Cannot Find Server

Gradually and on and off I lost contact with OE on my main machine, as well
as IE cannot find server.
When I click on it, it says something about proxy, but I don't use this
server.
It was checked off but I unchecked it.
This all happened from yesterday to today, with me not noticing anything
that might have caused it.
I scanned and defragged in Safe Mode and errors were found on both my
drives, but "Windows fixed them all".
Any ideas or more info needed?
Thanks.

Harry.

No ideas why, Harry - but if its still causing you a problem, perhaps a
System Restore back to the 'day before yesterday' may help.

Mart

"webster72n" <Zero@None.org> wrote in message
> Gradually and on and off I lost contact with OE on my main machine, as
> well
> as IE cannot find server.
> When I click on it, it says something about proxy, but I don't use this
> server.
> It was checked off but I unchecked it.
> This all happened from yesterday to today, with me not noticing anything
> that might have caused it.
> I scanned and defragged in Safe Mode and errors were found on both my
> drives, but "Windows fixed them all".
> Any ideas or more info needed?
> Thanks.
>
> Harry.

Hello Mike:

Why didn't I think of that?
Maybe this will clear up my other problem, where the password and the
connect automatically boxes are
blanked out in the "Connect to" box. If it doesn't, I'll be back to let you
know.
The only thing with System Restore, it never worked for me, the few times I
tried it. Hope I get lucky this time.
This whole thin is making my head spin, because on top of it I am battling
with some major health issues.
Just can't afford to weaken.
Thanks Mike.

Harry.

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> No ideas why, Harry - but if its still causing you a problem, perhaps a
> System Restore back to the 'day before yesterday' may help.
>
> Mart
>

> "webster72n" <Zero@None.org> wrote in message
> > Gradually and on and off I lost contact with OE on my main machine, as
> > well
> > as IE cannot find server.
> > When I click on it, it says something about proxy, but I don't use this
> > server.
> > It was checked off but I unchecked it.
> > This all happened from yesterday to today, with me not noticing anything
> > that might have caused it.
> > I scanned and defragged in Safe Mode and errors were found on both my
> > drives, but "Windows fixed them all".
> > Any ideas or more info needed?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Harry.

Mart:
Here I am, back already.
I am sorry about the name mixup again.
My apologies to you and Mike.
The System Restauration was unsuccessful.
My computer cannot be restored to a previous date.
The system remained unchanged.
If I remember correctly, that's exactly what happened previously, when I
tried this feature. Have no idea why.
For my other subject I am going to create a new post.
This whole thing started after I downloaded and installed
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6, including the photo shop.
It all has something to do with my dial-up adapter.
Used to have only one and when I seen two others besides, I removed them.
Right after that my computer prompted me to install the software for an
unknown device, but there is none listed under "Devices".
Everything is working properly there.
I just have to keep searching and if nothing comes up,
format Drive 'C' and install WinME all over again.
Thank you.

Harry.

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> No ideas why, Harry - but if its still causing you a problem, perhaps a
> System Restore back to the 'day before yesterday' may help.
>
> Mart
>

> "webster72n" <Zero@None.org> wrote in message
> > Gradually and on and off I lost contact with OE on my main machine, as
> > well
> > as IE cannot find server.
> > When I click on it, it says something about proxy, but I don't use this
> > server.
> > It was checked off but I unchecked it.
> > This all happened from yesterday to today, with me not noticing anything
> > that might have caused it.
> > I scanned and defragged in Safe Mode and errors were found on both my
> > drives, but "Windows fixed them all".
> > Any ideas or more info needed?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Harry.

Restoration Unsuccessful:
A failure to restore to a previously created checkpoint is often a sign
that the 290700 patch for system restore wasn't installed when the
checkpoint to which you were trying to return was created. If that is the
case the checkpoint is useless.

What is the version of the file smgr.dll in the windows\system folder?
You can check this by locating this file in Windows Explorer, selecting,
right clicking and choosing Properties and then clicking the Version tab.
If not 4.90.0.3003 then that could be the cause of the problem and you
need to download and install the 290700 patch for system restore. The
easiest way to do this is from the link in the associated KB article
(KB290700 - "Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not
restore your computer" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=290700).

