Desktop Right-Click

When right-clicking on desktop. there are four out of eight items blanked
out. They are 'Arrange Icons', 'Line up Icons', 'Paste' and 'Paste
Shortcut'.
Is it supposed to be that way and, if not, how can I fix it?

Harry.
20 answers Last reply
More about desktop right click

    webster72n wrote:
    > When right-clicking on desktop. there are four out of eight items
    > blanked out. They are 'Arrange Icons', 'Line up Icons', 'Paste' and
    > 'Paste Shortcut'.
    > Is it supposed to be that way and, if not, how can I fix it?

    No, it isn't supposed to be that way.

    Possibly those who spend more day-to-day on Win ME than I do will have a
    standard fix for this, but here's what comes to mind: Those items are
    controlled by Registry entries. If this problem only very recently began, a
    System Restore to a time it correctly worked would be likely solution.

    Additionally, it is possible there is a virus or other malicious software
    screwing with the system, so you should screen for that. In addition to
    whatever antivirus real-time software you are using, I would recommend you
    screen for parasites using these steps: http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    --
    Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows/Security
    Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/

    Hello Jim:

    The problem has to be registry related. Just yeterday I performed a "scanreg
    /restore", because my System Restore was not able to. I did it in Real-Mode
    DOS.
    It turned out really good, except for a few kinks which I was able to
    correct, barring this one.
    The reason I am almost 100% sure, it not being a case of
    malware or any other infectious detriment, everything you describe on your
    website is installed on my machine - and some. I also keep it up to date.
    As you said, hoprfully someone can come up with the proper solution.
    I did get a warning by Sygate about a "SPOOL.32.EXE"
    trying to gain access and I blocked it. Was I right?
    Thank you so much for your input, Jim.

    Harry.

    webster72n wrote:
    > I did get a warning by Sygate about a "SPOOL.32.EXE"
    > trying to gain access and I blocked it. Was I right?
    > Thank you so much for your input, Jim.

    SPOOL32.EXE is a legitimate Windows component - the print spooler
    executable - but I can't think why it would need to gain Internet access. If
    the other period is in there, then this is definitely a (potentially
    malicious) spoofing of the real file.

    --
    Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows/Security
    Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
    AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/

    Jim and Harry,

    Harry previously wrote ""SPOOL.32.EXE".
    Note the period between "spool" and "32", so we have a file with possibly
    two extensions, ... just as one might expect for malware.
    Or a typo?

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > webster72n wrote:
    > > I did get a warning by Sygate about a "SPOOL.32.EXE"
    > > trying to gain access and I blocked it. Was I right?
    > > Thank you so much for your input, Jim.
    >
    > SPOOL32.EXE is a legitimate Windows component - the print spooler
    > executable - but I can't think why it would need to gain Internet access.
    If
    > the other period is in there, then this is definitely a (potentially
    > malicious) spoofing of the real file.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows/Security
    > Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
    > AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/

    Jack and Jim:

    The extra period is there and definitely no 'typo'.
    Which means I am going to keep this item blocked.
    Where the disabled items on the desktop right click are concerned, I
    probably will do without them, because I don't use them anyway.
    On my stand-by Pc with Win98 I have the same thing,
    so I figure it is supposed to be that way.
    Maybe that's why nobody else is responding to it..
    Thank you both, Jim and Jack.

    Harry.

    > Jim and Harry,
    >
    > Harry previously wrote ""SPOOL.32.EXE".
    > Note the period between "spool" and "32", so we have a file with possibly
    > two extensions, ... just as one might expect for malware.
    > Or a typo?

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Jim Eshelman" <newsgroups@NSaumha.org> wrote in message
    > > webster72n wrote:
    > > > I did get a warning by Sygate about a "SPOOL.32.EXE"
    > > > trying to gain access and I blocked it. Was I right?
    > > > Thank you so much for your input, Jim.
    > >
    > > SPOOL32.EXE is a legitimate Windows component - the print spooler
    > > executable - but I can't think why it would need to gain Internet
    access.
    > If
    > > the other period is in there, then this is definitely a (potentially
    > > malicious) spoofing of the real file.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows/Security
    > > Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
    > > AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/

    Harry, you may wish to investigate the use of ShellExView from Nil Sofer, at
    www.nirsoft.net

    This is a really neat and powerful tool for examining shell extensions.
    Mike Maltby just recently pointed me to it, so I am not very experienced
    with it, ... but he is, and can help you sort out your "context menu"
    issues.
    Mr. Sofer has some interesting and helpful links on this issue, too, at his
    site.

