Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Print Folder Contents??

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 7, 2005 10:47:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

After a recent problem resolution exercise I am interested
in having a hardcopy of (at least) the OPTIONS\INSTALL
folder. A quick run through Google for "how to print folder
contents" showed multiple recommendations for a couple of
tools.

Directory Printer from
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
PrintFolder from http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

Have any of you used these tools? Are they safe/good to use
with ME? Any other comments.

TIA

Job remarks, "Sometimes I can't see the trees for the
forest!"

More about : print folder contents

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:00:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Certainly Karen's Directory Printer is good but I've never tried
PrintFolder.

However, in the meantime for an 'urgent' printout, you could always use the
Print Screen facility. (The PrtSc button copies the screen to the clipboard
and then you can paste it into e.g. Paint and print it out.

Mart


"Job" <iam@best.slow> wrote in message
news:uUw1ffXDFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> After a recent problem resolution exercise I am interested
> in having a hardcopy of (at least) the OPTIONS\INSTALL
> folder. A quick run through Google for "how to print folder
> contents" showed multiple recommendations for a couple of
> tools.
>
> Directory Printer from
> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
> PrintFolder from http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/
>
> Have any of you used these tools? Are they safe/good to use
> with ME? Any other comments.
>
> TIA
>
> Job remarks, "Sometimes I can't see the trees for the
> forest!"
>
>
February 8, 2005 4:00:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Thanks for the input Mart. I'm lazy, desire something less
strenuous <g>.

Job

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:u5s1JmXDFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Certainly Karen's Directory Printer is good but I've never
tried
> PrintFolder.
>
> However, in the meantime for an 'urgent' printout, you
could always use the
> Print Screen facility. (The PrtSc button copies the screen
to the clipboard
> and then you can paste it into e.g. Paint and print it
out.
>
> Mart
>
>
> "Job" <iam@best.slow> wrote in message
> news:uUw1ffXDFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > After a recent problem resolution exercise I am
interested
> > in having a hardcopy of (at least) the OPTIONS\INSTALL
> > folder. A quick run through Google for "how to print
folder
> > contents" showed multiple recommendations for a couple
of
> > tools.
> >
> > Directory Printer from
> > http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
> > PrintFolder from
http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/
> >
> > Have any of you used these tools? Are they safe/good to
use
> > with ME? Any other comments.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Job remarks, "Sometimes I can't see the trees for the
> > forest!"
> >
> >
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:19:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Another quick and dirty way would be to go to a DOS prompt, run DIR and
pipe the output into a text file which could then be printed or edited via
notepad.

a) Open a DOS windows (Start | Programs | Accessories | MS-DOS prompt).
b) Using CD OPTIONS and then CD INSTALL navigate to the
C:\Windows\Options\Install folder
c) Then type
DIR > C:\LIST.TXT
this will then place the output of the DIR command in a plain text file
list.txt in the root of C:
d) Open list.txt using Notepad, edit as necessary and then print.

See also KB272623 - "How to add the print directory feature to Windows
Explorer" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272623) and KB196628 - "How
to Print a Folder Listing in Windows"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=196628) (Mart's suggestion).
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:

> Certainly Karen's Directory Printer is good but I've never tried
> PrintFolder.
>
> However, in the meantime for an 'urgent' printout, you could always
> use the Print Screen facility. (The PrtSc button copies the screen to
> the clipboard and then you can paste it into e.g. Paint and print it
> out.
February 8, 2005 4:19:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Thanks for the info Mike. I've never done anything with
DOS, guess it should be another step up my learning ladder.


"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:o 4Doz4XDFHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Another quick and dirty way would be to go to a DOS
prompt, run DIR and
> pipe the output into a text file which could then be
printed or edited via
> notepad.
>
> a) Open a DOS windows (Start | Programs | Accessories |
MS-DOS prompt).
> b) Using CD OPTIONS and then CD INSTALL navigate to the
> C:\Windows\Options\Install folder
> c) Then type
> DIR > C:\LIST.TXT
> this will then place the output of the DIR command in a
plain text file
> list.txt in the root of C:
> d) Open list.txt using Notepad, edit as necessary and then
print.
>
> See also KB272623 - "How to add the print directory
feature to Windows
> Explorer" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272623) and
KB196628 - "How
> to Print a Folder Listing in Windows"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=196628) (Mart's
suggestion).
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > Certainly Karen's Directory Printer is good but I've
never tried
> > PrintFolder.
> >
> > However, in the meantime for an 'urgent' printout, you
could always
> > use the Print Screen facility. (The PrtSc button copies
the screen to
> > the clipboard and then you can paste it into e.g. Paint
and print it
> > out.
>
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 7:23:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hey Mike! - Never knew KB196628 existed - Neat! And thanks for the pointer.

Mart


"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
news:o 4Doz4XDFHA.1392@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Another quick and dirty way would be to go to a DOS prompt, run DIR and
> pipe the output into a text file which could then be printed or edited via
> notepad.
>
> a) Open a DOS windows (Start | Programs | Accessories | MS-DOS prompt).
> b) Using CD OPTIONS and then CD INSTALL navigate to the
> C:\Windows\Options\Install folder
> c) Then type
> DIR > C:\LIST.TXT
> this will then place the output of the DIR command in a plain text file
> list.txt in the root of C:
> d) Open list.txt using Notepad, edit as necessary and then print.
>
> See also KB272623 - "How to add the print directory feature to Windows
> Explorer" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272623) and KB196628 - "How
> to Print a Folder Listing in Windows"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=196628) (Mart's suggestion).
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>
>
> Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Certainly Karen's Directory Printer is good but I've never tried
>> PrintFolder.
>>
>> However, in the meantime for an 'urgent' printout, you could always
>> use the Print Screen facility. (The PrtSc button copies the screen to
>> the clipboard and then you can paste it into e.g. Paint and print it
>> out.
>
July 26, 2010 10:29:48 AM

job said:
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

After a recent problem resolution exercise I am interested
in having a hardcopy of (at least) the OPTIONS\INSTALL
folder. A quick run through Google for "how to print folder
contents" showed multiple recommendations for a couple of
tools.

Directory Printer from
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
PrintFolder from http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

Have any of you used these tools? Are they safe/good to use
with ME? Any other comments.

TIA

Job remarks, "Sometimes I can't see the trees for the
forest!"



I use a Folder Printer
!