It is also possible that at one stage you did install this patch but have
subsequently reinstalled Win Me over itself using the Win Me CD. Doing
this causes the original, broken, version of smgr.dll to be reinstalled.
If this problem is a result of your having reinstalled Win Me over itself
may I recommend you to download and use the Belarc Advisor
(http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) which will help you in
identify which other patches also need to be reinstalled.

Finally you may want to give system restore the once over by carrying out
the following quick test.
a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
b) Create a manual checkpoint
c) Delete the shortcut
d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <Zero@None.org> wrote:

> Mart:
> Here I am, back already.
> I am sorry about the name mixup again.
> My apologies to you and Mike.
> The System Restauration was unsuccessful.
> My computer cannot be restored to a previous date.
> The system remained unchanged.
> If I remember correctly, that's exactly what happened previously,
> when I tried this feature. Have no idea why.
> For my other subject I am going to create a new post.
> This whole thing started after I downloaded and installed
> Adobe Acrobat Reader 6, including the photo shop.
> It all has something to do with my dial-up adapter.
> Used to have only one and when I seen two others besides, I removed
> them. Right after that my computer prompted me to install the
> software for an unknown device, but there is none listed under
> "Devices".
> Everything is working properly there.
> I just have to keep searching and if nothing comes up,
> format Drive 'C' and install WinME all over again.
> Thank you.

Don't worry about the name mix-up George <g>

Harry, as (for the moment) SR isn't working, you *might* get away with the
scanreg /restore ploy. You could try reverting to the last 'good' registry
prior to the problem happening, to see if that will bring things back again.

Although it is possible do this in Normal and Safe Mode, under the
circumstances I would suggest you do it in Real Mode DOS. Try booting, using
your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk and choose 4) Minimal Boot.

At the A:\> prompt, type "scanreg /restore" (no quotes and note the space
between the g and /) then press Enter.

Follow the screen prompts and when asked, select the LAST 'good' date BEFORE
THE PROBLEM, continuing with the instructions.

Don't forget to remove the floppy disk BEFORE you tell the machine to
reboot.

> Mart:
> Here I am, back already.
> I am sorry about the name mixup again.
> My apologies to you and Mike.
> The System Restauration was unsuccessful.
> My computer cannot be restored to a previous date.
> The system remained unchanged.
> If I remember correctly, that's exactly what happened previously, when I
> tried this feature. Have no idea why.
> For my other subject I am going to create a new post.
> This whole thing started after I downloaded and installed
> Adobe Acrobat Reader 6, including the photo shop.
> It all has something to do with my dial-up adapter.
> Used to have only one and when I seen two others besides, I removed them.
> Right after that my computer prompted me to install the software for an
> unknown device, but there is none listed under "Devices".
> Everything is working properly there.
> I just have to keep searching and if nothing comes up,
> format Drive 'C' and install WinME all over again.
> Thank you.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> No ideas why, Harry - but if its still causing you a problem, perhaps a
>> System Restore back to the 'day before yesterday' may help.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "webster72n" <Zero@None.org> wrote in message
>> > Gradually and on and off I lost contact with OE on my main machine, as
>> > well
>> > as IE cannot find server.
>> > When I click on it, it says something about proxy, but I don't use this
>> > server.
>> > It was checked off but I unchecked it.
>> > This all happened from yesterday to today, with me not noticing
>> > anything
>> > that might have caused it.
>> > I scanned and defragged in Safe Mode and errors were found on both my
>> > drives, but "Windows fixed them all".
>> > Any ideas or more info needed?
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Harry.

Mart:

This is coming to you from my main machine.
Worked like a charm. There were only three days to go back to, but I chose
the earliest one and it worked.
Am I ever glad!
Thanks a million, Mart, Mike and, last not least, Shane.
You've saved me a heap of trouble.
I must remember this little trick with "scanreg /restore".
It was quite an experience to me.
I will look into your suggestion too, Mike, about the correct version of the
smgr.dll file. My current version of WinME is not a makeover but a fresh
install.
Thanks again, for making me a happy camper.

> Don't worry about the name mix-up George <g>
>
> Harry, as (for the moment) SR isn't working, you *might* get away with the
> scanreg /restore ploy. You could try reverting to the last 'good' registry
> prior to the problem happening, to see if that will bring things back
again.