    Highly recommended.

    And any file named "spool.32.exe" is a real candidate for malware, IMO. I
    bet Chris Quirke already knows about it.

    > Jack and Jim:
    >
    > The extra period is there and definitely no 'typo'.
    > Which means I am going to keep this item blocked.
    > Where the disabled items on the desktop right click are concerned, I
    > probably will do without them, because I don't use them anyway.
    > On my stand-by Pc with Win98 I have the same thing,
    > so I figure it is supposed to be that way.
    > Maybe that's why nobody else is responding to it..
    > Thank you both, Jim and Jack.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > Jim and Harry,
    > >
    > > Harry previously wrote ""SPOOL.32.EXE".
    > > Note the period between "spool" and "32", so we have a file with
    possibly
    > > two extensions, ... just as one might expect for malware.
    > > Or a typo?
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "Jim Eshelman" <newsgroups@NSaumha.org> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > SPOOL32.EXE is a legitimate Windows component - the print spooler
    > > > executable - but I can't think why it would need to gain Internet
    > access.
    > > If
    > > > the other period is in there, then this is definitely a (potentially
    > > > malicious) spoofing of the real file.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows/Security
    > > > Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
    > > > AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/

    Harry

    The 'Paste', and 'Paste Shortcut' options will be 'blanked out'
    if you don't have anything copied to the clip board.

    Not sure about the 'Arrange Icons', & 'Line up icons' these are always
    available on my box!

    George Gee

    *webster72n* has posted this message:

    > When right-clicking on desktop. there are four out of eight items
    > blanked out. They are 'Arrange Icons', 'Line up Icons', 'Paste' and
    > 'Paste Shortcut'.
    > Is it supposed to be that way and, if not, how can I fix it?
    >
    > Harry.

    Hello George:

    Finally a reply, thank you.
    But how can I correct it without a major "makeover"?
    Google didn't have an answer either and neither did anyone in a tech forum,
    at least so far.
    Thanks for trying, George.

    Harry.

    "George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message
    > Harry
    >
    > The 'Paste', and 'Paste Shortcut' options will be 'blanked out'
    > if you don't have anything copied to the clip board.
    >
    > Not sure about the 'Arrange Icons', & 'Line up icons' these are always
    > available on my box!
    >
    > George Gee
    >

    > *webster72n* has posted this message:
    >
    > > When right-clicking on desktop. there are four out of eight items
    > > blanked out. They are 'Arrange Icons', 'Line up Icons', 'Paste' and
    > > 'Paste Shortcut'.
    > > Is it supposed to be that way and, if not, how can I fix it?
    > >
    > > Harry.

    Jack:

    I really appreciate everyone's input, but it seems, the more
    I doctor around, the more trouble I encounter.
    While I was in the process of downloading and unzipping the 'nirext' file,
    strange things happened, to the extend that
    the explorer froze with a distorted desktop picture.
    Before that I lost my zip drive temporarily, after it changed its drive
    letter for a while.
    Being back to normal now (hopefully), I intend to leave things alone. I did
    run the application a bit with no negative consquences. Maybe something else
    was giving me trouble but, nonetheless, no more extravagances.
    Thank you very much, Jack.

    Harry.

    > Harry, you may wish to investigate the use of ShellExView from Nil Sofer,
    at
    > www.nirsoft.net
    >
    > This is a really neat and powerful tool for examining shell extensions.
    > Mike Maltby just recently pointed me to it, so I am not very experienced
    > with it, ... but he is, and can help you sort out your "context menu"
    > issues.
    > Mr. Sofer has some interesting and helpful links on this issue, too, at
    his
    > site.
    >
    > Highly recommended.
    >

    > And any file named "spool.32.exe" is a real candidate for malware, IMO. I
    > bet Chris Quirke already knows about it.

