Please help with registry question...

Please note I'm no computer Wiz! So respond simply if you can. I have
Windows ME.

I'm having DLL Problems. I cannot access my files from My computer or
file Explorer. I have a split drive a C and a D. And cannot access
either.

I CAN access the Internet Explorer (Explorer 6), thus this mail.

Whenever I try to open my files I get:

"An unknown error has occurred in..."

SHDOCVW.DLL or sometimes DIMM.DLL or sometimes SHELL32.DLL .

It used to say just an unknown error "has occurred", thus it lead me to
believe it was Spyware.

I have run ADAWARE, SPYBOT, CWSHREDDER, and STINGER. I have also run a
few registry cleaners, but I think this could of made the problems
worse. I don't know.

I went to a website called "dll-file.com" and tried to download the DLL
files. However, when I try to replace the files the ones there are
protected and I can't seem to replace, just in case they are corrupted.

THE BIG PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT MY CD'S THAT CAME WITH MY COMPUTER ARE
NOT READILY AVAILABLE. I AM IN JAPAN AND THEY ARE SOMEWHERE IN
AMERICA. I CANNOT JUST WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
2 answers Last reply
More about please registry question

    Try Repairing IE.

    Start/Settings/ControlPanel/AddRemovePrograms/InternetExplorer...Repair

    Rick

    Onemore wrote:
    > Please note I'm no computer Wiz! So respond simply if you can. I have
    > Windows ME.
    >
    > I'm having DLL Problems. I cannot access my files from My computer or
    > file Explorer. I have a split drive a C and a D. And cannot access
    > either.
    >
    > I CAN access the Internet Explorer (Explorer 6), thus this mail.
    >
    > Whenever I try to open my files I get:
    >
    > "An unknown error has occurred in..."
    >
    > SHDOCVW.DLL or sometimes DIMM.DLL or sometimes SHELL32.DLL .
    >
    > It used to say just an unknown error "has occurred", thus it lead me to
    > believe it was Spyware.
    >
    > I have run ADAWARE, SPYBOT, CWSHREDDER, and STINGER. I have also run a
    > few registry cleaners, but I think this could of made the problems
    > worse. I don't know.
    >
    > I went to a website called "dll-file.com" and tried to download the DLL
    > files. However, when I try to replace the files the ones there are
    > protected and I can't seem to replace, just in case they are corrupted.
    >
    > THE BIG PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT MY CD'S THAT CAME WITH MY COMPUTER ARE
    > NOT READILY AVAILABLE. I AM IN JAPAN AND THEY ARE SOMEWHERE IN
    > AMERICA. I CANNOT JUST WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.

    If this has only very recently (last few days) happened, you could try
    running System Restore and roll-back to before the 'editing' took place.
    With a bit of luck, it should get you back to where you were.

    BTW - Don't worry too much if you don't have your WinMe CD available. If
    necessary, you should be able to get "fresh" copies of any missing/damaged
    original files from your CAB files, located in the C:\Windows\Options\Instal
    or CABS folder.

    These will be compressed, so you may need to use msconfig.exe to extract
    them.

    Mart

    "Onemore" <onemorerun2003@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Please note I'm no computer Wiz! So respond simply if you can. I have
    > Windows ME.
    >
    > I'm having DLL Problems. I cannot access my files from My computer or
    > file Explorer. I have a split drive a C and a D. And cannot access
    > either.
    >
    > I CAN access the Internet Explorer (Explorer 6), thus this mail.
    >
    > Whenever I try to open my files I get:
    >
    > "An unknown error has occurred in..."
    >
    > SHDOCVW.DLL or sometimes DIMM.DLL or sometimes SHELL32.DLL .
    >
    > It used to say just an unknown error "has occurred", thus it lead me to
    > believe it was Spyware.
    >
    > I have run ADAWARE, SPYBOT, CWSHREDDER, and STINGER. I have also run a
    > few registry cleaners, but I think this could of made the problems
    > worse. I don't know.
    >
    > I went to a website called "dll-file.com" and tried to download the DLL
    > files. However, when I try to replace the files the ones there are
    > protected and I can't seem to replace, just in case they are corrupted.
    >
    > THE BIG PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT MY CD'S THAT CAME WITH MY COMPUTER ARE
    > NOT READILY AVAILABLE. I AM IN JAPAN AND THEY ARE SOMEWHERE IN
    > AMERICA. I CANNOT JUST WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.

Computers DLL Windows