> Although it is possible do this in Normal and Safe Mode, under the
> circumstances I would suggest you do it in Real Mode DOS. Try booting,
using
> your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk and choose 4) Minimal Boot.
>
> At the A:\> prompt, type "scanreg /restore" (no quotes and note the space
> between the g and /) then press Enter.
>
> Follow the screen prompts and when asked, select the LAST 'good' date
BEFORE
> THE PROBLEM, continuing with the instructions.
>
> Don't forget to remove the floppy disk BEFORE you tell the machine to
> reboot.
>
> Mart
>

> "webster72n" <Zero@None.org> wrote in message
> > Mart:
> > Here I am, back already.
> > I am sorry about the name mixup again.
> > My apologies to you and Mike.
> > The System Restauration was unsuccessful.
> > My computer cannot be restored to a previous date.
> > The system remained unchanged.
> > If I remember correctly, that's exactly what happened previously, when I
> > tried this feature. Have no idea why.
> > For my other subject I am going to create a new post.
> > This whole thing started after I downloaded and installed
> > Adobe Acrobat Reader 6, including the photo shop.
> > It all has something to do with my dial-up adapter.
> > Used to have only one and when I seen two others besides, I removed
them.
> > Right after that my computer prompted me to install the software for an
> > unknown device, but there is none listed under "Devices".
> > Everything is working properly there.
> > I just have to keep searching and if nothing comes up,
> > format Drive 'C' and install WinME all over again.
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> No ideas why, Harry - but if its still causing you a problem, perhaps a
> >> System Restore back to the 'day before yesterday' may help.
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "webster72n" <Zero@None.org> wrote in message

Shane

Harry,

Try Scanreg /restore.

Shane

"webster72n" <Zero@None.org> wrote in message
> Mart:
> Here I am, back already.
> I am sorry about the name mixup again.
> My apologies to you and Mike.
> The System Restauration was unsuccessful.
> My computer cannot be restored to a previous date.
> The system remained unchanged.
> If I remember correctly, that's exactly what happened previously, when I
> tried this feature. Have no idea why.
> For my other subject I am going to create a new post.
> This whole thing started after I downloaded and installed
> Adobe Acrobat Reader 6, including the photo shop.
> It all has something to do with my dial-up adapter.
> Used to have only one and when I seen two others besides, I removed them.
> Right after that my computer prompted me to install the software for an
> unknown device, but there is none listed under "Devices".
> Everything is working properly there.
> I just have to keep searching and if nothing comes up,
> format Drive 'C' and install WinME all over again.
> Thank you.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > No ideas why, Harry - but if its still causing you a problem, perhaps a
> > System Restore back to the 'day before yesterday' may help.
> >
> > Mart
> >

> > "webster72n" <Zero@None.org> wrote in message
> > > Gradually and on and off I lost contact with OE on my main machine, as
> > > well
> > > as IE cannot find server.
> > > When I click on it, it says something about proxy, but I don't use
this
> > > server.
> > > It was checked off but I unchecked it.
> > > This all happened from yesterday to today, with me not noticing
anything
> > > that might have caused it.
> > > I scanned and defragged in Safe Mode and errors were found on both my
> > > drives, but "Windows fixed them all".
> > > Any ideas or more info needed?
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Harry.

If a fresh install then that's probably the problem since it would appear
you may not yet have installed all the many patches that have been
released since Win Me was launched 4½ years ago. I would make sure that
you install 290700 ASAP so that you have your lifebelt ready and waiting.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> Mart:
>
> This is coming to you from my main machine.
> Worked like a charm. There were only three days to go back to, but I
> chose the earliest one and it worked.
> Am I ever glad!
> Thanks a million, Mart, Mike and, last not least, Shane.
> You've saved me a heap of trouble.
> I must remember this little trick with "scanreg /restore".
> It was quite an experience to me.
> I will look into your suggestion too, Mike, about the correct version
> of the smgr.dll file. My current version of WinME is not a makeover
> but a fresh install.
> Thanks again, for making me a happy camper.

Will do, Mike. Thanks.

Harry.