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Jack and Jim:
    > >
    > > The extra period is there and definitely no 'typo'.
    > > Which means I am going to keep this item blocked.
    > > Where the disabled items on the desktop right click are concerned, I
    > > probably will do without them, because I don't use them anyway.
    > > On my stand-by Pc with Win98 I have the same thing,
    > > so I figure it is supposed to be that way.
    > > Maybe that's why nobody else is responding to it..
    > > Thank you both, Jim and Jack.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > > Jim and Harry,
    > > >
    > > > Harry previously wrote ""SPOOL.32.EXE".
    > > > Note the period between "spool" and "32", so we have a file with
    > possibly
    > > > two extensions, ... just as one might expect for malware.
    > > > Or a typo?
    > > > --
    > > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > > ------
    > > > "Jim Eshelman" <newsgroups@NSaumha.org> wrote in message

    > > access.
    > > > If

    Harry,

    Maybe... Possibly.. "scanreg /fix" (using the same method as "scanreg
    /restore" - but you are not confronted by a selection of dates. It just
    'does it'.

    Mart

    > Hello George:
    >
    > Finally a reply, thank you.
    > But how can I correct it without a major "makeover"?
    > Google didn't have an answer either and neither did anyone in a tech
    > forum,
    > at least so far.
    > Thanks for trying, George.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message
    >> Harry
    >>
    >> The 'Paste', and 'Paste Shortcut' options will be 'blanked out'
    >> if you don't have anything copied to the clip board.
    >>
    >> Not sure about the 'Arrange Icons', & 'Line up icons' these are always
    >> available on my box!
    >>
    >> George Gee
    >>

    >> *webster72n* has posted this message:
    >>
    >> > When right-clicking on desktop. there are four out of eight items
    >> > blanked out. They are 'Arrange Icons', 'Line up Icons', 'Paste' and
    >> > 'Paste Shortcut'.
    >> > Is it supposed to be that way and, if not, how can I fix it?
    >> >
    >> > Harry.

    Mart:

    I already tried that one, but without success.
    My last resort maybe the link Jack provided in his post above. Wish me luck.
    Thank you, Mart.

    Harry.

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Harry,
    >
    > Maybe... Possibly.. "scanreg /fix" (using the same method as "scanreg
    > /restore" - but you are not confronted by a selection of dates. It just
    > 'does it'.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hello George:
    > >
    > > Finally a reply, thank you.
    > > But how can I correct it without a major "makeover"?
    > > Google didn't have an answer either and neither did anyone in a tech
    > > forum,
    > > at least so far.
    > > Thanks for trying, George.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message
    > >> Harry
    > >>
    > >> The 'Paste', and 'Paste Shortcut' options will be 'blanked out'
    > >> if you don't have anything copied to the clip board.
    > >>
    > >> Not sure about the 'Arrange Icons', & 'Line up icons' these are always
    > >> available on my box!
    > >>
    > >> George Gee
    > >>

    > >> *webster72n* has posted this message:

    Your report sounds suspiciously like a virus infection to me, Harry.

    I don't recognize your "nirext" file.
    This is the tool I wanted you to find:
    ShellExView v1.10 - Shell Extensions Manager
    Copyright (c) 2003 - 2004 Nir Sofer
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

    In any event, if you have a good ShellExView report, I recommend posting it
    here as an attachment, so Mike M can examine it.
    I will look, too, but he is far more likely to be able to help you with this
    issue.
    N.B. This tool is only a reporting aid, not a disinfection tool. You use
    it to find the problem and then manually fix the pest or misconfiguration.

    HTH,

    > Jack:
    >
    > I really appreciate everyone's input, but it seems, the more
    > I doctor around, the more trouble I encounter.
    > While I was in the process of downloading and unzipping the 'nirext' file,
    > strange things happened, to the extend that
    > the explorer froze with a distorted desktop picture.
    > Before that I lost my zip drive temporarily, after it changed its drive
    > letter for a while.
    > Being back to normal now (hopefully), I intend to leave things alone. I
    did
    > run the application a bit with no negative consquences. Maybe something
    else
    > was giving me trouble but, nonetheless, no more extravagances.
    > Thank you very much, Jack.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > Harry, you may wish to investigate the use of ShellExView from Nil
    Sofer,
    > at
    > > www.nirsoft.net
    > >
    > > This is a really neat and powerful tool for examining shell extensions.
    > > Mike Maltby just recently pointed me to it, so I am not very experienced
    > > with it, ... but he is, and can help you sort out your "context menu"
    > > issues.
    > > Mr. Sofer has some interesting and helpful links on this issue, too, at
    > his
    > > site.
    > >
    > > Highly recommended.
    > >

