Spyware problem with "...command=regedit.exe "%1"

Each day I run the spyware programs and virus program.
Lately Spy-bot and Ad-Aware have been detecting the
following entry into the WinME CLASSES registry
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\=regedit.exe "%1"

My first question is what is it, and where is it coming
from? Seems that Windows loads it. I say that because I've
been trying to determine the culprit by not automatically
starting programs.

The next question is how dangerous is it?

Finally, how do I get rid of it (if it really is dangerous)
once and for all?

Thanks,
Dave
28 answers Last reply
More about spyware problem command regedit

    Those software are flagging that ?

    Looks pretty normal to me.

    Basically it is saying the class of files known as "regfile" are to be opened by REGEDIT.EXE
    with the name of the file being the first switch parameter.

    The only question I have is that the exact syntax ?

    I ask this because of the equal sign (=) before REGEDIT.EXE.

    --
    Dave

    Dave Boland wrote:
    > Each day I run the spyware programs and virus program. Lately Spy-bot
    > and Ad-Aware have been detecting the following entry into the WinME
    > CLASSES registry
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\=regedit.exe "%1"
    >
    > My first question is what is it, and where is it coming from? Seems
    > that Windows loads it. I say that because I've been trying to determine
    > the culprit by not automatically starting programs.
    >
    > The next question is how dangerous is it?
    >
    > Finally, how do I get rid of it (if it really is dangerous) once and for
    > all?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    Mine commonly flag Regedit as an MRU item if that helps... perhaps it
    thinks you should rename regedit to something else for security's sake
    or at least disable the .reg association.

    Rick

    Dave Boland wrote:
    > Each day I run the spyware programs and virus program.
    > Lately Spy-bot and Ad-Aware have been detecting the
    > following entry into the WinME CLASSES registry
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\=regedit.exe "%1"
    >
    > My first question is what is it, and where is it coming
    > from? Seems that Windows loads it. I say that because I've
    > been trying to determine the culprit by not automatically
    > starting programs.
    >
    > The next question is how dangerous is it?
    >
    > Finally, how do I get rid of it (if it really is dangerous)
    > once and for all?

    You've had a lot of helpful responses. I doubt it's a problem, but that
    isn't completely clear yet.

    What I haven't seen is anyone give you a recommendation for how to identify
    whether or not there really is a problem, and what to do about it if there
    is. Here are the steps I recommend:
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    --
    Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows/Security
    Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/

    Dave,

    I'm unclear as to why SpyBot or AdAware should be flagging this entry as
    it is quite normal although I'm a bit uncertain about the nomenclature
    used. Basically I would expect to see at the key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command
    the Default string value: regedit.exe "%1"

    What this means is that in association with the key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.reg
    the default action when attempting to open a file with a REG extension is
    to use Regedit.exe.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Dave Boland <NOSPAMdboland9@stny.rr.com> wrote:

    > Each day I run the spyware programs and virus program.
    > Lately Spy-bot and Ad-Aware have been detecting the
    > following entry into the WinME CLASSES registry
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\=regedit.exe "%1"
    >
    > My first question is what is it, and where is it coming
    > from? Seems that Windows loads it. I say that because I've
    > been trying to determine the culprit by not automatically
    > starting programs.
    >
    > The next question is how dangerous is it?
    >
    > Finally, how do I get rid of it (if it really is dangerous)
    > once and for all?

    "Dave Boland" <NOSPAMdboland9@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Each day I run the spyware programs and virus program. Lately Spy-bot and
    > Ad-Aware have been detecting the following entry into the WinME CLASSES
    > registry
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\=regedit.exe "%1"

    Strange. That is the registry key that sets Regedit as the default
    application for opening *.reg files (Registration Entries) and is perfectly
    legit. So when you double-click a (valid) file with a .reg extension,
    Regedit.exe opens it - and you're asked if you want to add the information
    in whatever.reg into the registry. Click Yes, and it goes in.

    The default action for d-clicking a reg file can be changed to Edit, thus to
    open in a text editor instead, which is much safer. Then if you know you
    want to add the information within it to the registry, you r-click and
    select Merge.

    However, I fail to see why Spybot and Ad-aware are alerting on this entry,
    or if they're set to alert on changes, why that one has been changed (to
    what it should be anyway!). What else do they say, what are the details?

    Shane

    > The default action for d-clicking a reg file can be changed to Edit, thus
    > to open in a text editor instead, which is much safer. Then if you know
    > you want to add the information within it to the registry, you r-click and
    > select Merge.
    >
    > However, I fail to see why Spybot and Ad-aware are alerting on this entry,
    > or if they're set to alert on changes, why that one has been changed (to
    > what it should be anyway!).