> If a fresh install then that's probably the problem since it would appear
> you may not yet have installed all the many patches that have been
> released since Win Me was launched 4½ years ago. I would make sure that
> you install 290700 ASAP so that you have your lifebelt ready and waiting.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > Mart:
> >
> > This is coming to you from my main machine.
> > Worked like a charm. There were only three days to go back to, but I
> > chose the earliest one and it worked.
> > Am I ever glad!
> > Thanks a million, Mart, Mike and, last not least, Shane.
> > You've saved me a heap of trouble.
> > I must remember this little trick with "scanreg /restore".
> > It was quite an experience to me.
> > I will look into your suggestion too, Mike, about the correct version
> > of the smgr.dll file. My current version of WinME is not a makeover
> > but a fresh install.
> > Thanks again, for making me a happy camper.

Well done Harry! -- BUT... you MUST now concentrate on fixing your SR
problem. PDQ!!

Come back if you have any problems and I'm sure Mike (the worlds expert on
SR) will happily walk you thru' it.

Mart

> [...]
>> > My apologies to you and Mike.
>> > The System Restauration was unsuccessful.
>> > My computer cannot be restored to a previous date.
>> > The system remained unchanged.
>> > If I remember correctly, that's exactly what happened previously, when
>> > tried this feature. Have no idea why.
>> > For my other subject I am going to create a new post.
>> > This whole thing started after I downloaded and installed
>> > Adobe Acrobat Reader 6, including the photo shop.
>> > It all has something to do with my dial-up adapter.
>> > Used to have only one and when I seen two others besides, I removed
> them.
>> > Right after that my computer prompted me to install the software for an
>> > unknown device, but there is none listed under "Devices".
>> > Everything is working properly there.
>> > I just have to keep searching and if nothing comes up,
>> > format Drive 'C' and install WinME all over again.

Your concern is very much appreciated, Mart.
I will try all of your suggestions. I have BelArc on my machine. The 290700
patch is already installed and cannot be the culprit. Will have to look
somewhere else.
Right now I am going to "take five".
You have no idea how I struggled since yesterday in the afternoon. I
definitely need a break.
Thak you.

> Well done Harry! -- BUT... you MUST now concentrate on fixing your SR
> problem. PDQ!!

> Come back if you have any problems and I'm sure Mike (the worlds expert on
> SR) will happily walk you thru' it.
>
> Mart
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Mart:
> >
> > This is coming to you from my main machine.
> > Worked like a charm. There were only three days to go back to, but I
chose
> > the earliest one and it worked.
> > Am I ever glad!
> > Thanks a million, Mart, Mike and, last not least, Shane.
> > You've saved me a heap of trouble.
> > I must remember this little trick with "scanreg /restore".
> > It was quite an experience to me.
> > I will look into your suggestion too, Mike, about the correct version of
> > the
> > smgr.dll file. My current version of WinME is not a makeover but a fresh
> > install.
> > Thanks again, for making me a happy camper.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Don't worry about the name mix-up George <g>
> >>
> >> Harry, as (for the moment) SR isn't working, you *might* get away with
> >> the
> >> scanreg /restore ploy. You could try reverting to the last 'good'
> >> registry
> >> prior to the problem happening, to see if that will bring things back
> > again.
> >>
> >> Although it is possible do this in Normal and Safe Mode, under the
> >> circumstances I would suggest you do it in Real Mode DOS. Try booting,
> > using
> >> your Windows Startup (floppy) Disk and choose 4) Minimal Boot.
> >>
> >> At the A:\> prompt, type "scanreg /restore" (no quotes and note the
space
> >> between the g and /) then press Enter.
> >>
> >> Follow the screen prompts and when asked, select the LAST 'good' date
> > BEFORE
> >> THE PROBLEM, continuing with the instructions.
> >>
> >> Don't forget to remove the floppy disk BEFORE you tell the machine to
> >> reboot.
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "webster72n" <Zero@None.org> wrote in message
> > them.

> > as
> > this

Have you checked the version of smgr.dll in the windows\system folder?
Ignore, if present, copies of this file in other locations. Have you run
the quick test I suggested?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> Your concern is very much appreciated, Mart.
> I will try all of your suggestions. I have BelArc on my machine. The
> 290700 patch is already installed and cannot be the culprit. Will
> have to look somewhere else.
> Right now I am going to "take five".
> You have no idea how I struggled since yesterday in the afternoon. I
> definitely need a break.