    > > And any file named "spool.32.exe" is a real candidate for malware, IMO.
    > > bet Chris Quirke already knows about it.
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Jack and Jim:
    > > >
    > > > The extra period is there and definitely no 'typo'.
    > > > Which means I am going to keep this item blocked.
    > > > Where the disabled items on the desktop right click are concerned, I
    > > > probably will do without them, because I don't use them anyway.
    > > > On my stand-by Pc with Win98 I have the same thing,
    > > > so I figure it is supposed to be that way.
    > > > Maybe that's why nobody else is responding to it..
    > > > Thank you both, Jim and Jack.
    > > >
    > > > Harry.
    > > >

    > > > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message

    > > possibly

    > > > access.

    Examine Nil Sofer's ShellExView report for any references to "Arrange Icons"
    or "Lineup icons", and/or similar items, in the context menu.
    Look for a report of any problems with any of them.

    Of course, if these particular context menu functions are part of the core
    Windows GUI, and not COM objects, you will see nothing about them in Sofer's
    report.

    > Mart:
    >
    > I already tried that one, but without success.
    > My last resort maybe the link Jack provided in his post above. Wish me
    luck.
    > Thank you, Mart.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Harry,
    > >
    > > Maybe... Possibly.. "scanreg /fix" (using the same method as "scanreg
    > > /restore" - but you are not confronted by a selection of dates. It just
    > > 'does it'.
    > >
    > > Mart
    > >

    > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Hello George:
    > > >
    > > > Finally a reply, thank you.
    > > > But how can I correct it without a major "makeover"?
    > > > Google didn't have an answer either and neither did anyone in a tech
    > > > forum,
    > > > at least so far.
    > > > Thanks for trying, George.
    > > >
    > > > Harry.
    > > >

    > > > "George Gee" <george.nomaps@ntlworld.xom> wrote in message

    Jack:

    I probably sounded wrong in my post reply to you..
    Please accept my apologies, it wasn't meant that way.
    I just couldn't understand how a virus, or anything else,
    could have gotten into my system with all the protection I have, Almost
    immediately prior to the incidence I had done a thorough check with every
    single utility.
    I am sure it wasn't the link you provided, giving me the trouble. And I
    don't even know what actually caused it.
    The way things straightened out, is next to miraculous to me, since I can't
    remember what in particular I had done
    to eleviate my problems.
    Nonetheless, all is well know and I intend to keep it that way.
    Thanks a million, Jack.

    Harry.

    > Examine Nil Sofer's ShellExView report for any references to "Arrange
    Icons"
    > or "Lineup icons", and/or similar items, in the context menu.
    > Look for a report of any problems with any of them.
    >
    > Of course, if these particular context menu functions are part of the core
    > Windows GUI, and not COM objects, you will see nothing about them in
    Sofer's
    > report.

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Mart:
    > >
    > > I already tried that one, but without success.
    > > My last resort maybe the link Jack provided in his post above. Wish me
    > luck.
    > > Thank you, Mart.
    > >
    > > Harry.
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > Harry,
    > > >
    > > > Maybe... Possibly.. "scanreg /fix" (using the same method as
    "scanreg
    > > > /restore" - but you are not confronted by a selection of dates. It
    just
    > > > 'does it'.
    > > >
    > > > Mart
    > > >

    > > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message

    > always

    Jack:

    In th hope *not* to duplicate myself, I am resending this reply, because
    indications are the first one got lost.
    To be sure, I am going to submit my PC to another thorough checkup.
    By trial and error I was able to find the solution to my
    initial request. 'Arrange Icons' and 'Line up Icons' becomes automatically
    visible, when checking 'Show desktop Items'. I usually have it disabled.
    'Paste' and 'Paste Shortcut' will not be visible, when there is no content
    on the Notepad, supposedly.
    If you still would like me to send the report you asked for, please, let me
    know. I'd be glad to accomodate.
    Thanks for sticking with me on this, Jack.

