Motherboard installation in Evercase 4252

First time I have used a case that has raised dimples where the
motherboard mounts. No brass standoffs are included. If I were to use
some I have from another installation, the board is raised to high for
the connections to fit at the back. Does this mean I install the
motherboard on the raised dimples, without standoffs? Thanks for your help!

jad

Jeesh I had to look at your sig to see if you were 'leigon'

We were just discussing this 1 day or so back. People are saying, 'on
the dimple'. And as you said. the backplate doesn't line up with
standoffs. So it looks that way. No instructions on the install of the
mainboard? I mean, this is a change on technology, there should be a
insert or something. I still say those 'mounds' are way wider than a
standoff. or is it that the threaded hole is raised off the mounds
top. Frys didn't have any that were that style, as I was glancing
through their assortment today.

"BoyatHeart" <p6888ikh@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> First time I have used a case that has raised dimples where the
> motherboard mounts. No brass standoffs are included. If I were to
use
> some I have from another installation, the board is raised to high
for
> the connections to fit at the back. Does this mean I install the
> motherboard on the raised dimples, without standoffs? Thanks for
your help!

Hi JAD, The case instructions don't cover mounting the motherboard. The
company web site has no further info. The mounds are wider than
standoffs, but don't appear to contact anything sensitive on the
motherboard. I think it will be alright, but I feel butterflies.

BoyatHeart wrote:

> First time I have used a case that has raised dimples where the
> motherboard mounts. No brass standoffs are included. If I were to use
> some I have from another installation, the board is raised to high for
> the connections to fit at the back. Does this mean I install the
> motherboard on the raised dimples, without standoffs? Thanks for your
> help!

That's the way mine works. Just screw it down.

JAD wrote:

> Jeesh I had to look at your sig to see if you were 'leigon'
>
> We were just discussing this 1 day or so back. People are saying, 'on
> the dimple'. And as you said. the backplate doesn't line up with
> standoffs. So it looks that way. No instructions on the install of the
> mainboard? I mean, this is a change on technology, there should be a
> insert or something. I still say those 'mounds' are way wider than a
> standoff.

They are, at the bottom where it doesn't matter.

> or is it that the threaded hole is raised off the mounds
> top.

It is on mine.

> Frys didn't have any that were that style, as I was glancing
> through their assortment today.
>
> "BoyatHeart" <p6888ikh@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
>>First time I have used a case that has raised dimples where the
>>motherboard mounts. No brass standoffs are included. If I were to
>
> use
>
>>some I have from another installation, the board is raised to high
>
> for
>
>>the connections to fit at the back. Does this mean I install the
>>motherboard on the raised dimples, without standoffs? Thanks for
>
> your help!

martin

"BoyatHeart" <p6888ikh@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> First time I have used a case that has raised dimples where the
> motherboard mounts. No brass standoffs are included. If I were to use some
> I have from another installation, the board is raised to high for the
> connections to fit at the back. Does this mean I install the motherboard
> on the raised dimples, without standoffs? Thanks for your help!

I find these motherboard trays with dimples a little worrisome to me.
I've had plenty of times where I had to change the position of the
standoffs, and also remove some because the motherboard's screw holes were
not lined up as usual. What worries me about these trays with dimples is
there would be no way to change the position of them, and if one is in a
position where there is no mounting hole on the motherboard it would then
short the board.

Are you guys sure that these trays are not meant to have standoffs screwed
into these so called "dimples"? I would still use standoffs, but I really
would want to see one of these cases for myself.
I would also try to avoid buying cases such as these for reasons I've
described.

Martin wrote:

> "BoyatHeart" <p6888ikh@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>
>>First time I have used a case that has raised dimples where the
>>motherboard mounts. No brass standoffs are included. If I were to use some
>>I have from another installation, the board is raised to high for the
>>connections to fit at the back. Does this mean I install the motherboard
>>on the raised dimples, without standoffs? Thanks for your help!
>

> I find these motherboard trays with dimples a little worrisome to me.
> I've had plenty of times where I had to change the position of the
> standoffs, and also remove some because the motherboard's screw holes were
> not lined up as usual. What worries me about these trays with dimples is
> there would be no way to change the position of them, and if one is in a
> position where there is no mounting hole on the motherboard it would then
> short the board.

On mine the stamped 'dimples' are located on *The Standard* ATX hole
pattern and if a motherboard did not have matching holes in those locations
it would NOT be in compliance with ATX.

In addition there are 3, 'on the flat' (as you expect them all to be),
threaded standoff mounting holes for (the PCI edge of) mATX (and whatever).

I do note that I have cases using all 'on the flat' screw in standoffs that
have more holes than this one. What those 'extra' holes are for I don't
know, for sure (perhaps AT, Baby AT, or some variation), but they are not
part of the standard ATX hole pattern.

One could say that when this case says it's an "ATX Case" it means it, and
doesn't have a bevy of 'extra' holes for whatever those 'extra' holes would
be for; nor could you mount something not in compliance with the ATX hole
pattern.

It's possible that you had a motherboard with 'extra' holes, in case it was
going to be put in 'one of those' kind of (non ATX) cases, and your case
tray had 'extra' mounting holes, in case you wanted to mount 'one of those'
kind of (non ATX) motherboards that use them, so that the combination of
the two having the 'extra' hole (for compatibility with 'one of those'
whatevers) led you to use them; and then the next motherboard had only the
standard ATX hole pattern, which would necessitate removing the 'extra'
standoffs.

> Are you guys sure that these trays are not meant to have standoffs screwed
> into these so called "dimples"? I would still use standoffs,

It won't align with anything (like the rear I/O plate) if you raise it
another 1/4 inch with standoffs screwed into the already 1/4 inch high
'dimples'.

> but I really
> would want to see one of these cases for myself.
> I would also try to avoid buying cases such as these for reasons I've
> described.

mo

Cut card washers for under the board?

Mo..

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:23:16 -0600, BoyatHeart wrote:

> First time I have used a case that has raised dimples where the
> motherboard mounts. No brass standoffs are included. If I were to use
> some I have from another installation, the board is raised to high for
> the connections to fit at the back. Does this mean I install the
> motherboard on the raised dimples, without standoffs? Thanks for your help!

Yes, install on the dimples. I've used about 5 of these cases, they work
just fine for ATX and mATX. You can use standoffs at any hole locations
that don't have corresponding dimples.

Andy