184 pin dimms- "low density" or "high density"???

How do I tell if a pc3200 dimm is "low density" or "high density"??
Even if I have the model number of the dimm before I buy it, all the
spec sheet says is "Density: 1024". And I can't even tell if my mobo
will take high density or not, it doesn't say so in the manual.

How do I know if it's "low density" or "high density"?
12 answers Last reply
More about dimms density high density

    "mrbog" <dterrors@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How do I tell if a pc3200 dimm is "low density" or "high density"??
    > Even if I have the model number of the dimm before I buy it, all the
    > spec sheet says is "Density: 1024". And I can't even tell if my mobo
    > will take high density or not, it doesn't say so in the manual.
    >
    > How do I know if it's "low density" or "high density"?

    Go to Crucial.com, put in your MB brand or let it ck your system.
    They will tell you what works on your board.
    http://www.crucial.com/

    MrKoko

    "Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet> wrote in message news:<VoCdnfUVI6q-EwHcRVn-ow@comcast.com>...
    > "mrbog" <dterrors@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > How do I tell if a pc3200 dimm is "low density" or "high density"??
    > > Even if I have the model number of the dimm before I buy it, all the
    > > spec sheet says is "Density: 1024". And I can't even tell if my mobo
    > > will take high density or not, it doesn't say so in the manual.
    > >
    > > How do I know if it's "low density" or "high density"?
    >
    > Go to Crucial.com, put in your MB brand or let it ck your system.
    > They will tell you what works on your board.
    > http://www.crucial.com/
    >
    > MrKoko

    Yea but that only tells me what Crucial memory will go in my pc. I
    want to be able to buy more than just crucial. Is this low density or
    high density:

    Korea 0348 PC3200U-30331-B2 M368L2923BTM- CCC 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3

    "mrbog" <alsnow@gmail.com> wrote in message >> > How do I know if it's "low density" or "high
    density"?

    >> Go to Crucial.com, put in your MB brand or let it ck your system.
    >> They will tell you what works on your board.
    >> http://www.crucial.com/
    >>
    >> MrKoko
    >
    > Yea but that only tells me what Crucial memory will go in my pc. I
    > want to be able to buy more than just crucial. Is this low density or
    > high density:
    >
    > Korea 0348 PC3200U-30331-B2 M368L2923BTM- CCC 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3

    This is from the Crucial FAQ's.... hope this helps.

    MrKoko
    Is there an advantage to buying higher density modules?

    Whenever you upgrade your memory, you should take into consideration the number of slots you have,
    whether you plan to upgrade again in the future, and the current prices for memory modules. Because
    the memory market can fluctuate quite a bit, it is sometimes less expensive to purchase a higher
    density part, like a 128MB module, while at other times it is less expensive to purchase two lower
    density parts, like two 64MB modules. If you are planning to keep your system for several more years
    and think you might want to add more memory later, look at how many open slots are left in your
    system. If you have quite a few open slots, it probably doesn't matter whether you buy the low- or
    high-density modules. However, if you only have one or two open slots left, you may want to purchase
    the higher density module now.

    Is this low density or
    > high density:
    >
    > Korea 0348 PC3200U-30331-B2 M368L2923BTM- CCC 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3

    If your board can take that, i wouldnt worry about it. Just get whatever
    size of PC3200 or higher ram you want.

    hamman

    And I thought that "density" mattered only on SDRAM memory.. On that there
    was also the problem of double versus single sided memory sticks..

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Hamman" <none@example.com> wrote in message news:<wemdnQVPD5PCkQDcRVnyhQ@eclipse.net.uk>...
    > Is this low density or
    > > high density:
    > >
    > > Korea 0348 PC3200U-30331-B2 M368L2923BTM- CCC 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3
    >
    > If your board can take that, i wouldnt worry about it. Just get whatever
    > size of PC3200 or higher ram you want.
    >
    > hamman

    See my original post "And I can't even tell if my mobo

    Thomas Wendell wrote:
    > And I thought that "density" mattered only on SDRAM memory.. On that there
    > was also the problem of double versus single sided memory sticks..

    I've never heard of low density ddr, either.

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6718793064

    mrbog wrote:
    > spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message news:<419dd1d6$1@quokka.wn.com.au>...
    >
    >>Thomas Wendell wrote:
    >>
    >>>And I thought that "density" mattered only on SDRAM memory.. On that there
    >>>was also the problem of double versus single sided memory sticks..
    >>>

    >>I've never heard of low density ddr, either.
    >>

    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6718793064

    Well, you learn something new everyday! A brief bit of extra research
    seems to indicate that low density ddr is pretty much universally
    compatible, but high density ddr MAY have problems in some systems.
    Until you actually tell us what motherboard you're using, you're likely
    to get most people who are able to help you ignoring this thread.

    spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message news:<419ee281$1@quokka.wn.com.au>...

    > Well, you learn something new everyday! A brief bit of extra research
    > seems to indicate that low density ddr is pretty much universally
    > compatible, but high density ddr MAY have problems in some systems.
    > Until you actually tell us what motherboard you're using, you're likely
    > to get most people who are able to help you ignoring this thread.

    But my question was: "How do I tell if a pc3200 dimm is 'low density'
    or 'high density'?? "

    I shouldn't have to tell my mobo for that. (Even if my mobo can take
    high density, I don't want to buy a high density dimm, it's less
    resellable .)
  11. If you have to question whether to buy high or low density then just buy the low density since the high density is only compatible with 10 percent of motherboards. And if you get a high density when your motherboard is low density then the ram you get will show up as half of what it really is. Like, if you get a 1 gig stick then it will only show up as 512 mb.
  12. Year! 2004.

Homebuilt Hardware DIMM Systems Product