wireless keyboard and mouse

greetings,

have setup a work area at home. the PC's are about 3meters apart and i find
that if i use the keyboard and mouse on the one machine it interferes /
intercepts the comms to the other one and visa versa. Any reason for this?
Should this be happening? If not, how do i fix?

thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about wireless keyboard mouse

    "Joe Black" <maverick@mailbox.co.za> wrote:

    >have setup a work area at home. the PC's are about 3meters apart and i
    >find that if i use the keyboard and mouse on the one machine it
    >interferes / intercepts the comms to the other one and visa versa. Any
    >reason for this? Should this be happening? If not, how do i fix?

    What are the makes and models? You might be able to change the channel
    by pressing a button on the devices. My older cordless devices have a
    button underneath which says Channel. Apparently my newer ones adjust
    automatically. You might also try the manufacturer's web site. Good
    luck.

    In article <cnf6sb$1ssu$1@newsreader02.ops.uunet.co.za>, Joe Black
    says...

    > greetings,
    >
    > have setup a work area at home. the PC's are about 3meters apart and i find
    > that if i use the keyboard and mouse on the one machine it interferes /
    > intercepts the comms to the other one and visa versa. Any reason for this?
    > Should this be happening? If not, how do i fix?

    Yes, you're using wireless gear and they're both on the same channel.
    THere was an article a year ago about some people who found they could
    operate other peoples PCs across the street - same problem.

    --
    Conor

    Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.

    i dont want to fiddle with the channel button as there is a Wifi Access
    Point in close by which is used for the LAN which might just be affected.

    any other ideas? ;(

    "Joe Black" <maverick@mailbox.co.za> wrote in message
    >i dont want to fiddle with the channel button as there is a Wifi Access
    > Point in close by which is used for the LAN which might just be affected.
    >
    > any other ideas? ;(

    No...

    If both keyboards are using the same channel, then they will both be
    operating at the same frequency and signals from all devices will be arrive
    at and be listened to by both receivers. The channel change option is there
    to solve exactly the problem you have, so if you are not prepared to change
    the channels on the devices, then you will have to live with the problem. An
    alternative is to physically block the signal from crossing between
    computers - put a large wall or big metal sheet between the 2 PCs?
    Personally, I would go with pressing the little button under the keyboard!

    Joe Black wrote:

    > i dont want to fiddle with the channel button as there is a Wifi Access
    > Point in close by which is used for the LAN which might just be affected.
    >
    > any other ideas? ;(

    Yeah, only turn on one PC.

    You can't just wish it away so either change the frequency or buy a
    different keyboard/mouse for one of them.

    > "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Joe Black" <maverick@mailbox.co.za> wrote:
    >>

    >>>have setup a work area at home. the PC's are about 3meters apart and i
    >>>find that if i use the keyboard and mouse on the one machine it
    >>>interferes / intercepts the comms to the other one and visa versa. Any
    >>>reason for this? Should this be happening? If not, how do i fix?
    >>
    >>What are the makes and models? You might be able to change the channel
    >>by pressing a button on the devices. My older cordless devices have a
    >>button underneath which says Channel. Apparently my newer ones adjust
    >>automatically. You might also try the manufacturer's web site. Good
    >>luck.

    thanks. Will this interfere with the wifi frequency?

    Joe Black wrote:
    > thanks. Will this interfere with the wifi frequency?

    Unlikely, but try it and see. you can always switch it back...

    Martin

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:50:49 +0200, "Joe Black"
    <maverick@mailbox.co.za> wrote:

    >greetings,
    >
    >have setup a work area at home. the PC's are about 3meters apart and i find
    >that if i use the keyboard and mouse on the one machine it interferes /
    >intercepts the comms to the other one and visa versa. Any reason for this?
    >Should this be happening? If not, how do i fix?
    >
    >thanks

    If they're RF, put them on different channels. Wireless sets usually
    offer at least two channels. If there's more than two PCs, you may
    need to move them out of range of each other (not sure what the
    extreme range is for these things) or use a tethered keyboard/mouse
    set for some machines.

    If it's infrared, either move the computers further apart, or put some
    sort of line of sight opaque divider between them to block the stray
    beams.

    MCheu

    Joe Black wrote:
    > greetings,
    >
    > have setup a work area at home. the PC's are about 3meters apart and i find
    > that if i use the keyboard and mouse on the one machine it interferes /
    > intercepts the comms to the other one and visa versa. Any reason for this?
    > Should this be happening? If not, how do i fix?
    >
    > thanks

    So you have two wireless keyboard/mouse sets, one on each computer? Are
    they the same brand and model?

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    yes to all questions. They are both MS models and both have RF receivers.

    > thanks. Will this interfere with the wifi frequency?
    >
    > "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Joe Black" <maverick@mailbox.co.za> wrote in message
    > > >i dont want to fiddle with the channel button as there is a Wifi Access
    > > > Point in close by which is used for the LAN which might just be
    > affected.
    > > >
    > > > any other ideas? ;(
    > >
    > > No...
    > >
    > > If both keyboards are using the same channel, then they will both be
    > > operating at the same frequency and signals from all devices will be
    > arrive
    > > at and be listened to by both receivers. The channel change option is
    > there
    > > to solve exactly the problem you have, so if you are not prepared to
    > change
    > > the channels on the devices, then you will have to live with the
    problem.
    > An
    > > alternative is to physically block the signal from crossing between
    > > computers - put a large wall or big metal sheet between the 2 PCs?
    > > Personally, I would go with pressing the little button under the
    keyboard!

    Wifi uses a large number of channels and keeps moving from one to
    another. This is to stop interference from other devices .
    Mike.

Homebuilt Wireless Mice Keyboards Systems