184 pin dimms- "low density" or "high density"???

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2004 2:05:34 PM

How do I tell if a pc3200 dimm is "low density" or "high density"??
Even if I have the model number of the dimm before I buy it, all the
spec sheet says is "Density: 1024". And I can't even tell if my mobo
will take high density or not, it doesn't say so in the manual.

How do I know if it's "low density" or "high density"?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 9:57:22 AM

"mrbog" <dterrors@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I tell if a pc3200 dimm is "low density" or "high density"??
> Even if I have the model number of the dimm before I buy it, all the
> spec sheet says is "Density: 1024". And I can't even tell if my mobo
> will take high density or not, it doesn't say so in the manual.
>
> How do I know if it's "low density" or "high density"?

Go to Crucial.com, put in your MB brand or let it ck your system.
They will tell you what works on your board.
http://www.crucial.com/

MrKoko
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 1:46:11 PM

"Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet> wrote in message news:<VoCdnfUVI6q-EwHcRVn-ow@comcast.com>...
> "mrbog" <dterrors@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > How do I tell if a pc3200 dimm is "low density" or "high density"??
> > Even if I have the model number of the dimm before I buy it, all the
> > spec sheet says is "Density: 1024". And I can't even tell if my mobo
> > will take high density or not, it doesn't say so in the manual.
> >
> > How do I know if it's "low density" or "high density"?
>
> Go to Crucial.com, put in your MB brand or let it ck your system.
> They will tell you what works on your board.
> http://www.crucial.com/
>
> MrKoko

Yea but that only tells me what Crucial memory will go in my pc. I
want to be able to buy more than just crucial. Is this low density or
high density:

Korea 0348 PC3200U-30331-B2 M368L2923BTM- CCC 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 8:45:36 PM

"mrbog" <alsnow@gmail.com> wrote in message >> > How do I know if it's "low density" or "high
density"?

>> Go to Crucial.com, put in your MB brand or let it ck your system.
>> They will tell you what works on your board.
>> http://www.crucial.com/
>>
>> MrKoko
>
> Yea but that only tells me what Crucial memory will go in my pc. I
> want to be able to buy more than just crucial. Is this low density or
> high density:
>
> Korea 0348 PC3200U-30331-B2 M368L2923BTM- CCC 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3

This is from the Crucial FAQ's.... hope this helps.

MrKoko
Is there an advantage to buying higher density modules?

Whenever you upgrade your memory, you should take into consideration the number of slots you have,
whether you plan to upgrade again in the future, and the current prices for memory modules. Because
the memory market can fluctuate quite a bit, it is sometimes less expensive to purchase a higher
density part, like a 128MB module, while at other times it is less expensive to purchase two lower
density parts, like two 64MB modules. If you are planning to keep your system for several more years
and think you might want to add more memory later, look at how many open slots are left in your
system. If you have quite a few open slots, it probably doesn't matter whether you buy the low- or
high-density modules. However, if you only have one or two open slots left, you may want to purchase
the higher density module now.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 18, 2004 11:56:00 PM

Is this low density or
> high density:
>
> Korea 0348 PC3200U-30331-B2 M368L2923BTM- CCC 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3

If your board can take that, i wouldnt worry about it. Just get whatever
size of PC3200 or higher ram you want.

hamman
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2004 10:40:45 AM

And I thought that "density" mattered only on SDRAM memory.. On that there
was also the problem of double versus single sided memory sticks..

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet> kirjoitti viestissä
news:D MOdnYiBUuySuwDcRVn-qw@comcast.com...

> "mrbog" <alsnow@gmail.com> wrote in message >> > How do I know if it's
"low density" or "high
> density"?
> >>
> >> Go to Crucial.com, put in your MB brand or let it ck your system.
> >> They will tell you what works on your board.
> >> http://www.crucial.com/
> >>
> >> MrKoko
> >
> > Yea but that only tells me what Crucial memory will go in my pc. I
> > want to be able to buy more than just crucial. Is this low density or
> > high density:
> >
> > Korea 0348 PC3200U-30331-B2 M368L2923BTM- CCC 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3
>

> This is from the Crucial FAQ's.... hope this helps.
>
> MrKoko
> Is there an advantage to buying higher density modules?
>
> Whenever you upgrade your memory, you should take into consideration the
number of slots you have,
> whether you plan to upgrade again in the future, and the current prices
for memory modules. Because
> the memory market can fluctuate quite a bit, it is sometimes less
expensive to purchase a higher
> density part, like a 128MB module, while at other times it is less
expensive to purchase two lower
> density parts, like two 64MB modules. If you are planning to keep your
system for several more years
> and think you might want to add more memory later, look at how many open
slots are left in your
> system. If you have quite a few open slots, it probably doesn't matter
whether you buy the low- or
> high-density modules. However, if you only have one or two open slots
left, you may want to purchase
> the higher density module now.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2004 2:51:14 PM

"Hamman" <none@example.com> wrote in message news:<wemdnQVPD5PCkQDcRVnyhQ@eclipse.net.uk>...
> Is this low density or
> > high density:
> >
> > Korea 0348 PC3200U-30331-B2 M368L2923BTM- CCC 1GB DDR PC3200 CL3
>
> If your board can take that, i wouldnt worry about it. Just get whatever
> size of PC3200 or higher ram you want.
>
> hamman

See my original post "And I can't even tell if my mobo
will take high density or not, it doesn't say so in the manual."
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2004 9:58:31 PM

Thomas Wendell wrote:
> And I thought that "density" mattered only on SDRAM memory.. On that there
> was also the problem of double versus single sided memory sticks..

I've never heard of low density ddr, either.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 19, 2004 9:58:32 PM

spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message news:<419dd1d6$1@quokka.wn.com.au>...
> Thomas Wendell wrote:
> > And I thought that "density" mattered only on SDRAM memory.. On that there
> > was also the problem of double versus single sided memory sticks..
> >

> I've never heard of low density ddr, either.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6718...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2004 5:21:54 PM

mrbog wrote:
> spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message news:<419dd1d6$1@quokka.wn.com.au>...
>
>>Thomas Wendell wrote:
>>
>>>And I thought that "density" mattered only on SDRAM memory.. On that there
>>>was also the problem of double versus single sided memory sticks..
>>>

>>I've never heard of low density ddr, either.
>>

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6718...

Well, you learn something new everyday! A brief bit of extra research
seems to indicate that low density ddr is pretty much universally
compatible, but high density ddr MAY have problems in some systems.
Until you actually tell us what motherboard you're using, you're likely
to get most people who are able to help you ignoring this thread.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 22, 2004 4:57:07 PM

spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in message news:<419ee281$1@quokka.wn.com.au>...

> Well, you learn something new everyday! A brief bit of extra research
> seems to indicate that low density ddr is pretty much universally
> compatible, but high density ddr MAY have problems in some systems.
> Until you actually tell us what motherboard you're using, you're likely
> to get most people who are able to help you ignoring this thread.

But my question was: "How do I tell if a pc3200 dimm is 'low density'
or 'high density'?? "

I shouldn't have to tell my mobo for that. (Even if my mobo can take
high density, I don't want to buy a high density dimm, it's less
resellable .)
May 25, 2009 9:50:29 AM

If you have to question whether to buy high or low density then just buy the low density since the high density is only compatible with 10 percent of motherboards. And if you get a high density when your motherboard is low density then the ram you get will show up as half of what it really is. Like, if you get a 1 gig stick then it will only show up as 512 mb.
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2009 1:40:13 PM

Year! 2004.
!