decent pc case

Has anyone suggestions for the least expensive but halfway decent pc
case. I do not need lights or state of the art design but it would be
nice to cut down some hassle on the installation. Abit motherboard,
Enermax power supply, two hd's etc etc.

Thanks

Smokeyone

"Smokeyone" <mailstarclipper@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone suggestions for the least expensive but halfway decent pc
> case. I do not need lights or state of the art design but it would be
> nice to cut down some hassle on the installation. Abit motherboard,
> Enermax power supply, two hd's etc etc.
>
> Thanks
>
> Smokeyone

Here's a couple of good ones that don't cost too much:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-018&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-116-166&depa=0

Just ditch the power supply, if it includes one.

jad

Dave just for clarification, for every person that comes in here or
you have contact with, that have PSU failures, a % of those that are
cheap PSU's, a % are expensive and then there are 100's of both that
work flawlessly for years. The idea Of buying a case and PSU just to
ditch the PSU for another seems pretty non productive. penny wise and
pound foolish.

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Smokeyone" <mailstarclipper@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone suggestions for the least expensive but halfway decent
pc
> > case. I do not need lights or state of the art design but it would
be
> > nice to cut down some hassle on the installation. Abit
motherboard,
> > Enermax power supply, two hd's etc etc.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Smokeyone
>

> Here's a couple of good ones that don't cost too much:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-018&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-116-166&depa=0

> Just ditch the power supply, if it includes one.

martin

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Smokeyone" <mailstarclipper@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone suggestions for the least expensive but halfway decent pc
>> case. I do not need lights or state of the art design but it would be
>> nice to cut down some hassle on the installation. Abit motherboard,
>> Enermax power supply, two hd's etc etc.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Smokeyone
>

> Here's a couple of good ones that don't cost too much:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-018&depa=0
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-116-166&depa=0
>
> Just ditch the power supply, if it includes one.

I wouldn't ditch the power supply on the Enlight case, they are pretty good.
I use Antec cases now, but a few years ago I built a few systems with
Enlight cases and not one of the power supplies have gone bad that I know
about.

martin

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> Dave just for clarification, for every person that comes in here or
> you have contact with, that have PSU failures, a % of those that are
> cheap PSU's, a % are expensive and then there are 100's of both that
> work flawlessly for years. The idea Of buying a case and PSU just to
> ditch the PSU for another seems pretty non productive. penny wise and
> pound foolish.

Sometimes you really should dump the psu.

Another thing to watch for is that some places will sell you a name brand
case and switch out the psu with a cheap one.

The reason I like Antec (and formerly Enlight), is because they come with a
pretty good psu, and it works out a bit cheaper to buy the combo rather than
separately.

If I were to buy a case and psu separately I would go for a PC power and
cooling psu, but there are some others that are pretty good as well.

..

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> Dave just for clarification, for every person that comes in here or
> you have contact with, that have PSU failures, a % of those that are
> cheap PSU's, a % are expensive and then there are 100's of both that
> work flawlessly for years. The idea Of buying a case and PSU just to
> ditch the PSU for another seems pretty non productive. penny wise and
> pound foolish.

I take it you haven't seen a mainboard, hard drive and optical drive all
destroyed by a bad power supply. (yet) Yes, you can get lucky with a cheap
power supply. Yes, you can have an expensive power supply blow up on you,
also. Me, I don't go around grabbing alligators by the tail, and I wouldn't
advise anybody else to. -Dave

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

mailstarclipper@btopenworld.com (Smokeyone) wrote in message news:<e264a9ed.0411150329.55841682@posting.google.com>...
> Has anyone suggestions for the least expensive but halfway decent pc
> case. I do not need lights or state of the art design but it would be
> nice to cut down some hassle on the installation. Abit motherboard,
> Enermax power supply, two hd's etc etc.
>
> Thanks
>
> Smokeyone

How much are you willing to drop? I just finished building a 2.4GHz
Northwood machine using a Antec Sonata box - very stylish in black
with front-side USB and firewire connectors and all drives behind a
door. It is pretty quiet as well even though I have all fans cranked
up all the way. I picked it up for $59 at Fry's after a $30 rebate
about 2 months ago. I have seen it come on sale at the same price
every 2-3 weeks.