    Unless it was previously set to open regfiles in Notepad and has now been
    reverted?

    Shane

    Shane wrote:
    >> The default action for d-clicking a reg file can be changed to Edit,
    >> thus to open in a text editor instead, which is much safer. Then if
    >> you know you want to add the information within it to the registry,
    >> you r-click and select Merge.
    >>
    >> However, I fail to see why Spybot and Ad-aware are alerting on this
    >> entry, or if they're set to alert on changes, why that one has been
    >> changed (to what it should be anyway!).
    >
    > Unless it was previously set to open regfiles in Notepad and has now
    > been reverted?

    You can change this entry back and forth with these Registry patches from
    http://aumha.org/regfiles.htm -

    To set .REG files to open in Notepad by default:
    http://aumha.org/downloads/editreg.zip

    To set .REG files back to open with RegEdit by default:
    http://aumha.org/downloads/uneditreg.zip

    --

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > Those software are flagging that ?
    >
    > Looks pretty normal to me.
    >
    > Basically it is saying the class of files known as "regfile" are to be opened by REGEDIT.EXE
    > with the name of the file being the first switch parameter.
    >
    > The only question I have is that the exact syntax ?
    >
    > I ask this because of the equal sign (=) before REGEDIT.EXE.

    David and others,

    After doing some more homework, here is what I'm finding.

    1. As soon as WindowsME is up, I run regedit to look at
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\open\command The contents are
    actually Name = [Default], and Data = "D:\SCRIPT
    SENTRY\SCRIPTSENTRY.exe "%1"%"

    Script Sentry is a program to protect my system from scripts
    that are used in Microsoft products. This is a program that
    I installed.

    2. I run Spybot and it says:
    Common Extension hijack: Default registry file handler
    (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\=regedit.exe
    "%1"

    This is what will be in the entry if I except it. I'm not
    going to accept it because I want Script Sentry to process
    it first.

    So, I guess I have a false alarm?

    Dave,

    Yes. It looked at SCRIPT SENTRY as malware.

    --
    Dave L.

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    | > Those software are flagging that ?
    | >
    | > Looks pretty normal to me.
    | >
    | > Basically it is saying the class of files known as "regfile" are to be opened by
    REGEDIT.EXE
    | > with the name of the file being the first switch parameter.
    | >
    | > The only question I have is that the exact syntax ?
    | >
    | > I ask this because of the equal sign (=) before REGEDIT.EXE.
    | >

    | David and others,
    |
    | After doing some more homework, here is what I'm finding.
    |
    | 1. As soon as WindowsME is up, I run regedit to look at
    | HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\open\command The contents are
    | actually Name = [Default], and Data = "D:\SCRIPT
    | SENTRY\SCRIPTSENTRY.exe "%1"%"
    |
    | Script Sentry is a program to protect my system from scripts
    | that are used in Microsoft products. This is a program that
    | I installed.
    |
    | 2. I run Spybot and it says:
    | Common Extension hijack: Default registry file handler
    | (Registry change, nothing done)
    | HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\=regedit.exe
    | "%1"
    |
    | This is what will be in the entry if I except it. I'm not
    | going to accept it because I want Script Sentry to process
    | it first.
    |
    | So, I guess I have a false alarm?
    |
    | Dave,

    "Dave Boland" <NOSPAMdboland9@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
    > David H. Lipman wrote:
    >> Those software are flagging that ?
    >>
    >> Looks pretty normal to me.
    >>
    >> Basically it is saying the class of files known as "regfile" are to be
    >> opened by REGEDIT.EXE
    >> with the name of the file being the first switch parameter.
    >>
    >> The only question I have is that the exact syntax ?
    >>
    >> I ask this because of the equal sign (=) before REGEDIT.EXE.
    >>

    > David and others,
    >
    > After doing some more homework, here is what I'm finding.
    >
    > 1. As soon as WindowsME is up, I run regedit to look at
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\open\command The contents are actually Name =
    > [Default], and Data = "D:\SCRIPT SENTRY\SCRIPTSENTRY.exe "%1"%"
    >
    > Script Sentry is a program to protect my system from scripts that are used
    > in Microsoft products. This is a program that I installed.
    >
    > 2. I run Spybot and it says:
    > Common Extension hijack: Default registry file handler (Registry change,
    > nothing done)
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\=regedit.exe "%1"
    >
    > This is what will be in the entry if I except it. I'm not going to accept
    > it because I want Script Sentry to process it first.
    >
    > So, I guess I have a false alarm?

    Yes. You should set SB and AAW to ignore that particular on.

