Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

update VGA to SVGA

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 7, 2005 11:19:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hello all.

My nephews have a Compaq Deskpro 4000.
Upgraded with various bits - it's got a Pentium 233MMX, 112MBs RAM and a
Voodoo 3 2000 video card.
(USB2 PCI card, bog-standard PCI sound card and bluetooth dongle too BTW!).

I recently had the pc to fix - discovering a total of fourteen trojans, of
which three or four had already infected the system!

I successfully backed up all data to my Windows XP Pro pc and deleted the
various sources of the trojans - all dodgy archives of NGage games they'd
downloaded from P2P sharing. I used The Cleaner and KasperskyAV to clean up
everything.
Deleted all partitions on both the Compaq's hard drives.
And successfully got Windows ME freshly installed and updated with all the
latest updates.

All working 100% - scanned and clean too!

So i returned the pc to them yesterday.
We booted it up and it detected my nephews' monitor and installed it - i'd
re-installed the system using an old spare monitor i have lying around.
All working ok except we were stuck in 640 x 480 resolution.
We could choose 640 x 480 in either 256 colours, 16 bit clour or (i forget
it's highest setting but think it was 24 bit colour).
However we couldn't get any resolution other than 640 x 480.

Previously, with the same monitor and also with the old monitor used to
re-install the system, we had

640 x 480
800 x 600
1024 x 768

And all three of these resolutions were available in three different colour
depths.

Nothing has changed - after the reinstall of Windows ME i installed the last
updated version of the Voodoo drivers.
These were the same drivers that i'd previously installed on the Compaq when
it was working in all three resolutions.
DirectX is updated to the latest version and that's the same as was on the
old installation of Windows ME.
No driver or software changes have occurred.

So i've been through endless iterations of driver and monitor installs and
uninstalls but haven't been able to restore the pc to it's three different
video resolutions.
Also been though the Windows\Inf folder and deleted a couple of Voodoo .INF
files before one of the driver installs but it didn't help.
Changed drivers through Device Manager and the Display properties Advanced
setting too.

I've left the pc, up and working, with them but really want to get the three
avaliable resolutions to be available - 640 x 480 is workable but hardly
adequate.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Martin.

More about : update vga svga

Anonymous
February 7, 2005 11:41:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Martin, it sounds like your Display Adapter driver is no longer being
properly recognised, is incorrectly set-up, or is corrupted. You need to
start again.

Boot into *Safe Mode* and in Device Manager, 'Remove' any/all Display
Adapters and Monitors and then re-boot. WinMe *should* re-detect (Plug&Play)
your video card and monitor and then should install the 'correct' drivers.

Be sure you have the latest WinMe driver for your Video Card (Adapter) which
you should be available to download from the card manufacturers web site if
necessary.

HTH and good luck

Mart


"Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote in message
news:eCk1aJVDFHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hello all.
>
> My nephews have a Compaq Deskpro 4000.
> Upgraded with various bits - it's got a Pentium 233MMX, 112MBs RAM and a
> Voodoo 3 2000 video card.
> (USB2 PCI card, bog-standard PCI sound card and bluetooth dongle too
> BTW!).
>
> I recently had the pc to fix - discovering a total of fourteen trojans, of
> which three or four had already infected the system!
>
> I successfully backed up all data to my Windows XP Pro pc and deleted the
> various sources of the trojans - all dodgy archives of NGage games they'd
> downloaded from P2P sharing. I used The Cleaner and KasperskyAV to clean
> up everything.
> Deleted all partitions on both the Compaq's hard drives.
> And successfully got Windows ME freshly installed and updated with all the
> latest updates.
>
> All working 100% - scanned and clean too!
>
> So i returned the pc to them yesterday.
> We booted it up and it detected my nephews' monitor and installed it - i'd
> re-installed the system using an old spare monitor i have lying around.
> All working ok except we were stuck in 640 x 480 resolution.
> We could choose 640 x 480 in either 256 colours, 16 bit clour or (i forget
> it's highest setting but think it was 24 bit colour).
> However we couldn't get any resolution other than 640 x 480.
>
> Previously, with the same monitor and also with the old monitor used to
> re-install the system, we had
>
> 640 x 480
> 800 x 600
> 1024 x 768
>
> And all three of these resolutions were available in three different
> colour depths.
>
> Nothing has changed - after the reinstall of Windows ME i installed the
> last updated version of the Voodoo drivers.
> These were the same drivers that i'd previously installed on the Compaq
> when it was working in all three resolutions.
> DirectX is updated to the latest version and that's the same as was on the
> old installation of Windows ME.
> No driver or software changes have occurred.
>
> So i've been through endless iterations of driver and monitor installs and
> uninstalls but haven't been able to restore the pc to it's three different
> video resolutions.
> Also been though the Windows\Inf folder and deleted a couple of Voodoo
> .INF files before one of the driver installs but it didn't help.
> Changed drivers through Device Manager and the Display properties Advanced
> setting too.
>
> I've left the pc, up and working, with them but really want to get the
> three avaliable resolutions to be available - 640 x 480 is workable but
> hardly adequate.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Martin.
>
>
February 8, 2005 10:01:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't think to try removing all the old drivers in safe mode!