One cool feature of the Sonata (and maybe other Antecs as well, I
don't know) is that the 3.5in drives load sideways so that the
connectors face the open door. It makes wiring the drives a *lot*
easier. A simple thing but very effective in reducing wiring
drudgery.....

I think original post said he had Enermax power supply he was going to use.

Maybe he likes the one he has.

MrKoko

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:<10pi0masfkdeaf7@corp.supernews.com>...

> I have seen people touting expensive PSU's, calling codegen the
> worst ever...I have used them almost extensively...never had
> one come back to bite me

It helps Codegen that the average computer draws less than 250W, but
can you explain why the better companies bother with higher-capacity
components in their supplies if they don't improve reliability?

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message news:<2vroc0F2nkpr6U1@uni-berlin.de>...

> Here's a couple of good ones that don't cost too much:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-018&depa=0
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-116-166&depa=0
>
> Just ditch the power supply, if it includes one.

I wouldn't ditch the 300W supply included with the Enlight case in
that second listing since it's made by a very good company, Delta
(notice Delta-style AC receptacle).

jad

It helps Codegen that the average computer draws less than 250W, but
> can you explain why the better companies bother with higher-capacity
> components in their supplies if they don't improve reliability?

to get you to pay more, what else

"do_not_spam_me" <do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > I have seen people touting expensive PSU's, calling codegen the
> > worst ever...I have used them almost extensively...never had
> > one come back to bite me

Phisherman

On 15 Nov 2004 03:29:24 -0800, mailstarclipper@btopenworld.com
(Smokeyone) wrote:

>Has anyone suggestions for the least expensive but halfway decent pc
>case. I do not need lights or state of the art design but it would be
>nice to cut down some hassle on the installation. Abit motherboard,
>Enermax power supply, two hd's etc etc.
>
>Thanks
>
>Smokeyone

You might be able to pick up a used case at a flea market for a few
bucks (or buy a used computer for 30 bucks and use the case). I have
a Micron case I got for $3 and a Compaq case for free. Buying a case
is very personal. But, I'd much rather have a case without sharp
edges and holes for 120mm fans, perhaps an Antec.

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:<10pl8frmn2gn56f@corp.supernews.com>...

> I have seen people touting expensive PSU's, calling codegen the
> worst ever...I have used them almost extensively...never had
> one come back to bite me

> > It helps Codegen that the average computer draws less than 250W, but
> > can you explain why the better companies bother with higher-capacity
> > components in their supplies if they don't improve reliability?

> to get you to pay more, what else

That could be the case with PC Power & Cooling, but it doesn't explain
why companies with no direct retail presense do so. What incentive is
there for Dell's power supply manufacturers to include such hidden
improvements?

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:<10pi0masfkdeaf7@corp.supernews.com>...

> Dave just for clarification, for every person that comes in here or
> you have contact with, that have PSU failures, a % of those that are
> cheap PSU's, a % are expensive and then there are 100's of both that
> work flawlessly for years.

I had a good PSU, a 300W Antec (actually CWT "B" -- same thing) fail,
but that was because its capacitors were involved in the Taiwan
counterfeit electrolyte scandal of 2-3 years ago. Actually I wasn't
having problems with it but just happened to have it open and noticed
some bulging caps. OTOH bad design caused failures of my 300W Codegen
(10-16V capacitor had 50V spikes across it) and 250W King Case (blew a
MOSFET when +3.3V rail was shorted).
www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=824361 is a thread about PSU
failures, and more cheapos, like Deer (Codegen's parent co.), seemed
to fail more than quality Antecs, Fortrons/Sparkles, etc.

> The idea Of buying a case and PSU just to ditch the PSU for
> another seems pretty non productive. penny wise and pound foolish.

I bought a free-after-rebate Soyo case w/ 300W Soyo/Key Mouse/MaxPower
PSU from Fry's and substituted a $15 300W Fortron/Sparkle. Why was
that foolish? The Soyo PSU had much lower +3.3V and +12V amp ratings
(probably not enough for a mobo that uses +12V for CPU power), its fan
was noisy because it wasn't temperature-controlled, and it had no EMI
filter (drowned out AM radio and TV ch. 3). Fry's often features
cases for $5-15 after rebate, but their PSUs usually seem so bad that
I wouldn't dare use them, except for spare parts. Still a person
could sub a quality PSU from NewEgg for $25 (Hi-Q, PowerQ, both made
by Fortron) and still come out ahead.