    Shane

    "Jim Eshelman" <newsgroups@NSaumha.org> wrote in message
    > Shane wrote:
    >>> The default action for d-clicking a reg file can be changed to Edit,
    >>> thus to open in a text editor instead, which is much safer. Then if
    >>> you know you want to add the information within it to the registry,
    >>> you r-click and select Merge.
    >>>
    >>> However, I fail to see why Spybot and Ad-aware are alerting on this
    >>> entry, or if they're set to alert on changes, why that one has been
    >>> changed (to what it should be anyway!).
    >>
    >> Unless it was previously set to open regfiles in Notepad and has now
    >> been reverted?
    >
    > You can change this entry back and forth with these Registry patches from
    > http://aumha.org/regfiles.htm -
    >
    > To set .REG files to open in Notepad by default:
    > http://aumha.org/downloads/editreg.zip
    >
    > To set .REG files back to open with RegEdit by default:
    > http://aumha.org/downloads/uneditreg.zip

    I did look for those, Jim (hence why my post was later than Dave and
    Mike's). Didn't see them in the Registry section and thought better of
    elaborating further.

    Shane

    Rather than using a registry patch to open REG files in notepad or regedit
    all that is necessary is to use Control Panel | Folder Options | File
    Types, select the REG extension, click Advanced and set the default action
    to Edit (to open in Notepad) or Merge (to run using Regedit).
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> You can change this entry back and forth with these Registry patches
    >> from http://aumha.org/regfiles.htm -
    >>
    >> To set .REG files to open in Notepad by default:
    >> http://aumha.org/downloads/editreg.zip
    >>
    >> To set .REG files back to open with RegEdit by default:
    >> http://aumha.org/downloads/uneditreg.zip
    >>

    > I did look for those, Jim (hence why my post was later than Dave and
    > Mike's). Didn't see them in the Registry section and thought better of
    > elaborating further.

    Personally, I have to go through configuring EditpadLite to open/edit .reg -
    and all the other ascii-type files. The reg file is convenient, but I must
    remember to edit it for Editpad and to set the others too, sometime!

    Shane

    > Rather than using a registry patch to open REG files in notepad or regedit
    > all that is necessary is to use Control Panel | Folder Options | File
    > Types, select the REG extension, click Advanced and set the default action
    > to Edit (to open in Notepad) or Merge (to run using Regedit).
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >> You can change this entry back and forth with these Registry patches
    > >> from http://aumha.org/regfiles.htm -
    > >>
    > >> To set .REG files to open in Notepad by default:
    > >> http://aumha.org/downloads/editreg.zip
    > >>
    > >> To set .REG files back to open with RegEdit by default:
    > >> http://aumha.org/downloads/uneditreg.zip
    > >>

    > > I did look for those, Jim (hence why my post was later than Dave and
    > > Mike's). Didn't see them in the Registry section and thought better of
    > > elaborating further.

    I originally tried Editpad on Koldbear's recommendation. It must be the
    anniversary of his death any day now. I've got some red coming back from
    France tomorrow, think I'll raise a glass to the ol' bugger!

    Shane

    "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Personally, I have to go through configuring EditpadLite to open/edit
    ..reg -
    > and all the other ascii-type files. The reg file is convenient, but I must
    > remember to edit it for Editpad and to set the others too, sometime!
    >

    > Shane
    >

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > Rather than using a registry patch to open REG files in notepad or
    regedit
    > > all that is necessary is to use Control Panel | Folder Options | File
    > > Types, select the REG extension, click Advanced and set the default
    action
    > > to Edit (to open in Notepad) or Merge (to run using Regedit).
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    > > > I did look for those, Jim (hence why my post was later than Dave and
    > > > Mike's). Didn't see them in the Registry section and thought better of
    > > > elaborating further.

    Thank you Shane for reminding me of Koldbear.

    --
    Dave

    Dave Boland wrote:
    > Each day I run the spyware programs and virus program. Lately Spy-bot
    > and Ad-Aware have been detecting the following entry into the WinME
    > CLASSES registry
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command\=regedit.exe "%1"
    >
    > My first question is what is it, and where is it coming from? Seems
    > that Windows loads it. I say that because I've been trying to determine
    > the culprit by not automatically starting programs.
    >
    > The next question is how dangerous is it?
    >
    > Finally, how do I get rid of it (if it really is dangerous) once and for
    > all?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    Thank you all!! I really appreciate your help!

    Dave,
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike M wrote:
    > Rather than using a registry patch to open REG files in notepad or
    > regedit all that is necessary is to use Control Panel | Folder
    > Options | File Types, select the REG extension, click Advanced and
    > set the default action to Edit (to open in Notepad) or Merge (to run
    > using Regedit).

