Wireless Network Printing Without Network Printer

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 12, 2005 2:28:01 AM

I was surprised recently to find out from a friend that I could share a non
network-capable printer without a print server. Let me spell what I have out
for you:

I have a desktop computer, with a local printer attached. It is connected to
the Internet through a hard connection, but I have a wireless router for when
I have my work notebook computer at home (we have wireless at work). I am
able to access the Internet from my wireless router downstairs, but so far,
didn't know I could actually print from downstairs too, with my notebook. I
was expecting to have to need a wireless print server, so I could print my
work documents on my local printer, but my friend said it wasn't necessary. I
just tried to play around with my sharing settings on the notebook, but
didn't have any success. I tried to activate sharing on the desktop computer
- and think I did - but I'm not sure if it worked or if there are other steps
necessary. Does anyone know how to set it up so I can print from my notebook
downstairs to my local printer on my home computer upstairs?
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:09:46 PM

On your desktop, find the printer (Control panel - printers), right click on
the printer icon, select sharing, choose "Share this printer", give it a
name, OK. On your notebook you shuld now be able to connect to the printer
on your desktop...

Sorry if this explanation is not understandable, english is not my native
language, but I think you will be able to sort this out.

Knut
"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
>I was surprised recently to find out from a friend that I could share a non
> network-capable printer without a print server. Let me spell what I have
> out
> for you:
>
> I have a desktop computer, with a local printer attached. It is connected
> the Internet through a hard connection, but I have a wireless router for
> when
> I have my work notebook computer at home (we have wireless at work). I am
> able to access the Internet from my wireless router downstairs, but so
> far,
> didn't know I could actually print from downstairs too, with my notebook.
> was expecting to have to need a wireless print server, so I could print my
> work documents on my local printer, but my friend said it wasn't
> necessary. I
> just tried to play around with my sharing settings on the notebook, but
> didn't have any success. I tried to activate sharing on the desktop
> computer
> - and think I did - but I'm not sure if it worked or if there are other
> steps
> necessary. Does anyone know how to set it up so I can print from my
> notebook
> downstairs to my local printer on my home computer upstairs?

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:09:47 PM

Thanks for your help. I think I tried that, but will try again. Does the name
on the desktop and notebook have to be the same? What settings should I
change on the notebook, if any?

Doug

"DS NTE" wrote:

> On your desktop, find the printer (Control panel - printers), right click on
> the printer icon, select sharing, choose "Share this printer", give it a
> name, OK. On your notebook you shuld now be able to connect to the printer
> on your desktop...
>
> Sorry if this explanation is not understandable, english is not my native
> language, but I think you will be able to sort this out.
>
> Knut
> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
> >I was surprised recently to find out from a friend that I could share a non
> > network-capable printer without a print server. Let me spell what I have
> > out
> > for you:
> >
> > I have a desktop computer, with a local printer attached. It is connected
> > the Internet through a hard connection, but I have a wireless router for
> > when
> > I have my work notebook computer at home (we have wireless at work). I am
> > able to access the Internet from my wireless router downstairs, but so
> > far,
> > didn't know I could actually print from downstairs too, with my notebook.
> > was expecting to have to need a wireless print server, so I could print my
> > work documents on my local printer, but my friend said it wasn't
> > necessary. I
> > just tried to play around with my sharing settings on the notebook, but
> > didn't have any success. I tried to activate sharing on the desktop
> > computer
> > - and think I did - but I'm not sure if it worked or if there are other
> > steps
> > necessary. Does anyone know how to set it up so I can print from my
> > notebook
> > downstairs to my local printer on my home computer upstairs?

Related resources
July 13, 2005 2:00:36 AM

Once you enable "sharing" of your printer (from desktop) ... from your laptop
choose "add printer" then select "from network" (or some similar verbiage)
Browse to the printer. In theory the "driver" will be sent via the network from
the desktop computer to the laptop and installed.
Sometimes there are problems when the operating systems are not the same and you
have to manually install the printer driver on the remote computer.
Also... I don't remember if you have to first "network" the computers. If so,
use the network wizard. You will have to have a common "workgroup" name. This
can by any name you want.
Don't "share" the entire computer. Meaning don't share you C drive. If you do
setup a network and want to share files... just share one folder and copy files
into that folder to make them available to the other computer. Also make the
shared folder "read only". I think that works best for the typical home network.

Doug wrote:
> Thanks for your help. I think I tried that, but will try again. Does the name
> on the desktop and notebook have to be the same? What settings should I
> change on the notebook, if any?
>
> Doug
>
> "DS NTE" wrote:
>
>> On your desktop, find the printer (Control panel - printers), right click on
>> the printer icon, select sharing, choose "Share this printer", give it a
>> name, OK. On your notebook you shuld now be able to connect to the printer
>> on your desktop...
>>
>> Sorry if this explanation is not understandable, english is not my native
>> language, but I think you will be able to sort this out.
>>
>> Knut
>> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
>>> I was surprised recently to find out from a friend that I could share a non
>>> network-capable printer without a print server. Let me spell what I have
>>> out
>>> for you:
>>>
>>> I have a desktop computer, with a local printer attached. It is connected
>>> the Internet through a hard connection, but I have a wireless router for
>>> when
>>> I have my work notebook computer at home (we have wireless at work). I am
>>> able to access the Internet from my wireless router downstairs, but so
>>> far,
>>> didn't know I could actually print from downstairs too, with my notebook.
>>> was expecting to have to need a wireless print server, so I could print my
>>> work documents on my local printer, but my friend said it wasn't
>>> necessary. I
>>> just tried to play around with my sharing settings on the notebook, but
>>> didn't have any success. I tried to activate sharing on the desktop
>>> computer
>>> - and think I did - but I'm not sure if it worked or if there are other
>>> steps
>>> necessary. Does anyone know how to set it up so I can print from my
>>> notebook
>>> downstairs to my local printer on my home computer upstairs?
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 4:10:24 AM

Hi Doug

Your desktop and notebook are connected to the same network, right ? Your
description is not very clear on that point. If they both are on the same
network try to install the shared printer from your notebook. You could also
try to share one of the folders on your desktop, are you able to access that
from your notebook ?

Knut
(same guy, different location)

!