Restore problem

I tried to read what others have said but instead all I got was gobbly beloved patriot
about food. Could we just stick to technical stuff here? Thank you.
Is it really necessary to have that whole Restore program? It causes
nothing but trouble and I haven't used it in 2 years. Furthermore, I keep
getting those "can't install %1 and %2" while rebooting, plus a whole lot of
Explorer errors. I couldn't even update the critical updates. Three times
I tried and it wasn't until I put a checkmark beside disable restore that I
was able to install the critical updates. I'd love to hear your feedback.

System Restore causes few if any problems and is a great tool to enable
users to dig themselves out of the holes which they dig for themselves
such as for example after installing software sold by Symantec. Naturally
I understand that users can do what they want with their PCs and if that
includes trashing their PCs by buying and installing Win Me incompatible
software that is hardly the fault of Microsoft.

The solution to the %1 %2 problem you saw is easy to fix and is frequently
the result of the user having installed Symantec's LiveUpdate.

First boot to DOS using a floppy and check whether you have a WININIT.INI
file in your C:\WINDOWS folder. If present rename it to something like
wininit.old and try booting again. It is also probable that you will have
to repeat the last software install or update that you made. See MS
KB283069 - "Error Message: Windows Could Not Upgrade the File %1 from %2
%1: %2 (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=283069).

If you can't find a wininit.ini file then I suspect your problem is due to
the C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder having around 64K files in it which is the
limit (2**16) for the number of files that can be located in a folder
using the FAT32 filing system. This then results in the "Cannot upgrade
file %1 from %2.." message when booting. I suggest you try deleting the
_RESTORE folder with the loss of any system restore checkpoints you might
have (not that I think they are now usable) and see if that solves the
problem. Delete the folder as follows:
a) Boot to DOS using a floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot" from the menu
when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer with (or
without) CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be
available.
b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:

ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
and then
REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

c) Remove the floppy
d) Reboot your PC

Another problem is that the install/update you were doing will not have
been completely installed so your system may still be unusable and the
install/update will need to be repeated.

e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder: System |
Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to
your preferred setting. A figure of 200MB is normally more than adequate
for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available
although increasing this to perhaps 400MB for a few days during periods of
large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Rikki <erika.c@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I tried to read what others have said but instead all I got was
> gobbly beloved patriot about food. Could we just stick to technical stuff here?
> Thank you.
> Is it really necessary to have that whole Restore program? It causes
> nothing but trouble and I haven't used it in 2 years. Furthermore, I
> keep getting those "can't install %1 and %2" while rebooting, plus a
> whole lot of Explorer errors. I couldn't even update the critical
> updates. Three times I tried and it wasn't until I put a checkmark
> beside disable restore that I was able to install the critical
> updates. I'd love to hear your feedback.

I concur with Mike Maltby.
For many casual users, and some not so casual, System Restore is an easy
recovery tool. For some, it is the only available working tool.
Even I have only been able to avoid a WinME reinstallation, on several
occasions, by using SR to recover from "Windows Protection Error".

If you think you continue to have problems related to SR or SFP, I strongly
urge you to ask for help here, where Mike M is our leading expert on such
problems, and is ably assisted by Noel Paton, and on occasion, by shane and
Mart. We can get your machine running in fine order using the very good SR
tool.

Now, any preferred "junk" software is another issue.

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> [...]
> large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Rikki <erika.c@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > I tried to read what others have said but instead all I got was
> > gobbly beloved patriot about food. Could we just stick to technical stuff here?
> > Thank you.
> > Is it really necessary to have that whole Restore program? It causes
> > nothing but trouble and I haven't used it in 2 years. Furthermore, I
> > keep getting those "can't install %1 and %2" while rebooting, plus a
> > whole lot of Explorer errors. I couldn't even update the critical
> > updates. Three times I tried and it wasn't until I put a checkmark
> > beside disable restore that I was able to install the critical
> > updates. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Following up:

See the post from George, 2/8/2005, in this ng, titled "Please Help IE
Problem!"
where using SR easily resolved an apparent complex network configuration
problem.