2 PCs sharing same monitor, mouse, keyboard

I have 2 PCs I want to use at once, shared the same monitor, mouse and
keyboard. I bought a Data Switch device, I made all connections, but I have
no so good display on TFT monitor (double shapes and letters or shadows).
Also sometimes either mouse or keyboard freezes. Is there any idea how to
solve these problems? Alternatively, is there another solution to have
sharing monitor-mouse-keyboard with 2 PCs?
Thanks in advance

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"girapas" <girapas@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 PCs I want to use at once, shared the same monitor, mouse and
>keyboard. I bought a Data Switch device, I made all connections, but I have
>no so good display on TFT monitor (double shapes and letters or shadows).
>Also sometimes either mouse or keyboard freezes. Is there any idea how to
>solve these problems? Alternatively, is there another solution to have
>sharing monitor-mouse-keyboard with 2 PCs?
> Thanks in advance
My belkin switch says its no good for TFT panels. No idea why, but thats
what it says. You could alternatively use Remote Desktop to access one PC
from the other if thats any use.

John

"girapas" <girapas@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have 2 PCs I want to use at once, shared the same monitor, mouse and
> keyboard. I bought a Data Switch device, I made all connections, but I
have
> no so good display on TFT monitor (double shapes and letters or shadows).
> Also sometimes either mouse or keyboard freezes. Is there any idea how to
> solve these problems? Alternatively, is there another solution to have
> sharing monitor-mouse-keyboard with 2 PCs?
> Thanks in advance

What do you mean by Data Switch? Are you talking about a switch on the
monitor or a KVM? If its a KVM keep cabling as short as possible and make
sure the connections are secure. To reset my KVM you have to remove power to
all of the computers attached to it. Unplugging them is best.

I have an IOGear KVM. No problem with NEC LCD monitor.

HTH

In article <hSKmd.38723$Es2.827845@twister2.libero.it>, girapas says...

www.realvnc.com

--
Conor

Normality will be restored once we work out what normality actually is.

"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "girapas" <girapas@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have 2 PCs I want to use at once, shared the same monitor, mouse and
>> keyboard. I bought a Data Switch device, I made all connections, but I
> have
>> no so good display on TFT monitor (double shapes and letters or shadows).
>> Also sometimes either mouse or keyboard freezes. Is there any idea how to
>> solve these problems? Alternatively, is there another solution to have
>> sharing monitor-mouse-keyboard with 2 PCs?
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> What do you mean by Data Switch? Are you talking about a switch on the
> monitor or a KVM? If its a KVM keep cabling as short as possible and make
> sure the connections are secure. To reset my KVM you have to remove power
> all of the computers attached to it. Unplugging them is best.
>
> I have an IOGear KVM. No problem with NEC LCD monitor.
>
> HTH

Thanks for the responses. I think the problem is my cheap/poor
specifications Data Switch. I'm interested in IOGear. Which model do you
use?
The site of KVM Switches has different models for 2 PCs. Miniview Micro2 and
Miniview Compact (selfpowered), Miniview SE 2 (external power)?

> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > "girapas" <girapas@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> I have 2 PCs I want to use at once, shared the same monitor, mouse and
> >> keyboard. I bought a Data Switch device, I made all connections, but I
> > have
> >> no so good display on TFT monitor (double shapes and letters or
shadows).
> >> Also sometimes either mouse or keyboard freezes. Is there any idea how
> >> solve these problems? Alternatively, is there another solution to have
> >> sharing monitor-mouse-keyboard with 2 PCs?
> >> Thanks in advance
> >>

> > What do you mean by Data Switch? Are you talking about a switch on the
> > monitor or a KVM? If its a KVM keep cabling as short as possible and
make
> > sure the connections are secure. To reset my KVM you have to remove
power
> > all of the computers attached to it. Unplugging them is best.
> >
> > I have an IOGear KVM. No problem with NEC LCD monitor.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> Thanks for the responses. I think the problem is my cheap/poor
> specifications Data Switch. I'm interested in IOGear. Which model do you
> use?
> The site of KVM Switches has different models for 2 PCs. Miniview Micro2
and
> Miniview Compact (selfpowered), Miniview SE 2 (external power)?

I had the Miniview Micro. Sold it to a friend so I could get a 4 port. The
extra ports are nice but the 2 port is easier to switch.

girapas wrote:
> I have 2 PCs I want to use at once, shared the same monitor, mouse and
> keyboard. I bought a Data Switch device, I made all connections, but I have
> no so good display on TFT monitor (double shapes and letters or shadows).

That's because you're a cheap bastard. Buy a KVM switch with emulation.

> Also sometimes either mouse or keyboard freezes. Is there any idea how to
> solve these problems?

Buy a proper KVM you cheap bastard.

> Alternatively, is there another solution to have
> sharing monitor-mouse-keyboard with 2 PCs?

Buy a proper KVM you cheap bastard.

> Thanks in advance

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:05:48 +0800, spodosaurus
<spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>Buy a proper KVM you cheap bastard.

Even the expensive KVM switches can be problematic. A friend uses them
at work and he says they all seem to develop problems eventually. I
gave up on mine (Linksys) because sometimes on boot up the keyboard
wouldn't work, it worked fine for the first two months. I ended up
just setting up two completely seperate systems and dumped the KVM
idea.

>>Buy a proper KVM you cheap bastard.
>

> Even the expensive KVM switches can be problematic. A friend uses them
> at work and he says they all seem to develop problems eventually. I
> gave up on mine (Linksys) because sometimes on boot up the keyboard
> wouldn't work, it worked fine for the first two months. I ended up
> just setting up two completely seperate systems and dumped the KVM
> idea.

I tried a KVM once. Took it back within a week. They are a great
idea that just doesn't work very well.

Trout wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:05:48 +0800, spodosaurus
> <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>

>>Buy a proper KVM you cheap bastard.
>

> Even the expensive KVM switches can be problematic. A friend uses them
> at work and he says they all seem to develop problems eventually.

Been using 2 for years, one of which is a cheap sitecom one (but one
with emulation, NOT a data switch, which is like $14 or some such and
will not perform the way the OP wants it to).

> gave up on mine (Linksys) because sometimes on boot up the keyboard
> wouldn't work, it worked fine for the first two months.

My other one is a linksys, and I'm using it right now. No issues despite
having a wireless mouse and keyboard.

> I ended up
> just setting up two completely seperate systems and dumped the KVM
> idea.

I used to do that, but it's much easier when you're using both systems
almost at once to just click ctrl twice and not have to shift your chair
100000000000000000000000000 times a day to look at a different monitor
and use a different keyboard and mouse.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:49:26 +0800, spodosaurus
<spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

>Been using 2 for years, one of which is a cheap sitecom one (but one
>with emulation, NOT a data switch, which is like $14 or some such and
>will not perform the way the OP wants it to).

Well, we all get lucky now and again. :)

ronin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001

"girapas" <girapas@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Si1od.43626$Ni.1531637@twister1.libero.it>...
> Thank you all for your replies

I'm using a IOGEAR KVM and it is great. I have never had aproblem
with the mouse or keyboard freezong up, and the switching does not
need software...you just hit scroll lock button 2 times.

most importantly there is no annoying delay between when you switch
and when the mouse becaomes active even with USB mouse.

I have tried other KVM's but founf them lacking.