I expect Fry's to have another really cheap case-PSU deal either on
11/26 or 12/26.

larrymoencurly wrote:

> "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:<10pl8frmn2gn56f@corp.supernews.com>...
>

>>I have seen people touting expensive PSU's, calling codegen the
>>worst ever...I have used them almost extensively...never had
>>one come back to bite me
>

>>>It helps Codegen that the average computer draws less than 250W, but
>>>can you explain why the better companies bother with higher-capacity
>>>components in their supplies if they don't improve reliability?
>

>>to get you to pay more, what else
>

> That could be the case with PC Power & Cooling, but it doesn't explain
> why companies with no direct retail presense do so. What incentive is
> there for Dell's power supply manufacturers to include such hidden
> improvements?

If your assumption that the part really is of 'higher capacity' is true
then reliability could be one reason. So could different requirements over
a range of intended application (such as surge requirements in servers), or
parts inventory reduction across multiple models or the natural result of
which 'standard' size parts are available.

'Bigger and heavier' doesn't always mean 'higher capacity' though. For
example, one might use 'large' heatsinks to offset the heat generated by
low cost, less efficient, power devices, etc. and it's sometimes less
expensive to use a 'larger' part than the, more difficult to make,
'miniaturized' version.

The 'reason' isn't always obvious.

The one thing it isn't, however, is "to get you to pay more" as the natural
incentive is to charge what the market will bear while keeping the cost of
business as low as possible.

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:<10pl8frmn2gn56f@corp.supernews.com>...

> > It helps Codegen that the average computer draws less than
> > 250W, but can you explain why the better companies bother
> > with higher-capacity components in their supplies if they
> > don't improve reliability?
>
> to get you to pay more, what else

Nonsense. Those components are unnoticed by the vast majority of
buyers and only very rarely advertised, unlike purely cosmetic
features, such as colors and LED fans, and better functional
components contribute to higher reliability. Codegen and its sibling
Deer brands have been produced with components that were not only
rated for less capacity than those in their higher-quality
counterparts but also for less capacity than needed to simply meet
nameplate specs. An example I saw of this had 3A bridge/doubler
diodes protected by a 5-6A fuse, and another person reported a 20A
diode pack for the +5V output rated for 30A. As I mentioned, power
supplies usually work adequately despite such deficiencies because the
average computer draws so little power.

David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<10pmg49bjqu0fae@corp.supernews.com>...

> larrymoencurly wrote:
>
> > "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:<10pl8frmn2gn56f@corp.supernews.com>...

> > > why the better companies bother with higher-capacity
> > > components in their supplies if they don't improve reliability?
> >
> > to get you to pay more, what else

> > > That could be the case with PC Power & Cooling, but
> > > What incentive is there for Dell's power supply
> > > manufacturers to include such hidden improvements?

> 'Bigger and heavier' doesn't always mean 'higher capacity' though. For
> example, one might use 'large' heatsinks to offset the heat generated by
> low cost, less efficient, power devices, etc. and it's sometimes less
> expensive to use a 'larger' part than the, more difficult to make,
> 'miniaturized' version.

As all but the newer ATX power supplies have roughly the same 70%
efficiency, bigger heatsink size should be related to quality, except
when the fan is very large and allows much smaller heatsinks to handle
the same amount of heat. Regarding custom or miniturized components,
I've never seen any in an ATX supply, except for transformers and
heatsinks, which are usually custom anyway, but I doubt they're any
smaller because of this. Otherwise the only custom components I
remember seeing were in AT or XT supplies: an Astec chip in an Astec
and ceramic or encapsulated surface-mount controller daughter boards.

Andy

http://www.directron.com/9804.html
Powmax Mid-Tower Case
Powmax mid-tower ATX cases / chassis. Two front USB ports.

