.

    >The computer is used for basic stuff, nothing fancy so she doesn't
    >need, or want, the latest and greatest, but USB 2 would be nice, as
    >would an integrated nic card.

    If you get integrated networking, be sure it works before getting rid of
    the current modem.

    >... we'll buy 256megs of whatever kind of memory the new mobo wants.
    >[transposed] ... We're gonna bite the bullet and get a new case, too.

    That is a very good idea IMO since the power supply probably won't work
    with a new mainboard.

    >So, any ideas on where the best bang for the buck these days for a
    >basic system?

    This is one opinion, seek all the advice you need before making your
    decision.

    http://tinyurl.com/4vdf7
    http://tinyurl.com/64kau
    http://tinyurl.com/6xyt2
    http://tinyurl.com/6pjd7

    The memory is 512MB and faster than the CPU, but you can use it again
    someday when you upgrade. I think a typical mainboard with video
    included will have only two memory slots, so you want to use them
    wisely. The case is more than you need, but again that will help upgrade
    later, and it is shipped (cases cost a lot to ship, make sure to select
    free budget shipping).

    The cost is $277 shipped, mostly 2nd day air. You'll have to wait for
    the case.

    Good luck.

    --
    Apparently CPU prices have gone up, the CPU I bought over six months ago
    costs more now.

    Fitz wrote:

    > At MWave you can get a Biostar M7NCG motherboard (miniATX form factor, will
    > fit in a standard ATX case just fine) with an Athlon XP 2600+ and 2 X 256 MB
    > Crucial PC 2700 memory for $236.00. The motherboard has onboard graphics
    > (NVidia), LAN and sound (5.1).

    That's pretty much what I'd recommend. The nforce2 geforce graphics is
    miles ahead of any other Socket-A integrated video solution.

    I'd put a Barton 2600+ in though; the 512K cache is worth it even though
    the same rating, or a Barton 2500+ to save a few bucks. Maybe overclock it
    too (the Biostar is overclock capable) I'd also go OEM, to save some bucks,
    and use a Thermaltake Silent Boost ($22) heatsink/fan on it for the *quiet*
    (and excellent cooling).

    The memory is spot on but, besides the size, it being dual channel makes a
    world of difference (good reason for 2 256 Meg instead of 1 512 Meg) for
    integrated video boards, which is another plus for nforce2 and that M7NCG.
    For virtually the same price, though, I'd get PC3200 since, later, one
    could upgrade to a faster AGP video card and run the memory 400 (can't run
    400 with the integrated video). For little or no extra cost it's a nice option.

    Just as a matter of principle I'd check pricewatch.com for the best
    pricing. I see the M7NCG400 listed as low as $63.

    "Fitz" <akfitz@mtaonline.net> wrote in message news:<10pggna44ashb6d@corp.supernews.com>...
    > At MWave you can get a Biostar M7NCG motherboard (miniATX form factor, will
    > fit in a standard ATX case just fine) with an Athlon XP 2600+ and 2 X 256 MB
    > Crucial PC 2700 memory for $236.00. The motherboard has onboard graphics
    > (NVidia), LAN and sound (5.1).
    >
    > You can get the AMD Sempron 2600+ for about 15 dollars less.
    >
    > I'm running two of these boards, one for a teenager, and one for a 6 yr old.
    > Both have performed flawlessly. The six yr old provides quite a test of
    > reliability, and I haven't had to touch it since the initial build.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > Fitz

    I was about to suggest just about the same system but Fitz beat me to
    it. I use two of these mobos myself and have built several machines
    for others using it. It's very stable and the integrated GeForce4 MX
    graphics is more than adequate for your purpose.

    It has 3 instead of 2 RAM slots, can run in dual-channel mode, and has
    an 8x AGP slot - features absent in many budget mobos.

    Hello guys,

    Thanks for all the excellent ideas, and comments.
    Looks like the Biostar M7NCG wins the day.
    Thanks again.

    Allen

Homebuilt Systems