    That's easier than clicking a .REG file? <g>

    --
    Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows/Security
    Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
    AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Well, here we go, Dave.........(glass of red).........*To Koldbear!*

    Shane

    > Thank you Shane for reminding me of Koldbear.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    >

    > "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | I originally tried Editpad on Koldbear's recommendation. It must be the
    > | anniversary of his death any day now. I've got some red coming back from
    > | France tomorrow, think I'll raise a glass to the ol' bugger!
    > |

    > | Shane

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    A shot of JD -- in the memory of *Koldbear !*
    < gulp >

    --

    | Well, here we go, Dave.........(glass of red).........*To Koldbear!*
    |

    | Shane

    | > Thank you Shane for reminding me of Koldbear.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | I originally tried Editpad on Koldbear's recommendation. It must be the
    | > | anniversary of his death any day now. I've got some red coming back from
    | > | France tomorrow, think I'll raise a glass to the ol' bugger!
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Shane
    | > |

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Jim Eshelman wrote:

    > That's easier than clicking a .REG file? <g>

    Aren't you supposed to double click it? A considerable more effort than
    just "clicking it". (Sorry Mike... and Jim, it's a wide open shot...)

    John
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    John John wrote:
    > Jim Eshelman wrote:
    >
    >> That's easier than clicking a .REG file? <g>
    >
    > Aren't you supposed to double click it? A considerable more effort
    > than just "clicking it". (Sorry Mike... and Jim, it's a wide open
    > shot...)

    On any Windows version from 98 onward, the option for single-click launch is
    available ... and I do tend to assume that the rest of the world is as lazy
    as me! <vbg>

    --
    Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows/Security
    Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
    AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Jim Eshelman wrote:

    > On any Windows version from 98 onward, the option for single-click launch is
    > available ... and I do tend to assume that the rest of the world is as lazy
    > as me! <vbg>

    So what do you do if you want to just highlight something or drag'n'drop ?

    Rick
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Yes, as it puts everything in the hand of the user rather than requiring
    them to go to a third party site and download a tool to do it for them.
    Better also perhaps in that they learn something about what they are
    doing. :-)
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Jim Eshelman <newsgroups@NSaumha.org> wrote:

    > Mike M wrote:
    >> Rather than using a registry patch to open REG files in notepad or
    >> regedit all that is necessary is to use Control Panel | Folder
    >> Options | File Types, select the REG extension, click Advanced and
    >> set the default action to Edit (to open in Notepad) or Merge (to run
    >> using Regedit).
    >
    > That's easier than clicking a .REG file? <g>
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Well I'm just as lazy have been through 98 to XP <g>
    Joan

    Jim Eshelman wrote:

    > On any Windows version from 98 onward, the option for single-click launch is
    > available ... and I do tend to assume that the rest of the world is as lazy
    > as me! <vbg>

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Jim Eshelman wrote:

    > On any Windows version from 98 onward, the option for single-click launch is
    > available ... and I do tend to assume that the rest of the world is as lazy
    > as me! <vbg>

    You mean I have been doing all that work for the last 5 or 6 years for
    nothing! All the lost time double clicking... time I could have spent
    doing nothing instead. I think I'll go lie down and think about that
    for a while...

    John
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Rick

    I've used single-click for years, I can't understand anyone wanting to use
    double-click.
    To highlight something using single-click, just point at it.
    To drag and drop, just point at it, and drag it.

    George Gee

    *Rick T* has posted this message:
    So what do you do if you want to just highlight something or
    drag'n'drop ?

    Rick

    > Jim Eshelman wrote:
    >
    >> On any Windows version from 98 onward, the option for single-click
    >> launch is available ... and I do tend to assume that the rest of the
    >> world is as lazy as me! <vbg>
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Rick T wrote:
    > Jim Eshelman wrote:
    >
    >> On any Windows version from 98 onward, the option for single-click
    >> launch is available ... and I do tend to assume that the rest of the
    >> world is as lazy as me! <vbg>
    >
    > So what do you do if you want to just highlight something or
    > drag'n'drop ?

    Highlight: Hold mouse over the item for a second or two

    Drag-and-drop: Click-and-drag

    --
    Jim Eshelman, MS-MVP Windows/Security
    Windows Support Center: http://aumha.org/
    AumHa Forums: http://aumha.net/
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Jim Eshelman wrote:
    > Rick T wrote:
    >
    >>Jim Eshelman wrote:
    >>

    >>>On any Windows version from 98 onward, the option for single-click
    >>>launch is available ... and I do tend to assume that the rest of the
    >>>world is as lazy as me! <vbg>
    >>
    >>So what do you do if you want to just highlight something or
    >>drag'n'drop ?
    >

    > Highlight: Hold mouse over the item for a second or two
    >
    > Drag-and-drop: Click-and-drag

    thanks, thanks :)

    Rick

Command Prompt Spyware Regedit Windows