Changing Drive Letters

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 8, 2005 1:15:23 PM

The drives in my system are set up as
A = Floppy
C = Hard drive
M = Mitsumi CDRW
N = Samsung CDR

Trying to familiarize myself with the Device Manager, I
booted into Safe Mode, entered the Device Manager, removed
the Samsung drive and did a cold reboot.

The system came back up with the Samsung now labeled "D".
Since I didn't understand what the effects of this
"re-label" might be, I did a Sys Restore to get back to the
original "N" label.

I assume letting Windows reload the drivers, etc for the
Samsung drive led to the drive being re-labeled which raises
the questions:
1) Would it have caused any system problems if I had let
the re-label stay?
2) Is there a method to manually change the letter
assignments for the drives?

TIA

Job mumbles, "I can make a sow's ear out of a silk purse."

More about : changing drive letters

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 8, 2005 6:53:24 PM

Under the circumstances - you (correctly) did a System Restore to get back
to where you were. - Well done!

Or, in Normal Mode, in Device Manager you could have 're-designated' the
drive letter in the devices properties page where there is an option to do
this.

> 1) Would it have caused any system problems if I had let
> the re-label stay?

Possibly, but only if you had any applications which rely on you reading a
particular CD on THAT particular drive, e.g an encyclopaedia program, etc.

But that is 'usually resolvable' by changing the path statement to show the
'new' label, should an error report arise. It's not 'usually' a major
problem for CD-ROM's but *could/would* cause you headaches if you tried to
re-label your HHD's. (In your particular case, WinMe will prevent you trying
to change the letter for either the C: or the A: drive)

> 2) Is there a method to manually change the letter
> assignments for the drives?

In Normal Mode, in Device Manager you could have 're-designated' the drive
letter in the devices properties page. There is an option to do this.

BTW - You *may* wish consider changing them to "R" for the Reader (Samsung
CDR) and "W" for the Writer (Mitsumi CDRW) - Just a thought.

Mart

"Job" <iam@best.slow> wrote in message
> The drives in my system are set up as
> A = Floppy
> C = Hard drive
> M = Mitsumi CDRW
> N = Samsung CDR
>
> Trying to familiarize myself with the Device Manager, I
> booted into Safe Mode, entered the Device Manager, removed
> the Samsung drive and did a cold reboot.
>
> The system came back up with the Samsung now labeled "D".
> Since I didn't understand what the effects of this
> "re-label" might be, I did a Sys Restore to get back to the
> original "N" label.
>
> I assume letting Windows reload the drivers, etc for the
> Samsung drive led to the drive being re-labeled which raises
> the questions:
> 1) Would it have caused any system problems if I had let
> the re-label stay?
> 2) Is there a method to manually change the letter
> assignments for the drives?
>
> TIA
>
> Job mumbles, "I can make a sow's ear out of a silk purse."

February 8, 2005 6:53:25 PM

Thanks Mart,

As usual you have provided some very helpful info. I will
play with "Normal mode" and "designating".

Job says, "The most difficult thing about retirement is
determining what task you don't want to do today."

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o EqwTZfDFHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Under the circumstances - you (correctly) did a System
Restore to get back
> to where you were. - Well done!
>
> Or, in Normal Mode, in Device Manager you could have
're-designated' the
> drive letter in the devices properties page where there is
an option to do
> this.
>
> > 1) Would it have caused any system problems if I had
let
> > the re-label stay?
>
> Possibly, but only if you had any applications which rely
on you reading a
> particular CD on THAT particular drive, e.g an
encyclopaedia program, etc.

> But that is 'usually resolvable' by changing the path
statement to show the
> 'new' label, should an error report arise. It's not
'usually' a major
> problem for CD-ROM's but *could/would* cause you headaches
if you tried to
> re-label your HHD's. (In your particular case, WinMe will
prevent you trying
> to change the letter for either the C: or the A: drive)
>
> > 2) Is there a method to manually change the letter
> > assignments for the drives?
>
> In Normal Mode, in Device Manager you could have
're-designated' the drive
> letter in the devices properties page. There is an option
to do this.

> BTW - You *may* wish consider changing them to "R" for the
Reader (Samsung
> CDR) and "W" for the Writer (Mitsumi CDRW) - Just a
thought.

> Mart
>

> "Job" <iam@best.slow> wrote in message
> > The drives in my system are set up as
> > A = Floppy
> > C = Hard drive
> > M = Mitsumi CDRW
> > N = Samsung CDR
> >
> > Trying to familiarize myself with the Device Manager, I
> > booted into Safe Mode, entered the Device Manager,
removed
> > the Samsung drive and did a cold reboot.
> >
> > The system came back up with the Samsung now labeled
"D".
> > Since I didn't understand what the effects of this
> > "re-label" might be, I did a Sys Restore to get back to
the
> > original "N" label.
> >
> > I assume letting Windows reload the drivers, etc for the
> > Samsung drive led to the drive being re-labeled which
raises
> > the questions:
> > 1) Would it have caused any system problems if I had
let
> > the re-label stay?
> > 2) Is there a method to manually change the letter
> > assignments for the drives?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Job mumbles, "I can make a sow's ear out of a silk
purse."

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
February 8, 2005 8:58:07 PM

You're Welcome, Job

But Job also says, "The most difficult thing about retirement is ..."

...... that the word just does not exist in my vocabulary <g>

!