I'll do the quick test, Mike, but when I wanted to run Ad-Aware SE Personal,
the definitions were either not loaded or invalid. How can I obtain them?
Along the way I'll probably find some more discrepancies.
We'll tackle them as we go.

Harry.

> Have you checked the version of smgr.dll in the windows\system folder?
> Ignore, if present, copies of this file in other locations. Have you run
> the quick test I suggested?
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > Your concern is very much appreciated, Mart.
> > I will try all of your suggestions. I have BelArc on my machine. The
> > 290700 patch is already installed and cannot be the culprit. Will
> > have to look somewhere else.
> > Right now I am going to "take five".
> > You have no idea how I struggled since yesterday in the afternoon. I
> > definitely need a break.

The quick test performed without a hitch, Mike.
Don't know why it didn't want to work before, but then,
that's what you are here for, right?
When I ran 'msconfig', it opened up wit this message before showing the
regular display:
"Environment variables were found in the legacy files
AUTOEXE.BAT and/or CONFIG.SYS and the variables were moved to the Windows
Registry".
Must that be fixed?

Harry.

> Have you checked the version of smgr.dll in the windows\system folder?
> Ignore, if present, copies of this file in other locations. Have you run
> the quick test I suggested?
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > Your concern is very much appreciated, Mart.
> > I will try all of your suggestions. I have BelArc on my machine. The
> > 290700 patch is already installed and cannot be the culprit. Will
> > have to look somewhere else.
> > Right now I am going to "take five".
> > You have no idea how I struggled since yesterday in the afternoon. I
> > definitely need a break.

New problem, new thread please Harry which will then enable someone who
has an interest in supporting AdAware to respond.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> I'll do the quick test, Mike, but when I wanted to run Ad-Aware SE
> Personal, the definitions were either not loaded or invalid. How can
> I obtain them? Along the way I'll probably find some more
> discrepancies.
> We'll tackle them as we go.

No problem, Mike

Harry.

> New problem, new thread please Harry which will then enable someone who
> has an interest in supporting AdAware to respond.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > I'll do the quick test, Mike, but when I wanted to run Ad-Aware SE
> > Personal, the definitions were either not loaded or invalid. How can
> > I obtain them? Along the way I'll probably find some more
> > discrepancies.
> > We'll tackle them as we go.

Harry,

First part of the message OK, the second is another new problem ....

See MS KB262786 - "Message Received When You Start the System
Configuration Utility: "Environment Variables Were Moved to Windows
Registry"" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=262786). I see this message
the first time I use MSConfig in a session on my Win Me box and this is
due to the drivers for its old Ensoniq audio card accessing autoexec.bat
each time the system boots and seemingly changing the last modified
timestamp thus misleading the system into "thinking" that the contents may
have changed.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> The quick test performed without a hitch, Mike.
> Don't know why it didn't want to work before, but then,
> that's what you are here for, right?
> When I ran 'msconfig', it opened up wit this message before showing
> the regular display:
> "Environment variables were found in the legacy files
> AUTOEXE.BAT and/or CONFIG.SYS and the variables were moved to the
> Windows Registry".
> Must that be fixed?

Mike:

I've red the article and don't think that I have anything to worry about.
The message didn't reocurr.
Hope for the best.
Thank you.

Harry.

> Harry,
>
> First part of the message OK, the second is another new problem ....
>
> See MS KB262786 - "Message Received When You Start the System
> Configuration Utility: "Environment Variables Were Moved to Windows
> Registry"" (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=262786). I see this message
> the first time I use MSConfig in a session on my Win Me box and this is
> due to the drivers for its old Ensoniq audio card accessing autoexec.bat
> each time the system boots and seemingly changing the last modified
> timestamp thus misleading the system into "thinking" that the contents may
> have changed.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > The quick test performed without a hitch, Mike.
> > Don't know why it didn't want to work before, but then,
> > that's what you are here for, right?
> > When I ran 'msconfig', it opened up wit this message before showing
> > the regular display:
> > "Environment variables were found in the legacy files
> > AUTOEXE.BAT and/or CONFIG.SYS and the variables were moved to the
> > Windows Registry".
> > Must that be fixed?

TRENDING THREADS