Users and Passwords

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 9, 2005 7:47:29 PM

At the log on screen I do not understand how to stop
unautorized log on's. When I go into the "Users" screen
under control panel I can add users. But it does not
prevent others from adding their name at log on and then
that defaults the new name to back to the "users" screen.
Or the other possibilty that is going on is users can just
cancel thru the long on screen. Does anyone know how to
fix this?

More about : users passwords

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 11:57:20 AM

The only way to fix that is to upgrade to an NT Operating System. Maybe
some third party tools exist to secure ME logons but I don't know any.
In other words, that's what you get as far as ME security goes.

John

Walt wrote:

> At the log on screen I do not understand how to stop
> unautorized log on's. When I go into the "Users" screen
> under control panel I can add users. But it does not
> prevent others from adding their name at log on and then
> that defaults the new name to back to the "users" screen.
> Or the other possibilty that is going on is users can just
> cancel thru the long on screen. Does anyone know how to
> fix this?
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 4:23:02 PM

As JJ has implied, WinMe does not have a very secure password system. If you
want something a bit more secure, check-out Doug Knox's "Secure Your
Computer" free utility at the following URL:-
http://www.dougknox.com/security/validated.htm

WARNING!! Be sure to read his recommendation!!

HTH and good luck

Mart

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> The only way to fix that is to upgrade to an NT Operating System. Maybe
> some third party tools exist to secure ME logons but I don't know any. In
> other words, that's what you get as far as ME security goes.
>
> John
>
> Walt wrote:
>
>> At the log on screen I do not understand how to stop unautorized log
>> on's. When I go into the "Users" screen under control panel I can add
>> users. But it does not prevent others from adding their name at log on
>> and then that defaults the new name to back to the "users" screen. Or
>> the other possibilty that is going on is users can just cancel thru the
>> long on screen. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:11:19 PM

Here is my now badly out-of-date file on this issue:

The Windows Registry Guide provides a range of registry tweaks for Windows,
including the prevention of "cancel" at logon. http://www.winguides.com/
It will not secure the computer, but can be a deterrant to unsavvy computer
users.
--
Grazzer
_-Oo_

Ron Badour, MS MVP, has previously listed several
share- and freeware utilities which "secure" folders under Win9X:

Magic Folders 2.0
www.pc-magic.com $US 19

FolderLock 2.0
www.sihs.bizland.com/fldrlock.exe

SafeLock
www.sihs.bizland.com/safeloc.exe

File Protector 1.6
www.mikkoaj.hypermart.net/fileprot.html

Norman Access Control
www.norman.no/products_nac.html

WorkStationLock
www.possum.com/worklock.html $US 5

Sentry
www.pc-shareware.com/sentry.htm $US 19
-----------

Also "Startup Cop". http://www.pcmag.com/utilities

-----------

And this
System Enhancer V1.0

1. Can add more security to the security warning in Outlook 2000.
2. Restrict access to almost everything on Your Desktop
3. Restrict access to Control Panel Applets, Regedit, Internet Explorer
Favorites, Navigation Buttons.
4. Increase Network Performance.
5. Increase Modem Performance.
6. Add backgound images to Outlook,Explorer,Internet Explorer Toolbar.
7. Tidy up installations Add/Remove Programs.
8. Display Attribute Column In Windows Explorer.
9. Optimizing Dial-up connection speed.
10. Disable Desktop Context Menu.
11. Restrict Access To Internet Explorer Favorites.
12. Restrict Access To Internet Explorer Toolbar.
13. Restrict Access To Internet Explorer Tools Option.

Over a 100 tools available in this one application

Free To Try Software: New Ver. 1.1 10/01.
Download From http://www.cjpsoftware.com/cjpsoftware.cjp
----
And this
PC Security™
http://www.tropsoft.com/pcsecurity/prodinfo.htm
----

IMO, the following two programs, when used in conjunction with each
other, offer a great deal of flexibility and will satisfy many security
needs.
They can be used to control access to executables as well as data, have
so far proven highly reliable, and are free for non-commercial use:
Cryptext at http://www.pcug.org.au/~njpayne
ScramDisk at http://www.samsimpson.com/scramdisk.php

--
Grazzer 9/20/2002