I'll try it next time that i visit them and post any results back here.

Martin.


"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o 2SxtVVDFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Martin, it sounds like your Display Adapter driver is no longer being
> properly recognised, is incorrectly set-up, or is corrupted. You need to
> start again.
>
> Boot into *Safe Mode* and in Device Manager, 'Remove' any/all Display
> Adapters and Monitors and then re-boot. WinMe *should* re-detect
> (Plug&Play) your video card and monitor and then should install the
> 'correct' drivers.
>
> Be sure you have the latest WinMe driver for your Video Card (Adapter)
> which you should be available to download from the card manufacturers web
> site if necessary.
>
> HTH and good luck
>
> Mart
>
>
> "Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:eCk1aJVDFHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hello all.
>>
>> My nephews have a Compaq Deskpro 4000.
>> Upgraded with various bits - it's got a Pentium 233MMX, 112MBs RAM and a
>> Voodoo 3 2000 video card.
>> (USB2 PCI card, bog-standard PCI sound card and bluetooth dongle too
>> BTW!).
>>
>> I recently had the pc to fix - discovering a total of fourteen trojans,
>> of which three or four had already infected the system!
>>
>> I successfully backed up all data to my Windows XP Pro pc and deleted the
>> various sources of the trojans - all dodgy archives of NGage games they'd
>> downloaded from P2P sharing. I used The Cleaner and KasperskyAV to clean
>> up everything.
>> Deleted all partitions on both the Compaq's hard drives.
>> And successfully got Windows ME freshly installed and updated with all
>> the latest updates.
>>
>> All working 100% - scanned and clean too!
>>
>> So i returned the pc to them yesterday.
>> We booted it up and it detected my nephews' monitor and installed it -
>> i'd re-installed the system using an old spare monitor i have lying
>> around.
>> All working ok except we were stuck in 640 x 480 resolution.
>> We could choose 640 x 480 in either 256 colours, 16 bit clour or (i
>> forget it's highest setting but think it was 24 bit colour).
>> However we couldn't get any resolution other than 640 x 480.
>>
>> Previously, with the same monitor and also with the old monitor used to
>> re-install the system, we had
>>
>> 640 x 480
>> 800 x 600
>> 1024 x 768
>>
>> And all three of these resolutions were available in three different
>> colour depths.
>>
>> Nothing has changed - after the reinstall of Windows ME i installed the
>> last updated version of the Voodoo drivers.
>> These were the same drivers that i'd previously installed on the Compaq
>> when it was working in all three resolutions.
>> DirectX is updated to the latest version and that's the same as was on
>> the old installation of Windows ME.
>> No driver or software changes have occurred.
>>
>> So i've been through endless iterations of driver and monitor installs
>> and uninstalls but haven't been able to restore the pc to it's three
>> different video resolutions.
>> Also been though the Windows\Inf folder and deleted a couple of Voodoo
>> .INF files before one of the driver installs but it didn't help.
>> Changed drivers through Device Manager and the Display properties
>> Advanced setting too.
>>
>> I've left the pc, up and working, with them but really want to get the
>> three avaliable resolutions to be available - 640 x 480 is workable but
>> hardly adequate.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Martin.
>>
>>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 11:58:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply.
>
>I didn't think to try removing all the old drivers in safe mode!
>
>I'll try it next time that i visit them and post any results back here.
>
>Martin.
>
Also check with the HP/Compaq website for updated video drivers for
your exact model.

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

"The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."
July 4, 2012 11:54:44 AM

Quote:
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks for the reply.
>
>I didn't think to try removing all the old drivers in safe mode!
>
>I'll try it next time that i visit them and post any results back here.
>
>Martin.
>
Also check with the HP/Compaq website for updated video drivers for
your exact model.

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

"The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

July 4, 2012 12:01:28 PM

update vga to svga

Thanks,

Sin Chamraeun.
!