    Harry.

    Jack E Martinelli wrote:
    > Jim and Harry,
    >
    > Harry previously wrote ""SPOOL.32.EXE".
    > Note the period between "spool" and "32", so we have a file with
    > possibly two extensions, ... just as one might expect for malware.
    > Or a typo?

    Agreed all-around - hence my text (which you quoted):

    >> If the other period is in there, then this is definitely a
    >> (potentially malicious) spoofing of the real file.

    :)

    --
    Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows/Security
    Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
    AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Jim:

    After careful examination it turns out there is only one dot in the file
    name, hence no malicious infection, I am ever so glad to report and making
    the file legit. At first glance there definitely seemed to appear a dot
    behind 'SPOOL'.
    Thanks for your participation.

    > Jack E Martinelli wrote:
    > > Jim and Harry,
    > >
    > > Harry previously wrote ""SPOOL.32.EXE".
    > > Note the period between "spool" and "32", so we have a file with
    > > possibly two extensions, ... just as one might expect for malware.
    > > Or a typo?
    >
    > Agreed all-around - hence my text (which you quoted):
    >
    > >> If the other period is in there, then this is definitely a
    > >> (potentially malicious) spoofing of the real file.
    >
    > :)
    >

    > --
    > Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows/Security
    > Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
    > AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I confirm your results of disabling and enabling the "Show Desktop items"
    checkbox.
    Never knew that before, Harry. Thank you.
    I do very little "customization" of this box so that I am presumably seeing
    what most users posting in this ng are seeing.
    Never noticed this wrinkle before.

    And so we don't need any file/report for Mike M.

    I congratulate you on your patience and persistence.

> [...]
    > > ------
    > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Jack:
    > > >
    > > > I really appreciate everyone's input, but it seems, the more
    > > > I doctor around, the more trouble I encounter.
    > > > While I was in the process of downloading and unzipping the 'nirext'
    > file,
    > > > strange things happened, to the extend that
    > > > the explorer froze with a distorted desktop picture.
    > > > Before that I lost my zip drive temporarily, after it changed its
    drive
    > > > letter for a while.
    > > > Being back to normal now (hopefully), I intend to leave things alone.
    > > did
    > > > run the application a bit with no negative consquences. Maybe
    something
    > > else
    > > > was giving me trouble but, nonetheless, no more extravagances.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Congrats on your success!

    System Restore and Backup are your friends!

    > Jack:
    >
    > I probably sounded wrong in my post reply to you..
    > Please accept my apologies, it wasn't meant that way.
    > I just couldn't understand how a virus, or anything else,
    > could have gotten into my system with all the protection I have, Almost
    > immediately prior to the incidence I had done a thorough check with every
    > single utility.
    > I am sure it wasn't the link you provided, giving me the trouble. And I
    > don't even know what actually caused it.
    > The way things straightened out, is next to miraculous to me, since I
    can't
    > remember what in particular I had done
    > to eleviate my problems.
    > Nonetheless, all is well know and I intend to keep it that way.
    > Thanks a million, Jack.
    >
    > Harry.
    >

    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > Examine Nil Sofer's ShellExView report for any references to "Arrange
    > Icons"
    > > or "Lineup icons", and/or similar items, in the context menu.
    > > Look for a report of any problems with any of them.
    > >
    > > Of course, if these particular context menu functions are part of the
    core
    > > Windows GUI, and not COM objects, you will see nothing about them in
    > Sofer's
    > > report.
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Mart:
    > > >
    > > > I already tried that one, but without success.
    > > > My last resort maybe the link Jack provided in his post above. Wish me
    > > luck.
    > > > Thank you, Mart.
    > > >
    > > > Harry.
    > > >

    > > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "scanreg
    > just

    > > always

    > and

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Jack:

    It is a pleasure being here with people like you.
    I am the one who must thank you and I do it whole heartedly.
    Thanks to you and all those contributing in this NG.

    Harry.

Desktops Microsoft Icons Windows