Specifications: Dimensions (WxDxH): 200*485*435mm, 7.87" x 19.09" x
17.12". Drive Bays: 4 x 5.25" external; 2 x 3.5" external; 4 x 3.5"
internal. Main Board Size: ATX . Pentium4. Expansion slot: 7. Cooling
fan (optional): 2 x 80mm rear case fans; 1 x 120mm front case fan. One
0.5w speaker.

do_not_spam_me wrote:

> David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<10pmg49bjqu0fae@corp.supernews.com>...
>

>>larrymoencurly wrote:

>>>to get you to pay more, what else

>>'Bigger and heavier' doesn't always mean 'higher capacity' though. For
>>example, one might use 'large' heatsinks to offset the heat generated by
>>low cost, less efficient, power devices, etc. and it's sometimes less
>>expensive to use a 'larger' part than the, more difficult to make,
>>'miniaturized' version.
>

> As all but the newer ATX power supplies have roughly the same 70%
> efficiency, bigger heatsink size should be related to quality, except
> when the fan is very large and allows much smaller heatsinks to handle
> the same amount of heat.

The variability in component parameters and fan airflow to cause
significant heatsink differences does not necessarily drastically alter the
overall efficiency.

David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<10pp3l22fspmia4@corp.supernews.com>...
> do_not_spam_me wrote:

>'Bigger and heavier' doesn't always mean 'higher capacity' though.
For
>example, one might use 'large' heatsinks to offset the heat generated
by
>low cost, less efficient, power devices, etc. and it's sometimes less
>expensive to use a 'larger' part than the, more difficult to make,
>'miniaturized' version.

> > As all but the newer ATX power supplies have roughly the same 70%
> > efficiency, bigger heatsink size should be related to quality, except
> > when the fan is very large and allows much smaller heatsinks to handle
> > the same amount of heat.
>
> The variability in component parameters and fan airflow to cause
> significant heatsink differences does not necessarily drastically alter the
> overall efficiency.

I never said it did, and in practice, except for the newer single
large-fan ATX supplies, larger heatsinks aren't used to offset lower
efficiency because efficiency isn't lower.

do_not_spam_me wrote:

> David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<10pp3l22fspmia4@corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>do_not_spam_me wrote:
>

>>'Bigger and heavier' doesn't always mean 'higher capacity' though.
>
> For
>
>>example, one might use 'large' heatsinks to offset the heat generated
>
> by
>
>>low cost, less efficient, power devices, etc. and it's sometimes less
>>expensive to use a 'larger' part than the, more difficult to make,
>>'miniaturized' version.
>

>>>As all but the newer ATX power supplies have roughly the same 70%
>>>efficiency, bigger heatsink size should be related to quality, except
>>>when the fan is very large and allows much smaller heatsinks to handle
>>>the same amount of heat.
>>
>>The variability in component parameters and fan airflow to cause
>>significant heatsink differences does not necessarily drastically alter the
>>overall efficiency.
>

> I never said it did, and in practice, except for the newer single
> large-fan ATX supplies, larger heatsinks aren't used to offset lower
> efficiency because efficiency isn't lower.

We're talking past each other. You suggested that individual components
wouldn't be 'lower efficiency' because the overall PSU efficiency was a
relatively constant 70%. I was explaining that the 'component' on a
heatsink could be of lower efficiency, necessitating a larger heatsink,
without it necessarily showing up in the overall PSU efficiency because
it's a combination of factors, not just a particular component.

David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<10pqirv5licvp8e@corp.supernews.com>...

> You suggested that individual components wouldn't be 'lower
> efficiency' because the overall PSU efficiency was a
> relatively constant 70%.

I wasn't suggesting that at all, but you're right that component and
overall efficiencies can be different, although in practice it isn't
for older ATX supplies, which are all very similar in design.

> 'Bigger and heavier' doesn't always mean 'higher capacity'
> though. For example, one might use 'large' heatsinks to offset
> the heat generated by low cost, less efficient, power devices,
> etc.

Have you ever seen an example of this in an older ATX supply (not
fanless or with a 120mm+ fan)? I haven't, and the Rds or Vf of the
components I've seen attached to them were the same or lower than
those on smaller heatsinks. I'm not completely ruling out the
possibility that makers of cheap supplies all use more efficient
transistors and diodes, but...