Hard drive re-use question...

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2004 4:51:21 PM

As the result of a recent upgrade (OK...it was essentially a new build
except for the optical drives and case...but don't tell my SO!), I have
a perfectly functional but 40 GB EIDI hard drive sitting in a drawer.

I have multiple machines with available IDE channels. My only real
concern is that this drive is already formatted and contains the Windows
XP install from its previous life. Any tips on making sure that it
doesn't end up being seen as the boot device upon installation (once
it's in I'll simply reformat...)?

Thanks

More about : hard drive question

November 17, 2004 4:51:22 PM

set it as slave
unless there is a boot altering BAT file it will be seen as a slave
drive.

<ropeyarn@gmail.com> wrote in message
> As the result of a recent upgrade (OK...it was essentially a new
build
> except for the optical drives and case...but don't tell my SO!), I
have
> a perfectly functional but 40 GB EIDI hard drive sitting in a
drawer.

> I have multiple machines with available IDE channels. My only real
> concern is that this drive is already formatted and contains the
Windows
> XP install from its previous life. Any tips on making sure that it
> doesn't end up being seen as the boot device upon installation (once
> it's in I'll simply reformat...)?
>

> Thanks
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2004 7:06:53 PM

JAD wrote:

> set it as slave
> unless there is a boot altering BAT file it will be seen as a slave
> drive.

Thanks very much....and I assume once up and running with this newly
lettered slave drive, I can safely delete the residual OS files on it???
Related resources
November 17, 2004 7:06:54 PM

yep they will no longer be 'protected' system folders.

> JAD wrote:
> >
> > set it as slave
> > unless there is a boot altering BAT file it will be seen as a
slave
> > drive.
> >

> Thanks very much....and I assume once up and running with this newly
> lettered slave drive, I can safely delete the residual OS files on
it???
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 3:16:16 AM

ropeyarn@gmail.com wrote:

>As the result of a recent upgrade (OK...it was essentially a new
>build except for the optical drives and case...but don't tell my
>SO!), I have a perfectly functional but 40 GB EIDI hard drive sitting
>in a drawer.
>I have multiple machines with available IDE channels. My only real
>concern is that this drive is already formatted and contains the
>Windows XP install from its previous life. Any tips on making sure
>that it doesn't end up being seen as the boot device upon
>installation (once it's in I'll simply reformat...)?

By a disk manager (PartitionMagic or whatever). It's almost as useful
as the operating system itself. And remember to always back up any
important files. Good luck.
November 19, 2004 8:24:33 PM

If a machine already has its own C: disk to boot from, your 40 gb EIDI can
be connected to this machine with any position other than c:, be IDE0,
slave, or be IDE1 master or slave, it will be treated like another data HD,
you can do whatever you want to do.

<ropeyarn@gmail.com> ???????:419B9DA9.E0CDE0CF@adelphia.net...

!